Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 4 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I nominate Halo 2 for a spot if something gets cut later on. There's an actual speedrunner speedrunning this time and he's really entertaining.
aka theenglishman
Quote from mikwuyma:
qubit: I'll ask Sunblade about commentary for RE4, but you are aware there is no God of War II on the schedule, correct?

Nope, I must have missed that. >_<  Sorry!
Claimh Happy
oh yeah mike could you reconsider FFTA True Ending that'd be great thanks~~~
Weegee Time
Quote from mikwuyma:
General Beatrix: I'm still not entirely sold, but I'm aware that ng+ is a legitimate category in its own right. 30 minutes is also not enough to free up room for other games on the schedule.

However, it could be enough at a future time if someone drops out.  It would also cover SM64 1-star.  I'm pretty ambivalent about MGSR and realize you're still technically over-scheduled.  I'm just saying it's worth keeping the timing idea in your back pocket.
mwsf!
Woo! Glover is gonna be sweet Smiley

I really think Halo 2 should be reconsidered though, it's an extremely impressive looking run, and I know a lot of people view it as the best halo game. Monopoli is actually really good at the game, especially compared to the runner the last time halo was in a marathon.
I too think 151 deserves a spot back. I think it would be very entertaining and a unique category that we've never had before, even if you cut down the donation incentives. If length is a problem still, well, you've had 8+ hour multi-part FF runs on past marathons, I don't see why that's an issue, plus Werster is entertaining enough to make it a hell of a watch.

I won't get too salty about my own game getting cut, I still think Monster Party would be funny as hell, but it's not exactly a very skillful run and doesn't exhibit many precise tricks or glitches.
Quote from PiePusher11:
I can't be too upset about Jungle Beat being cut. It's not a very popular game, even though it IS a very entertaining watch, and I have been working on this run for about 3 years now.

If you were going to go anyway, you should try and get Jungle Beat done early in Bonus Stream. I know a lot of us are hype to see it at a big marathon Smiley
Quote from Patashu:
Quote from PiePusher11:
I can't be too upset about Jungle Beat being cut. It's not a very popular game, even though it IS a very entertaining watch, and I have been working on this run for about 3 years now.

If you were going to go anyway, you should try and get Jungle Beat done early in Bonus Stream. I know a lot of us are hype to see it at a big marathon Smiley

I know I'd love to see it for bonus if you can make it!
Can I ask what wasn't entertaining about Blasto? Just so maybe I can find ways to make it more entertaining for the future should I get the opportunity to suggest it again.
Edit history:
Onin: 2013-09-07 06:45:43 pm
Quote from AlteisenRiese:
18 hours of Zelda seems ridiculously excessive.
As much as Zelda is a staple of the community, the majority of popular SRL streams are Zelda games, and it's only about 10% of the whole marathon, it does seem a little bit excessive. For all the "So many MegaMan games!" claims, at least those only add up to ~6,5 hours.
(And then there's 12 hours of Mario games, too.)

Having never seen a Halo 2 speedrun, I'd just like to say I'd really like to see it done. Fact is that Halo isn't some random FPS no one cares about, it has a pretty massive community that doesn't really cross-seed too much. You may be forfeiting a potentially big audience of donators, and not for a very good reason at all.

Lastly, I'm sad AoE2 got cut down, though at least it's still in. AoE2 probably has more hype than you think considering the HD rerelease and recently announced expansion, and it would be really cool to have a proper size RTS block together with SC2. It's a very, very undervalued genre in terms of speedrunning, and this isn't helping. At the very least, consider making it more than one scenario if there's time to allot or it.
Edit history:
TheMG2: 2013-09-07 06:49:37 pm
Quote from Onin:

As much as Zelda is a staple of the community, the majority of popular SRL streams are Zelda games, and it's only about 10% of the whole marathon, it does seem a little bit excessive.

I feel that specifying which Zelda games to cut rather than making generalizations would be more useful and come off less salty.
Not a walrus
Quote from Radman:
If i may chime in on Ducktales Remastered. Consider the platform each person is running on. I run Wii U, as does Satoryu. George I know is a PC runner. Not sure about the other 65,000 runners. Tongue
Anyway, just something to consider.

Are there differences besides loading times?
I'm a little confused on the TR2013 cut reasoning.  granted I am biased towards it being a runner of the game.  but Tomb Raider 2's shortcuts are more obvious?  Not sure what that has to do with TR2013 getting cut, and what do you mean about them being "obvious" anyway?  If you want to only have 1 Tomb Raider game and think TR2 is a better choice, i wont argue against that, especially with me not knowing much about TR2.  if this was a typo and was meant to be TR2013, again I'm confused on the word "obvious".  Are things like clipping through doors, going OoB, or causing a bridge to load late to prevent it from being exploded obvious?  In terms of "slow qte/cutscenes" there are several sections yes, but not an over excessive amount, and there are several games that are like this with unskippable cutscenes or slow sections.  I think the longest of these "slow sections" is the radio tower which isn't even 2 minutes long.  I'm honestly not upset about it being cut, and I dont mean for my wording to sound angry, it's just that the reasoning is a little weird for it being cut.
Quote from TheMG2:
Quote from Onin:

As much as Zelda is a staple of the community, the majority of popular SRL streams are Zelda games, and it's only about 10% of the whole marathon, it does seem a little bit excessive.

I feel that specifying which Zelda games to cut rather than making generalizations would be more useful and come off less salty.

If i Was to name one, it'd be Twilight Princess.  Not only was it just done, you're doing a longer version of a gmae which isn't an incredibly popular zelda run.  I mean, do we need to have OOT, Wind Waker, AND Twilight Princess?  That seems much.

(If i was to name two, I'd say ALTTP should be out since LADX does the same thing, but I understand ALTTP is a good money maker) 

Of course, in short, what's happened is that from last AGDQ, you've cut the JRPG content in half and given that time to Twilight Princess.  So things really haven't changed from last year.
HELLO!
Quote from Fino1man:
Mike, I am profoundly infuriated by your fucking decision to cut E.T. The Game. I have put countless seconds of practice in it and I think it is an extremely entertaining watch. It only takes 28h and every 10-15h is full of action (and/or glitches). It is easily the best jumpnrun that was offered and there is a(n) drunken community to back me up on this. Furthermore, it hasn't been in a GDQ since SGDQ 2013!

To make things worse, you let in Ocarina of Time. Of all the shit games how could you let in that offensive penis? pheenoh is clearly a boring commentator and the practice he has put in is far less worthy than my own. You have left me beyond a mountain, so I can no longer hide the fact that I am zfg and have my whole life ahead of me to make you pay for this personal offense and I will kill the dongers.

Quote from your_name_here:
Quote from Fino1man:
Mike, I am profoundly infuriated by your fucking decision to cut E.T. The Game. I have put countless seconds of practice in it and I think it is an extremely entertaining watch. It only takes 28h and every 10-15h is full of action (and/or glitches). It is easily the best jumpnrun that was offered and there is a(n) drunken community to back me up on this. Furthermore, it hasn't been in a GDQ since SGDQ 2013!

To make things worse, you let in Ocarina of Time. Of all the shit games how could you let in that offensive penis? pheenoh is clearly a boring commentator and the practice he has put in is far less worthy than my own. You have left me beyond a mountain, so I can no longer hide the fact that I am zfg and have my whole life ahead of me to make you pay for this personal offense and I will kill the dongers.

I know you're being facetious, but ET is actually there. It's in the bonus games.

Heh, based on Mike's comments in the initial thread I'd kind of assumed E.T. was out of the question. Glad I read the thread to know I need to get on my game. Cheesy
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 07:45:34 pm
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 07:45:32 pm
kirbymastah: 2013-09-07 07:45:32 pm
<(^_^)>
Quote from garik16:
Quote from TheMG2:
Quote from Onin:

If i Was to name one, it'd be Twilight Princess.  Not only was it just done, you're doing a longer version of a gmae which isn't an incredibly popular zelda run.  I mean, do we need to have OOT, Wind Waker, AND Twilight Princess?  That seems much.

lol?
Quote from kirbymastah:
Quote from garik16:
Quote from TheMG2:
Quote from Onin:

??

So I have typos.  I could be wrong, but of the zelda games, while TP may be more popular than say Skyward Sword, it's not ALTTP or OOT or WW, which is what I meant.  I don't think it belongs coming back so soon.

But A. not my decision; and B. those complaining should remember that it's basically taking the place of an extra 5 hours devoted to a JRPG (Last year FF9 had 11 hours blocked off, Chrono Trigger has 6), so it's not really taking anything's place.
<(^_^)>
I bolded that specifically since you said "you're doing a longer version of a game which isn't an incredibly popular zelda run" when mofat and pheenoh are both insanely popular TP runners, and also, the CATEGORY of the game is any% which is faster than the one done at SGDQ, which was no save and quit (all dungeons is a donation incentive, as of now) <_<

anyways. (stops posting)
Quote from kirbymastah:
I bolded that specifically since you said "you're doing a longer version of a game which isn't an incredibly popular zelda run" when mofat and pheenoh are both insanely popular TP runners, and also, the CATEGORY of the game is any% which is faster than the one done at SGDQ, which was no save and quit (all dungeons is a donation incentive, as of now) <_<

anyways. (stops posting)

I'm assuming the all dungeons donation incentive will be met, because every donation incentive is met generally.  But if it's shorter, i retract that point and still argue the same thing.  :-P  (Which is again that if I had to complain, it'd be over that, but i don't think I'd complain even if i had a game in here)
Edit history:
Rakuen: 2013-09-07 07:58:48 pm
Rakuen: 2013-09-07 07:58:07 pm
Weegee Time
Quote from garik16:
Quote from kirbymastah:

anyways. (stops posting)
I'm assuming the all dungeons donation incentive will be met, because every donation incentive is met generally.  But if it's shorter, i retract that point and still argue the same thing.  :-P  (Which is again that if I had to complain, it'd be over that, but i don't think I'd complain even if i had a game in here)
If we could meet the Metaflexing incentive of all things (as much as I loved it), I'd say that all dungeons is a Thing That Will Happen.  Now, if you make it a war between all dungeons and the regular run... well that could make things interesting.
I support 151 as well. And Goemon.

Mainly 151, but that's only because I have a prize in mind for that.
My/Duckfist's names are still on for Super C? is a Co-Op race possible? Not sure what your intentions are here but I like them.
Edit history:
PiePusher11: 2013-09-07 08:48:05 pm
PiePusher11: 2013-09-07 08:39:11 pm
mikwuyama: I'm not gonna say "Please put Jungle Beat back in" or anything like that, but, if filtering out the bongo sound is your big issue with it, that's not really an issue. They're not that loud, and, even on my stream, where all I have is a headset microphone, they're barely heard at all over my voice.

Not trying to beg you to put in back in or anything, but if that's your only issue with it, just letting you know that's not really an issue.

Patashu/FearowofTime: Unfortunately, I can't justify going all the way out there, if I won't be running a game at the marathon, so I probably won't go (unless somehow it gets back in?)
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Quote from Radman:
If i may chime in on Ducktales Remastered. Consider the platform each person is running on. I run Wii U, as does Satoryu. George I know is a PC runner. Not sure about the other 65,000 runners. Tongue
Anyway, just something to consider.

Are there differences besides loading times?

From gameplay, no. I think there's some cosmetic/visual things different, but that's it.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Werster: Actually too many incentives is bad for two reasons:

1. Oversaturation and overwhelming, with that many incentives then it's hard to tell what to donate for.

2. When it comes to names, it would take a long time to verify what the name selected is.

If Heart Gold is the more entertaining run, and if we can fix the DS so you're still on the couch, then wouldn't that be the preferable option?

What is this trading card option you are thinking of?

1) I totally disagree with this point. One of the best things about Pokemon is that it is not even close to over complicated. People will donate for whatever is their favourite, or whatever actually works for their idea. Like, someones favourite Pokemon is Lapras, so they donate for the nickname of Lapras, it's not hard at all. Or they want to name Bellsprout "cocksucker" or Arcanine to be "RalpherZ" it's pretty simple honestly and I don't see why you think it's complex for viewers. And I don't see the downside, like if people don't donate for some specific Pokemon, it's not like you are losing out on donations, just not gaining any there.

2) Like I said, my plan was always to gather trading cards of all the Pokemon, and prior to me starting the run, writing down the nicknames I'll be using during the run, and then having them as a prize for the game. This would solve what you think is an issue with having to ask about nicknames (because all the names would be in front of me during the run) and also be a cool piece of the marathon prize + give more incentive to donate for nicknames since they will affect more than just the run

Let me clarify by saying Heart Gold is the more entertaining run to those who actually speedrun Pokemon, like myself. Basically the entertainment from a Heart Gold run would come from the battles, and the entertainment from a 151 run would come from the glitches, the Pokemon themselves, and the overall difficulty of the run (it's by far the hardest Pokemon game to run). People in my chat are still blown away by the fact that you can even get 151 on one cart, and I get asked a lot to do more runs of it. To say it's only even worth considering because of the incentives is really stupid I think, since obviously I never use nicknames on my stream

Oh, and I forgot to post about this before. I think Pokemon Green would've been a perfect 5 minute bonus game since Pokemon can raise money + it's a rarely seen game and everyone knows they are getting something different just from the name, and it's a cool run. Even if you decide not to include it, I'd love to show off what you can do in gen 1 in a glitch showcase when you allow executing arbitrary code, but again it only makes sense if I do 151.