UraniumAnchor: 2014-08-19 01:30:14 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-18 03:33:15 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-18 03:07:38 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-17 02:30:18 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-17 02:10:36 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-17 01:21:37 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-17 01:19:09 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Most of the stuff in this post is the same or similar to the preparation post, but I would at least read the stuff in bold before submitting, especially the part about setup. Do NOT use this thread for your submissions or posting that you submitted, the forums will be slow enough as is.

You can view the submissions here: http://gamesdonequick.com/submission/all

submission: http://gamesdonequick.com/submission/create

The deadline is  September 3rd 11:59 PM EDT.

Submissions will be similar to SGDQ, with some key differences.

Information regarding categories

Accept: This means the game is accepted, however, like last year, I will probably accept more games than the 150 hours that the marathon runs for, so there will be a second round of cuts.

Reject: This one should be pretty self-explanatory. Sorry, your game didn't make it.

Bonus: This is not bonus stream, but it means your game can be donated in, like Minecraft was at AGDQ 2014, and Metal Wolf Chaos was during this year's SGDQ 2014. A bonus game is not guaranteed because if we're running way behind schedule we might nuke it. The good news is that we were actually running really ahead of schedule during SGDQ so I don't *think* that will be a concern (famous last words).

Waitlisted: This is kind of like Halo 2 from last AGDQ, and various games at SGDQ. The game might not be accepted right now, but if there are drops (and they always happen), then there's a chance this game can make it on the schedule.

Which category is being accepted: There will be comment functionality within a couple of days so I can clarify which category/conditions upon which the game is being accepted (like if this is a race I will accept it, or x category can be a donation incentive). I won't comment on every submission, but I'll try to comment on ones with multiple categories and the like.

Duplicate submissions: I'm not sure the best way to handle this, because we don't really have functionality to add multiple runners to a game and decalre something a race, so if you see duplicate submissions for a game, it's likely a race or co-op run. If I rejected duplicate submissions, then that means I think the game is bad for a race.

-Do not include setup time in your submissions, we will be doing that, instead just account for a worst case/bad rng run.

-We'll be using the games done quick registration instead of a google form (yes, what you used to register for this year's marathons). The google form was way too prone to fake submissions (I think there were 15 biinny submissions and 5 for glover).

-The character limit for explanations is 400 characters, that should be more than enough in most cases.

-I can't respond to each submission anymore, there are too many submissions and not enough time. You can still ask me why a game was not accepted (or accepted), but don't be surprised if I'm slow to respond or miss your question.

-There will be a spot for twitch highlights/youtube videos so you can easily post a video.

-There is also be a spot for twitch/twitter so we can store them in a database (and therefore easier access so we should get it correct on stream this time).

-There will also be a section with the console and version of the game so we know exactly what version you're playing.

The rest is the same. If you're not familiar with the format, just look below.

Rules

-You can submit up to five games and have up to 10 categories (as in an average of two categories per game). If you try to submit more, or try to submit games twice over, then you go from 5 possible games to zero. Submit all your games at once, you will not be able to submit more after your initial submission.

-If you use the extra category spots to submit more than 5 games, then all of your games are rejected.

-No technical concerns about the game working. If you aren't confident about making the game work, then don't submit.

-No backseat moderators, we already have moderators.

Some submission tips

When describing a game, you should be short, to the point, and specific. While that might sound hard, there's not actually a whole lot you have to say.

Here's an example of a good game submission (Mighty Switch Force) from Duke Bilgewater:

A fast-paced puzzle platformer speedrun. NG+ uses "Mighty Jumping", a method of bunny hopping by abusing the Mighty Buster (http://bombch.us/XYt).The 5 bonus levels would be a good donation incentive. Maybe a race with Iongravirei.

It's short, descriptive, the movement/tricks are explained, and there was even spare space for a donation incentive (this is optional).

Here are some phrases I would advise against.

"I worked really hard on this" - I hope you did, or you are going to, or else your run shouldn't even be considered in the first place.

"Cult-Classic" - While there are many cult-classic games, I have seen this applied to any game that isn't very popular. Generally cult-classic games already have a certain sort of popularity (like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil), and don't even need to be mentioned that they are cult-classic games.

"This game has a lot of skill or tech" - This isn't specific. What about the skill or tech shines through? Is it fast? Are there a lot of glitches? What kind of glitches? (warps, clips, zips, etc.) Looks graceful?

"This game is an exciting/hype/amazing/insert adjective here watch" - What about the game makes it a good watch? Fast? Glitches? Just saying it's a good watch is not going to convince me.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Jackafur: 2014-08-17 01:23:28 pm
I have a small issue. I tried resetting my password on the games done quick site. However it doesnt reset when i put in a new password. Should I just make a new account o...?

edit: nvm i figured it out. the password i was trying to use wasnt long enough... im a derp.
One hand is enough.
Form told me that my twitter username was too long, and I had to take out the "@" to make it fit. Just thought you should know that is a possible issue.

Super nervous/hyped about submissions this year. Good luck everyone!
Edit history:
CVagts: 2014-08-17 01:32:45 pm
"Let's put a SMILE on that face!"
Games submitted.  Best of luck to everyone!

edit:  Also want to add that the form is really cool and I like it a lot over the forum posting that was done last year. Smiley
If I want do a different category as an incentive should I put it in the second run category or just note it in the description?
You guys don't favor earlier submissions compared to later ones, yeah? Won't be able to submit my shit until later this week since I need to record run videos.
My game is over 100 hours and the form won't accept this. Please correct the issue.
Lively: Note it in the description.

Brobuzz: No we don't, in fact Super Metroid at SGDQ 2014 was one of our last submissions.
The fact that there is space for 2 categories per game, but only 1 spot to link a video seems odd. Should people submitting 2 categories put both video links in the one box?
Stay frosty my friends!
Is there a page that shows all the submitted runs and runners. I made a bet concerning the number of Shovel Knight submissions.
fucking .gif....
Quote from znernicus:
The fact that there is space for 2 categories per game, but only 1 spot to link a video seems odd. Should people submitting 2 categories put both video links in the one box?

I'm wondering that myself
Sure thing.

*bans your_name_here*
Quote from EvenSteven02:
Is there a page that shows all the submitted runs and runners. I made a bet concerning the number of Shovel Knight submissions.

"The link to view the submissions will be posted once it's ready."
How do I submit a 3DS game video without a 3DS capture? Undecided
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2014-08-17 01:43:03 pm
If you don't have your own video, I'd suggest at least linking someone else's run video, but you will need to be able to prove that you're capable of performing the run yourself. Shakycam is always an option.

(edit) My response is not remotely official, but this is what I'd do.
Is there a number I can call if my sodium levels get too high?
Quote from Monopoli:
Is there a number I can call if my sodium levels get too high?

1-800-ASK-GARY
1-800-95-JENNY
znernicus: The second category was a last-minute addition so that was something we overlooked. :-/  Just try putting it in the description if you can.

Evensteven02: It's not ready yet because other features are being added right now. It should be ready by tomorrow at the very latest.

Monkololo: Basically what Vulajin said, but even a crappy webcam video is better than none.

Monopoli: 1-800-IMSALTY
Is there a link to see submitted runs? I recall alone one saying that it would be open for viewing again.
That's "Mr." Speedrunner, to you
Yo Mike, I hit you up on twitter but you can answer here too if it's convenient. This also may have been answered before somewhere else, but welp!

"@mikwuyma If I would like to submit a race, do the other racers besides me have to submit too?"
Is PJ
Quote from virtualboyness:
Is there a link to see submitted runs? I recall alone one saying that it would be open for viewing again.

Quote from jymotion:
Quote from EvenSteven02:

"The link to view the submissions will be posted once it's ready."
Obscure games ftw
So I know a majority of the form is locked in on submitting, but is it possible to update/add a video for a run later?
fucking .gif....
will it be possible to edit any info between submission dates if something changes?
I answered you on twitter bubbles, but I'll answer here too in case if people aren't looking at twitter. All of the racers need to submit to ensure that everyone actually wants to be in the race.

I have no name: AFAIK, no.