List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Jarek 'j.calling.2bad' Hanzelka's Master Survivalist run with level skips

Verifier Responses

Quote:
about the Tomb Raider Underworld run i cant say much because  there is not much to complain about
some small doges which save an irrelevant amout of time (1-3 sec). He skips more then 50% of the game and the parts where he is playing were very well executed, so there is no reason for a rejection

Quote:
Firstly this is a complete rape run, with a combination of skipping over half the game and multiple out-of-bounds and large-scale skips (although there's no death abuse). So it's an out of bounds category run and IMO there should also be a category for runs that use the skip, even if it isn't technically a glitch, considering over half the game is skipped (in pure level terms it's almost literally half, but in practice it's more as the first half of the game is longer than the second). All the tricks are fully legit, there's no cheating or using new game+ type stuff like the relic health boosts, and the segments and equipment use match up.

The runner had concerns about the framerate, but I didn't really notice, maybe it's more blatant in the higher FPS HQ videos, but it didn't compromise watching the actual gameplay at all for me (and a couple of tricks practically require sub-30 FPS anyway). The parts where there is a black screen have a really annoying flicker effect though, it's most noticable in the credits, where it happens throughout and makes them almost unwatchable, before then though it's just occasional moments a couple of seconds long between the gameplay. I see no other quality issues.

There are no major mistakes and it's very smooth, especially as certain tricks are far harder than they look (after trying them myself), also, of the few mistakes that are there, most are almost unavoidable thanks to this games infestation with (un)affectionately dubbed "magic shit" that makes bizzare control and camera (and sometimes other) issues happen that are almost impossible to avert. There are a few tricks the runner didn't use as they only found out about them after doing the run, but they only save about five-six seconds at most (if that).

So, accept, I guess after a fix for that flickering issue, although it would fine as it is if you cut out the credits, which are essentially pointless as they are.

After suggesting level skipping should be a separate category, this is what the verifier said.

Quote:
Yeah, That sounds like a consistent way to categorise it.

Quote:
I've finished the verify today,and here's the comments:

Some general things about the run:

I didn't see deaths,didn't experienced using cheats,didn't find differences in Lara's stuff between the segments.And of course,quality was good.

Looks like the runner doesn't like sprinting(I know it runs out after a time),he prefers swandive and jump. ( Tongue )

About the levels:

Prologue:When the door explodes,you can avoid Lara's fall to the floor.

Mediterranean Sea: - skipped -

Coastal Thailand: - skipped -

The Unnamed Days:No mistakes,except the motorbiking,but we can count it as the 2nd bigest fail in the game engine.

Xibalba:LMFAO!

The Midgard Serpent:When the runner throws the grenade to the mutant spiders,why the runner stopped here?I don't get this.

Land of the Dead: - skipped -

Gate of the Dead:Holy s**t!Awesome tricks!

Valhalla:Umm...why the runner jumped sometimes instead of swandive?Just another weird thing...

Ritual's Old:Same as Valhalla.

Helheim:No offense,I understand why did the runner jumped at the "back of the sea".Really nicely raped.

Yggdrassil:Thrall attack at the end was sad.It's an easily avoidable mistake.

Out of Time:A hard level,but really nicely did.

I think this run is really awesome,with amazing tricks.No problems with the run.Accepted.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This is one of those "wow the guy skipped half the game" runs.
Thread title:  
So I'm pretty happy now :D. But, I must admit I don't fully understand the third verifier. Most of the stuff he points out and complains about is fully explained in comments, except for that "sometimes he jumps instead of swandiving" thing - I don't know how about other players, but for me it was nearly impossible to swandive each and every time I wanted to, because sometimes I didn't press the right buttons just at the right time, resulting in Lara jumping regularly. It doesn't cost time, however, and imo doesn't stand out as that big oddity.
fucking .gif....
some people will complain about anything.

also glad to see this one up too.  I didn't think it would since the TR community shuns this game.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:
He skips more then 50% of the game...

Jesus, those bugs were more extreme than I thought.
Quote:
The parts where there is a black screen have a really annoying flicker effect though

Forgot to say one thing to this - I don't know what could've cause it to the verifier, but there's no flicker effect appearing while I watch the run Undecided
Edit history:
MMAN: 2009-04-03 06:55:32 am
Guess I can "out" now Wink . I just tried the run on another media player and the black screens work perfectly, which is odd as I've never seen issues like that on my normal media player before.

Edit: Apprently it's some sort of codec thing as it's VLC that works fine, while my other players have the issue. So I guess it's a personal issue.
Some people think they can outsmart me.
Wow. I didn't realize how much rape there was in this game. If it wasn't for the controls, I'd go buy it.  I like rape.

I also like the part where Lara keeps smashing spiders rather than placing the stone tablets. The fire jumping glitch was also pretty good, where you manage to make it through the blocked passage in the mansion.

Thanks for the run, j.calling.2bad. It's far less frustrating watching someone play it than having to play it myself.
It's funny that all the TR games are broken...
Hmm, I just started watching the HQ video, and it has an FPS of 100 and a resolution of 320x240 and a bitrate of 929.

Those are some odd settings... Was there any reason for this weird encoding?
I've actually got no idea. I just recorded the whole thing with fraps, put it together in VDubmod and saved it as direct stream copy, and then used anri-chan to encode it. At no point I set anything, so I dunno Undecided