Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Janusz 'jardart' Rosenow's easy run

Quote:
Verifier: got done watching the TRA run
Verifier: it's awesome awesome
Verifier: anyone who hasnt played the pc versions of the new TR games should check this and TRL out
Verifier: that is some fucked up awesome shit
Verifier: im gonna watch it agian to make sure the stats match up
Verifier: there's no deaths, iirc, just a tight ass plan executed excellently
Verifier: he might as well have drawn a straight line to the last QTE and danced across it

Quote:
I've watched this run in its progress on Jardart's youtube channel and I'm glad he has submitted this to SDA.

Video and Audio are fine.  No hiccups from watching the entire run from start to finish.  Shows saving and loading screens each time they're used.  Besides the transition into his old segment at the start of Temple of Qualopec which does show a time difference, every segment before and after syncs up just fine.  Also if you're wondering, he saves at the checkpoints given by the game itself.  So whenever he loads up and he's moved from his original save spot, it's only because he's being moved to the loaded checkpoint location every time.

Mountain Caves:  No mistakes, but I've always wondered if it would have been faster for him to airwalk from a ledge to the right of the entrance of the wolf cave w/ bridge to cross the pit and leave.  Glad he was able to pull off that last airwalk before leaving the stage, it's not easy to perform in 1 attempt and so smoothly.

City of Vilcabamba:  Glad he re-did this along with the following stage.

Lost Valley:  Getting Lara to lower herself under the wooden frame wasn't sloppy, you have to keep at it until she does so.  The same can be said for whenever you need to gain height while airwalking as some surfaces will raise you faster than others.

Tomb of Qualopec:  Even though it's an old segment, it still doesn't disappoint as this was the time he started abusing airwalking to it's advantage.

St. Francis Folly:  This is THE longest level in the game and he brought it down by a ton.  Came really close to death later on, but low health doesn't affect Lara.

Coliseum:  This was clean as hell.  It's runs with such flow like this I dream about.

Palace Midas:  Oh man this was unexpected.  This is where the level name is screwed on his saved data because it's stuck at the last stage he properly entered.

Tomb of Tihocan:  Bosses beaten really fast which I hear isn't so easy.

Temple of Khamoon:  This is different from Palace Midas...he completely skips the next stage (Obelisk of Khamoon) and heads into the one after.  Normally you'd need 4 items from the next stage and bring them to the small obelisk in this stage to open the large doors, he bypasses all of that.  He got unlucky with the 2 shotgun shots on the 2nd atlantis creature however.

Sanctuary of Scion:  Skips a lot of this stage and is really lucky at the end, really nice here.

Natla Mines:  For not having your guns at the start, which would save time, he takes advantage of the available shortcuts which skips a bunch on their own.

The Great Pyramid:  Climbing up the shaft is hard enough sometimes due to the interfering flying creatures.  Awesome that the Doppleganger also airwalks with you.  I wonder if this was something intentional or not.

Final Conflict:  Both bosses went down fast.  The stage itself was smooth.

I love this run, one of my favorites to watch over and over due to it's speed and precision.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Quote:
Here's the small verifying to the TRA run:

Video quality is fine,no cheating.And...uhh,I can't say anything about this run,because this run is a masterpiece!Perfectly done.Accepted.

Quote:
Let's see - the video/audio quality is excellent. There are no signs of cheating.

While I would like to write a lot of stuff to each and every segment of the run, I realized it's not neccessary, since I can describe all of them in few words - excellent, flawless, perfect, amazing, breathtaking, skillful and super fast.

The runner found various spots for airwalk usage that are greatly clever, the grab glitch which he performed pretty fluently at each gate, managed to surprise me with few "little tricks", that turned out to save a lot of time eventually, and frankly ran extremely well through the game. Those couple of boss fights that are there in the game, this runner got over with superior ease and speed. All the routes are perfectly planned and mostly even better performed. And yes, the runner got quite lucky at times as well.

As much as I played this game with all the techniques known, I was often heavily shocked by different tricks that runner pulled off, and if this run can shock and impress someone who knows all the stuff that was already found and even played with them him/herself, I can hardly imagine what kind of emotions will it evoc in someone, who "just" played the game.

This run is highly entertaining from start to finish, and there's not one boring point.

Must accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: A run full of shortcuts, what speedrunning is all about. 8)
Thread title:  
Just wanted to thank the verifiers for taking their precious time and all the pleasant words!  Wink

Quote:
I've always wondered if it would have been faster for him to airwalk from a ledge to the right of the entrance of the wolf cave w/ bridge to cross the pit and leave.

Nice thought, but unfortunately there seems to be no surface that would raise Lara high enough so she could actually reach the platform next to the exit of that cave. And airwalking to the opposite platform, where she would still have to climb the ledges and cross the bridge, would yet be slower than doing a left-roll to get there.
However, I could've used an out of bounds airwalk in the very beginning of the level to get past the entrance of the caves, which would most likely not have been a lot faster than one second though, even when performed very smoothly.

Alright, now there's just one more thing I'm wondering about, will I still be allowed to remove the loading screens for the final version?
Quote from jardart:
Alright, now there's just one more thing I'm wondering about, will I still be allowed to remove the loading screens for the final version?

Yes, but please leave the results screens in so people can see the times.
Ok, so the results for each segment should be kept? Is it enough to keep just those after saving, or would it be better to also add those before loading?
I just meant the results that are shown after you beat each stage so I can time your run. You can remove all of the save and load screens.

I apologize if there was any confusion.
Oh well, I just scrapped the idea of removing all the loading screens, because of their sheer number plus I'm having some serious space problems on my harddrive (which means I can't work with raw files in Vdub and on the other hand, I'm not too comfortable with YAMB when it comes to splitting). Tongue However, leaving the screens in is not actually that bad after all. So I'll just add a StatId, once you've timed the run.
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this probably caused...  Undecided
Some people think they can outsmart me.
I am 3/4 through this run, and just absolutely livid.

Complete. Global. Saturation.
Why? I think the run is hilarious and very good. I had no idea the game was that broken, but I should have known given the series.
I think he means it in a good way Smiley .
sda loyalist
I'm really unhappy about this run. Having tricks that only work under certain framerates smacks of FRAPS modifying the game's physics, an effect also observed in other games. May as well edit the game itself manually to remove invisible walls while you're at it.
The Legend and Underworld runs use framerate changes as well, although mostly unintentional. Also, I'm pretty sure the tricks that needed low FPS were discovered by people with sucky computers who pulled it off without Fraps.
Quote from MMAN:
The Legend and Underworld runs use framerate changes as well, although mostly unintentional. Also, I'm pretty sure the tricks that needed low FPS were discovered by people with sucky computers who pulled it off without Fraps.

I must honestly admit, that I found out the fact you can jump from crouch drop bug while recording with fraps. But that doesn't change anything on that lag is exaggerating a bit.
sda loyalist
Yes, I am exaggerating, but only a bit. Don't you think changing the way the game behaves is a bit suspect? Kibumbi has mentioned cases where using FRAPS makes the game behave differently. I've certainly encountered some while recording Total Annihilation, though it's mostly harmless stuff. This is one can of worms I'd really not like to open.
AjAX's "Cold Fear" run was rejected because he recorded a part at like 200 FPS to make the game run like 2 times faster in order to skip an otherwise necessary fight.
I noticed that too, but wasn't part of that the fact that the runner used a separate program to Fraps just to manipulate that? While these are done within the 1-100 limit of Fraps. Also, in that run it is mentioned that the game runs faster in general at 200FPS, while in these games the speed is the same.
Cold Fear was rejected because using a 200 FPS frame rate caused the game to run faster. The rejection nothing to do with the recording program being different.

These Tomb Raider frame-rate tricks are okay because the game still runs at the same speed.
Edit history:
tycho102: 2009-05-24 11:03:52 am
Either way, that air-walking shit bypassing half the level? And the back-flips up a column?
God DA-MN it. What is the next level up from frustration? Holy hell, this speedrun hurt to watch.

I wish I'd never played this game. I wish I'd never wasted as much time as I did attempting to play this game. I even used a trainer and I hated this game.

I appreciated the speed-run, but I resent it, concurrently.
Edit history:
MMAN: 2009-05-23 06:31:05 pm
Why would a game you hate getting raped anger you? Part of the fun of speedruns is that if it's a game you like, you can enjoy watching its potential being exploited, while if it's a game you dislike you can enjoy seeing it be completely destroyed, so you win either way Wink .
It's because I wasted so much time trying to enjoy it, and gained absolutely nothing. So, to see the tricks that bypass about half that frustration is just highly demotivating.

I played Anniversary up to the volcano climb. I broke out pen and paper, making a list of the necessary combos to advance. I was reduced to just memorizing which way the view would switch and change the necessary control direction. What was left became up, sometimes up and left, and anything else meant a swim in the lava. I think I spent 4 hours and just quit.

The runner has some close calls on that segment, and I've no idea how it was done.
tycho: I wonder why do you even care to post here if you hate this game.

lag: You are right about FRAPS changing game's behaviour, but you would have to forbid FRAPS to make the same conditions for everyone or at least limit the framerate to 30fps or so, which is a bit unfair, because everyone has a different computer.
sda loyalist
I don't have to supply a solution when I point out the problem. :p
a true academic.