Sad
<- 1  -   of 24 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from honorableJay:
Nope, the game still crashes like crazy. Without access to the community patches I can't run the game  Cry

Can it be accepted as separate category if you play it with a specific unofficial patch ?
The Dork Knight himself.
Nope, there are 2 rules that community patches break. The first being that the game can only be run with official content (unless the unofficial add-on has no bearing on the game itself and only makes the speedrunning process easier). The second being that you have to use whatever version of the game is the fastest. If we didn't know about the game breaking glitches used for kn1ves run then the community patches might get the go-ahead, but the comm patches also fix the game breaking glitches making them slower than the last official patch.
Ok I understand, there is no choice on the game version to use.

Then how did the first runner record his run?
Maybe should you try to use same OS / hardware he ran on.
The Dork Knight himself.
Getting the same exact hardware is pretty hard for me (not enough $$$) and reformatting one of my hard drives to put WinXP back on isn't worth it (Fraps will overall run slower, the game crashes in XP too, just not as much).
Quote from TheVoid:
Ok, I'll upload and comment the stuff soon.

honorableJay: Nice vase usage, but it can be done easier Wink I think Vhatever already mentioned it sometime ago. Well anyway, you'll see it in my video.

Still waiting for your test run  Tongue
Yeah give me a moment please... Grin
I was recently in the process of getting into a new apartment so that was a bit hectic and stuff.
can anyone help me with this game? i started playing it yesterday (again)

is it normal that the third person view is so messed up? everytime i attack somebody with my fists or a baseball bat the game switches into 3rd person view and then im totally lost, because everything is inverted and messed up. cant i just stay in 1st person view while fighting?

how do i get xp? seriously, i need xp to get a better lockpick skill to get into the ocean house... i found one sidequest so far and its too hard because i have to fight a vampire in a warehouse.

im using the latest patch (7.0)
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Its normal for melee weapons to put you in 3rd person view. For EXP, you get some by doing quests. Try using Blood Buff to break into places as it raises your lockpick skill.
The Dork Knight himself.
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/711/711280p1.html  Use that walkthrough for hints and tips. If you're referring to the Asian vampire you have to take down he's pretty easy. Just use Blood Buff and punch the crap out of him (knock him down once, then start the next flurry as he tries to get up = instant death for him).
thanks for your help guys
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2010-07-03 08:28:53 pm
Ok, I've finally uploaded and commented the stuff. Comments are in the spoilers. Expect loads of mistakes in this "run" (Since most parts were captured at the first or second attempt) which I find rather awesome actually, something different for a change Wink

Part 01 - Santa Monica

When you hold jump when you trigger a conversation it immediately jumps to the first option.

Jack conversation:
1, 3, 1, 1

Bum conversation:
2 (Doesn't matter which one you pick here.)

Trip conversation:

Mercurio conversation:
1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Reza conversation:

The jump on the staircase into the level transition should be done in 1 go, of course. It's a little trickier to do than you'd think though.

The hit I got in the beach house part is unnecessary, shouldn't happen. Also, I think you need to jump right away for the enemies to shoot the window instead of waiting a bit for them to destroy it like I did. If you jump they'll more easily shoot the window.

The falldown from the staircase after the level transition can be done quicker (About to hit\touch the ground when the level shows up), I was a bit stuck.

Chose the wrong option for the second Mercurio conversation Tongue

Mercurio conversation:
2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4

Jeanette conversation:
1, 2, 1

A little luck manipulation is required so that no one is in Jeanette's way when she walks to the elevator.

Barman conversation:
3, 3, 1

I'm always a little careful in the elevator, it has this habit of bugging up when you do stuff too fast Tongue
Saving to skip the mumbling voices conversation should be applied here.

Therese conversation:
1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1

A little luck is needed again when you get out of the elevator so that no one is in your way.

Part 02 - Ocean House

A bit of jump mashing on the side required to get over the staircase.

No idea why the game stalled for a moment just before the exit of the building, never happened before. It also happened later on when I got kicked out of the Asylum.

Jeanette conversation:
1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

When you go out of the Asylum you can go back in again while the loading screen didn't fade out yet Smiley

Therese conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

The bar fight should go a bit better. Not necessary to grab a gun as you'll later get two automatically (Tourette and cop in the Museum).
It is possible to grab the phone right away when you get there, I'm not sure what causes it exactly, usually you need to wait a moment.

Jeanette on the phone conversation:

I think it's faster to use the bit longer conversation with Tourette (Also gives you a gun and I believe a bit more XP) because when it's over you'll get kicked out of the Asylum. So no need for the ride with the elevator.

Tourette conversation:
2, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Bertram conversation:
1, 1, 3, 2

Part 03 - Warehouse

It's possible to not get hit at all when arming (And when you've armed) the explosive. No need to crouch for that either. I was just unlucky that he attacked right when I finished arming the explosive.

And then perform the trick Vhatever found with the boost. I'm not sure how much health that eats up though.

Unfortunately no blood can be drained from the bum Smiley

The magical disappearance of Beckett... I'm not sure right now how I did it exactly but I believe I activated the dialog before the dialog got activated.

Beckett conversation:
2, 2, 3, 1

Nines conversation:
1, 3, 1

Part 04 - Elizabeth Dane

I first visit Nines and then LaCroix instead of the other way around like Kn1ves did, saves a little bit of walking.

Black Dude conversation (I have no idea what his name is...):

Nines conversation:
2, 3, 3

Chunk conversation:
1, 2, 1, 2

LaCroix conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2

Heinz conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Stupid doors...

Chunk conversation:
1, 2

LaCroix conversation:
1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 2

Nines conversation (It doesn't matter what you pick here):
1, 1, 1

Part 05 - Grout's Mansion

Pretty funny, in the 1 practise run I did before this recording I didn't get hit once (Didn't get stuck on any of the enemies either), I wish I recorded that one instead Wink

Feed on the enemy in the doorway after going down the round staircase instead of feeding on the guy in Hollywood in the Luckee Star Hotel like I did.

Bach conversation:
1, 1

Chunk conversation:

LaCroix conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3

Part 06 - Museum

Check out my health when I'm lockpicking the door!

Taking a different route through the hallways than Kn1ves did, a bit faster.

Beckett conversation:
1, 2, 2, 2, 3

Chunk conversation:
2, 2

LaCroix conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Part 07 - Hollywood

Isaac conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Love the chair part.

Tape Dude conversation:
1, 2, 1, 4

Isaac conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1

After the first and second tape watch you can turn around quickly a bit and activate the dialog with Isaac a tad faster.

Phone conversation:
1, 1

No need to feed on the guy in the Luckee Star Hotel.
I even missed the first feed attempt, heh, he didn't even notice Wink

I hate those enemies in the internet cafe, and I'm pretty sure everyone does...
Strafewalking seems to be helpful for dodging them.

Isaac conversation:
1, 1, 3

No need to close the door before Andrei Smiley

Part 08 - Andrei

Upping my fighting skills a bit for the fight, and also Bloodshield for the huge falldown later.

Andrei conversation:
1, 1, 1, 2, 2

The Andrei battle... As you can see I can make the fight quite easy Wink If you stand in/near the spot I'm standing every time, he'll usually spawns near and you can attack him right away and thus also prevent him from spawning those little enemies. It does require some luck manipulation though.

Use Trance on the little enemy behind the gate like Kn1ves did, it's an annoying little bugger (Well, they all are...).

Part 09 - Sewers

I used Trance on the big guy to compensate for the little enemy behind the gate after Andrei.

It is possible to not get hit while lockpicking the door, but it's quite luck dependant Smiley

Part 10 - Sewers Maze

Falldown wasn't performed entirely correct, should've fallen through the blades.
Fucked up little enemies... They lost track of me half-way through though.

Part 11 - Gary

Gary conversation:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4, 1

Part 12 - Temple Sequence Break

Did you know that you can lockpick the right door in the little house where you can talk to Ming Xiao with Blood Buff? Smiley Actually odd since you can't use Disciplines in Elysium.

Part 13 - Temple 2

Yes you can open the locked door from the middle Tongue

Finally after quite a bit of testing I figured out that in order to not spawn the extra enemies in the next part, you need to kill the first guy behind the wall. Although I actually didn't check if you really need to kill him, I think just Trancing the guy is enough already, but he does give some extra blood. The second guy is unimportant.

Final Chinatown part.

As for the final part, just drain the 3 enemies in the hallways and grab the statues, make sure that you've got a full blood bar when you're going to face Ming Xiao.
When you're going to fight Ming Xiao, just stand about 2 meters before her so that she does a whip attack but it'll miss you every time, then just spam Bloodstrike and refill with Elder Vitae 2 times. She'll be dead when your blood bar runs out for the third time, the fight takes about 25 seconds.
I didn't check the Ming Xiao, Driver, and Chunk conversations yet, so I'll just leave that up to you Wink
The Dork Knight himself.
Honestly..........I am shocked at how little you really have to fight to complete the game. I thought kn1ves did a really optimized job, but you've shown just how much extra stuff he did that's not even necessary. The burning question though is do you plan on submitting this as an improvement to the existing run? If so, I'd suggest taking a few more shots at the segments to try and tighten things up, but even if you don't there's no reason to reject this.
Quote from honorableJay:
The burning question though is do you plan on submitting this as an improvement to the existing run? If so, I'd suggest taking a few more shots at the segments to try and tighten things up, but even if you don't there's no reason to reject this.

I don't know Undecided I can't do the bunnyhopping which should be done in a couple of places, especially in Hollywood. Sure I could decide to not include bunnyhopping but... I don't know, doesn't feel right to not include something that's actually possible to do.
The Dork Knight himself.
ROFL I finally figured out my crashing issue. Apparently the game doesn't handle widescreen modes properly. So while the engine is designed to support widescreen, something they did with the game makes the engine unstable in widescreen (which the community patches fixed). All I did was uninstall the game, reinstall to a completely different directory and loaded up without applying the widescreen patch. Played the game from beginning until I died (Museum, got melee'd to death while opening the last door) without a single crash or hiccup.

Well, here's an idea that might work. You have a really strong grasp of the game, and your consistency is definitely a lot higher than mine, so why not coop run the game? I'm pretty sure nearly every area you'll do faster that requires manipulating the enemies and running errands, and I'll be able to put the bunnyhopping in where it's appropriate. All that we'd have to do is determine where to save the game and work from there. I'd say your test run is a great place to start with the save points.

I'm assuming you plan on skipping nearly everything except for the main goals (so no money gathering, no weapon pickups, getting pistol from Therese/Jeanette dialogue, etc) and blood packs aren't being used until the major fights (Andrei and Ming).
Quote from honorableJay:
ROFL I finally figured out my crashing issue. Apparently the game doesn't handle widescreen modes properly. So while the engine is designed to support widescreen, something they did with the game makes the engine unstable in widescreen (which the community patches fixed). All I did was uninstall the game, reinstall to a completely different directory and loaded up without applying the widescreen patch. Played the game from beginning until I died (Museum, got melee'd to death while opening the last door) without a single crash or hiccup.

Heh, nice, good that you were able to fix it Smiley

Quote:
Well, here's an idea that might work. You have a really strong grasp of the game, and your consistency is definitely a lot higher than mine, so why not coop run the game? I'm pretty sure nearly every area you'll do faster that requires manipulating the enemies and running errands, and I'll be able to put the bunnyhopping in where it's appropriate. All that we'd have to do is determine where to save the game and work from there. I'd say your test run is a great place to start with the save points.

Yeah a coop run could work. About the saves, I initially wanted to abuse the autosave system, meaning that there will be about 95 segments for the run as the game can autosave after every level transition. Best way to optimise the stuff Smiley

Quote:
I'm assuming you plan on skipping nearly everything except for the main goals (so no money gathering, no weapon pickups, getting pistol from Therese/Jeanette dialogue, etc) and blood packs aren't being used until the major fights (Andrei and Ming).

Yup

But I'm not going to work on this anytime soon though, I have other projects going on and I'm getting a bit low on diskspace because of that Grin So I need to finish some other stuff first (Right now that would be my Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets run, and after that it should actually be the Command & Conquer: Generals runs...). So yeah, will take a while before I'll start on this one.
The Dork Knight himself.
Take your time, I'm in no rush (got some RL things to take care of myself). As for abusing the Auto-save system.........that's not really a good idea since the game doesn't auto-save in the same places. Instead it's based on how long you've been playing before the game will auto-save.

I'll get a few test runs for the first part in the next few days, try to plan it out to cut every corner possible. The main route is easy: Skip tutorial, get lockpick, talk to My-guts-are-on-the-floor, get Astrolite, talk to Mr. Bleed again, save outside Tourettes room. The corner cutting and clean execution are gonna be hell. I could just segment the crap outta each segment but I don't think losing half a second every time is gonna be worth it if I'm only saving a few seconds.
Quote from honorableJay:
As for abusing the Auto-save system.........that's not really a good idea since the game doesn't auto-save in the same places. Instead it's based on how long you've been playing before the game will auto-save.

Yup yup, I found out that if you're in the game (While playing the game, not the main menu and such) for 5 minutes, the game will autosave after the next level transition. So it can be used for every level transition Smiley
Just load the save, fool around/practise for 5 minutes, then load the save and start the attempt and only go through the next level transition when you've got a good attempt going on.
I've just watched your test run, this a nice improvement!
why don't you use the boost found by Vhatever in the wharehouse part ?

do you have any idea of the total time saved compared to the current run ?
Quote from atomicJo:
why don't you use the boost found by Vhatever in the wharehouse part ?

I already recorded that part before he found the boost, so I wasn't aware of it.

Quote:
do you have any idea of the total time saved compared to the current run ?

No idea actually, and I was curious myself so I guess I'll time the stuff Wink
rabble
i went ahead and checked the times. there are a few things worth mentioning about the load screens as well which i will get into.

part1 = 6:07.984
part2 = 6:28.154
part3 = 4:23.713
part4 = 5:37.737
part5 = 6:14.474
part6 = 2:15.969
part7 = 10:44.844
part8 = 1:56.566
part9 = 1:10.003
part10 = 1:47.057
part11 = 2:45.148
part12 = 0:38.222
part13 = 1:04.681
part14 = 3:20.000(based on my time and adjusted for a 25 second fight with ming. could be less than this depending on what is done when getting the statues)

total estimate = 54:34.552

its interesting to see the differences in your route. not needing the jaeg changes things so much. thats one of those things that would have probably been noticed if more than 2 people were active during the first try. looking back now it should be so obvious. made sense when using brujah who had no projectile skill. oh well, live and learn.

you mentioned in your comments for part2 that you can go back into asylum before the load screen ends. i knew about that but i waited because when 2 load screens come close together like that the loading bar blink that i use to edit load screens doesnt appear when the second load starts. there was at least 1 more place where this happened so im not entirely sure how things like that should be handled...

another thing i noticed was that the loading screen after an autosave lingers much longer than a normal loading screen. adds at least 3 seconds to the load screen after the blink. noticed it first in part 9 so its probably there earlier as well(part7 probably since its 10+mins and autosaves come every 5) and definitly in parts after that. i tried to find something else to base the edits on and the best i could come up with was to find the first frame the screen starts to fade and go back about 55 frames. that usually got me close to the blink on a non-autosave load but it isnt consistent.

all this might be a moot point though cuz sda timed my run a bit differently than i did (my time was 58:04, ended up 56:33 on site) and i dont know where they took time away.
The Dork Knight himself.
So, Void has saved roughly 4 minutes off of the official time. If I'm guessing correctly, the most we can squeeze out of his segments would probably be combined total of about another minute, maybe 2 if we're lucky. Not bad savings wise, but I was hoping we could've found something to really shave off a nice chunk of time.
Thanks kn1ves. About 4 minutes? That's actually more than I expected Smiley

Quote from honorableJay:
Not bad savings wise, but I was hoping we could've found something to really shave off a nice chunk of time.

I doubt something can be found to chop off a big amount Undecided You never know, though.
The Dork Knight himself.
I found a nice trick, just not sure how we'd even be able to use it. If you stand on an object that's not static (npc, anything that can be moved around, etc) the game pushes you off. If you're wedged in a corner an can't be moved off of it easily you have a chance to be warped through a wall. Not sure how this can be abused, but ya never know.
I think the best place to use such a trick is Hollywood's cementery where you could directly reach Gary's room
The Dork Knight himself.
If there's something you can grab in the cemetery to use then it could work. The problem is you can't grab something and take it between level changes. I'll take a look around the area but I'm not keeping my hopes up.