Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 ... 12, 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
It's not 100% fair, but it's definitely something to consider, considering one donor was over half of the donations for the game, and that's not a common occurrence.

You can highlight that run, or if you happen to get a better run later, you can highlight that one.
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
Quote from DutchBlondenessofDoom:
Reason 1 is the main reason of course. HeartGold is just a lot more popular then Blue has or will ever be.

Quote from Monopoli:
Quote from DutchBlondenessofDoom:
Hey,
Reason 1 is the main reason of course. HeartGold is just a lot more popular then Blue has or will ever be.

This statement isnt even almost true. Heart Gold/ Soul Silver Combined sales world wide is 12.6 million.
Red/Blue sold 9.85 million in the US alone in by 1998. I dont know where you are getting the idea that one is more popular from, but I'm assuming that is stems from you being a younger gamer. (I don't mean that offensively)

All things considered, HeartGold wouldn't even exist if Red and Blue hadn't done well.

Anyways, on the subject at hand, this is turning to be an easier read this time around. I've been told that marathon topics past have varied from meh to chaotic before, so a calm civil read is very encouraging. thumbsup

Edit history:
Countneko: 2013-09-15 09:50:25 am
I just think Blue 151 will be a better spectacle than HeartGold and is a lot more nostalgic than it. Mike, you said there's no point in having an extra 2 hours to the schedule (is it really that much longer? I've seen Werster finish it in 4 hours 45 minutes or so, though I guess that doesn't factor in the estimate) without the donation incentives. Don't you think that you could still have a lot of incentives by picking a certain number of select Pokemon that's still logistically manageable (as I mentioned earlier in the thread)? Like maybe 10-15, instead of the 70 or so there would have been?

Even ignoring that, I actually think the extra time given to 151 would only help it, and it would bring in more viewers than HeartGold. I know it seems like I'm pushing a lot for this, but that's because I legitimately think it's a better choice.
Learning to Stream
I say just have a Donation Bidding war for the 2 Pokémon games.... but also make it clear what will get the axe as well.

Gold/Silver + Halo 2 [Or whatever is chosen to fill in the 2hrs] or Blue 151 - Highest donation total gets the choice in.

Then with 151, make it so that it's only a handful of Pokémon will be named.  1st, 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th, 125th, 151st perhaps.

This will create a bidding war so the fans will get to choose which they want to see, so they win, and the charity wins as well for it!

Dunno how well this would work, but just a thought.
We require more minerals
Quote from Countneko:
I just think Blue 151 will be a better spectacle than HeartGold and is a lot more nostalgic than it. Mike, you said there's no point in having an extra 2 hours to the schedule (is it really that much longer? I've seen Werster finish it in 4 hours 45 minutes or so, though I guess that doesn't factor in the estimate) without the donation incentives.

Marathon runs don't estimate for the fastest possible time, but for a longer more stable time so that it can be scheduled easier. Finishing faster than schedule is good because we can fit extra games in, finishing slower is bad because then we're behind. Given how much time can be saved by having the right pokemon appear on a low % chance and getting caught in 151, the variance is pretty high. Saving rare candy usage is a major way of cutting out time on 151. There are some ways to manipulate it, but also some pokemon that are just going to be a little bit more luck intensive. So, yes planning for 151 would be 2 hours longer just to stay safe.

Quote:
Don't you think that you could still have a lot of incentives by picking a certain number of select Pokemon that's still logistically manageable (as I mentioned earlier in the thread)? Like maybe 10-15, instead of the 70 or so there would have been?

Doing anything related to limiting which pokemon can be named will result in people being upset that they can't donate to name their favorite pokemon. That's not likely to be a plausible solution just because agreeing on which subset of pokemon to name is going to be a problem and will result in people being upset either way.

Quote from Mr. Kelly R. Flewin:
I say just have a Donation Bidding war for the 2 Pokémon games.... but also make it clear what will get the axe as well.

Gold/Silver + Halo 2 [Or whatever is chosen to fill in the 2hrs] or Blue 151 - Highest donation total gets the choice in.

Then with 151, make it so that it's only a handful of Pokémon will be named.  1st, 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th, 125th, 151st perhaps.

This will create a bidding war so the fans will get to choose which they want to see, so they win, and the charity wins as well for it!

Dunno how well this would work, but just a thought.

Currenly the schedule has HGold in it. There aren't 2 free hours to allow for HGold + Halo2 at the moment. Adding in 151 would require cutting something else out which is why Mike is being so stubborn. It needs to have a convincing reason to push out another 2 hours of games and that's just hard to justify with HGold being such a good game in its own right. If the pokemon game that was being considered besides 151 was obviously a worse choice, then it would have a better chance, but HGold is still a solid game that looks pretty good in a speedrun. That makes it difficult to put together a solid reason as to why Mike should push two hours of other games off the schedule to make room for 151.
Really, if I could choose between 151 and HGold+Halo2, I'd put all my money on HGOld+Halo2. That may be a bit unfair to the 151 run but at the end of the day that's what this discussion can really be boiled down to. I can see 151 doing better than HG, but I can't possibly see it doing enough better to overcome Halo2.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
It's not really a choice between "HG + Halo 2" vs. 151.  It's actually HG vs. "151 and removing 2 hours of runs that made the cut".  Unless you have 2 hours worth of speedrun that you'd be willing to sacrifice to replace HG with 151 then I can't see this happening.  And even then there's probably other games that deserve those 2 hours more.
Quote from RoboSparkle:
And even then there's probably other games that deserve those 2 hours more.
...like Halo 2.

It's very, very unlikely for anything to change if there aren't any dropouts. So, the situation in which anything changes, is one where 2 hours free up from the schedule. In such a situation, Mike would be able to fill up those 2 hours with either the much requested 151, or the much requested Halo 2. And in that situation, Halo 2 seems like infinitely the best choice to me.
Edit history:
Reed: 2013-09-16 02:21:10 pm
@tiburonCS
Quote:
It's not really a choice between "HG + Halo 2" vs. 151.

This, yeah. I'd rather not encourage any false dichotomies like "this game OR that game." Right now, the schedule is what it is; the rest is up to Mike. Us fans of cut games have to rely on the kindness of strangers. (aka the people who have to drop out. Tongue )
Totally Radical Awesome Game
Oh, is Morrowind done? I don't see it in bonus anymore.
That's too bad.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-09-16 11:18:53 pm
Yeah sorry, Morrowind is done because Skyrim is the bonus game. Maybe we can make it a bonus bonus game to spur donations during Skyrim?

About the bid war idea: Everyone else said their counterpoints better than I could. I'm not going to turn it into a bid war.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from mikwuyma:
Yeah sorry, Morrowind is done because Skyrim is the bonus game. Maybe we can make it a bonus bonus game to spur donations during Skyrim?

Well, Morrowind is super short. So I leave it at this.

Attachment:
Totally Radical Awesome Game
Bonus bonus?
That might just be crazy enough to work.
Just to put this out here, there are definitely people interested in seeing this run:

Pie has been practicing this game a lot and has gotten extremely good at it. This game is just as interesting to watch as the DKC games, if not more since they seem to get ran a lot at marathons. This would be something different, and definitely in a good way.

Also, the bongo sound does NOT overpower the mic at all. You can tell that if you go to Pie's stream.
If I may, since Jungle Beat has been brought up, I would like to add one more thing about it.

(On the off chance that it DOES get back in the marathon, yes, I'm aware how unlikely that is), I would just like to point out that my estimate was a bit off. My original estimate of 1:40:00 was based on runs I have done from a fresh file. If played on a memory card that already has the game completed, you can skip a lot of cutscenes in between kingdoms, the opening, and even the first time you see the credits! This saves about 15 minutes over the course of the run, and I can lower that estimate down to a 1:25:00.
Since I want to make a schedule within a week or two, I had to cut some more games. It sucks, but it had to be done.

I already wrote the games in the cuts spreadsheet, but for those of you who don't want to sift through it, the games and the reasons are below.

Giant Bomb E3 Fighting Champions: Definitely awful, but we have other awful games on the schedule that are better watches.

Max Payne 2: This is a solid game and a good watch with some pretty good tricks, but in a list full of bigger name fps/tps games, this does stick out a bit. Also, even with the tricks the game is slower paced than some of the other fps/tps games we have.

Ninja Gaiden Master System: If we're going to have lesser-known ninja games, Mark of the Ninja and Ninja Five-O are better watches.

Sonic 2: I haven't heard anything from Kiyura, and the only thing I've heard from Aleck47 is that he's getting streaming equipment. Honestly, I have my doubts that will be up to the standard of past Sonic 2 runs, and if a game like this isn't going to have a great runner, it's best to drop the game.

I also cut MTPO down to an hour because the run at this year's AGDQ was 51 minutes for the video length, and that included 9 minutes of setup.
I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the marathon. There's only a 50% chance I'll go so you're better off removing me from the schedule.
I should have been able to stream by now but the only cap card I could afford was a cheapo PoS that died while I was setting up OBS.  Another is on the way, but I was going to do a crap webcam stream to show where I'm at with the game if it didn't arrive by the end of this week.  My bad for not keeping you updated in that regard, but in the future it would probably be best to give a more direct warning in a situation like this.

I'm aware you posted about it a couple pages earlier, but that post was very non-specific about any deadline for proving talent.  The main reason I'm not actually salty about this - and I think it's safe to say that cutting a game like this without specific warning could generate no small amount of anger - is that I would almost certainly be able to make only two marathons next year, I really want one of them to be C4L, and I've been to DC, but not Denver.  Also summer travel is nice.  So I was already debating dropping out in favor of SGDQ anyway.  Also Sonic 2 has been a bit of a mainstay, and it taking a break isn't the worst idea to begin with. Tongue
Jeffsledge: Too bad, took SMB2 off the schedule.

Aleck47: You're right, my post wasn't specific about a deadline, except saying within a month, and I probably should have been more specific such as saying the first week of October. However, I haven't heard much in the way of progress from you and Kiyura, and I do need to make a schedule soon because it's almost October, and people do need to know when they're scheduled in the marathon so they can plan around when to attend. I should have been more vocal about

a. needing progress updates from you and/or Kiyura.

b. The fact I need to make a schedule by October.

And you're right, Sonic 2 could use a bit of a break.
After a lot of thought, I've decided that I am opening Captain Novolin as a game to be cut as needed. While things were still being decided for round 2, I put in a bunch of practice time between it and Xardion and found that while you can certainly expect an SDA submission of Novolin from me some time in the future, it's not a game that I really have a serious interest in.

The run, while short and wacky, is particularly boring. Considering both are deathless, the difference between a good and sloppy run is a matter of a handful of seconds. You run right, follow the jump route, and deal with the 2-3 spots throughout the game where the timing is even remotely tight. I don't think it really even looks all that interesting to watch outside of the novelty of what the game is, though I might be biased by how trivial it is.

If it stays in the schedule, I'll practice and run it, but I wouldn't be upset at all if it were dropped.
Actually, Zerst, I don't need to cut any more games from the schedule. I'm going to work on a schedule this weekend and hopefully I can have a draft out by next Tuesday, which is the day before I drive to the Chicagothon.
Am I still banned or is it okay if I do something silly and short for bonus stream
Quote from Dugongue_:
Am I still banned or is it okay if I do something silly and short for bonus stream

1) This seems like it would have been more appropriate to discuss through PM. Now you will likely draw unwanted attention to yourself, as people are naturally going to wonder why you were banned in the first place.

2) Given that Chicagothon is going on at the moment, you probably won't get an official answer immediately. However, I have a very good idea as to what the answer is.

So, to save you time, here is a projected simulation of what you should expect.

Dugongue_: Can I be unbanned and allowed to go to AGDQ?
Uyama:
Everybody's favorite monster
Perhaps you can try this:
<(^_^)>
Quote from Dugongue_:

This topic absolutely needed a bump for this absolutely necessary question.