Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Aleksi 'Bablo' Kanerva's warp glitch run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Wizards and Warriors
Level 1 Warp Glitch Speed Run

Verifier warning: I am a lawyer.  I therefore write a lot more than necessary.

Level 1
Love the damage boosting.  Just watching the first minute of this run lets me know the runner has a mastery of the controls of the game (which isn’t all that easy since the jumping mechanics in the game are rather…well, loose I guess is a good word for it).  Grabbing the shield is probably for a bit of damage protection which will likely come into play against the bosses.  It’s  very hard to avoid damage on them…well, for me anyway.

After clearing the red knight, the runner drops all the way down to near the end of the second part of the level.  I used to try to do this and would always get caught on a platform or something.

I really hate the “low energy” music in the game…I guess it’s better than a constant beeping sound effect, but…ugh…

Level 2
The Feather of Feather Fall!  Redundancy at its best, but damn I always hated the jump getting it.  Looks like a small mistake at around 3:18, but the controls in this game will cause issues at times.

I always hated dealing with these bats…but I never knew you could actually kick the bosses with the boots of force.

Level 3
Walking on lava, finding axes, and still collecting gems for no good reason.  Can’t you just stab the red knight and move on?  Jeez…

And now we’re leaping through walls!  …didn’t know you could do that…guess I should have figured though.  Nice landing right at the boss’s door though.

Level 4
I love the rooms where you have to take damage to get what you need.  And by “love” I mean, “hate with a scary passion.”  Gosh there are a lot of hidden gem rooms in this level.  Level’s completed very quickly and nothing really of note otherwise.  Just smooth gameplay as we’ve seen thus far.

I just noticed you gain points for getting hit at times…WTF?

I see in the runner’s comments that using the axe to collect gems in the hidden rooms actually counts as 2 gems rather than if you touch them, you only get 1.  I wonder if that’s a mistake in coding or if that was intended.

Level 5 & 1
The opposite of level 1; we start off by climbing up the inside of a tree.  This level really shows off the problems with the jumping in the game.

And there’s the level 1 glitch.  Warp back to level 1 from here and beat the stage; the game thinks you just beat level 5.  You keep playing through the beginning of the game until you rescue the last damsel and the game ends rather anticlimactically.  I am slightly surprised the game doesn’t graphically glitch out because of this.

Nice quick romp to get the keys and gems and the first boss dies easily.

Level 2 (6)
I feel like I’ve seen this before…except without the glaring mistake Smiley

Bats again…I guess at this point the axe helps with these things.

Level 3 (7)
I think this run through level 3 is a bit faster than the first time, but those bubbles lifting you out of the lava might be completely random.  I haven’t play this game THAT much to have studied it.

And hey look…the game’s over.  Hooray for game breaking glitches! Cheesy  I would love to know how in the world anyone figured out you could do that in level 5, but then again, I’m not surprised.

Audio/Video: The quality of the video is up to par for the site.  No glaring problems in audio either.  I don’t know if this was recorded on a VHS or a DVD, but either way, it’s quite clear, (which would lead me to suspect DVD).

Cheating: No outside forces detected.  Damage taken to the point of near death at times and I did not notice any inconsistencies in gem counts or score.

Overall impression: Nicely done.  This run is very smooth and skillfully done.  There are a few minor things that could possibly be fixed, and as the runner said, the time could be improved with an insane amount of luck.

Decision: Accept.  I’m surprised no one has a speed run of this game on SDA yet.  I would love to see a normal speed run of this game, but the last two levels are not only long, but annoying, and I believe the last level actually requires a small amount of gem grinding by killing enemies, (or, at least that’s how I used to have to play it…).  There is only one glaring mistake I caught in the run along with a few minor ones, but I would not say it degrades the quality of the run to the point of rejecting it.

Quote:
Audio and video are fine.  No desyncing or glitches.

As far as I can tell, no cheating.  That jump through the wall was pretty neat.  Never knew about that.

For a game as random as Wizards & Warriors, this was a very good run.  I can forgive the occasional missed jump seeing as how the controls aren't perfect.  Great jump boosts in the first stage (I know how random and dastardly those infinitely spawning enemies can be).  Boss fights were...okay, but again, they're pretty well completely random, and not dying should be a priority in this game, so staying safe was probably the best bet.

And unless we're adding the time to the end for putting in a name for the high score, I timed it at 13:03.  If that is included, it'd be 13:52.

Overall: very good run of a difficult, random game with only a couple of miscues, but nothing major.  Accept.

Quote:
Congratulations on a very nice run! I remember the controls and hit detection for this game to be absolutely horrible and I am extremely impressed with your mastery of it.  There seemed to be very few mistakes so this will be an easy accept for me.

sound/avi - good
cheating - no
decision - accept

Quote:
Verifier: it's a good run, some minor mistakes, but overall good execution
Verifier: really only suggestion for improvement I have is more kicking the bosses as it's the most damaging attack
Verifier: that's risky though

Decision: Accept

Reason: Nice to have this classic (I guess) on the game list.
Thread title:  
Talk to the Hand
Ah, yes, Wizards and Warriors, best known for its Cloak of Darkness.

For those who don't know, the Cloak of Darkness turns you invisible. No, I didn't say it made you invisible to enemies; it literally turns Kuros invisible so you, the player, can't see him. Now you're saying to yourself "But Emptyeye! How can I possibly tell where to go without being able to see my character?" Well, no problem my friend, you can just follow the huge pack of enemies on the screen, because they can still see you just fine.

In its favor, the Cloak of Darkness, um, plays a cool little tune as long as its activated. So that's nice. I guess.

Also, congrats on getting the run accepted.
The Gaming Lawyer
Quote from Emptyeye:
Ah, yes, Wizards and Warriors, best known for its Cloak of Darkness.

For those who don't know, the Cloak of Darkness turns you invisible. No, I didn't say it made you invisible to enemies; it literally turns Kuros invisible so you, the player, can't see him. Now you're saying to yourself "But Emptyeye! How can I possibly tell where to go without being able to see my character?" Well, no problem my friend, you can just follow the huge pack of enemies on the screen, because they can still see you just fine.

In its favor, the Cloak of Darkness, um, plays a cool little tune as long as its activated. So that's nice. I guess.

Also, congrats on getting the run accepted.

The Cloak of Darkness is the greatest power-up in the history of video games Cheesy  ...exactly for the reasons you stated there.  You turn invisible, can't see your character, but the enemies still zero in on you.  The only positive thing about it is you get the cool music every time you use it.

The game's already glitchy as heck, but to add this completely worthless power up to the mix is just too funny.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-06-28 05:39:51 pm
Master-88
Anyone know
How runner can open treasure chests without keys?  Thats look just easy, but its doesn,t work for me. Did anyone know some explations with this. Nobody not explain with this in TAS page.

BTW awesome run congrats with this Wink

EDIT:
I solved this trouble. Used boots of force open chests without keys. Cheesy Weird i never knew that already.  :-[
Quote from MASTER-88:
Anyone know
How runner can open treasure chests without keys?  Thats look just easy, but its doesn,t work for me. Did anyone know some explations with this. Nobody not explain with this in TAS page.

Go to the game's page on SDA and read the comments?
http://speeddemosarchive.com/WizardsAndWarriors.html
Master-88
Quote from kareshi:
Quote from MASTER-88:
Anyone know

Go to the game's page on SDA and read the comments?
http://speeddemosarchive.com/WizardsAndWarriors.html

I read this comment a today and i also looking TAS glitch page but i was blind and i skip this question. :-[ I see now Bablo told it his comment. I was really blind thats embarrassing :-[

Also i solved it myself too after one hour planning. Tongue Weird i never pointed out that already.