List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented 61 Star run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Out of the 25 or so private threads that Flip sent out, I got six of them; and while each game I verified had its unique charm to each of them, there was one game I was looking forward to the most, and was slowly following the process since it first started.  This run is so well executed, that I can't find any flaws in the run outside of the runner taking his time finishing the run.

In fact, I am not even going to talk about the run, since it is pretty much flawless from start to finish.  What more can I say other than accept.  All that we need to do now is to sync this run with the Mario 64 for the greatest update ever!!!!!

Quote:
Flip, my Man:

Mario Galaxy!

No cheating, audio/visual checks out.

On to Star Gets.

So somebody FINALLY completed a Galaxy run.  There have been many people who claimed they would do it, but somebody sacked up and actually did it.  This run is beyond remarkable.  I'm one who believes that Mario 64 is a great watch as each star is awesome to see how the runner will use tricks, jumps and whatever else to get the star in ways I'm sure the developer didn't intend.  Galaxy is no exception.  Some of the star grabs here literally blow your mind.  There could be argument here for a large glitch gravity skips category.  And the more amazing part is these are NOT short segments.  Many times a lesser runner would have saved to preserve their progress, this runner will often get three or four more stars, just to show he has some class.  Segment 13 alone is so beast, Hank McCoy quit his effin' job.  This is easily a candidate for Run of the Year.  Part 15 alone is Segment of the Year for sure.  Needless to say, this is a resounding ACCEPT for me.  This run will be a pleasure for all to watch...

Quote:
A Luigi run, eh? I can handle that.

Segment 1: Pretty much perfect.

Segment 2: Looked like there were a few moments of hesitation during the first star. Third star made me giggle like a girl.  Seriously, leaves are way too solid in video games these days.

Segment 3: This is why I like watching Mario speedruns. There are so many little things you can do in the 3D platformers that make a huge difference.  Luckily, I haven't watched enough to become disenchanted with the magic.  Anyway, great execution through this part.

Segment 4: Good flinging with those sticky things.  They're my least favorite things in the whole game, so you did very well.  Also, the toad brigade actually helped a bit!  Rolling Greens is nuts without doing everything you did, so crazy good job.

Segment 5: A speed run within a speedrun, eh? Pull Star Path didn't seem to go quite as well as it did the first time; however, if time was lost at all, it's negligible.  Damage boosts and other tricks go well through Bowser's level.

Segment 6: Here's what doesn't make sense to me in Beach Bowl Galaxy.  1. The "Sunken Treasure" star is at the highest point on the island.  2. The coach thinks you're a penguin.  3. Spinning in water is a viable swimming method.  Anyway, what just happened with the haunted mansion? How are you in the house?! Eh, well, I'll have to try that out myself sometime.

Segment 7: Fat loomas look way gross and sweaty when they're full.  Also, cosmic Luigi has nothing on this runner's moves. Seriously.

Segment 8: I hate Bubble Breeze Galaxy both for the name and how incredibly tedious it was.  You just fly right through it like nobody's business.  The race with the ghost had a few rough spots with getting stuck, but that race is so incredibly annoying that they're gonna happen.  Also, lemme just say how horribly ugly Baby Bowser is.  It's a shame you can't just hit his face with a shell.

Segment 9: I'm starting to run out of things to say about the run, so maybe I'll make puns about the bad guys. Baron Brr? More like Baron Burn! ...or something.  Honestly, though, Freeze Flame is my favorite, and you destroy it.  Gusty Gardens is my least favorite, but it has the best music, so it's alright.  Way to kill that mole dude.

Segment 10: A bat hit you on the spooky sprint!  Reject! Reject!  ...but seriously, I don't think anyone will reject this run.  Still 6 segments to go.

Segment 11: Thank you for making the second round of Battle Rock entertaining.  No thank you for the second gross, sweaty luma.

Segment 12: No, you're not supposed to be able to do that in this game! You're supposed to burn the snowmen and... Ah, forget it.  Fine, get the star before I can write down how to get it.  Okay, more Gutsy Garden.  Dark Matter Plant blew my mind.  That place is confusing just to play, and watching is... wow.

Segment 13: I hate star bunnies. Thank you for catching them quickly.
Missed a note in the bubble section; quick recovery.  Being a bee in Mario Galaxy is apparently optional.  First star on Toy Time is just amazing.  Seriously.  And this segment was way long.  Good show, chap.

Segment 14: Luigi saves Luigi. The Space-Time Continuum implodes.

Segment 15: I didn't expect awesomeness when I saw the fat luma, but this segment - though short - is amazing.  Great job.

Segment 16: Great last castle.  This story is happy end.

Seriously, this run rocks.  The runner chose stars in segments that were close to each other, and execution was nearly perfect.  If execution were to improve, the runner could save 10 seconds. Maybe. 

Needless to say, I accept.

Now if the racial tensions between lumas of different colors could end, the galaxy would be even happier.

Quote:
No, no, no no, no no no no NO NO. There is no way that ray surfing, especially fast ray surfing and the shortcuts, should look THAT easy. Shocked It may not be 100% obvious to anyone who hasn’t played this game, but anyone who has played it will recognize just how great some of the tricks and skips in this run are.

Okay, time for nitpicking. One little blip at the end of Pull Star Path where it seems like he almost loses it, but doesn’t really lose any time. Seems like another small blip on the last hit on Tarantox, but again, costs maybe a half a second max. A few little hesitations on the secret star in Beach Bowl. One or two hits here and there, and a missed note. No great amounts of time wasted, though. Maybe 2-3 seconds lost on the missed note, a half second on each of the others.

Highlights include the glitch skip in Ghostly Galaxy, Rolling Green, Bubble Breeze, the butt-burning skip in Freezeflame, Matter Splatter Mansion, the switching gravity section in Dark Matter Bowser, the eels, the final Bowser level, and…well…honestly just about everything.

Amazing.

Accept, if it weren’t already obvious.

Quote:
A/V: From segment 9, the segments are in widescreen. Just pointing it out, it seems to make only minor gameplay differences.
Cheating: None

Since gameplay-wise this is a pretty obvious accept, I'm just going to go through and make sure all the segments line up.
Seg 1: Start: 0 stars/0 star bits, End: 1/8
Seg 2: Start: 1/8, End: 4/72
Seg 3: Start: 4/72, End: 9/150
Seg 4: Start: 9/150, End: 13/258
Seg 5: Start: 13/258, End: 16/401
Seg 6: Start: 16/401, End: 21/525
Seg 7: Start: 21/525, End: 24/174
Seg 8: Start: 24/174, End: 28/271
Seg 9: Start: 28/271, End: 34/414
Seg 10: Start: 34/414, End: 37/480
Seg 11: Start: 37/480, End: 40/249
Seg 12: Start: 40/249, End: 46/501
Seg 13: Start: 46/501, End: 58/614
Seg 14: Start: 58/614, End: 59/614
Seg 15: Start: 59/614, End: 60/14
Seg 16: Start: 60/14

All above board, so this is accept of the year! There's only one glaringly obvious mistake and it's in the middle of the longest segment of the run, in a part that's quite tricky to control, especially when playing fast.

I've also got a couple of screenshots that I'll put up shortly - like I said though, half the segments are widescreen, so I just took shots from the 4:3 segments.

Quote:
Audio/Video quality fine (though yeah, it changes to widescreen halfway through), no cheating spotted.

And I don't really have anything else to add. Incredibly obvious Accepts are hard to write for, personally.

Congrats to yoshifan for finishing this! It's been great to see the amazing effort he's put into this, and it'll be awesome to finally have Galaxy up on the site.

Quote:
A/V quality is good, didn't see any cheating.
Timing was done by the runner and posted in the planning thread, quoted below.
Quote from SMG runner (username redacted for anonymity):
Here's the timing I came up with (along with the number of stars in the segment for reference):

Segment 1 - 5:41.875  (10246 frames)  [1 star]
Segment 2 - 9:05.845  (16359)  [3]
Segment 3 - 11:52.679  (21359)  [5]
Segment 4 - 10:32.832  (18966)  [4]
Segment 5 - 9:59.332  (17962)  [3]
Segment 6 - 9:23.730  (16895)  [5]
Segment 7 - 4:31.838  (8147)  [3]
Segment 8 - 8:42.522  (15660)  [4]
Segment 9 - 14:13.353  (25575)  [6]
Segment 10 - 5:22.789  (9674)  [3]
Segment 11 - 6:03.163  (10884)  [3]
Segment 12 - 14:53.926  (26791)  [6]
Segment 13 - 24:50.456  (44669)  [12]
Segment 14 - 1:19.313  (2377)  [1]
Segment 15 - 1:48.909  (3264)  [1]
Segment 16 - 6:42.202  (12054)  [1]

Total - 2:25:04.763  (260882)

I was going to write up detailed comments as per the usual, but I was busy with school and I don't want to hold up the verification process, so here's the short version.

This run is incredibly optimized, incredibly well executed and very entertaining.  The final time probably couldn't get much more than a minute lower than it already is at, and that's assuming a perfect SS run.  I urge everyone to watch this run once it gets posted.  It's awesome, I can't say enough good things about this run.  Congratulations to the runner.

Verdict: ACCEPT!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Stephen 'yoshifan' Chan!
Thread title:  
Weegee Time
Quote:

Run. Post. Now. ...Please?
Ganondorf = Donkey Kong LOOK IT UP!!
Oh cool, gratz Yoshifan, this should be something to look forward to seeing gracing SDA soon ^_^
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from Rakuen:
Quote:

^Seconded!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote from Zyre:
Quote from Rakuen:
Quote:

^Seconded!

I know it takes a few months for a run to be posted, but 3rd...
Obscure games ftw
It's on his Youtube channel if you really want to see it that badly now.
Don't know what to speedrun :(
Congrats. I definitely look forward to seeing all the crazy skips you can do with gravity manipulation.
Quote:

lol wut?

Anyway grats yoshifan :3 I'll be sure to give this another watch when it goes up.
Quote from Paraxade:
Quote:

lol wut?

Anyway grats yoshifan :3 I'll be sure to give this another watch when it goes up.

SMG runner = Super Mario Galaxy runner, I would think. yoshifan did the run so not even close to smg runner, lol.

What's the link to the Youtube channel? Thanks.
Balls jerky
http://www.youtube.com/user/yoshifan28#grid/user/872A3F56C81A2D19
Not a walrus
Quote from scurty:
SMG runner = Super Mario Galaxy runner, I would think. yoshifan did the run so not even close to smg runner, lol.

It's because it's completely obvious who it is so 'anonymity' is silly. </explainjoke>
Weegee Time

Thanks.

I've made it through Segment 6.  Luigi has mad ups.
Edit history:
yoshifan: 2011-10-21 09:37:48 pm
Woohoo! Cheesy  I'd somehow totally forgotten this was verifying, so seeing this made my day.  Thanks everyone!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote from yoshifan:
Woohoo! Cheesy  I'd somehow totally forgotten this was verifying, so seeing this made my day.  Thanks everyone!

Best thing about Yoshifan is that this guy is too modest...  This was a well earned victory for you and will no doubt be one of the best runs on SDA for sure...  I say take your bow and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame...

And then if you might be crazy enough to attempt SMG2, then your fame will come full circle...

Congratulations again Yoshifan...
Weegee Time
Quote from MAS8705:
And then if you might be crazy enough to attempt SMG2, then your fame will come full circle...

Either that, or go for the full 120 stars...
1-Up!
Quote from Paraxade:
Quote:

lol wut?

The verifier did it that way. I usually just use [quote = runner]
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
I'm glad this is finally on SDA. Once again, congratulations on a great run. The amount of time you spent on each segment really shows. I also appreciate your detailed comments.
<(^_^)>
dang, took long enough for this to go up. I gotta set aside some time to watch this through and read the comments.

Congrats yoshifan! thumbsup
Seriously, for a Mario Easter themed update, how were none of the bunnies from either of these games mentioned? The Easter MIPS or the Easter Star Bunny?

Missed opportunities aside, great run.
"Must Kill Moe, Wee!"
been planing to do a 200% speedrun on this game (Mario & Luigi) for a while and trying to have it 2 segments only.

Great run Yoshifan
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Spikestuff:
been planing to do a 200% speedrun on this game (Mario & Luigi) for a while and trying to have it 2 segments only.

Great run Yoshifan

Technically wouldn't it have to be at least 6, given the game is 242 stars and the purple comets don't appear until after Bowser is beaten and the last 2 aren't available until 120 stars + bowser beaten again?
Obscure games ftw
Why segment at all?  Due to being forced to exit the game, you could do it in 1 segment.
Edit history:
yoshifan: 2012-04-11 10:27:20 pm
Sir VG means you'd have to select your file at least 6 times to get 242 stars:
Mario, game start -> beat Bowser and unlock Purple Comets
Mario, -> 120 stars and beat Bowser again
Luigi, game start -> beat Bowser and unlock Purple Comets
Luigi, -> 120 stars and beat Bowser again
Mario, 121st star
Luigi, 121st star

Though yes, there's nothing stopping you from doing all this in a single recording session, if you had the stamina/free time for it. >_>  It could take like 13 hours though (I think TheOnlyOne got around 6 and a half for Mario 120 star).

Also, thanks guys!  Really glad to have the run up at last. Smiley

There's one thing I'm curious about though - how were the segments timed?  I see there's about a 19 second difference between my timing method (2:25:04) and the timing method used for the SDA time (2:25:23).  So I guess the SDA timing is about a second different on either the start or the end of each segment.  My timing method for each segment was gaining control of Luigi (when I make him start running) to clicking "Yes" on the save prompt (when the button turns blue-ish; it's easy to see this when viewed frame-by-frame).