<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Strong schedule guys, sure to be an awesome week!
Very happy and excited that Animal Crossing got in.  Thanks again!
Really stoked for the minecraft race by two great players! Definitely gonna be the highlight of this AGDQ!
Quote from ABookshelf:
Really stoked for the minecraft race by two great players! Definitely gonna be the highlight of this AGDQ!
Hax I used all of my strengthz
ninja GUYden you say?
Lot of great stuff on this schedule!  Sad Super Mario Kart got cut, though, that's my favorite game and I think it's tremendously impressive to watch.

Still, many other cool things.  And even the Minecraft run people are whining about will be fun, I watched the video and was quite entertained.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I'm glad people are mostly taking second round well.

Superstar Saga: This is more of a time constrant than anything else. I can see the game getting into a future marathon.

Minecraft: This isn't a race, it's a co-op run. I'm not sure where people are getting the race from.

Yes, I will admit Minecraft is there because it will likely do well in donations and it will appeal to a wider audience. I am also aware it is not really a game that is run in the speedrunning community. That being said, the two runners involved do get consistently below 2 hours. This is not much different from Heart of the Swarm AGDQ 2014, where we are catering to a community outside of speedrunning, Starcraft 2, and it's shorter.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think there will be enough appeal to warrant it on the schedule.
fast video games
i think minecraft is a great thing to have. Its a popular game so i think people will brought in by it.
Shame dark forces 1 got cut. oh wells. best of luck with the rest of the schedule
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Run video editing will be going live sometime tomorrow, run comments are now live (pending Mike actually adding comments, which will take time). Just keep in mind Mike isn't going to add a comment for every run ever.

Also, a small change to the all submissions page: it no longer shows rejects for performance reasons. One can deduce that if it's no longer listed, it's a reject Tongue
Glad I was able to get in. Just giving my two cents, but please don't make mm10 a bid war, or at least I'd think it wouldn't do well as a bid war. Pretty good list overall.
A lot of interesting runs to watch for next year. Looking forward to watching Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and more!
Edit history:
Bismuth: 2014-09-25 08:18:22 pm
Worthless categories WR master
I see some talk about Minecraft, here's my take on it that I posted somewhere else a couple weeks ago.

I know I am obviously biased, but I believe that speedrunning Minecraft on a random seed is the worst RNG-based speedrun of all. Worse than Pokémon, worse than GE007 Frigate runs, even worse than Binding of Isaac, worse than anything. I do not understand why anybody would put in extended efforts into optimizing a random seed run, as a single average run with insane luck (think 1/10000 or less even) done by someone with any decent skill could potentially be impossible to beat in 99% of the seeds, all because of luck. I also believe that purposely avoiding faster versions of the game (that are all readily available by simply clicking on a button in the options) has no good purpose. Basically, with every new patch - and we know this game gets a lot of them - all the previous runs are gone. Not relevant anymore. That insane time you just got last week? Outdated, useless. We 1.8.1 now, sorry. I think that is just totally stupid. Worse even, every time a new patch comes out, a new WR is up for grabs, woohoo! Finish an any% run in any time you want, you have WR because all the good runs were done in the previous version and are therefore automatically disqualified. It makes no sense to me at all.

That being said, random seed with no duplication definitely requires a different set of skills than regular any%, a respectable set of skills that I do not deny. Getting a really good time is extremely hard, and there is definitely skill and planning involved even with the high RNG factor. But you cannot seriously optimize times. It simply does not make sense. Runs are incomparable: too many variables, too many major, major differences between each one of them, since every run is quite literally a whole different world. I refuse to believe this is a serious competitive category, as it is driven almost entirely by blind luck. I do not deny the entertainment it has, but the competitive aspect that all speedruns naturally have is missing in this one. However, a marathon setting is probably the only place that really suits this run: the final time doesn't matter too much and it is considered "more legitimate" to a lot of ignorant, but numerous viewers when compared to set seed on 1.2, and probably considered more entertaining, too. Therefore, this run seems like a good fit.

I will gladly step down and let people who are more known than me play something that will most probably please the crowds more, especially since I had my turn last year, and variation is always welcome over repeating runs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the any% set seed being on the waitlist means that it might replace the current run in the case of a cancellation, so if it were to happen in a way that would leave me enough time to prepare, I could take the spot.

TL;DR: Will it be frame-perfect with an optimized route? No. Will it be clutch, adapting to RNG on the fly and skillful? Hopefully. Will it be entertaining? Yes. Is it an inherently competitive category? No.
Terraffirmative!
That's an interesting post for someone with the title "Worthless categories WR master"
Edit history:
Bismuth: 2014-09-25 08:31:25 pm
Is that an actual jab at the credibility of my post? My title is a reference to something completely unrelated and it would be a shame to disregard the opinion of a Minecraft runner because of an unrelated joke that's not even in my post.
Quote from mikwuyma:
I'm glad people are mostly taking second round well.

Superstar Saga: This is more of a time constrant than anything else. I can see the game getting into a future marathon.

Minecraft: This isn't a race, it's a co-op run. I'm not sure where people are getting the race from.

Yes, I will admit Minecraft is there because it will likely do well in donations and it will appeal to a wider audience. I am also aware it is not really a game that is run in the speedrunning community. That being said, the two runners involved do get consistently below 2 hours. This is not much different from Heart of the Swarm AGDQ 2014, where we are catering to a community outside of speedrunning, Starcraft 2, and it's shorter.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think there will be enough appeal to warrant it on the schedule.

My mistake, but a co-op run will be really interesting nonetheless! Maybe its not a typical speedrunning game but people should be open minded!
The Great Farming Empire
Quick question. Does the "total time" account for duplicate submissions for the same run, or is it literally all of the submissions put together?

Looks pretty good so far. Town With No Name HYPE. Smiley
If time does open up later for Superstar Saga hopefully I would hopefully get enough notice to ask for time off from work.  Otherwise, I'll just submit it again for SGDQ next year.

Either way, good luck to everyone who was selected.  I know I'll be anxiously waiting for the Castlevania 4 race.
Hax I used all of my strengthz
If you need me for NG3/NG Relay or as a backup just say the word, ill pop in hundreds more hours.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
sonikkustar, if you're talking about the gamesdonequick.com page, then no, it doesn't account for duplicates. If you're talking about the spreadsheet, then it does.
The Great Farming Empire
Yeah, I was talking about the spreadsheet. Good to know.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from Crak Atak:
If you need me for NG3/NG Relay or as a backup just say the word, ill pop in hundreds more hours.

Yes, you would be going against infestedriche in NG3.
Quote from Bismuth:
I see some talk about Minecraft, here's my take on it that I posted somewhere else a couple weeks ago.

I know I am obviously biased, but I believe that speedrunning Minecraft on a random seed is the worst RNG-based speedrun of all. Worse than Pokémon, worse than GE007 Frigate runs, even worse than Binding of Isaac, worse than anything. I do not understand why anybody would put in extended efforts into optimizing a random seed run, as a single average run with insane luck (think 1/10000 or less even) done by someone with any decent skill could potentially be impossible to beat in 99% of the seeds, all because of luck. I also believe that purposely avoiding faster versions of the game (that are all readily available by simply clicking on a button in the options) has no good purpose. Basically, with every new patch - and we know this game gets a lot of them - all the previous runs are gone. Not relevant anymore. That insane time you just got last week? Outdated, useless. We 1.8.1 now, sorry. I think that is just totally stupid. Worse even, every time a new patch comes out, a new WR is up for grabs, woohoo! Finish an any% run in any time you want, you have WR because all the good runs were done in the previous version and are therefore automatically disqualified. It makes no sense to me at all.

That being said, random seed with no duplication definitely requires a different set of skills than regular any%, a respectable set of skills that I do not deny. Getting a really good time is extremely hard, and there is definitely skill and planning involved even with the high RNG factor. But you cannot seriously optimize times. It simply does not make sense. Runs are incomparable: too many variables, too many major, major differences between each one of them, since every run is quite literally a whole different world. I refuse to believe this is a serious competitive category, as it is driven almost entirely by blind luck. I do not deny the entertainment it has, but the competitive aspect that all speedruns naturally have is missing in this one. However, a marathon setting is probably the only place that really suits this run: the final time doesn't matter too much and it is considered "more legitimate" to a lot of ignorant, but numerous viewers when compared to set seed on 1.2, and probably considered more entertaining, too. Therefore, this run seems like a good fit.

I will gladly step down and let people who are more known than me play something that will most probably please the crowds more, especially since I had my turn last year, and variation is always welcome over repeating runs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the any% set seed being on the waitlist means that it might replace the current run in the case of a cancellation, so if it were to happen in a way that would leave me enough time to prepare, I could take the spot.

TL;DR: Will it be frame-perfect with an optimized route? No. Will it be clutch, adapting to RNG on the fly and skillful? Hopefully. Will it be entertaining? Yes. Is it an inherently competitive category? No.

I'm just going to point out that while you may not like what is chosen, it does give light that a Terraria all bosses (or whatever catagory eventually gets run) random seed gets left open for future marathons. Randomness, while avoided heavily by those who want to avoid it, is proudly accepted by those who take up the challenge. Just because once in awhile someone gets a S-tier or God-tier seed doesn't mean it invalidates the skill of the runners who can make due with garbage seeds. Competitive catagories are not always the best catagories to show off in a marathon setting, because I think runs like this could highlight how much thinking/planning goes into routing something that people may know how to beat normally. Having just runs of execution is only one part of speedrunning. Someone might watch a speedrun and go "how does someone route a speedrun" and if they know a game they've played before theres some background knowledge to apply to what is going on that makes the whole process shown in a popular setting.

On to my view of the games... now while I'm not a big fan of bootlegs/romhacks there seems to be a trend to dig these up to run for some reason so I guess they are ok, and outside of Wave Race 64... I think the games selected for yay/nay are all fair choices. Don't see anything that I'd disagree heavily with unbiased.
Quote from Hsanrb:
while you may not like what is chosen

I didn't say I disliked that it was chosen. What I said was that a marathon was definitely the best place to do a random seed run. I do agree that it will be entertaining and will put on a good show and an impressive speedrun. My argument is that it is a good run to show casual viewers but it cannot be optimized, and the final time is pretty much irrelevant. A 1:40 run with bad luck could be both better and more interesting to watch than a 1:25 run that had good luck but bad execution. In my opinion, random seed world record means absolutely nothing for the reasons I described earlier. It is simply not made to be a time competition, and treating it as so would bear a lot of major flaws. A marathon, however, is a perfect place to show this kind of run, so, with all this in mind and the fact that I did set seed last year, I think random seed is a superior choice for this year. It can be a very entertaining speedrun and a lot of skill can be put into it and make a difference, but because the final time is a very inaccurate measure of a random seed run's worth, it makes it an inherently bad speedrun category competition-wise. Overall, I'm sure it will be a very interesting watch if you do not go in expecting optimized routing.
Just cut a new PB in Mighty Switch Force! 2 to show you how badly I want to do that run.  I'll update my video with it as soon as we're allowed to do so.
Feudal Family Lord
Quote from Reed:
Random seed by let's players at that. I know there's trying to be a balance between being about the community and about donations, but this is just 2 hours taken away from actual speedruns imo.

This was exactly my thought....This is not a marathon for let's playing, which is essentially what this is, but pretending to call it speedrunning.

It sucks that this, if it gets in, will likely be the high point in viewers....and its not going to represent speedrunning very well.