Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
In regards to Halo 2, I'd also like to put forth my opinion. I've been following Halo 2 for quite some time now, and, to be honest, it's on par as one of the more entertaining runs if you have the right man to do it. It's fast-paced, usually looks really cool, and has its intense moments. To see it being thrown out (or nearly thrown out) without being given a chance disappoints me very much so. I mean no offense at all, but, you know, stating my opinion.
Edit history:
Linkinito: 2013-09-08 05:54:34 pm
Linkinito: 2013-09-08 05:53:40 pm
Linkinito: 2013-09-08 05:52:28 pm
This is my avatar
Man, my Lorenz Curve was wrong (it was an approximation with classes). Here's the exact Lorenz Curve showing the distribution between the proportion of games, and proportion of time.

Gini coefficient: 0.439.

I should do the distribution of games by genre, but it's quite hard as some games are multi-genre and some games are difficult to see what genre they are truly. But if that's possible, I'd do it for the number of games, and the time spent in the entire marathon. What's great with estimates is we can work with them easily.
Quote from kairos:
You can always argue the "we have a lot of FPSes already" pretty hard, but eventually it's just going to come down to "what game will bring in more money/whats more popular". Remember, regardless of how great the game/run is, if people don't really know about it, it's probably not going to get put in versus games that people already know.

I totally agree with you kairos. However, I think it should be pointed out that over half of the FPS games on the list have not been run at a GDQ marathon before. My point is that, based upon this criterion, one could argue that these games are "not known" and hence have equal merit in comparison to Halo 2.
Quote from LePhoque:
Quote from kairos:
You can always argue the "we have a lot of FPSes already" pretty hard, but eventually it's just going to come down to "what game will bring in more money/whats more popular". Remember, regardless of how great the game/run is, if people don't really know about it, it's probably not going to get put in versus games that people already know.

I totally agree with you kairos. However, I think it should be pointed out that over half of the FPS games on the list have not been run at a GDQ marathon before. My point is that, based upon this criterion, one could argue that these games are "not known" and hence have equal merit in comparison to Halo 2.

And in that case, it comes down to Mike and his consultants.
Edit history:
Dragondarch: 2013-09-08 10:53:33 pm
Dragondarch: 2013-09-08 10:47:00 pm
Pudding%
Did 3 runs of Hard Low% today, last run was a new PB.

http://www.twitch.tv/dragondarchsda/c/2897199

I'm getting significantly more familiar with how to deal with Mecha Ridley's patterns, and I also just learned today that I can partially manipulate rinka drops by killing them in different positions (didn't learn about this until after I finished streaming).
I still need to sit down and route out each room, but I think today was a productive day on practice. I'm confident this will be marathon friendly by the time AGDQ comes up. For now, you could drop the estimate to 2 hours, and once I finish planning out everything, I'll come back to it.

EDIT: One other thing I'd like to mention is that for some of the longer/harder boss fights, there's a distinct tension in the air, both in person, and amongst the viewers. Mecha Ridley is probably the best for this with all the dodging (Mother Brain and some parts of Tourian would probably be second here). Tension and suspense tends to help keep viewers around, and it's not very hard to feel said tension when looking at the room and seeing what's on screen.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention that my average over the last week should be sitting in the 1:40-1:45 range.
Hi there, MorKs here Smiley

Of course, like everyone here that got his game cutoff, I am sad of Donkey Kong Country 3 being cut,
but I can understand that you have a tight schedule and I respect that.

I though the idea of having an entire DKC block would be really awesome for the viewers in general.
They'd know about the "forgotten" DKC game and we would might find new speedrunners for this game in general, because I think it's a hidden gem!
But that's just my personal opinion Wink

Thanks for considering this game in the bonus marathon, because if it does make the bonus, I would come the entire week to have fun with you guys, something I wish to do since last February!!! Cheesy

I hope we can all find a place for DKC3 in our heart (lol) and I still think a DKC block would be AWESOME Cheesy
Let me know about this idea. Maybe your cuts are final, but I don't risk anything for trying myself out here Smiley
I'd like to know people's opinion on this as well. Do you guys think that DKC3 might be a good option?
I'd like to know if people share the same love that I do for this game Smiley

Peace guys!
<(^_^)>
I personally think DKC3 is still a very good watch; even if it doesn't have glitches like DKC1+2, majority of those games are execution-based platformers anyways. And I think people are seriously exaggerating the amount of autoscrollers in DKC3 <_< There are more, but it's not like 1/4 of the game is autoscrolling or something (i think like 4 levels off the top of my head?), half of which are roller-coaster levels which are still impressive. Add on to the fact that DKC1+2 have been done many, many times, and DKC3 has never been done before.

Just my 2 cents about DKC3. It likely won't make it into AGDQ2014, but next GDQ?
I'm located in Montreal, so AGDQ is really much closer to me than SGDQ hehe. But yeah there are 4 autoscrollers in DKC3 and DKC2 has 3 (4 if counting castle crush until crush glitch). I think it's more that DKC3 has been forgotten for so long and has been considered the worst of the serie.

Thanks for your comments on it, Kirbymastah, much appreciated Smiley
For Fun! For GLORY!!
DKC 3 is actually my fav in the SNES series! When I get a new SNES I wanna see if I can run it myself, 100%! Smiley
wesome Cheesy
While not my favorite DKC game, I do agree that it is very underrated, and very well deserving of it's place with the others at AGDQ. Plus, having an entire DKC trilogy block would be pretty cool.
You asked for avatars...
I love all three, but I think 3 is the least popular.  It's definitely a cult classic within the series, because I've known a lot of people who told me they thought it sucked. 

Why is it that the 3rd entry of SNES games is always frowned upon?  X3 is the same way, and for the record I'm hyped for finally seeing that at a marathon again! 
DKC3 got out a bit after the Nintendo 64's official release, which is one reason why people don't really know about it or like it.
Another thing is that DKC2 was a masterpiece, so in order to make a new idea out of it, creators had to go with a crazy idea,
which is overworld map, redesign of the graphics, different feeling in general.
People didn't like DKC3 because it wasn't a DKC2 replica.
as a kid I actually remembering liking DKC3 just as much as 1 and 2 because it was different. I am kind of sad DKC3 got cut I would love to see the game, there is always bonus stream I will be looking for that there!
Edit history:
Overfiendvip: 2013-09-09 12:52:42 am
           never a frown
If more input helps at all, I would love to see DKC3 make it as well, even though I do understand the reasoning against it. If there's any way to make it happen, then I think it would be worth it to have the entire trio of games involved, even if DKC3 isn't the "DKC2 v2" that some people want it to be. Thank you.
Since I started running DKC3 about a year ago, there's been some great development and new strats to see. One that comes to mind is the Barbos fight. Despite how slow the fight might feel in a casual playthrough, it's been optimized to the point where there's very little to no waiting. I think that'd get some hype from viewers.

As far as autoscrollers go, I can only really think of 4 stages in the game that are autoscrolly. In terms of entertainment, I honestly think DKC1 and DKC2 are better for a marathon setting. If there is truly a DKC trilogy chance, DKC3 should be in there. Also, knowing how well Morks is with the game, he's probably one of the best you can get to play DKC3.

I'm always respecting of final choices, since whatever ends up on the schedule will make it a great marathon overall. I'm just voicing my support for DKC3.
Edit history:
Sunblade: 2013-09-09 01:22:06 am
Only Offense Will Survive
Thank you Mike.
You can reduce the estimate by 15 minutes. 1:45:00 it is.

EDIT:
Donation incentive: If enough money was donated, I can do Assignment Ada like you already suggested.
Edit history:
All_Bogs: 2013-09-09 12:45:46 pm
All_Bogs: 2013-09-09 11:04:04 am
All_Bogs: 2013-09-09 04:32:50 am
Whoa. Looks like I'm WAY late to the party. Was going to offer to run Turtles in Time, and possibly even race Mike, though it seems that every marathon is bigger and better than the last, so I'd be worried he wouldn't have time to practice between all the organizational stuff. Guess it's too late for that.

Have to admit I'm pretty hyped for this year's line-up. Quake should be amazing to those who are going to see it for the first time, and Duke 3D should be pretty nifty as well. Having beaten every level in Plutonia from a pistol start, I think I'm ahead of most Doomers, but I can't even begin to imagine how suicidal speedrunning it would be. Then again, people speedrun slaughterfests like Sunder too, so I shouldn't be overly surprised to see it make an appearance.

Shame that Halo 2 didn't make the cut. I'd rather watch that over Half-Life 2 or the N64 shooters, to be frank. You express worry about people thinking less of the Halo series, but quite frankly, I think there's a strong correlation between people who have made bitching about games on the internet into a profession and people who donate nothing to the cause. Vocal minority and all that. Can't imagine the average viewer caring much at all, as long as the run's good. Just a hunch, though.

Regarding the DKC series, I feel that both DKC 1 and 3 are a tier below DKC 2, with the gameplay in DKC 1 being overly simply, and the levels in DKC 3 being overly gimmicky at times, as you mentioned. Still, I feel that the varied gameplay of part 3 would make it more suitable for a marathon than part 1. Regarding auto-scrollers, DKC 3 has two "minecart"-levels, which are quite entertaining if the runners are willing to do some stunts to collect hidden items, and the saw-level and rope-on-fire level which are both honestly quite boring. DKC 1 has two mine-cart levels (with one having that awesome skip), the magical-vertical-floating-rope level in world 3, and the two auto-scrolling platform levels in world 5 and 6. Calling out DKC 3 on its auto-scrollers is hardly fair. (disregard this, seems I'm behind the times!) Still, can't deny that DKC 1 will likely be more popular.

Briefly discussed the Pokemon issue with a few friends. We all try to catch as much of the marathons as we can, but we generally agree that combat-based RPGs like Pokemon and Final Fantasy aren't exactly interesting to watch. During SGDQ I briefly checked out FF V to see how one would fight Ex-Death in a speedrun, and after seeing somebody mention it on Reddit, I briefly checked the VOD to see what Brossentia did to the poor game. While I love Chrono Trigger to bits, I doubt any of us will be watching much of it. Same goes for Pokemon, as amazing a commentator as Werster is, it's just not interesting enough to watch all the way through, so we'd definitely go with the faster run. I also get the feeling some people here just how much of a logistical nightmare all the donation incentives might be. You can't be like "we'll do it live" if something goes wrong during the marathon, y'know.

Pretty hyped about seeing Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask (and of course Cosmo) in the Zelda section, but I feel that Twilight Princess just isn't worth the time - watched a significant part the run during the last marathon and wasn't exactly wowed. Given the fact that it gobbles up a large chunk of time, I'd rather see that spent on Zelda 1, one of the Oracle games and possible all masks. Or, y'know, something not Zelda.

Just my two cents.
Yo, just wanted to throw in that whenever any of the DKC runners are playing 1 or 2, we constantly get asked if we also run the third.

Great schedule and getting hype!
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from mikwuyma:
The first thing I want to stress is that I'm glad that most people are being calm and keeping things cool. I understand it's not easy to stay calm when a game you run or really like has been cut, and I appreciate that people are keeping a cool head about things.

Yes, one hundred times this. Thank you everybody for keeping it civil. If you read the SGDQ wrap-up and suggestions, you will know I feared this thread would turn into drama. I'm so happy that I'm proven completely wrong. Whatever you did this time as opposed to last year, do it again Wink
Over and out.
While I support dkc3 in the marathon, saying that dkc1 has the same amount of autoscrolls in a speedrun sense is a bit outdated. All of the autoscrolls can be skipped in 1 whether its a developer placed warp, a frameperfect jumproll, or a newly found superjump. Anyways, like I said I do support dkc3 just because it hasn't been done and it completes the dkc block. Doesn't hurt that its a much more exciting run than most people seem to think.
In the future why not just have 2 GDQ streams instead of cutting a lot of the games that are marathon worthy?

One for all of the hype shit that will rake in the viewers, and one with other good speedruns that deserve attention (so everyone who wants to run a game has a much better chance of running what they want).
Likes SoM far too much
Quote from Crankeey:
In the future why not just have 2 GDQ streams instead of cutting a lot of the games that are marathon worthy?

One for all of the hype shit that will rake in the viewers, and one with other good speedruns that deserve attention (so everyone who wants to run a game has a much better chance of running what they want).

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/multiple_streams_at_future_marathons.html here you go. discuss to your heart's content.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2013-09-09 01:07:08 pm
<(^_^)>
Quote from Crankeey:

Go to https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/multiple_streams_at_future_marathons.html if you want

EDIT: Sniped again
Thanks a lot people by the way for the support, much appreciated! Smiley  Of course, the decision belongs to the organizers and I would understand if DKC3 is not what you're searching for. As I said, I would still come to hang out with everyone and have the best time of my life! ^^