Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/KnightsOfTheOldRepublic2.html

Pete 'Thinkshooter' Howard's Light side run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: jewyama: KotOR2 verification done
Verifier: the run is very nice, I especially like the various clever glitches and cuts found by the runner
Verifier: not to mention the superb wreckage made out of the scripted events in the game
Verifier: the execution is done well too
Verifier: there are a few places where the travel path is somewhat weird and a second could be cut off, but those are rather insignificant
Verifier: so all in all, it's an accept if you ask me

Quote:
Okay, I'm done verifying, sorry it took so long.

This run is probably the best I've watched in quite a while, in terms of overall quality, and the completion time reflects this, the run is barely half as long as the current dark side run. I can tell the runner has put a lot of work into making it as good as possible; the planning feels solid, and the execution is flawless, I can't really recall seeing any notable mistakes anywhere in the run, that's how good it is.

There's no consistency errors/cheating from what I can tell, and the video quality is very watchable.

A no-brainer accept in my book.

Quote:
* Found no unadvertised segmentation or discrepancies between segments, although I couldn't check inventories completely (when items are picked up, only the first few are visible).

* I did consider the strategy for the previous run to be quite suboptimal, but this run nocks 46% off the previous time! Bloody hell!

* Nice touches:
- Excellent force jump usage
- No exploit leveling
- Using solo mode to send party  members to different locations, so the player can teleport back and forth, or party members can engage in a fight while the player is running
- Casting force speed etc while waiting for doors to open
- Levelling up is postponed to times where the player almost runs out of hit points (levelling up heals you). (Especially nice example: at 14:28 medpacks are used even though KDQ can level up, because the inventory has to be opened anyway - the levelling trick is subsequently used at 15:10)
- Very efficient at running through most encounters

* Questions:
- I'm sure the runner uses many tricks that I didn't appreciate. It would really enhance the experience if more in-depth comments were provided. Perhaps even an audio commentary?
- Could doing more dark side stuff help improve the time? E.g., would helping Czerka rather than the Ithorians have been faster?
- Why no dual wielding or a 2H weapon?

* Conclusion:
Judging from the acknowledgements for Thinkshooter's KotOR I run, it seems we have Jesus to thank for another very high quality run. I must say I am hard pressed to find fault with it that deserves mentioning. The run knocks 46% off the previous best time. Although the game does not require complex strategy, if you watch carefully you'll see signs of very careful planning every step of the way. I couldn't detect any signs of cheating. Definitely accept this run.

Quote:
I'll keep this brief:

Damn.

Made less brief:

Damn good run.

Even less brief:

Audio/Video: Top notch, only issue I had personally was that I couldn't see the cursor, so I was having to guess what was going on in the menus. Otherwise absolutely fine.

Cheating: None that I could see, but with a game of this complexity, it wouldn't be difficult to spot. Really though, I seriously doubt there's anything dodgy going on. Just a couple of things happened so fast I had to rewatch a couple of times to figure out what happened. And that's a good thing.

Play Quality: Really damn good. A lot of preparation went into this and it shows. The menu navigation is quick, pretty much every skippable battle is skipped, and the conversations are done at lightning pace. Really impressive stuff. But on close analysis, some of it seems a little... sloppy. Not to any major extent, just small things. The force jump, for example, used extensively to speed the path through Dxun... it just seemed that there were a couple of opportunities to use it more on Dxun that were missed, and it struck me that the same could have been done in the throne room on Onderon. I could be completely wrong, but I'm really just looking for any flaws here, and this alone, if relevant, could offset the quicksave penalty (which I assume applies in this run).

Despite that long paragraph on the play quality, this run is really top notch, and its a huge improvement over the previous run. If my assumptions on timing are correct (starts with first control over T3, finishes with last dialogue option selected, everything between the two in the videos is relevant runtime, plus 27 seconds for 54 saves), then the run comes to 1:56:50, give or take a few seconds. That alone qualifies it for a big ol' accept on my part, the high standard of play just solidifies it, frankly.

Also, it's pretty awesome to see 9 stat boosts stacked like that.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Screw the Force, Thinkshooter knows the glitches!
Thread title:  
Congratulayions to the runner. I've missed the series, but heard good things about it, and if most of the verifiers couldn't even follow what the runner was doing and give so much praise, this run must be pretty amazing to watch. Can't wait.
Congratulations Thinkshooter!
Runs: FCP, FC3, XWA, HD1-2, KotOR1-2
Thanks guys Smiley
Edit history:
Thinkshooter: 2010-07-21 06:55:27 pm
Runs: FCP, FC3, XWA, HD1-2, KotOR1-2
Now that the run is out I'll respond to the questions / issues raised.

First of all thanks for the good feedback & the verifiers' work!

- Travel path. The overall route choices should be fairly optimal (Dantooine raised some interesting dilemmas), but the execution is not perfect. Since no actual event was pointed out, I assume some of the travel path oddities might have been actual mistakes and some intentional (& the verifier could have missed the reasons for them).

- I didn't find dark side choices (other than the one on Telos) that would have speeded up the run. In Dan's game guide, helping Czerka requires more steps than the Ithorians so I was confident that would be slower and didn't even try it.
You also need to factor in that with each dark side point instead of light, Light Side Mastery (+3 Strength) is delayed.

- Why no dual or 2-handed lightsaber? Dual weapon wielding has serious to-hit penalty at the start of the game, and would even out by the end of the game. Single weapon starts with no advantage or disadvantage, and ends with a 2 or 3-point advantage in to-hit. Bottom line, with two swords or a Darth Maul-style weapon you deal more damage but miss more. With dueling (single weapon) you're more likely to hit but the damage is less. Since in KotOR II the enemies are harder to hit, I found dueling worked a lot better.

- Force jump requires direct line of sight to the target. Dxun is the worst planet from force jump perspective. The jungle paths are curved and the path floors are rounded, constantly obscuring force jump targets. When I hit the jump key without a 100% straight jump path, K2DQ would start to walk slowly towards the target instead of jumping. With that take was blown and I had to start over.
If you take a careful look at the throne room, the targets are fighting *behind* the royalist soldiers, so there's no direct line of sight. (See attached frame; the friendly Royalist Heavy Soldier blocks line of sight to the enemy in front of him.)

The run is not 100% perfect and that's intentional, in a sense Smiley With all the randomness in this game, 100% perfecting a run could have taken years I didn't have. Speedruns are my hobby, not my life Smiley