Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AdvancedDungeonsAndDragonsHotL.html

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Deaths]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'ktwo'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Deaths]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/AdvancedDungeonsAndDragonsHotL-20200712/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Looks like the MQ is a larger file than HQ for some reason.

"When you exit the menu, the game will put you in an x-position calculated by removing the modulus 16 of the position you had before the menu." Does that mean it only works in one direction?

I think this is similar to other ktwo runs. Good RNG (apparently), hardly anything to complain about in the execution. I don't know how massive the game is but of course a more thorough look should probably have went into route options a bit earlier even though the fastest paths may be too risky.

accept
Yeah, I think I've seen MQ files being larger than HQ before. Especially for NES-games. I don't remember the reason for it though.

Correct, the menu teleportation helps you in one direction (right-to-left) and works against you in the other direction (left-to-right). The trick isn't big enough to have the final say in where to enter the menu though. Other things need to be considered as well. As it turns out, neither of the run's menu trips took advantage of this. The decision to enter the menu in the selected locations were chiseled out during planning, practice and attempts and should be described in the run comments of the respective rooms. Earlier iterations of the route used different locations for the menu trips and took advantage of menu teleportation though. It's also worth mentioning that the TAS uses it and I guess you never know when a trick can be helpful, so I decided to include it in the comments.

I know there is (or at least was) a game map floating around the web, but I wasn't able to find it again (I spent some time looking for it recently to ensure there were no more oversights that could be revealed). The game is pretty big and I have no doubt a casual player would risk getting lost. However, I'm having trouble seeing how any big and obvious routing mistakes could still be present. I guess you should never say never though and it would be nice to find that link to the game map again to give it a final hard look...
Professional Second Banana
A/V quality fine for an NES game.  A solid time improvement to the current site run and the comments do a great job explaining the new routing/strategies that made it possible - easy accept.
Decision posted.