<- 1  -   of 33 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Mr_Shasta: 2014-09-05 02:24:49 pm
Mike, can I get a quick explanation of why my run of Metroid Prime: Hunters got rejected? It was one of the best runs I had and I spent about a month and a half straight of only streaming and running this game, something I don't normally do for any of the other games I run. I'd like to contest this rejection as well if you are willing to hear my reasoning as to why it should get in...

It also seemed to me that last night while you (and others?) were rejecting and accepting games that you were only spending maybe 1 or 2 minutes at most on a lot of games, seeing as how every time I refreshed after 5 minutes, like 4 or 7 at most games showed up in both Accepted and Rejected. I don't know if you were judging them over the course of last week and decided to just send them all out last night or something, but if that's not the case, it doesn't seem fair to anyone who worked really hard on their submission to get a minute of judgment then told their run is not good enough, even if the run is more obscure. I understand if the run has no video attached to it that it has less of a chance of getting in and all, but if they had a video, spending a minute looking at it is not fair at all for the entirety of the run being offered :/
Fucking Weeaboo
I doubt he spent "a minute on it". He certainly can see several videos in a sequence then complete multiple entries at the same time on the form.
Ah ok,
Thanks for letting me know puwexil and Matty Smiley
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-09-05 04:18:12 pm
kirbymastah: 2014-09-05 04:14:11 pm
<(^_^)>
Quote from Mr_Shasta:
Mike, can I get a quick explanation of why my run of Metroid Prime: Hunters got rejected? It was one of the best runs I had and I spent about a month and a half straight of only streaming and running this game, something I don't normally do for any of the other games I run. I'd like to contest this rejection as well if you are willing to hear my reasoning as to why it should get in...

It also seemed to me that last night while you (and others?) were rejecting and accepting games that you were only spending maybe 1 or 2 minutes at most on a lot of games, seeing as how every time I refreshed after 5 minutes, like 4 or 7 at most games showed up in both Accepted and Rejected. I don't know if you were judging them over the course of last week and decided to just send them all out last night or something, but if that's not the case, it doesn't seem fair to anyone who worked really hard on their submission to get a minute of judgment then told their run is not good enough, even if the run is more obscure. I understand if the run has no video attached to it that it has less of a chance of getting in and all, but if they had a video, spending a minute looking at it is not fair at all for the entirety of the run being offered :/

Chances are, they go through several batches, marking decisions down, then put the decisions form that batch all at once (at least that what seems to make sense). I doubt they're spending just a minute on each submission, but you also can't expect them to watch every second of every video; I believe I saw mike say in spike's chat that they generally skim through each video, see what the general gist of the overall run looks like and such.

And mr_shasta, you've definitely improved a lot in hunters and that it's a really good speedgame and speedwatch (I love watching runs of hunters), but I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason it got rejected is that it's not very popular nor liked among the casual audience. It honestly seems like a better fit for SGDQ IMO, as much as I'd like to see it in this marathon.

I do hope you can get it back in though, and show mike why it's worth it despite its lack of popularity.
I wish I couldn't say this, but I completely agree with the rejection of hunters. I like the run, but it one of the least liked metroid games. Other metroid games would do way stronger.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Duckfist: We can discuss this more in private if you want, but I really don't see what's so special about Wing of Madoola. Also, the fact it's a J-only famicom game does hurt it.

Thatsfairzack: That's mostly because tjerra42 has a recorded run. Honestly, stronger proof for Rogue Legacy would be 3 successful runs back to back to show consistency since it is a rogue-like. Like Vulajin said, even a webcam is a better than nothing.

Mr_Shasta: Like Kirbymastah said, I do try to skim most videos (exceptions are super popular runs like SMW which I've seen a thousand times), but there's simply not enough time for me to look at every video in its entirety. If I did that, then game submissions would be going until AGDQ starts. I did watch the run and I thought it was a pretty cool run (I saw some of the boosts, they were cool), but like kirbymastah and MG2 said, it is a weaker entry in the Metroid series (didn't do as well critically or sales-wise), and there's not a big community for the game as far as I can tell.
Yeah that's true. It's really only me and like 3 other people right now, but we're constantly finding new skips and optimizations in the game. We recently even came up with a new route for it that I showed off in the run haha. I understand the rejection now though. Thanks for the response. I'll just be sure to hope for the best when I submit everything else again for SGDQ next year. Cheesy

I do have one suggestion for the submission form though. Since this is my first year submitting (and speedrunning), I didn't know if I should be putting a donation incentive on my run description or not or I should talk to you about it later. That said, I think there should be a separate tab for a donation incentive that drops down with a yes/no menu to avoid this confusion. If yes, 100 characters or so to explain the DI should suffice. Had to cut down a lot of space I needed to fit my donation incentive for Hunters for instance. Still had more to explain about the run and shit xD
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
So, I didn't realize that both DK28 and TMR were submitting Contra Mike - feel free to put that game off the waitlist and into the reject pile. They are far, far more qualified than I am for that game.
Hi everybody! I was really excited to go to AGDQ but sadly bad job RNG got me (It's really expensive to go from Chile, expensive as Japan i thing) So i have to postpone my GDQ dream to SGDQ, I was really excited to contribute to GDQ, I really feel i could contribute on stream (I got SMB3 Waitlisted) and outside (Im a Engineer  in networking) but oh well...Just wanted to say thanks to Mike for his work and everyone working and wish everyone luck with their runs and submits.

See ya at SGDQ! <3
Awwww Fook!
Submitted my game but still waiting response. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejected. Nevertheless, I'm going to try to make it. Maybe I'll volunteer my chibi voice of mine.
Head Nerd In Charge
thanks mike, i pm'd back
I have a question, what are the chances of an accepted run being rejected later? I need to start making travel plans right now (visa, reservations,...etc) and I'm kinda worried that my run might get rejected later after i'm finished with my travel plans.
Terraffirmative!
Pretty high considering that the marathon only has about 150 hours of actual time available. Second round of cuts will happen without a doubt.
and when the second round of cuts will happen?
Likely before the end of the month
And I am done with submissions. There are 369 hours worth of accepted runs, but I also know there are a lot of dupes with races/co-op (spikevegeta told me it's over 100 hours). I'll sort it out later, right now I'm done with submissions since I've only gone through 1500+ hours of runs.

Second round of cuts: Yes, this will happen, not because I want to do it, but because I have to. Anyway, as a tentative date, I am thinking the 21st of September. I know this needs to be done fairly soon, but at the same time I need a break.
Fucking Weeaboo
Yeah, it'll be good to take a breather and go back in with a fresh mind. It'll lead to less problems down the road.
Will there be another thread or venue for input before the second round of cuts, or should I reserve my concerns for later?  There have been some major (and majorly unexpected) developments in Super Metroid over the last week that may warrant some attention, along with a concern I have regarding the categories/race possibility.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
nice to see many F-Zero games past the initial cuts. hopefully they survive until the final schedule to have a nice F-Zero block.
Edit history:
TheBlazeJp: 2014-09-07 11:14:20 am
TheBlazeJp: 2014-09-07 10:37:21 am
TheBlazeJp: 2014-09-07 10:36:48 am
TheBlazeJp: 2014-09-07 10:36:41 am
Hey everyone
Wanted to ask a question, In the submission section it sais that you can edit a runs video "later this week",
I have compiled a higher quality version of my video and would like to edit it for sure over the next few days Smiley
I'd assume the feature is not yet available?
sweetnumb I'll probably make a post later this week about specifics with certain games. If you need to tell me about developments in Super Metroid, you can always PM me, contact me on irc, or talk to me on skype. I did hear there is a new route in Super Metroid.

Blazejp: no.
Edit history:
TheBlazeJp: 2014-09-07 02:15:24 pm
Alrighty
Sometimes things can be easily missed
Thanks for letting me know mike
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from TheBlazeJp:
Hey everyone
Wanted to ask a question, In the submission section it sais that you can edit a runs video "later this week",
I have compiled a higher quality version of my video and would like to edit it for sure over the next few days Smiley
I'd assume the feature is not yet available?

Right, it'll be up before the next round of submission cuts begins. I'm targeting this week during a huge server overhaul I also have planned.
Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for it
Would have loved to get Skate 2 in for this year's AGDQ and try to get some exposure to a console-only-oriented run. Sad