Sad
1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hi guys and gals

I recently began to speedrun 140 : a game by Jeppe Carlsen lauched on Steam in October 2013.
This is a game based on music and rythm, all is linked to these two elements. It's an excellent platformer but it's quite short. There are three main stages, with boss-type stages in between them.
Once you finished the game, you have access to mirror stages in which you have no checkpoint, if you die, you start all over.

I've been trying to speedrun this game for a week now, and I lowered drastically my number of deaths in a run.
It first took me arround 25mn to finish the game, and now I have a 19:51 PB.

Here are a few links just in case :

Official website : http://game140.com/
Steam : http://store.steampowered.com/app/242820/
Thread title:  
Edit history:
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-12 11:41:20 am
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-12 10:56:54 am
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-12 10:52:13 am
Here is my latest run, improved. So my new PB is 18:35

Edit history:
Kozzii: 2014-01-15 04:35:02 pm
Kozzii: 2014-01-15 04:33:55 pm
Kozzii: 2014-01-15 04:32:58 pm
Good run!  I'm also running this game, I started about a month ago.  I think you, another runner named Jymotion (twitch.tv/jymotion) and I are the only runners out there so far.  I currently hold the WR for Any% (Levels 1-3, no Mirrored) with a time of 17:08.

I'll post a link to the video.  My Steam username is Kozzii if you'd like to race or just talk about the game.  I also stream on twitch at twitch.tv/kozziii

Update!  I ran this a lot today and managed to finally get a deathless run with a time of 16:54. I believe this is the record at the time.

Here's the video:

Really wish there was more love for this game.  Since this game is entirely rhythm based, there are some sections that cannot be improved, but it really shines when it comes to execution.

I'll be making vids of various skips and time saving tricks to post on here.

Starting with a set of precise jumps to save around 7 seconds in level 1

Edit history:
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-18 06:11:28 am
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-18 05:08:22 am
Yeah ! Hi Kozzii
I saw your 17 mn or so PB three days ago, and I wondered why you weren't here. So this is going to be nice.

I knew a few tricks of yours but never managed to do them during a run. Some of them require a pretty tight timing. So, I've been improving a lot, reducing the number of deaths, trying new tricks. I believe stage 1 is the one where you can save a lot of time if you get things right.
Sadly, I couldn't find any tricks in stage 2 that could really save time, unlike stage 1 which is full of them.

Right now, I'm trying to have a deathless run, that's why I haven't published any video of the new tricks. If I add all my current best times for each segment I have a 16:30 RTA, which is pretty cool. So I guess I should get back to it Smiley

I added you on Steam Smiley mine is : [GS] Mauvais Vitrier

I might be streaming here from time to time : http://www.twitch.tv/mauvaisvitrier

EDIT : So much rage right now, I had a perfect run going. With a 4:26 split for the first stage. Then I fucked it up in the third stage. That was horrible...
In the first stage I used the new skip that you showed at the end of your previous video but that you haven't done in your WR. I managed to get it first try, that was excellent.

I'll post the vidoe here anyway, even though I will probably just put the first two stages in it
Grats on getting the lvl1 skip!  It's probably the most difficult in terms of timing.  I'm interested in how you time your runs.  I've been discussing it with Jymotion (another runner) and we were trying to make the timing more SDA approved.  We decided on starting the time the frame that your character appears (at the end of that static animation when the game first starts), since that's the frame when you can start to move.

For reference:

We also both agreed that the end time should be as we were doing it, at the same time the last laser goes out on the final part of the boss (see current run for that).

Let me know if this is good with you.  Currently going with the new start time, it 'saves' about 3.7 seconds, give or take a few hundreths of a second.

Good luck on getting deathless! 
Edit history:
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-18 10:22:50 am
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-18 10:22:38 am
MauvaisVitrier: 2014-01-18 10:22:37 am
Actually when I first ran the game I started the time at the first frame I was able to move. But then, I chose to start it at the very first input, since it is a kind of "Start New Game" and that usually speedruns start at the "Start New Game" input. You can see what I'm trying to explain here, on my 18:35 PB video (above).

I stop the time when the last laser hits the last part of the boss too, because it is the very last input.

It depends on how you see the thing : is it, start and stop the timer when you get and loose control of the 'character' or is it "first/last inputs". In any case, the end of the run remains the same, but it differs regarding the beggining

(I hope I'm clear enough, I'm a bit rusty a the moment)
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-07-07 05:17:19 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-18 12:28:36 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-18 12:28:23 pm
Quote from MauvaisVitrier:
Actually when I first ran the game I started the time at the first frame I was able to move. But then, I chose to start it at the very first input, since it is a kind of "Start New Game" and that usually speedruns start at the "Start New Game" input. You can see what I'm trying to explain here, on my 18:35 PB video (above).

Hey, I'm Jy.  Kozzii and I had originally been starting the timer when we pressed a button/key to start the game.  The issue is that, for whatever reason, the game can take between 0.04-0.29 seconds from that input for the game to actually start.  In that sense, you can go ahead or fall behind based on random lag just for the game to start, which is stupid.

I stop the time when the last laser hits the last part of the boss too, because it is the very last input.
It depends on how you see the thing : is it, start and stop the timer when you get and loose control of the 'character' or is it "first/last inputs". In any case, the end of the run remains the same, but it differs regarding the beggining

well, the final laser isn't really an input, since it just shoots based on a timer, but it's the most easily identifiable frame to end on.

You can start the timer whenever, but the "official" length of your run is from the first frame where your character appears (the frame after the one kozzii posted) to the first frame where your final laser attack appears.  Using those measurements, Kozzii's time is 16:50.27 and mine is currently 16:56.75.

The other issue we encountered is that the time it takes for the orb to enter it's destination can vary by a quarter of a second as well.  We're working on figuring out if that is random or if it can be manipulated.  The game is getting optimized to a point where this could matter.
Hi Jy ! Kozzii told me about all this yeah. I'm up to date Smiley

I'll post my failed attempt here. First two stages : pretty good. 3rd stage: lack of practice, to much resets to get the 1st stage right that I didn't know how to pass stage 3 xD. That's ridiculous

Anyway, here it is : you can hear another streamer talk in my video, I forgot I had a stream up on another tab

Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-01-18 01:14:58 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-18 01:10:22 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-18 01:10:04 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-18 01:10:04 pm
Anyway, here it is

very good worlds 1 and 2, dude.  you can save a second on the first orb in world one by just changing direction in the air (rather than jumping across and back), but well done with the new skip after that.  You can also save fractions of a second on each orb by jumping into them a bit earlier, but those are small optimizations.

I'd suggest you make sure you have the strats down for world 3.  It's not worth it to reset constantly on that world 1 skip if you don't get through the green moving static part of world 3 in one swoop.  I'm sure you're normally much better in w3 than you were in that video, im just sayin.
Quote from jymotion:
Anyway, here it is

very good worlds 1 and 2, dude.  you can save a second on the first orb in world one by just changing direction in the air (rather than jumping across and back), but well done with the new skip after that.  You can also save fractions of a second on each orb by jumping into them a bit earlier, but those are small optimizations.

I'd suggest you make sure you have the strats down for world 3.  It's not worth it to reset constantly on that world 1 skip if you don't get through the green moving static part of world 3 in one swoop.  I'm sure you're normally much better in w3 than you were in that video, im just sayin.
Yeah, that's the worst part. Usually, I find stage 3 pretty easy.. and I recently managed to do a deathless run on that stage 3. So, the only difficult thing is to get an excellent world 1 + its boss (which can be problematic sometimes) and then try to stay focused for the rest of the run.

Anyway, i'll practice again tomorrow and see what I can get out of it. You should upload your runs too Jy btw

About the optimizations, I know this particular run is no good. Since I got the difficult skips, I tried to play it more safe. Usually I reset like all the time because I try to get very optimzed trajectories but sometimes fail to get them. Reseting all the time - since even 1 death mean that you're out, you cannot compete with WR - is pretty anoying, since you have to quit the game and launch it again and again.
Reseting all the time - since even 1 death mean that you're out, you cannot compete with WR - is pretty anoying

Sorry =p

I'm going to be grinding this until i'm too tired and start making too many mistakes tonight.  16:43 or maybe even :42 is possible.
Quote from Kozzii:

congrats, man.  just for the record's sake, you started and ended the timer a tiny bit late, so the official time would be 16:43.16 .  Should be very difficult to beat.
Edit history:
Kozzii: 2014-01-19 01:35:12 pm
Thanks.  I checked it at 0.25x speed on youtube and thought it was started/ended at the right time, but i'll take your word for it.
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-01-21 04:10:18 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-19 02:47:09 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-19 02:46:12 pm
jymotion: 2014-01-19 02:45:48 pm
Quote from Kozzii:
Thanks.  I checked it at 0.25x speed on youtube and thought it was started/ended at the right time, but i'll take your word for it.

I calculated the times by downloading the twitch highlights and just going frame by frame in Media Player Classic.  One of the issues with youtube is that it takes your 60fps recording and makes it 30fps.  Anyway, it may or may not end up mattering.  Just figured I'd mention how I do it, since I may or may not continue running.
16:43.09 or 16:43.16... 0.07 seconds isn't a big deal haha.  Thank you for checking though!
New skip found.  Saves around 6.5 seconds off the current route.

http://www.twitch.tv/kozziiii/c/3582579
Impressive new WR. Congratulations ! and nice new skip, I'll try that when I have more time for me Smiley I'm pretty busing right now
We both like money! Friends?
Hi all!

Man 140 is such a fun game!

I've submitted 140 for ESA. I am horrible at it atm, just been able to do one timed run so far. I hope to improve a lot until then.

Right now I am busy with trying to get Braid WR and also working on the Starbow projcet (not speed run related). But from March or so I'll focus more on 140. Espeically if they accept 140 for ESA 2014. Hopefully I'll be able to give a good run that will be able to show all the nice skips you have found.

I tried the one just before the last boss.... so hard.... Must practice more....
Quote from KanBan85:
Hi all! ...

Hi there, welcome to the tiny 140 community.

I saw your submission in the ESA thread.  I'm glad you enjoy runs of this game enough to offer it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for it being accepted.  I don't think history is in your favor when it comes to people offering games they have never run before.  I ran it for the bonus stream in the past SRG marathon and got a low-19, but it felt like a trainwreck since deaths are so noticeable and the skips aren't too visually impressive (even though they are crazy difficult).  Regardless, good luck to you and feel free to post here with any questions.  (in order to get to that final skip in time, you have to leave the previous room as quickly as possible)
Quote from jymotion:
I ran it for the bonus stream in the past SRG marathon and got a low-19, but it felt like a trainwreck since deaths are so noticeable and the skips aren't too visually impressive (even though they are crazy difficult).

I agree with Jy.

The game isn't as flashy when it comes to tricks and skips as other games. You can only really appreciate most of them if you've played the game before, otherwise it doesn't really look like you did anything special and the chat / viewers might get bored watching (unless you're really good at explaining the tricks beforehand so they know what's coming). Nevertheless, it's a really fun game to run! Short and sweet that can rot your teeth with the tiniest slip =)

I'll be trying to get this submitted for SGDQ, and it would be awesome if that event or ESA picked it.  We can always cross our fingers!
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2014-02-01 02:02:42 am
We both like money! Friends?
Well, ESA are probably going dual stream so they might have room for it regardless. But, yeah. Braid looks a lot more impressive (and I am a lot better at Braid atm...)

Edit: Got the trick on last part of lvl 3 for the first time. Yeah!
Suggested it for SGDQ. I'm sure I didn't hype it up as well as it could have because I'm not the best at that kind of stuff, but I have my hopes up.  Would be pretty cool to get this game known to more than 10 people.