--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
We both like money! Friends?
140 got rejected from ESA Sad

But I recorded my 2nd ever run and got 19:07 Smiley

I lost a LOT of time at the last boss. Thinking logically while being excited about a good time is very hard.... I found that the last boss was better without sound....

Not sure how much more I will speed run this since the ESA motivation is gone and I think I'll be doing Another Perspective and at least Braid for ESA. But I find myself going back to play it a lot.
Grats on the run!  The last boss is deceptively hard and you have to be 100% focused when you reach it.  Easier said than done because you just went through 15+ minutes of pure focus already. 

Looking forward to seeing a sub 19!
We both like money! Friends?
18:29 ... "it's something"

I am still playing this apparently even though it did not make the cut for ESA....
Edit history:
lanbobyonson: 2014-02-11 01:52:13 am
lanbobyonson: 2014-02-11 01:51:50 am
Damn this game is cool. I had it on my steam wishlist but now I see it's full worth the full $5. I could see myself running this, I am planning to do a deathless run already.
Hey lan!  Hope you start running this as well, and good luck on a deathless run!
All aboard the hype train!
Can anyone confirm or deny if this would be a good game to start speedrunning on? I love the game, and I've been really interested in trying to speedrun, but don't know where to start. I feel like this would be fun. Although I'm honestly not expecting anything under 20-25 minutes my first few tries. Gonna look at some of you guys' speedruns/trick and practice a bit.
Quote from keegami:
Can anyone confirm or deny if this would be a good game to start speedrunning on? I love the game, and I've been really interested in trying to speedrun, but don't know where to start.

hey keegami.  the advice I always give when people ask what game they should run is to run a game you love and wouldn't mind playing over and over.  if this is a game you enjoy playing, then go for it!  going from a run with a few deaths to a run with one death to a run with zero deaths is very satisfying.

as for whether or not it's a "good" speedgame - it's definitely not the most complex or interesting.  I say that with no intended disrespect to Kozzii, as I probably wouldn't be able to cut the 14 seconds to tie him in a hundred attempts.  the problem with it is that you can only move at one speed and you can only jump at one height, so there aren't many places to gain time with better movement/platforming.  there are places where it doesn't really matter if you make mistakes because you'll have to wait for a moving platform anyway.

with that said, getting a good run is still very challenging.  the game is very unforgiving with insta-death in a lot of places and a bunch of the tricks Kozzii found have very very tight timing.  if you do end up doing some runs of this, which I hope you do, feel free to pm me (and probably Kozzii) with any questions.
Sounds good! Yeah, I can understand that there's little to no room for improvement. I just want something to "ease" me into the speedrunning community, and getting used to it. Then I might try for a longer and more complex game.
So I'm gonna be streaming some practicing later tonight. Would be appreciated if one or two people showed up. Especially those who can give tips. Speaking of which...is there a soft reset for this game? I can't find one. Have to exit every time a run/practice fails which is kind of annoying. Anyways. I'll be streaming in close to three hours at twitch.tv/keegami
Quote from keegami:
So I'm gonna be streaming some practicing later tonight. Would be appreciated if one or two people showed up. Especially those who can give tips. Speaking of which...is there a soft reset for this game? I can't find one. Have to exit every time a run/practice fails which is kind of annoying. Anyways. I'll be streaming in close to three hours at twitch.tv/keegami

There is no soft rest that I'm aware of.  I'll try to stop by the stream if you're still on when I get home from work.
Alright, cool! I'll likely only stream for an hour or two but we'll see.
Streaming now over at twitch.tv/keegami!
My time was a bit over 31 minutes for my practice run. I just wanted to get a solid number to improve on. I'm very ashamed of that time, but I'll be practicing a lot to improve it!
final boss patterns

Phase 1
Gun: no movement
Enemies: no movement
Strategy: aim at enemies (inward pointed triangles)

Phase 2
Gun: alternates between rotating once clockwise and twice clockwise
Enemies: no movement
Starting Strategy: first enemy will always be at the top and the first gun movement will always be once clockwise, so first input should always be [left].
After that: just keep track of how many rotations are coming up next and account for it in your aim.

Phase 3
Gun: alternates between rotating twice clockwise and once clockwise
Enemies: alternates rotating once clockwise > twice counter-clockwise > once counter-clockwise > twice clockwise
Starting Strategy: assuming you did Phases 1 & 2 perfectly (unsure if deaths screw this up), your first shot will rotate twice and the enemy will be up top (and stay there), so your first input should always be [down]. 

After that:
easier part first - your gun rotating twice will always line up with the enemy rotating twice.  since they are both rotating halfway, it doesn't matter if it's clockwise or counterclockwise.  so, whenever it is time for your gun to rotate twice, aim where the enemy first appears on the screen.  e.g. enemy appears on right, aim right.  enemy will rotate to left and your gun will follow.
more reactionary part, where they both rotate once - just my advice on this one: don't try to keep track of which direction it's going to rotate.  when they begin to move, quickly identify which way they are rotating, deduce where the enemy will end up and aim accordingly.  ("accordingly" being [down] if the enemy is [left], [left] if the enemy is [up], etc.)
24:48.05! New pb. Not fantastic but y'know. A far cry from 31:48
23:22.
I hate that damn part where the squares change sizes. It kills me over and over.
Forgot to log in...Lol. Streaming now if anyone cares to watch. I'm archiving streams from now on, so if you want to watch old ones feel free to.
I bought this game a while back and saw there was some people running it on here..so I thought I would give it a shot and go into the run blindly(Hadn't previously watched any runs or much gameplay footage for that matter.)..big mistake lol. Was not prepared at all for the boss fight at the end of level one, I made the mistake of assuming it was strictly platforming. The more you know! Think I'll probably put some more time into it when I'm feeling a bit more patient, so I'll definitely be watching you guys' runs for some tips and tricks :D.
I hope that this thread doesn't die. I just got sub-20! 19:47! So happy ^_^
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-07-17 10:10:22 am
jymotion: 2014-07-17 09:48:04 am
Quote from keegami:
I hope that this thread doesn't die. I just got sub-20! 19:47! So happy ^_^

these threads aren't going anywhere haha.  people just kinda post when there's something new to say.  congrats on sub-20.

Quote from inerdbriated:
Think I'll probably put some more time into it when I'm feeling a bit more patient, so I'll definitely be watching you guys' runs for some tips and tricks :D.

Nice, good luck to ya.  As I've said before, you can only move at one speed at jump at one height, so there are things you can and can't do, no matter what.  Kozzii did a good job of finding skips I overlooked or didn't think were possible, so give his run a watch.  If he didn't try something, it probably isn't possible (other than the skip he found post-wr).  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Yes!  Feel free to ask questions.  Everything about this game is covered more or less in this thread though.  Good luck with the game!
youtube.com/snomangaming
Hey all, just wanted to say I'm joining the small group of runners here Smiley current best is a 17:11, working on a sub 17. Trying out the level 1 and level 2 skip Kozzii did, and hoping for very good runs in the future. Thanks for being welcoming and awesome people. Will post a good run here sometime soon.
Fucking Weeaboo
This game was a lot of fun, but damn inverted Stage 3 is BRUTAL. Especially Phase 2/3 of the boss fight.

Also funny tip for the expanding blocks section in Stage 3 - if you put on a metronome at 140 BPM, they expand/contract every 8 beats exactly. I actually use an online metronome at that part.
Quote from Sir VG:
This game was a lot of fun, but damn inverted Stage 3 is BRUTAL. Especially Phase 2/3 of the boss fight.

Also funny tip for the expanding blocks section in Stage 3 - if you put on a metronome at 140 BPM, they expand/contract every 8 beats exactly. I actually use an online metronome at that part.

That's actually awesome.  I guess that's the meaning behind the game being called 140.
youtube.com/snomangaming
That is awesome! That just blew my mind. I always wondered why it was called that. I bet you're right!