page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Keep it coming!
Svart Lyser Tronen
The run have started. You can follow our progress over here Google docs timesheet
We're currently on the broken bridge map just before Office Complex. 1:23.98 minutes ahead at this point.
train kept rollin
Possibly my most anticipated run.
Iha paska
If someone claimed near 1½ minute improvements two years ago already at this point, I would have called them liars outright.
The tricks currently used are just that good.

This will make the old run look a lot slower in comparison if all goes well.
we have lift off
So what mods were made in the end?
Edit history:
djcj: 2012-06-06 06:17:35 am
c1a0c has a negative improvement. Did you grab some necessary equipment that you needed for later improvements or what's the reason behind this?

Quote from oasiz:
If someone claimed near 1½ minute improvements two years ago already at this point, I would have called them liars outright.
The tricks currently used are just that good.

I absolutely agree. With all this triggerdelay stuff and b-hopping on stairs it's just amazing what's possible. And it's not like SW's run was bad, it was one of the best FPS runs I've seen so far... and then came quadrazid.
I'm looking forward for this one. Are you going to make a slo-mo comment video, too? (Someone, don't remember who, made such a video for a half-life run, and it was a great watch IMO)
Svart Lyser Tronen
Quote from ridd3r.:
So what mods were made in the end?
Besides from restoring some old-version features like unlimited bhopping to the Steam version, we have tons of new HUD elements. Stuff like clock, timers, counters, horizontal/vertical velocity, xyz position, automatic demorecording, custom placement of all HUDs... With these features we can easily spot optimal strategies and compare demos ect.

Quote from djcj:
c1a0c has a negative improvement. Did you grab some necessary equipment that you needed for later improvements or what's the reason behind this?
c1a0c is the "broken testchamber" map. We used the changelevel trigger in the ceiling, while SW stood in the window at transition. So we had simply a bit longer distance to next map compared to SW. But since the map before was 65s faster, i guess it was worth it ;>

Quote from Kabuto:
I'm looking forward for this one. Are you going to make a slo-mo comment video, too? (Someone, don't remember who, made such a video for a half-life run, and it was a great watch IMO)
Thank you. It was my Opposing Force run with that commentary. We'll probably end up making similar video for this run as well. Don't worry.
ridd3r:
Bhop has the following changes to the retail (.diff'ed the code with the SDK sources).
- Gauss will behave properly during level transitions (loaded instead of abruptly restarting the charge)
- Call to one extra routine commented out, was added with a patch to prevent the bunnyhopping.

- Demo recording made more convenient. (Does not affect gameplay at all)
And naturally the others quad mentioned are just overlays and don't affect the actual gameplay at all.

And I agree, A super "once and for all" commentary/documentary would be cool to have for HL1. Even if the run gets obsoleted later on, it will still be a HUGE resource for information. There is so much to tell that you can't really describe with words alone.
Plus alternative routes could be displayed there. There isn't much at the moment other than youtube video snippets.

Quad: maybe we could do such a video that would explain things in detail instead of just doing that wiki. A video could have pretty much the same information but could always go in-depth with a lot of thing. Of course after this run is done so we'll have good reference points. Up for it ?
hello, world!
I like this idea
Can't wait!
Any update on this?
Edit history:
coolkid: 2012-06-20 05:31:11 am
coolkid: 2012-06-20 05:23:33 am
The segment we're working on at the moment (38) is the hardest segment yet, it might even be the hardest segment in the run (keep speed to door->shoot barney->grab nades->get barney to follow you in his rage->manipulate barney into opening the door with nades while building speed for upcoming duckroll in the stairs). The door glitch won't work if we divide into more than one segments and getting perfect enemy manipulation in one segment is very difficult.

It's gonna take us several months of attempting segments before we complete the run so don't expect any major updates too often. You could check out the thread at sourceruns for more updates.
All right, thanks man. How long will it take before its done?
Svart Lyser Tronen
Quote from Fifafan2000:
Any update on this?

You can follow our progress here Google docs timesheet. I suggest bookmarking it to anyone interested.
I'm not sure how often and what i should post here. Its not a run for SDA after all, but I guess many here are interested anyway. Suggestions?

So I managed to cut the first map of Office Complex (c1a2) in half with three new objectboosts, fastswitch-save and secondary fire for the blocking crabs

A quick time history of the map:
think-circle 55.9
Dopefish 55.1
RandomEngy 46.5
Spider-Waffle 29.66
New 14.59

-
It's impossible to say whenever this will be completed, within a year i hope.
Quote from quadrazid:
Quote from Fifafan2000:
Any update on this?

You can follow our progress here Google docs timesheet. I suggest bookmarking it to anyone interested.
I'm not sure how often and what i should post here. Its not a run for SDA after all, but I guess many here are interested anyway. Suggestions?

So I managed to cut the first map of Office Complex (c1a2) in half with three new objectboosts, fastswitch-save and secondary fire for the blocking crabs

A quick time history of the map:
think-circle 55.9
Dopefish 55.1
RandomEngy 46.5
Spider-Waffle 29.66
New 14.59

-
It's impossible to say whenever this will be completed, within a year i hope.

Well I personally love reading the updates, but don't visit the other board/s that you may post on. Whatever is easiest for you though!
Svart Lyser Tronen
Some tricks wont be used and some excluded ones will be kept secret for now. Demos by quadrazid, spider-waffle and coolkid.

Special thanks to FELip
hello, world!
lol, qethics was cool

Nice finds everyone
Svart Lyser Tronen
Status update

After a long, long time being stuck on segment 38 we are now moving forwards again. We worked on 38 back in June, July, getting an OK time. But spider-waffle insisted that it easily could be improved putting some more effort on it
(maybe 0.5s improvement on a 13.35s segment). But months passed by without any improvements. So finally spider-waffle agreed with a deadline on November 5th.

This long break and lack of progress wasn't for nothing though. Many improvements have been found during this period. Estimated time is down to sub-24. So now we are entering the realms of Blast Pit.
Expect the Time Sheet to be updated at least weekly.

Ending this post with a preview of "We've Got Hostiles":

This is an actual segment from the run. Improvements by pineapple and quadrazid. Performed by quadrazid. The shortest chapter of the game is now cut in half once again with new strategies.

Shooting the scientist to abort his scripted sequence. He will get in panic and flee away from you. Asap when he starts to run away, I block his path. He will calculate a new path, this time towards the door.
Before he gets there I put a grenade between him and the door to blow up asap when the door stars to open. Since the scientist is between me and the grenade, he will block off the explosion from me so I wont take any damage. So the grenades only purpose is to clear the scientist. This all gotta have perfect timing along with good speed in. Because I gotta enter the door-trigger before the door is completely open. If it still moves the trigger wont do anything. If I would be too late, the door would close and im trapped inside. It's a trigger_once so its only usable, guess what, once.
I looked for the optimal spot to shoot scientist in. If I would shoot sooner, his paths would end up wrong. I also used 20 fps to make him turn around faster after fleeing the first time.
I think I spent +3 hours on it. The length is only 5.47 seconds.
Due to the ridiculous timing and precision required I did some scripting to ease it a bit. Since the NPC to open door trick won't work if saving, it also had to be done in one segment.
Cant make it much faster either, because that wouldn't leave enough time for the  grenade to explode. If using nade before shot, you'd have to make scientist 1.0s faster somehow. Since switching weapon takes 0.5s.
This just shows how much dedication you put into this. Keep the good work up, guys, many people still believe in you here Wink
WTF spider-waffles "we got hostiles" cut in half? Amazing improvements. Keep em up!
Svart Lyser Tronen
Ya, it turned out faster than I thought too.

"We've Got Hostiles" history:
think-circle - 2:12
Dopefish - 2:09
RandomEngy - 21.5
Spider-Waffle - 17.59
New - 9.28

Currently we're recalculating the health for three grenade boosts on Blast Pit and On A Rail before we can continue. Blast Pit will show many surprises ;>
Edit history:
coolkid: 2012-11-27 08:33:45 am
half-life 22 happy
Svart Lyser Tronen
Blast Pit, c1a4f, Generator map is done. Another map almost cut in half. Had unexpected problems on this one. Once the buttons is pressed, it takes 12 seconds before the electricity is activated. This is also triggered globally to be usable to the fire later on another map. So it has to be activated before getting onto next map. With optimal demos i could change map after about 11.7s. So I simply had to delay myself .3s, which I fortunately could do at the health charger, getting additional 3 hp. Currently 8 hp above the plan right now.

Time history:
think-circle - 60
Dopefish - 45
RandomEngy - 51
Spider-Waffle - 39.12
New - 21.30

Times: http://goo.gl/6nexm

I'll let you see what the mod looks like while running. Really sweet.
Dang, you just keep cutting SW run's times in half! At this pace it'll be Half-Life 21.