Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 45 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Wait, I don't understand, what have I missed? Why is the HL run not on SDA anymore?

Is it because of SW's ban? :'(:-X:-\
Exoray
uh no. It's in the news Wink
I don't see anything, could you enlighten me? I really must've missed an episode here...
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2011-07-16 06:53:12 am
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
Ctrl+F5 the news post.

"Now that the corpus of the update is done with, we have a couple administrative matters to take care of. Firstly, you might remember from earlier updates and some... discussions on the forums that scripts have been banned. Now, it would be a dick move to retroactively remove the already made scripted runs from the archive, but we (as in, the entire staff) think that having them on the main pages might make people think that scripted runs are still accepted. So, the game pages have been updated accordingly, and the scripted runs are all on this page. The look of that page will probably change to be less cluttered sometime in the future, by the way."
Oh, right, seems fair, thank you.
I recall that there were several runs carried out without scripts. Think they were HL, HL:Blue Shift and HL2. Are these not classified in a separate category or were they just replaced with the scripted runs? Seeing as the scripted runs have there own section now, what does that mean for the original non-scripted runs?
All of those had scripts, as far as I know. There's a Portal SS without scripts on the 360, they left that on the run page, but moved the other Portal runs over, so they have considered that.

Non-scripted runs will still be accepted, though I don't know if there was any chance in the acceptance of Bunny Mod?
I think there was a blue shift run by LaughingGas? which I thought had no scripts in it. Also I thought Marsh did a HL2 run without scripts. I think he bound jump to the mouse wheel? I could be completely wrong as it's going back a couple of years
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2011-07-16 11:48:21 am
Hmm, so going back to previous submissions that must have been obsoleted. Not sure if SDA are planning to do that...
Visit my profile to see my runs!
As for HL2, if I'm not mistaken, some people were against putting up Marsh's run to fill the void because it wasn't super optimized.  I dunno, maybe I'm imagining that. 

If you want to check it out, go here.
Svart Lyser Tronen
My first TAS test run of Half-Life

Probably seconds from optimal, but a good step forward.
Since scripts are not detectable by any external means, I guess this means all future runners have to do is claim they did not use scripts and miss a jump here and there. Neat. Love the good old honor system!
hi
anyone else missing Dr. Rosenberg?
Quote from MaxImuS-X:
Since scripts are not detectable by any external means, I guess this means all future runners have to do is claim they did not use scripts and miss a jump here and there. Neat. Love the good old honor system!

Well, there'd have to be quite a few mistakes in the run for our experienced verifiers not to notice something like that.  But even if that does become a concern, we could always force people to record themselves playing ... cuz that'd be a lot of fun.  And anyway, if people are using scripts but are sabotaging their runs just to get them on SDA ... that'd be pretty silly, because there are plenty of places to go where you can use scripts without inhibition.  If you sabotaged the run at points just so it looks 'crappy enough' to have been played by a normal person without script assistance, then you sure as hell would not have made a run that the script users would care about.  So, you'd be essentially blowing off your own audience.  But whatever.
Edit history:
rayvex: 2011-09-03 06:44:47 am
hi
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Quote from MaxImuS-X:

Well, there'd have to be quite a few mistakes in the run for our experienced verifiers not to notice something like that.  But even if that does become a concern, we could always force people to record themselves playing ... cuz that'd be a lot of fun.  And anyway, if people are using scripts but are sabotaging their runs just to get them on SDA ... that'd be pretty silly, because there are plenty of places to go where you can use scripts without inhibition.  If you sabotaged the run at points just so it looks 'crappy enough' to have been played by a normal person without script assistance, then you sure as hell would not have made a run that the script users would care about.  So, you'd be essentially blowing off your own audience.  But whatever.

Did you say experienced Half-Life verifiers... at SDA?

I must've missed something.
You could always offer to verify yourself. 

Seriously, if you or other people agree with the position that we should allow scripts simply because they are difficult to detect, then you have completely missed the point.

But whatever, this argument is beyond tired at this point, so I apologize for encouraging it.  Going to find something else to do.
Edit history:
rayvex: 2011-09-05 12:57:31 am
hi
huh?

I didnt say anything on the scripts subject.

You could always offer to verify yourself. 

I would if there were any pending HL runs waiting for verification, but there arent any.. and there wont ever be again seeing as how all the known HL runners on SDA wouldnt bother with a scriptless run.
There won't ever be any non-script runs of Half-Life again?

I'll just go ahead and disagree with you there.  Might have to wait awhile, but we're willing to do that.

Btw, I wasn't directing the previous post at you beyond the first line.  When I used "you," it was a general "you" directed at anyone advocating the opposite position from my own.  Just so you know.
Just so you know.
Just so everyone knows, or was that directed at ravyex alone? I'm confused.
Um, rayvex I suppose.  Lol, doesn't really matter.  Let's just get back to posting HL runs.
Svart Lyser Tronen
Uppdatera förstaposten för fan, micke!
I'm a Half-Life runner ;)
Removed dead links and made some other minor changes to the first post. If someone can give me a good host which doesn't delete the files like 1mounth after I uploaded, I'm willing to upload some speedruns that the thread is missing.
you could try putting them on archive.  megaupload-type sites will usually keep the video up for a few months, though they too eventually delete.  other than that, you could also use youtube/google video, but obviously the video will have loss unless you have one of those snazzy uploading accounts. 

i suppose if the run is less than 100mb's, you could also just attach it to a post and then link to that post on the first page.  that's all i've got for now.
Edit history:
quadrazid: 2011-10-23 03:37:33 am
Svart Lyser Tronen
Opposing Force

Since I can't stream properly I was going to record my OF SS route for droogie and some other dudes. and it went way better than expected. I only died once about ½ way through.

Capped version on steam, no scripts (would go to SDA eventually)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9297051/OF_2segs.rar two demos
Quote:
First off, let me tell you this is a temporary brief set of comments, I will have much better ones with lots of detail up here probably by august, 2007