<- 1  -   of 28 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from Marche_Fighter_Paladin:
Donation incentives are only important at this point if you want to include them in your pitch (although if it affects the estimate, then yes you should mention it).

Thanks, I actually forgot about that.

Mike: one of the donation incentives I was going to pitch was to follow the LADX run with an any% glitched, the same run Romscout did a few years ago. 1:20 is a pretty generous estimate of the actual run, and the glitched run would certainly not pass 10:00, so add 5 minutes of setup and 1:35:00 seems like a good estimate for the whole package.
www.twitch.tv/synkhronisity

My suggestions:

Jak 3 [1:20] I've been running this game for a year or so. I'm pretty confident that I could run it at AGDQ.

Final Fantasy XIII [8:00] This one is a bit iffy but I would love to do it. I've run this for over a year now. It might be a bit long and that's my only concern.

Nier [4:00] It would be a fun run for me and it allows me to have a game I would enjoy playing as well.

Those are my suggestions. Hopefully something gets picked up!
Jumping Turtle
Quote from sinister1:
Quote from Radman:
I might as well put this here then pester Micktator Uyama with a PM. With all the runners I see now for DuckTales: Remastered, I say not let him decide, but let donors decide who runs it. Put up a bid war with all the runners as choices, and the winner runs it. Smiley

That would require all those runners to be on site. Not really fair to them as some people are more interested in coming if they have a game than not. Also what Parax said in another thread:

Quote from Paraxade:
It'd also be dumb to tell someone "hey [runner], I know you don't actually have any games in the marathon but two of your rejected offers are up for the donation war so you have to practice both of them just in case you get picked even though there's a good chance you aren't playing either of them."

An excellent point, but one could argue that the SRL community has kept runners actively competing in games for the exact kind of reason ideal to SDA - pushing the limits of the run. Additionally, many people go to GDQs for the meet-up even if they're not scheduled to do anything to directly assist the marathon. If there happen to be multiple people close in skill and still actively playing it by January, and are also on-site, it still may be interesting.

That's hypothetical, though.
Listed in order of which ones I'd like to do most to least. http://www.twitch.tv/slayerofbabies if you want to see if my commentary is suitable.

1. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Any%) [Estimate 2:45:00] - Monster Hunter needs to be in a *GDQ. If you want me to kill myself after the run, you could include a donation incentive to complete the whole run without armour. File name is a much more preferable one. Example run:

2. Fallout: New Vegas (Any%) [Estimate 0:45:00] - It's Fallout, not much to say about it. Could have a donation incentive to listen to the Benny sex scene. Courier name donation incentive too. Example run:

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (Any%) [Estimate 0:50:00] - Some cool tricks in this run, but they're not extremely consistent so I'd probably do 3 attempts on the first skip of the run if that's cool, and if I didn't get it, continue without it (It only saves 3 minutes or so.) I would be doing the trick with the chair for sure, though. Example run: http://www.twitch.tv/slayerofbabies/c/2725297
"Let's put a SMILE on that face!"
Quote from mikwuyma:
CVagts: Suikoden is a fairly popular PS-era RPG, but at the same time, there are many of those, and we have a pretty strong RPG line up already.

romscout made me post this:

MEAN GENE, I hear the spiteful words of the Uyamanati!  They say that Suikoden is “just another popular RPG.”  They say the RPG slate at Awesome Games Done Quick is good enough without the likes of Suikoden.  I understand perfectly what the Uyamanati has claimed.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, UYAMANATI!  I have heard the cries of the Suikomaniacs, and they disagree with you!  They tell me that Suikoden is more than just a popular RPG.  It speaks to the joys of nostalgia, which is what casual fans can enjoy.  It bleeds with donation incentives, like the Uyamanati gushes about on a daily basis.  Most importantly, Mean Gene, and I know this is your personal favorite, Suikoden resonates with people on the Uyamanati’s most important level:  commentary.  There is nothing but the highest of praise regarding CVagts and his Suikoden runs, and I think that’s something that you, Uyamanati, can understand.

Mike Uyama, the idea of Suikoden being “just another RPG” is one thing, but to deny the likes of every last Final Fantasy is ludicrous!  This is an affront for which we will not stand, and it is an attack that we take as a declaration of war!  If Mike Uyama and the rest of the Uyamanati are truly prepared for war, the Suikomaniacs and I will be all too happy to oblige.  January 5th, at the Crowne Dulles in Herndon, Virginia, I challenge Mike Uyama to a fight, inside the confines of a fifteen-foot high steel cage!  If you are truly prepared for war, Uyamanati, I will be all too happy to bring it to you!
[quote="CVagts"]
The question is, how good of a series does it compare to that of any square/enix based rpg?
The second thing you have to consider is this good  for a Marathon or are there better alternatives like mike mentioned?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I'll answer the page 23 and 24 stuff either later tonight or sometime tomorrow, but I just want to say the deadline for submissions is Sunday the 25th at 11 PM Eastern.
Likes SoM far too much
Quote from CVagts:
Quote from mikwuyma:
CVagts: Suikoden is a fairly popular PS-era RPG, but at the same time, there are many of those, and we have a pretty strong RPG line up already.

romscout made me post this:

MEAN GENE, I hear the spiteful words of the Uyamanati!  They say that Suikoden is “just another popular RPG.”  They say the RPG slate at Awesome Games Done Quick is good enough without the likes of Suikoden.  I understand perfectly what the Uyamanati has claimed.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, UYAMANATI!  I have heard the cries of the Suikomaniacs, and they disagree with you!  They tell me that Suikoden is more than just a popular RPG.  It speaks to the joys of nostalgia, which is what casual fans can enjoy.  It bleeds with donation incentives, like the Uyamanati gushes about on a daily basis.  Most importantly, Mean Gene, and I know this is your personal favorite, Suikoden resonates with people on the Uyamanati’s most important level:  commentary.  There is nothing but the highest of praise regarding CVagts and his Suikoden runs, and I think that’s something that you, Uyamanati, can understand.

Mike Uyama, the idea of Suikoden being “just another RPG” is one thing, but to deny the likes of every last Final Fantasy is ludicrous!  This is an affront for which we will not stand, and it is an attack that we take as a declaration of war!  If Mike Uyama and the rest of the Uyamanati are truly prepared for war, the Suikomaniacs and I will be all too happy to oblige.  January 5th, at the Crowne Dulles in Herndon, Virginia, I challenge Mike Uyama to a fight, inside the confines of a fifteen-foot high steel cage!  If you are truly prepared for war, Uyamanati, I will be all too happy to bring it to you!

I would donate to see a cage fight using Socker Boppers
Highly Evolved
Quote from mikwuyma:
Darkwing Duck: No on second quest. Not enough time.

If I may make a counter argument, a $5000 donation incentive (10k if game is later in the marathon) would be worth the 45 minutes. 
may use a few too many Kappas
I have very realistic, very low expectations about my chances to play either game I am about to offer considering that similar and/or same games have already been rejected, but I feel obligated as the current-as-of-this-post World Record holder in each category to make these offers.

http://www.twitch.tv/CardsOfTheHeart

Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA) - any% [1:10:00] (WR is 59:46)
Yes, it's a golf game and yes, it's a RPG, but it actually has some pace to it and it is highly technical. The ability to add spin to the ball compared to previous Mario Golf games gives the game more flair and allows you to do more with your shots. My current record may be barely under an hour, but I'm constantly finding 1-2 second optimizations that can lower that time by 2-3 minutes at least, setting up for a very polished run come AGDQ. If you really want the character choice of Ella or Neil as a bidding war, that is out there for you if you so choose.

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (GBC) - Intense difficulty [0:30:00] (WR is 21:05)
I am fully aware that unusualcook was rejected for this category. (He's only eight seconds behind me.) I am fully aware that ilikebeingsmart was rejected for Pokemon Puzzle League Super Hard. (It should be noted that's she's one of the few people on record with a sub-30 S-Hard run. I am also one of those people.) The fact of the matter is that I bring the title "World Record Holder" to the run. It's not a deal-closer, but it's not like that has zero weight. unusualcook's run at the Happy Tails Marathon left chat "amazed" for much of the run so it's capable of good reception. It's much faster-paced and more pressure-packed than most puzzlers. Also, PUZZLE LEAGUE =/= DR. MARIO Pokemon choice as a donation incentive is available if you want to go that route.

I'll leave you with an exact quote from mike89 that he said recently: "PPC Intense is nuts"
Z1mb0bw4y PMed me and told me that Azorae and Znernicus should race Portal 1, so I took him off the list.

Sonic Unleashed: Okay, it has good glitches and breaks. I think it's worth considering for a future marathon, but 3d Sonic didn't do so hot last AGDQ and I think it's good if they took a breather.

Page 23 stuff:

Bismuth: Yeah I did overlook this. Apogee games for the most part don't stick out too much, there are a couple of popular ones, but this doesn't strike me as one of them, and I remember watching the TAS.

Edenal:

World of Illusion: Hmmmm, I did reject this the last time, but we are having a small Disney block, and this is one of the more well-respected games. I'll add it for now.

SNES Star wars offerings: Ehhh I'm not hyped about this game being a race because there's a lot to explain with all the glitches.

Kotti: Yeah that is for the best, see how it fares in other marathons.

drogbass: Okay. It's up to you whether you want a bid war or not.

Guhbadoo: Startropics II is a cult classic but I feel like there's not much of a need to repeat it since SGDQ 2012. Maybe for a later marathon, but not now.

Toki: Less painful than the Genesis version, but not really a standout game and fairly obscure. No.

Boku Dracula-kun: This game is cute, but we don't really have a super cute games block. Maybe for WTFJapan block? I'd have to ask.

dntn31: okay I can put you on the list, but this shouldn't be a race because 2player lags like crazy.

Radman: That is a bad idea for the reason sinister mentioned, and it would be less about who has the best time/is most consistent and more of a popularity contest.

ET: I really don't feel strongly about this game one way or another. It could be a bonus game for how infamous it is.

Dime: We can go over that for second round.

Vega4993: I'll just put down a Time Crisis game and you can make up your mind or we can make it a bid war later. Tongue
I play games, wanna fight about it?
Quote from mikwuyma:
Vega4993: I'll just put down a Time Crisis game and you can make up your mind or we can make it a bid war later. Tongue

You got it and you won't regret it Cheesy

Also shoutouts to Controllerhead and Flicky, both are great runners and deserve to be there as well
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-08-21 11:37:13 pm
And the current page!

giuocob: Okay I bumped up the estimate to 1:40:00 because I'm just that paranoid about schedule.

Synkhronisity:

Jak 3: I'll consider this, but I don't think there should be more than one Jak game in the marathon.

FFXIII: I've said it before, XIII is a very love/hate thing

Nier: We just did this at SGDQ and it's a cult-classic game at best. Also, are you implying that you don't enjoy the other games you run?

SlayerOfBabies:

Monster Hunter Freedom 2: I watched some parts of the run and it looked really boring (lots of menus and walking from point to point), and I consulted with some people, including some Monster Hunter fans and they agreed it was boring.

Fallout: New Vegas: I rejected Fallout 3 and that has more glitches and breaks than this game. No.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat: We have a ton of strong FPS offerings.

CVagts: Cage Match. AGDQ 2014. Let's go.

Darkwing Duck: If I may make a counter counter argument, I could make a $5000 donation incentive for Link's Awakening glitched and it would probably be met, and that's much shorter.

CardsOfTheHeart:

Mario Golf:

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge: It looks like this game had a good reception at Happy Tails so I think it's worth offering as a bonus game. The question is whether you or unusualcook runs the game. I don't think this is a good game for racing if it works like its console brethren where you fight computers and have to hope you get lucky sometimes.

Do people prefer this game over Puzzle League? I feel that people would prefer the N64 game, but that's just my suspicion and not really based on anything aside from people really like the N64.

Okay, I'm now caught up. That didn't take too long. Wink

Just FYI, I am taking a trip from Thursday to Saturday afternoon, so I won't be around to answer posts for a couple of days.
may use a few too many Kappas
Mike, Puzzle Challenge is much more marathon safe than Puzzle League. Puzzle League has a LOT more RNG that could make the action somewhat repetitive to watch, especially if a stage goes longer than five minutes which is a HIGH probability. Puzzle Challenge runs go 20-30 minutes on average. Puzzle League runs are 30 minutes minimum (only a handful of people have one or two runs below that) and can go over an hour, which explains ilikebeingsmart's estimate of 1:10. I couldn't possibly imagine giving an estimate below 0:50:00 for Puzzle League, whereas I find 0:30:00 for Puzzle Challenge to be quite generous.

Puzzle League is the more popular game in my opinion and I would be open to running it provided someone else brings the game, but that run would be more likely to go salty and come off as repetitive.

As for me or unusualcook, cook has proven himself to provide insightful commentary in a marathon setting and since his PB is only eight seconds back, you're not going to miss too much. It's a question of skill level vs. commentary, really.
Ah well less RNG is always good, and it's still recognizable to Puzzle League fans, so let's try Puzzle Challenge as the bonus game.
Not sure if Surreal told you Mike, but he said he wants me to do ae2 instead of him doing 3.
Zoast, Bertin started running shinobi 3 recently his pb is a little bit below 30min, maybe race material?
Thank you so much for considering Puzzle Challenge Mike.  I think the main thing missing from puzzle game runs is commentary, and a lot of us in the Puzzle League/Puzzle Challenge community have done well in online marathon settings providing commentary AND playing at a high level.  Puzzle Challenge is definitely the better game to consider because of less RNG and shenanigans.  I'm not as familiar with Challenge, but I guarantee you that the commentary between Cards, unusualcook and myself would be top notch and worthy of a bigger marathon setting.  Puzzle games live! (For now)
Keeper of TASBot
After many discussions on IRC in #sda and #TASVideos, we at TASVideos would like to offer the following Tool-Assisted Speedrun demonstrations on real consoles in support of the marathon:

Gradius (Tool-Assisted Speedrun using NESBot) [10:52.35 + 5 minutes setup]: This Tool-Assisted Speedrun was carefully crafted by Adelikat to take this simplistic autoscroller and turn it into art and has since been verified on an original NES console.  I will handle setting up the hardware and Adelikat can provide commentary on the run.

Super Mario 64 (0-Star Tool-Assisted Speedrun using a modified N64Bot) [5:02.25 + 5 minutes setup]:  This Tool-Assisted Speedrun was the final result of several frame wars and is considered one of the best TAS videos.  The run has been verified on a real console using two different input interface designs.  I will handle setting up the hardware (thanks go to Corrodias on #sda for donating N64 hardware to help make this possible).  A few people in #tasvideos have offered to provide commentary during the run.

Donation incentives: There are a number of short console-verified NES games including Tetris (playaround) [02:17.36] by Baxter, Marble Madness [02:43.01] by Aglar, and SMB2 [07:41.16] by Aglar and Andrewg.  Donations could go toward which bonus game to demonstrate, provided the list of choices was known ahead of time for proper testing.  With one bonus game included, the entire TAS Demonstration block would be around 30 to 45 minutes total depending on the length of potential bonus games picked.

Finally, I've spoken with Adelikat and he is on board with having TASVideos actively sponsor the marathon this year in the form of promoting the marathon on the front page and soliciting raffle prizes from the TASVideos community.  Adelikat is also willing to participate in a TAS race provided an appropriate game can be selected.  Please let me know if there is anything specific we can do to help.  Thank you for your consideratikon,

A.C.
Edit history:
Patashu: 2013-08-22 04:01:09 am
If you're bringing a NESBot to AGDQ2014, it sounds like the perfect time to try for new console verifications - which have in the past been limited by NESBot owners' libraries. If any new TASes are found to be console verifiable, the list of TASes you can demonstrate will grow.

Also, it will be amusing to have the estimate be millisecond precise for once Smiley
This TASing idea should maybe be in a seperate topic. Surely, there are many things to be discussed about it, but people don't want to clog up this topic. Personally, I think Mario 64 is the only good suggestion outside of the bonus stream. A 0 star run normally can't be done in a marathon setting, but it's awesome to see, and this is probably the only way. So that's a nice justification for why "we" need to have a robot run it instead. It would be nice if somebody could pack the Arduino inside an actual robot looking thing. Would be a nice gag.
Haters gonna hate
I second having TASbot play Gradius so hard!!!
Edit history:
Mystery: 2013-08-22 05:22:36 am
Mystery: 2013-08-22 05:22:26 am
Quote from Guest:
This TASing idea should maybe be in a seperate topic. Surely, there are many things to be discussed about it, but people don't want to clog up this topic. Personally, I think Mario 64 is the only good suggestion outside of the bonus stream. A 0 star run normally can't be done in a marathon setting, but it's awesome to see, and this is probably the only way. So that's a nice justification for why "we" need to have a robot run it instead. It would be nice if somebody could pack the Arduino inside an actual robot looking thing. Would be a nice gag.

Have you looked at TASes? They tend not only to pull of tricks impossible to do real-life (eg Mario 64), but also pull of feats that are impossible real life (eg Gradius, where they circle enemies). You should give them all a watch before rejecting them. Both Gradius and Mario 64 and other games pull of things impossible for humans to do, which looks impressive. It's not just about tricks - it's also about how impressive the gameplay is.
Quote from mikwuyma:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat: We have a ton of strong FPS offerings.

Stalker:CoP isn't a FPS first. It's more like a RPG/survival mix and the run is all about sequence breaks. That's like rejecting OoT, because "we have a ton of strong hack and slash offerings".
It's still an FPS. It's also a pretty weak marathon showing with no good donation incentives and potentially marathon unsafe (though Slayer's consistency has impressed me a lot).