<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
One hand is enough.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Vanquish: Yeah I'm aware this is fast-paced third-person shooter. My biggest concern about a casual run is how the enemies get steamrolled in a run. Let's be honest, they don't pose a great threat in a casual run. I'm not sure if the movement would outweigh the challenge the enemies put up, which is a concern since there are plenty of parts where you have to fight enemies in Vanquish.

Yes, I will concede that there is overall a low risk of death in a casual difficulty run. This does NOT however, mean that combat is reduced to a leisurely relaxed affair. A high degree of skill and knowledge of the game goes into completing battles quickly and effectively, with many of the one-cycles and QTE skips being fairly tight on timing and difficult to pull off.  Resource management for battles is a huge factor, and knowing when to use what weapons/grenades is paramount to speedrunning effectively. A certain intensity is afforded by how quickly singular enemies can be dispatched when played well, allowing for fast movement and routing within each battle. Casual difficulty may not FORCE high-level play, but when advanced techniques are applied to it the combat becomes an entertaining and explosive frenzy.

I assure you that the combat is by no means a trivial matter in my run, and the difficulty setting permits it more to actually be a speedrun instead of simply a timed playthrough.
Edit history:
ZanasoBayncuh: 2014-10-04 03:52:17 pm
Quote from AlteisenRiese:
I'll say similar things about God Hand, the GDQ's had a run already on hard, it sucked because it was sidekick spam cause that's literally all you can do on hard mode in that game...

Hey, be more fair to Molotov's run, it wasn't Hard NG, it was NG+ and he only used HSKC for about as long as I do. Trouble with the Hard Mode run is that you have to take the safety route at pretty much all times because of the way Hard Mode works. NG is literally 1.5-2 hours of High Side Kick spam though, yeah.

Quote from halfcoordinated:
Yes, I will concede that there is overall a low risk of death in a casual difficulty run. This does NOT however, mean that combat is reduced to a leisurely relaxed affair. A high degree of skill and knowledge of the game goes into completing battles quickly and effectively, with many of the one-cycles and QTE skips being fairly tight on timing and difficult to pull off.  Resource management for battles is a huge factor, and knowing when to use what weapons/grenades is paramount to speedrunning effectively. A certain intensity is afforded by how quickly singular enemies can be dispatched when played well, allowing for fast movement and routing within each battle. Casual difficulty may not FORCE high-level play, but when advanced techniques are applied to it the combat becomes an entertaining and explosive frenzy.

Wow, Vanquish has more in common with God Hand than I thought. Yeah I agree, lower difficulties does lower the enemy threat level somewhat but it also pushes for higher degrees of execution as far as time saving goes. Really though, I'd think that anyone who runs a game should know that there's no such thing as an easy highly optimized route, especially on games that are insanely heavy on RNG.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
The submission page should be updated with comments for most of the runs that need it. I didn't label all of the races as race, because I didn't feel like labeling 20 cv4 and dkc2 submissions as races. Also, I still need to cut down some runs even though there have been a couple of drops (rip viewtiful joe Sad ), because I'm adding setup time to the games. While some of the games have very forgiving estimates, others do not, and I'll have to sort that out when making the schedule.

Speaking of the schedule, I'm going to be working on the schedule this week.

Mega Man series: Darkman78 and Tonic, you make good points about the Mega Man games. If I were to put in one of those games, it would be Mega Man 7 because it's simply a better watch than 6. I know Ohon is super good at Mega Man 6, but the fact of the matter is that MM7 would be a better watch. Yes, this does mean I might cut MM10.

Brobuzz: I need some form of proof by the end of the month. I would prefer full game over tanker.

Peter Afro: Then it sounds like normal difficulty is the better category since you get to see the whole game.

Vanquish and God Hand: So those are some good points about the games, but like I said earlier, I still have to cut games from the schedule, not add. Also, risk of death can be a factor in runs of games that are known to be challenging, like these two games.
Just curious as to why mm1 is not being considered for getting cut to put in mm7 instead of mm10? mm1 has already been run in the last THREE marathons, while Proto 10 has yet to see a single marathon.
Edit history:
TonyOgbot: 2014-10-06 09:09:41 pm
Has submission video editing gone up yet?  I've been digging around without much luck, and I'm sitting on a PB that's 11 minutes shorter than the estimate for Mighty Switch Force! 2.  I'd like to be as transparent and forthcoming as possible with the work I've been putting in with my game, because I want to make sure that people are seeing that this game is edging ever so closely to optimization in anticipation for its showing at AGDQ.
Worthless categories WR master
Quote from mikwuyma:
Minecraft: I talked to Giant Waffle about the run, and he said his PB with Bacon Donut is a 1:23, they run on the latest version 1.8.1 so there is no dupe glitch, and his goal would be ultimately get a sub-hour time in an attempt. They're still working on it so I'll give them a chance.

Yes, the 2-hour estimate is to account for the worst RNG. Waffle says he hasn't had a time near 2-hours since he started.

Yes. By all means, do give them a chance, but be aware that as it stands right now, they are not up to par at all.
I'm wondering about the Commander Keen 5 run I submitted, as it could be either of the following based on what I wrote:

glitchless% + any% donation
just any%

Practicing glitchless is a much bigger investment so I'd like to know what I should be preparing for. Glad to see all three good ones get in, thanks for giving me the opportunity!
Wallyaldo: The quality of runners when it comes to the mm1 race, all of them have good reputations and are beasts at the game.

TonyOgbot: Matt told me it will be up by late tonight.

CapnClever: I think right now I have it down as glitchless + any%, but if you would prefer to just do any% that would work too.
I mean I don't doubt that they have good reputations or are good at the game, I had already assumed so, but I don't see exactly how this justifies having the exact same game four marathons in a row. I was wondering more of the specifics about the game as to why it's being ran again?
Personal text
I just want to add here that I fully would understand (and support) if MM7 or 6 would be put in and MM10 taken out.

If you want different - pick Proto 10
If you want optimized/polished - pick MM7 or 6
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2014-10-11 10:00:39 am
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
I am a bad, but run video editing is now live. If your run was rejected, you will not be able to edit your video.
so under the accepted list my NG3 pacifist run is there i know Ninja gaiden relay is happening but should i still be practicing this run? i see on the spread sheet the time is in like a comment section i just wanna make sure
No, it should be NG relay race.
www.twitch.tv/ghoul02
Sweet, I've been waiting for video edits to be allowed. Catherine vid now has controller cam, if anybody is curious.
Hey guys, I'm actually thinking I need to withdraw my submission, which hopefully isn't a big deal since I'm only on the wait list. I've decided to save my money and go to SGDQ in June instead. I can't seem to find the option to withdraw my entry though, but I may just be blind.
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2014-10-13 03:07:44 pm
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Alx223:
Hey guys, I'm actually thinking I need to withdraw my submission, which hopefully isn't a big deal since I'm only on the wait list. I've decided to save my money and go to SGDQ in June instead. I can't seem to find the option to withdraw my entry though, but I may just be blind.

I'll be adding that sometime this week, bear with. Keep in mind that withdrawing is a 1 way process; once you withdraw there's no going back. So don't do so until you're sure.
Edit history:
General Heinz: 2014-10-13 11:28:43 am
i know you guys are still probably having to make cuts even with the few people who are actually dropping, but for those of us on the waitlist, is there a way we can make a case for our run? i don't know how you'll ever even get enough cuts+drops for the waitlist to matter, but i'd like to do everything i can to see if we can't get some representation for sapphire at this marathon as i really do think it's an interesting and entertaining run. at the very least i've updated my vid for the run which is now about 5 min faster; thanks for finally getting that function up.
www.smwwiki.com
Hey I was wondering if you're considering Kaizo as a race (don't see it mentioned on the submission page). Also wondering how many people are being considered for the smw race?
Alx223: I can reject the submission if you want me to, unlike withdrawing, that can be reverted.

General Heinz: That really depends on what is dropped closer to the event.

dram55: I am okay with a Kaizo race as long as you and carl are fairly even. The max for the SMW race is 4 people. Any extra screens would be too crowded.

Anyway, I have cut some time off of some estimates because they are way too forgiving. A good example is the Marble Blast Ultra estimate being 55 minutes and the runner's pb is 36 minutes. However, that wasn't enough to accommodate for adding estimates in between runs, so I cut the following runs.

Haunted Castle
Jackie Chan's Action Kung-fu
King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch
Mega Man X2
Mighty Switch Force 2
Rayman
Sonic the Hedgehog

Now the schedule is down to 139 hours, which should be enough time for me to accommodate for setup in between games. If there is extra time in the schedule once it is finished, then I will try to add some games back  into the schedule.
Why walk when you can go fast?
If you haven't you can cut off some of the estimate from Morrowind because it is ridiculously forgiving right now. The game has received tons of route changes that have cut off minutes from the run and my pb is a high 32 now. 45 estimate sounds about right now [Maybe even 40, but with donation incentives I had in mind a 45 estimate would be best]. Even with crashes I feel like I can still pull a sub 40, I've even gotten sub 35 with two crashes before.
Hmmm, with the any% run should I set the estimate to about 45 or 50 minutes then?
So Mike, is this the end of the line for Mighty Switch Force 2 for sure, or is there a chance it can work its way back in with possible drops?  I'd like to know mainly for planning purposes, and either way I respect your decision.
Why walk when you can go fast?
I think 45 is good enough, I quicksave often because it makes clipping more consistent so any crashes shouldn't set me back far enough to be worth minutes of time.
Tony: Yes, there is a chance, I'll have to weigh it against other games and see exactly what is dropped.

Albino: noted.
I've added a video to my Knytt Stories submission. On top of that I'm gonna drop some reasons I think you should consider Knytt Stories for AGDQ if there are drops.

-It has a lot of interesting little quirks, and the run is the perfect length to explain everything that's going on.
-It has a very strong donation incentive that would raise a lot of room energy.
-My estimate is much lower now than it was when I made the submission. Not counting the donation incentive (my original submission did include that), the run estimate is 23 minutes.

Thanks for reading, just wanted to give some support for the game if there are drops.