List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioLostLevels.html

Brandon 'Grimslade' Coker's Luigi run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Having watched the run a few times now it's time to write down my comments.

My thoughts on levels I had special thoughts about:

1-1: It's possible to jump over the piranha plant by first landing on the edge of the pipe. I confirmed by doing this on my SNES. However, Luigi is actually kinda clumsy and it's not very consistent. Moreover it really isn't that big a deal, it just caught my eye.

1-2: The block jumping looks good. Overall nice execution for the whole level.

4-1: Nice jump at the end.

4-4: Definetely looks like he could've run under Bowser's first jump, but I guess that very close call with that fireball got him cautious. Which is understandable.

5-1: The TAS has Luigi jump from a turtle to get on top of the wall without wasting any time, but I don't know how doable that is on console, neither do I know if it's possible on the All-Stars version. I find it weird the author didn't mention anything about this in his comments.

5-2: I kinda liked that jump on the vine block.

8-1: Slowed down before hammer bros, but for obvious reasons.

8-4: Too bad he missed the first jump to the pipe. Other than that, the level was played very well.

B-2: This water level doesn't look very pleasing, but my guess is the fish that made him slow down are random. Not too much time spent anyway, and water levels are generally annoying.

D-2: The first stair jumps where he bumped against wall. I'm actually positively surprised he made it this far without screwing them up.

D-3: I can see why he decided to play it safe against hammer bros the way he did. Can't argue against. Unless there was a mushroom earlier he could've wasted here. There were some mistakes in this level, but nothing too serious.

Generally good execution everywhere, and props for running A-D levels as well. There is room for improvement with more risky tricks, but it's a good speedrun nevertheless.

Accept.

Quote:
So, someone finally decided to obsolete my old run of this game! Took long enough. :p I timed this run at 16:38 (frame 1043 to 60917), a 47 second improvement. Most of the improvement comes from not dying.

Video quality is fine, better than the existing run. Audio is fine too.

Now for an unnecessarily detailed comparison between this run and my old one, since I'm curious:

1-1: This level is almost exactly the same. (cumulative total realtime improvement: 0s)

1-2: Some real nice play here leads to this level being completed 13 in-game time units faster than my old run. (4.9s)

4-1: A nice jump near the end saves 1 time unit (5.3s)

4-2: A small mistake costs 1 time unit. (4.6s)

4-3: Same as the old run. (4.6s)

4-4: The new run loses a moment due to being more cautious at the beginning, but then catches up and pulls ahead due to a couple of small improvements later in the level. Unfortunately, bad luck with Bowser's movement ends up making this run 4 time units slower than the old one. (2.6s)

5-1: Running into a block costs 1 time. (2.1s)

5-2: Caution at the start and slower vine grabbing costs 5 time. (-0.1s)

8-1: Caution at the start costs time. There are various differences throughout the level, but overall they're about the same speed. The new run is 3 time units slower due to the beginning, but doesn't get fireworks, so it ends up being faster. (1.5s)

8-2: The new run is slower at grabbing the vine, and completes the level 2 time units behind. However, the new run also doesn't die here, making it much faster. (21.9s)

8-3: This run hits the invisible blocks faster, but then waits around on the scales near the end (more of this "caution" nonsense :p), causing it to finish 1 time unit behind. (21.5s)

8-4: Caution at the start and missing a jump to a pipe later in the level cost significant time. Bowser luck was the same. The new run is 16 slower. (15.1s)

A-1: Not messing up a certain jump near the start makes this level 3 faster than the old run. Additionally, not dying horribly at the very end of the level saves tons of time. (52.2s)

A-2: Less than 1 time unit slower. (52.1s)

B-1: Interestingly, the more cautious route at the end here costs a negligible amount of time, and the level is finished at the same in-game time. Doing this the more daring way (as in my old run) is one of the most difficult things in the game, so anyone trying to improve this run should probably take the cautious route here. (52.1s)

B-2: Ah, fishies. Random random fishies. The new run is 10 time units faster than the old, even though it takes a more cautious route at the end. Unlike the other places where this runner chose caution, I didn't think this spot was particularly dangerous, but it has been long enough since I did my run that I could be forgetting something. (55.9s)

B-3: The new run picks up a mushroom here, and thus is 13 time units slower. (49.7s)

B-4: The new run gains time from not missing a jump near the beginning, and then throws away that time by inexplicably taking a slower route through a very easy section of the level. Really, I have no idea why the runner did this. (49.5s)

D-1: This level is 4 time units slower, due to the runner's continued insistence on using this "caution" nonsense. (This is also what that mushroom was for.) What, a ~50% chance to die unavoidably on one of the last levels isn't good enough for you? Wink (47.5s)

D-2: The new run messes up on the stairs and on the last jump, which is unfortunate since this is such an easy level. 5 time units slower. Also, the new run doesn't do the fancy run-off-the-ledge-and-land-on-the-koopa that my run does, which (even though it doesn't cost any time) is disappointing to me since it's both showy and easier to pull off than the more obvious jump that this run uses. (45.6s)

D-3: This run is slow at getting past hammer bros #3 and #4, and it doesn't even try to kick the koopa shell into hammer bro #5, instead taking the slower route of hitting the invisible block and jumping over. Did the runner even watch my run? 16 time units slower. (39.7s)

D-4: The new run is a bit slower getting into the tunnel after the flying fish part, slows down unnecessarily to get past a flying blooper (the method I demonstrated in my old run is easy and doesn't require any slowing down), and stops near the end to avoid a fireball (I think this was unnecessary, but it would have been close). Bowser luck is again the same. Overall, it's 8 time units slower, but again that silly "not dying" thing leads to the new run being faster. (46.9s)

Verdict: Reject, because "caution" and "not dying" are for scrubs and my old run would totally have been faster if I hadn't died.

(Kidding. Definite accept: it's played quite well and is faster than the existing run. It was very entertaining to watch, even if I do have quibbles with some of the minor route decisions.)

Quote:
This run was pretty cool, I enjoyed it. There were many spots which are improvable though. The run itself is played with much caution. Most actions/routes seem to be based on the safest methods possible, while still being pretty fast at the same time.

There were a few spots of what I thought to be unnecessary caution. For example, in 1-2, after going down the 1st pipe, with Luigi it is possible to make a full jump over the pipe with the pirahna emerging (jumping from the 1st pipe to the platform after the second pipe) without slowing down.

In level 5-1, it is faster to bounce upwards off the turtles onto the high wall, with some practice, it can be done pretty consistently esp. with Luigi.

Level 8-4 is a bit tricky to get the start correct and I can see why you wouldn't attempt it. Though it would have saved ~4 seconds.

World D was a bit rough, but definitely acceptable. I think getting a mushroom in level B-3 was a good idea, I feel like with the amount of caution used in D-3, you should have tried to get another mushroom, but you played well given the difficulty.

This is a good run, but I think there are 25+ seconds of improvement with a less cautious run. But overall, I mean there weren't any deaths and all the levels were played MUCH faster than the average player.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the current run, and maybe Master-88 will stop complaining about this run. Wink
Thread title:  
Master-88
Let see.

Previous run was extremely cool expect deaths. I didn,t like see deaths which make 40 seconds time lost like last time. Overall previous runner spend time with deaths 1 minute. So optimize time might be 1 minute better. But i understand previous runner was girl. Girls can,t run like boys Grin it is fact IMO.

Previous run was "death no assist speedrun". No death run is always cooler. Expect addams family, i loved death run more than no death run.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from MASTER-88:
Let see.

Previous run was extremely cool expect deaths. I didn,t like see deaths which make 40 seconds time lost like last time. Overall previous runner spend time with deaths 1 minute. So optimize time might be 1 minute better. But i understand previous runner was girl. Girls can,t run like boys Grin it is fact IMO.

Previous run was "death no assist speedrun". No death run is always cooler. Expect addams family, i loved death run more than no death run.

It's more the fact that guys dominate the speedrunning population like 100/1... actually probably even more than that.

Looking at this run a bit more, I'm fairly certain a time of under 16 minutes would be possible, but VERY difficult. I was the third verifier BTW.
Sleeping Terror
Quote from MASTER-88:
But i understand previous runner was girl. Girls can,t run like boys Grin it is fact IMO.

Fuck off, asshole.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from MASTER-88:
But i understand previous runner was girl. Girls can,t run like boys Grin it is fact IMO.

There is a Donkey Kong Country 2 run in process that proves otherwise.
Sleeping Terror
Plus there were multiple boys saying "oh I'm gonna make a great run of that game" when I was doing my Lost Levels run, and I was the only one who actually MADE a run. I did stop running before I was really satisfied with the run due to MetalSmasher convincing me that I wasn't good enough, but even so my run took years to be obsoleted.

(For those who missed the original drama: MetalSmasher was posting really fast times, constantly staying ahead of me, always acting like it was easy... really did a number on my self-confidence, especially since I'd never been good at 2D Marios and deliberately chose Lost Levels to challenge myself. I eventually found out that he was trying to pass off TASs as unassisted runs.)
DS Dictator
Quote:
There is a Donkey Kong Country 2 run in process that proves otherwise

And there is a Super Metroid 100% run that hasn't been obsoleted for nearly 6 years.

*Girl gamers do not suck IMO*.
Master-88
Quote from Greenalink:
Quote:
There is a Donkey Kong Country 2 run in process that proves otherwise

And there is a Super Metroid 100% run that hasn't been obsoleted for nearly 6 years.

*Girl gamers do not suck IMO*.

Girls runners are sexy. Grin

But i can,t got girls seriously. Some weird reasons.
Super Metroid run is awesome, but hotarubi not are posted his own one. He are got beat it 5 minutes faster and single segment.
welcome to the machine
Quote from MASTER-88:
it is fact IMO.

^5
contraddicted
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote from MASTER-88:
it is fact IMO.

^5

I ^5, too!

Quote:
Girls runners are sexy. Grin

I guess this is as true as them being worse than guys. It might be true on a per case basis, but likely not for the entire group of people.
But it definitely will go wrong rather soon if you try to use deductive reasoning to decide about single cases Grin
Back in the game!
Quote from StrangenessDSS:
Quote from MASTER-88:

Fuck off, asshole.

LMAO

Fact of the matter is, as a general statement, Master-88 is right.  Growing up for the most of us, gaming was more socially acceptable for boys than girls.  As a result, (most) girls have to work much harder to develop the reaction times and finger dexterity that most of us males have been working at since we were 3 years old or so.

That being said, any female who takes this fact and says fuck you is awesome!
Sea of Green
Quote from UltimateDarius:
Fact of the matter is, as a general statement, Master-88 is right.  Growing up for the most of us, gaming was more socially acceptable for boys than girls.  As a result, (most) girls have to work much harder to develop the reaction times and finger dexterity that most of us males have been working at since we were 3 years old or so.

And some of us girls have ALSO been gaming since we were three years old, developing both good reaction times and finger dexterity. Since there's no fundamental difference between boys and girls when it comes to innate gaming skill, why is this even being brought up again? *sigh*

I'm a little surprised by this attitude toward girls who are frequenting not a casual gaming forum, but a SPEEDRUNNING forum. If girls are here there's obviously an interest and a reason deeper than 'teehee I love Bejeweled'. Not only do we like more 'serious' games, but we're also enjoying and / or planning speedruns as well...
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Are we really doing this?

To the apparently sexist comments: just change the principle from boys are "better" to "more numerous as of now" and let's move on.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Are we really doing this?

To the apparently sexist comments: just change the principle from boys are "better" to "more numerous as of now" and let's move on.

This.

Please people, let's just end this here and now.
0-10
Quote from MercuryZelda:
I'm a little surprised by this attitude toward girls who are frequenting not a casual gaming forum, but a SPEEDRUNNING forum.

Hey, don't lump us all in. Not all of us are assholes and bigots.

Quote from TheQuietMan:

Tell that to UD who did a 36 day bump.
Sea of Green
Not lumping you all in--just saying 'this attitude' in general. Believe me, I like pretty much everyone I've talked with on here and was surprised to see this subject brought back after a month of inactivity.

I'm perfectly willing to let this thread go. I wasn't looking for a fight in the first place; I just wanted to point out that the girls who are here know what we're talking about when it comes to speedruns.
Battle of the sexes? I haven't done that since elementary school =\
contraddicted
*casts exit on the debate*

There wouldn't have been any experience to gain from this anyway.
Back in the game!
Quote from Lenophis:
Quote from MercuryZelda:
I'm a little surprised by this attitude toward girls who are frequenting not a casual gaming forum, but a SPEEDRUNNING forum.

Hey, don't lump us all in. Not all of us are assholes and bigots.

Quote from TheQuietMan:

Tell that to UD who did a 36 day bump.

Hey hey, not my fault that I've been so busy as to not have the opportunity to come across this and respond in a timely fashion.

I also said "MOST."  I am  completely not sexist when it comes to this subject.  Quite the opposite, any girl who possesses some actual skill is a turn on.
Cigar Man
I thought MercuryZelda was a dude...lol!
sda loyalist
Quote from UltimateDarius:
Quite the opposite, any girl who possesses some actual skill is a turn on.

gahahaha maybe you ought to look up sexism
a lot of white knights up in here...

this happens a lot and the girls won't change it, the same way programming is completely dominated by males, i have a female friend who complains she isn't taken seriously at her job because she's a girl.

it doesn't help the guys that are there are pretty nerdy and hold slight bitter emotions towards females in general, i'm sure it's the same way here generally.

that said, when the hell is this run gonna finally be up??
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Me and the tattered remains of my fighting game dignity lain barren by an inhuman witch masquerading as my girlfriend say the guys in this thread need to move on past their elementary school drinking fountain wars mentality and grow up, before they suffer the same fate I did.