mikwuyma: 2013-08-13 03:59:50 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-13 03:56:06 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-09 04:05:28 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-08 03:26:31 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-08 02:55:21 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-08 02:43:18 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-07 10:24:12 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
If you need a primer on what the hotels are like, go to this topic: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2014_hotels_report__pictures_in_the_second_post.html

So it's pretty obvious that the two choices are down to the Crowne Plaza and the Holiday Inn.

The Decision

Short version: I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Crowne after I negotiate with them on conference rooms. The location is too good to pass up.

Long version: Both hotels are similar in a lot of ways, the internet is roughly the same, the sleeping rooms are similar, and the prices are roughly the same. However, the Crowne's location and proximity to restaurants and grocery stores is too strong to pass up. I would say the Holiday Inn is a little nicer (it's better than your average Holiday Inn), and they seemed more willing to accommodate us, but in the end that's not as important as the convenience of the location, considering that everything else is similar.

Since the last hotels topic got pretty crowded, here's a rundown of the two hotels. Anything new is in bold.

What's Similar

-88-89 dollars a night + tax (12% at crowne and 13% at Holiday Inn) for the sleeping rooms.
-4 people to a room
-All sleeping rooms come with a fridge and free wi-fi.
-Airport shuttles! If you arrive at Dulles, then you just call the hotel and they'll pick you up.
-Free parking!
-Complimentary breakfast.
-Both hotels will allow catered food from outside in the conference rooms.
-24/7 fitness center, an indoor pool, and a business center with free printing.
-The wired internet at both hotels is very similar. The Holiday Inn has 7.5 up, and the Crowne has 8 up.
-The sleeping rooms are nearly the same size, and they're queen size beds for the doubles. Also, the mattresses are softer than the Sheraton (which were rock-hard)
-Both hotels have a 24/7 business and print center, with no log-in necessary. However, at the Crowne, you'll need a room key to open up the center

What stands out in each hotel

The Crowne Plaza

Conference rooms are 150 a night + 6% tax, and we'll be getting 5 rooms (the ballroom counts as 3). Wired internet is 150/night, with no tax.

In other words, it's 945 a night for conference rooms and internet, which is pretty steep, but not too bad when spread out amongst 200+ attendees.

-More conference room space, 6700 sq ft, as opposed to the Holiday Inn's 5320 sq ft. For reference, we had 2000 sq ft at the Sheraton DTC.
-Within walking distance of at least 10 restaurants, a grocery store (Giant), and coin laundry.

Holiday Inn Dulles airport

For all of the conference rooms it's 825/night+6% tax+22% service charge (I thought this was going to be waived, and I would renogatiate but I doubt we're going with the Inn+75 dollars for a one-time internet fee.

-Free shuttle service within three miles of the hotel. AFAIK, you have to pay for the Crowne's shuttle unless if you're going to Dulles airport.
-Sleeping rooms have a microwave
-Will provide a concession stand (Crowne likely won't provide this because it's so close to restaurants).

Questions we want to ask

All answers are in bold

-How many shuttles are available for airport pickup?

Both Crowne and Holiday Inn say one every half hour.

-How many people can fit in a shuttle?

The Crowne's can hold 10, the Holiday Inn's can hold 12.

-How long are the shuttles open for?

Airport shuttles are 24/7 at the Crowne, if you need to go to the airport, be sure to let the Shuttle driver know at least an hour in advance. It's 4am-midnight for the Holiday Inn

-How far in advance do we need to arrange a shuttle?

-Can we change the conference room thermostat ourselves, or do we have to ask front desk?

The thermostat can be changed by us in the Crowne, and we have to ask the front desk at the Holiday Inn.

-Can we lock rooms/ask front desk for services 24/7, or is there a cutoff time?

24/7 at both hotels

-Lighting control?

Yes, there are sliders at both hotels

-For roommates coming in at separate times, how do they pay?

At the Crowne the first person pays for the first night, and then the roommates split payments when checking out.

For the Holiday Inn one, it's similar to the Sheraton. It's one person's card, then payments are split when checking out

For the Crowne: Is there a common area microwave?

Yes, they will be providing one free of charge.

For the Crowne: How much is a shuttle?

I am still waiting for the answer on this one.

For the Holiday Inn: are the microwave and fridge free?

Yes

-Check in and Check out times?

Check in is 3PM at both hotels, but we can start setting up the conference rooms earlier, and Check out is 11 am at the Holiday Inn, and noon at the Crowne.

-Is the wired line exclusive to us or on a shared network?

The Crowne said we'd be taking up most of the space anyway so it would hardly matter (we'd be taking up everything but the board rooms, and the Holiday Inn said putting it on a exclusive network would be an extra charge. I'll ask more into it later.
Thread title:  
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
sorry to ask n00b question but 88-89 a night is per room so with 4 people that'd be 20 each right?

Thread question though:  Are you going with projector idea for this marathon regardless of location?  Or is it just if the Dulles is the preference?
Yeah Zewing, that's per room, so if you divide up amongst four people that's around 24-25 dollars a night when you include tax.

Yes, I'm going to use a projector for this marathon no matter which hotel I pick, or else people in the back won't be able to see what's going on.
All the things
To confirm, we had 2000 sq ft at the 4H, not Sheraton DTC, correct?
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-08-07 09:20:27 pm
Not a walrus
I think DTC was more like 1400 between the three rooms, 2000 definitely sounds way high to me. I think 2000 was the total for the 4H but I'd have to double check the room listing.

Edit: Yeah, 4H was 2k. We had the three Oklahoma rooms, Arkansas, and New York.
Talk to the Hand
In the OP, did you mean Holiday Inn ("It's pretty obvious it's down to...")?
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2013-08-07 09:46:35 pm
Cool Matty: 2013-08-07 09:39:56 pm
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
I really want to pick Holiday Inn just for the microwave (yay for COOKING YOUR OWN FOOD), but there is a LOT of stuff VERY close to Crowne.

The high ceilings of Holiday Inn will make watching the runs more pleasant as well.

Can you run another speed test at the hotels? Maybe they can actually give you an idea of what your priority connection will be like? They're both acceptable but anything above 5mbit upload would make it easier to swallow. Also make sure to ask them the cost of the internet per day Tongue

EDIT: The Holiday Inn site says the Fridge + Microwave are "on request". Can you 100% confirm that they're actually included with the room and not an extra cost (a la SGDQ).

EDIT#2: What will their check-in/out times be, especially for the conference rooms? Can they be locked when unused?
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-08-07 10:25:38 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-08-07 10:25:03 pm
UA: AFAIK, Sheraton DTC was also 2000 sq ft, the main room was 1500 split up into two 750 sq ft rooms, and the separate conference room was 500 sq ft. This is according to what the hotel told me. Maybe the 4-H Conference space seemed bigger because we had one room that was 1200 sq ft.

Or maybe the Sheraton lied to me. Shocked Either way, both hotels I'm looking at have over double the conference room space of the 4-H and the Sheraton.

Emptyeye: Yes <_<

Cool Matty: Yeah, it's a tough choice between the two, which is why I'm revisiting.

Yes, I was going to run another speed test, and the internet cost  is 150/day.

When I dropped in one of the rooms at the Holiday Inn, the fridge and microwave were inside, and I'm pretty sure it was an unoccupied room. I'll double check with Jessica, the sales manager to be sure.

Added the check in check out question to the list of questions.
Highly Evolved
The Sheraton had only one shuttle.  Does the Holiday Inn have more?  The free shuttle was not taken advantage enough.  Wasn't 'til later in the marathon when most of the drivers were gone did I suggest it and a bunch of us used it.  It's VERY handy, and makes not having a ton of stuff near the hotel proper kind of moot.  A three mile radius is very large.  That, and the microwave really push Holiday Inn for me.  That is if the internet speed and dependability end up being the same.
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2013-08-07 10:52:42 pm
Looking at the map, by the way, there's actually about as much food stuff within one BLOCK of Crowne, as there is within three MILES (shuttle) of Holiday Inn.
Sounds like Maverick talk to me.
Quote from Cool Matty:
Looking at the map, by the way, there's actually about as much food stuff within one BLOCK of Crowne, as there is within three MILES (shuttle) of Holiday Inn.

Could you post a link of the map?
Quote from DarkBluesZX:
Quote from Cool Matty:

Could you post a link of the map?

I just did a really, really shitty measurement using Google Maps. I don't think I even could link it, and it's not really useful.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-08-07 11:35:49 pm
Not a walrus
Quote from mikwuyma:
UA: AFAIK, Sheraton DTC was also 2000 sq ft, the main room was 1500 split up into two 750 sq ft rooms, and the separate conference room was 500 sq ft. This is according to what the hotel told me. Maybe the 4-H Conference space seemed bigger because we had one room that was 1200 sq ft.

It's probably because we had the one big space at 4H and I basically never went in the BIG PLAYS room at SGDQ so it seemed like less space, then. At least that's my best guess. The main broadcast room sure seemed a lot smaller than what we had at 4H, but 750 vs 800 sq ft shouldn't be quite that much of a difference. Maybe the room shape threw me off? Dunno.

Something that I heard brought up a couple times at SGDQ was that having a fridge/microwave in the room will really help cut down on food costs since people won't have to go out to restaurants all the time. That's something to consider, though I don't know how many people will actually just go buy sandwich supplies or whatever.
To be precise, it was 884 sq. ft, so that would make a difference.
HELLO!
Quote from Cool Matty:

Loudoun County is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit more than I have to.
I like walking, and I like having walking room.

Internet speed is my number one concern, but for now, I am down with The Crowne.
Fucking Weeaboo
Question to ask Holiday Inn: How big are the microwaves? Some hotel microwaves are pretty small. I'd imagine they'd be 0.8 Cubic Feet but it would be good to know for some people. Test the FD clerk's knowledge. Tongue
[grrs internally]
I've got a question about the concession stand at the Holiday Inn: will it be open 24/7, or at least during the graveyard shifts?  I know that the O'Malley's at the Holiday Inn is up until midnight, though.  At the Crowne, I checked that almost all of the restaurants close down at 9-10 p.m. with the exception of the restaurant immediately next to the hotel, which closes at midnight only on Saturday and Sunday; it closes at the normal hours during any other day.  I'm just worried that the people who have to be up during the graveyard shift won't be able to get a good meal in except during dinner hours.  I'm used to the 24/7 lifestyle here in Vegas, so my main priority is whether or not a decent selection of food is available at any time.  I'm sure others have the same concern for the graveyard runners, since they're putting in so much effort just being a part of the night shift, so we can at least worry about their food situation haha.
What's the word on wi-fi in the hotel rooms?  I'll have to do at least *some* work while im out there and having to pay 15 bucks for wifi a day for a whole week would definitely factor in cost/decision.  So if one has free-wifi and another doesn't that would be a pretty big factor imo.
Edit history:
thadarkman78: 2013-08-08 10:14:05 am
thadarkman78: 2013-08-08 08:15:47 am
thadarkman78: 2013-08-08 08:15:26 am
Quote from Missy:
I've got a question about the concession stand at the Holiday Inn: will it be open 24/7, or at least during the graveyard shifts?  I know that the O'Malley's at the Holiday Inn is up until midnight, though.  At the Crowne, I checked that almost all of the restaurants close down at 9-10 p.m. with the exception of the restaurant immediately next to the hotel, which closes at midnight only on Saturday and Sunday; it closes at the normal hours during any other day.  I'm just worried that the people who have to be up during the graveyard shift won't be able to get a good meal in except during dinner hours.  I'm used to the 24/7 lifestyle here in Vegas, so my main priority is whether or not a decent selection of food is available at any time.  I'm sure others have the same concern for the graveyard runners, since they're putting in so much effort just being a part of the night shift, so we can at least worry about their food situation haha.

I find that hard to believe regarding the restaurants at Crowne when I found at least 4-5 fast food places right there. I can't imagine a fast food place closing at 9-10 pm.

I definitely am a fan of the Crowne's location much more than I am Holiday Inn. Yea a shuttle is always nice to take you to food, but having to wait for a shuttle can be really annoying. I think a point that can't be overlooked about a shuttle is what happens when a shuttle becomes mandatory to take for food, how does that affect wait times? Yea it seems like everyone who took the shuttle in Sheraton for SGDQ had positive experiences about it, but keep in mind it was not mandatory to use for food. When  it becomes mandatory to use and there aren't enough people around to drive others to food, I feel like it will become more of an issue than people would like. Crowne's walking distance to restaurants is far more appealing. Also better for those who want to do grocery shopping. May not have a microwave but a fridge means you can at least have cold cuts if you desire. The pick is definitely Crowne for me.

Ok looking up the times now, Taco Bell is open until 3AM on weekdays, 4 AM on weekends, and Wendy's is open till 1AM on weekdays, unsure on weekends. Both are right next to the hotel. Bertucci's is 10PM on weekdays, 11PM on Fri + Sat. Houlihan's in the hotel is the same as Bertucci's. Those are the 4 closest restaurants to the hotel, then after that there are shopping centers surrounding the hotel that have other places which probably close at times similar to Bertucci's and Houlihans. So we have a couple of late night options, even if they are fast food, and I know there is a McDonalds a little bit farther away, but still walkable.

Quote from Klaige:
What's the word on wi-fi in the hotel rooms?  I'll have to do at least *some* work while im out there and having to pay 15 bucks for wifi a day for a whole week would definitely factor in cost/decision.  So if one has free-wifi and another doesn't that would be a pretty big factor imo.

According to the websites, Holiday Inn has free wired/ wi-fi in rooms, Crowne has free wi-fi in Business Center/Lobby/houlihans.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2013-08-08 08:09:38 am
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Klaige:

Both state in their fact sheets that they have them.

Edit: DAMN NINJAS.
www.smwwiki.com
to follow up on thadarkman's  post..  there is also a 711  near by ( open 24/7)  giant  super market  is open  until  12
according  to gmaps  the 711 is ~500  feet from the hotel

what excactly  does the concession  stand consist of at  holiday Inn?
This was posted in the last topic for Holiday Inn's concession stand.  It's pretty good, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat from this menu all week.
Food Near:
Holiday Inn
Crowne Plaza

If I remember from the other topic, they both have free parking (with room). Based on how many people will be driving (and willing to take go out with people to eat) and how the shuttle can be used will change the value of Crowne vs. Holiday nearness to food.

The T.G.I. Friday's near Crowne Plaza closes at 2 AM.
LongHorn Steakhouse about 1 mil away from Holiday Inn closes at 10-11 PM.

Maybe someone can pick out nice places open later off the two list.
Question:
At the Holiday Inn, how are the shuttles used?
Do you request ahead of time? If yes, about how long or how many people need to be asking before they will send a shuttle out for use?
Do they make normal rounds and you can add a stop for them to drop you off?
How late can a Shuttle be used?
(or how ever you want to word the questions)