1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page:

Mike ‘mike89’ McKenzie and Emma ‘Flying Fox’ Leatt's 2-player single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Gonna have to say "nay" to this.

Between skipping several notable tricks and several little hang-ups here and there, I have to reluctantly vote to reject this. One of the things that bugged me the most was Tails not being as active as he could've been. He's used when he saves a lot of time, and they know their stuff about how he returns, but in instances where it could've saved a little time (for example, bosses), he mostly just stands around doing nothing. A lot of tricks he just seems to take his sweet time in setting up. Others he just seems to plain ignore, like the Ice Cap Act 2 skip, or Mushroom Hill Act 2 early start. Some of these were mentioned, and in the comments he states that they were left out for "the sake of consistency", though IMO it feels more like a bit of a weak excuse (he said he had only a month to get this run done) - especially since they mention their existence, and even do the Angel Island 1 early start. Why not at least...try some of them?

Let's talk about the general gameplay. It's good for the most part, but the screw-ups that are there are very cringe-inducing. Marble Garden Act 2's boss just looks horrible. Things start to take a turn for the finicky at Sandopolis. I'm not entirely convinced the route chosen in Act 2 was the fastest (there's vertical screenwrap glitches here). Besides those notable incidents, there's quite a few little mistakes that add up over time.

The line was Lava Reef. This trainwreck of a zone started off with a miscomminication on the elevator lifts. Then there was a go through walls trick, using Tails' ability to ignore clipping when slightly off-screen. This just looked bad. The boss of Act 1 could've been done a little better. Then Act 2 rolls around, and that's where everything just goes to hell. There's a nasty mistake which costs like 15-20 seconds. There's also a trick to skip the boss, which ends up taking way, way too long to be done for my tastes.

No one likes to be the bad guy, but even if we ignore the tricks which aren't used despite being mentioned, there are just one too many ugly, ugly warts in the run for my liking. That's the keyword here: ugly (a slightly slower run with less glaring mistakes would be better). Though I will say this: it's close. We're definitely in the realm of reject, but just a little more time saved or in a little less ugly fashion should do the trick.

Quote:
First I'd like to apologize for my evaluation to be submitted after such a long time after acceptance to verify this run.  This run was kind of a toss up for me, but I do have a definitive answer at the bottom of this message.

It actually wasn't easy for me to come up with a response right away and I ended up watching the run 3 times because of my indecision.  There are other factors that affected my judgement, but overall I had to hurry up and make a choice as this is probably the last response needed to move this run forward.

-No cheating was found
-Sound was good
-Video ran without problems

Angel Island:

Small mistake at the end of Act 1 with Tails miss timing the last hit.  I didn't notice if it was a neccessity, but it is since Sonic is positioned underneath and would have taken a hit by the fire.  Sonic could have taken the overhead approach, but that would have been a little slower and Tails can't hit it from underneath due to the small jets of flame coming off of the boss.  Act 1 was a little sloppy and could have had a reset, but if they're like me, fuck that shit if the rest of the run looks damn good.

Act 2 has some small mistakes early on.  Coming off of the two consecutive loops, could have jumped off the ramp at the end and land on the cliff to the right without needing the spring.  Don't know why Sonic kept the lightning shield approaching the boss area, but eh.  Good that Tails was already in position for the capsule to be unlocked.  That spindash before the drop didn't hurt the run in anyway as far as I know as you don't begin to fall until all of the bridge is gone (you can see Tails doesn't fall immediately even though the center is taken out first).  Still, I wouldn't fuck around like that >_____>.

Hydrocity:

Nice shortcut at the start of Act 1.  Sonic basically taking the route he'd normally take alone, but really, I can't think of anything Tails could help Sonic out with.  There's a glitch in here with Tails to basically traverse the upper borders of this act to reach the end faster.  I'm not sure if it'll work if Tails is carrying Sonic and I'm not going to pretend I do know.  Nice sub boss finish as Tails had to save Sonic's ass at the last sec.

We have our first and only death, but it's intentional (with a glimpse of scrambled Tails during the fade-out).  Sorry but, Tails was of no use, but zips will make anyone useless if they tried to keep up.  Tails COULD'VE gotten to the capsule first...just saying >_>.  Pretty good overall even thought that zip is an ass to pull off, went off without a hitch.

Marble Garden:

I think Sonic could have revved up a spindash and jumped up to the first shortcut with Tails on stand-by in the air just in case.  The Alternative seemed to be about the same time, if not a little slower.  With the 2nd jump to get out of the tunnel, Sonic could have gotten up there himself, but teamwork matters!  More zips, but this is early Sonic in 2010, it's expected.  Slight mess up near the sub boss of Act 1, getting nervous already...holy shit >_<.

IMO, I would have let the sign fall and avoided the fire shield for the start of Act 2.  Stage being none too generous on allowing Sonic to run up it's grossly slanted hills, but that's what happens when attempting something none too accessible.  ZIPS.  Boss was very much sloppy.  Seemed like it was some flailing around trying to get hits in when the strategy fell apart.  Didn't take too long to recover and Tails once again saves Sonic....only to be rewarding by being stuck in that shitty pose as Sonic leaves him for Carnival Night.

Carnival Night:

The start of Act 1 has a pretty bizarre setup for a zip to reach the end, but Sonic avoids this and moves on with the alternate route of time attacking.  I can understand the ommission of this zip as it's somewhat unreliable (I've tried this myself and I couldn't perform it for the life of me).  Pretty damn good without any errors and end Act 1 ducking.  I think this is a trademark of this Sonic in particular, but I also think it wastes some time for the sign to land.  This is the only location where you're allowed to look down and move the screen which cause the sign to all through the floor and land somewhere near the bottom of the screen.  Looking back up as it falls would have fared better.

Act 2 has two zips...and Sonic refuses to partake in either of its sweet and gooey centers.  First one being about 1/4 into the Act with the use of a bubble shield and a drum, one would simply wedge themselves in-between the drum and wall to zip to about 3/4 into the stage.  Which takes them to the second zip which can be time consuming.  Both are supremely benefitial, but where both are simply a game of chance, one will outright kill you.  IMO, I would have still opted the time to sample the second zip until completion as it will take you to the second encounter of Knuckles.  Poor Sonic having so much trouble with these recent bosses.  The pressure must be becoming an issue and he's losing focus forcing Tails to save him once more from an embarrassing performance.

Ice Cap:

Hmmmmm....is not a way to start off a sentence, but I see they denied the use of a huge shortcut.  That certainly would have been a spectacular highlight of the run.  Still, I can understand the decision as you'll likely get stuck attempting it.  Nice use of the lightning shield to speed things up.  Act 1 boss posed an issue and once again, Tails had to bail out Sonic for his incompetence.

Act 2 wasn't skipped so here we go.  Really smooth by Sonic with Tails struggling behind.  End boss went as planned it seems.

Launch Base:

Zips already as Act 1 starts off in this clustered zone.  That takes them straight to Knuckles Act 1 boss which isn't the same.  Explained in the author's comments already, both bots do not need to be defeated.  Death at the end, but it wasn't avoidable.  They had to get out of that area somehow though...

Act 2 starts off with a flub.  Sonic starts off once more and comes to a halt by a quarter pipe.  Let's hope for no more of those odd occurances, but you can't be too sure.  This seems to be Sonic's least favorite act as he fumbles quite a bit until near the end.  First goes down pretty fast and the final boss of the S3 portion of this run also has a similar conclusion.

Mushroom Hill:

Oh boy....started off pretty good until Sonic started taking the fastest route through here.  Things got shaky, but ended on a good note.

Act 2 went as well as it could have.  Not too sure if the beginning scene could have been skipped, but if it was possible, I'm sure it was considered.  Really not much to say about this.  I'm sure that will change in the coming zones.

Flying Battery:

In all honesty, I think Tails could have kept up with Sonic as to not warrant a loss of 5-6 sec. for the upcoming setup.  Most of Act 1 being skipped due to this semi-outrageous zip.  Ending the sub-boss to start the upcoming zip for what's up ahead.

Act 2 begins with Sonic defying physics as he runs on air.  With Tails airlifting Sonic to reach the upper portions of this act, Sonic begins to run into a 3/4 loop to begin his journey to the other side....of this act.  Sonic and Tails arriving a little early, but that doesn't impede their march towards the highest bridge of the Flying Battery.  Robotnik goes down without faults and the act is over.

Sandopolis:

Too bad on the zip at the start of Act 1.  Don't get me wrong, it would be impossible, but cool to perform.  Going the normal route as planned (something I've been trying to improve, but coming off of rust was being troublesome) and using Tails to avoid an area was quite nice.  Sonic then proceeds to mistime a jump sending causing a predicament.  Tails then nonchalantly flutters down to aid Sonic, but Sonic is quite flustered and to leave his mistake.  2:29 not being all to impressive, but hoping the following act will be a saving grace.

Already, I like how Tails keeps the switches from resetting.  Sonic just keeps his momentum pretty damn well along with that lightning shield giving him quite the edge when needing to reach those heights.  Watching as Sonic goes through floors...on purpose!  True teamwork shines its brighest at the beginning of the sand chambers.  Aye at about 1:32 (Act 2 time), Tails loses focus and doesn't keep up.  Would seem that Sonic had it in the bag, but Tails could have been benefitial without needing a capsule for a crutch.  Not too much time loss, but it does look a smidge crumby.  Coming to the Boss, not so bad with a slight tinge of mis placement, but a 6-2 fight none the less.

Lava Reef:

Uh oh...no wait...ok...yeah...Sonic and Tails gotta get it together.  Act 1 wasn't very pleasing to view, but I can be more lenient with it's position in this game.  At about 14-15 (Act time), missed the opportunity to go through the floor into the area below saving about 9-10 sec.  I will say that you're more than likely to look like a fool while attempting this shortcut, but at least 1 try would have sufficed.  Shame on Sonic for not allowing Tails to land on the elevator.  Why not just jump to Tails like you were before?  Well clearly, Tails was a little inebriated as he faces the opposite direction.  Please control yourself Tails, no more embarrassments.  At 1:27, another missed shortcut of which I overheard it was quite simple, yet I myself had the most difficult time succeeding.  It does shave off a lot time wasted run through these shafts.  Boss goes down easy, but Sonic makes a grave mistake.  Enough to toss the run?

Act 2's start shouldn't've been so standard, but the botched zip aided in this long winded Act.  Words cannot express what was done at 1:14.  The Act 3 skip was most certainly a neccessity after the travesty that proceded.

Difficult? yes
Advantageous? FUCK YEAH!

Hidden Palace:

Slight mistake, but this went as well as it could have.

Sky Sanctuary:

Doesn't start off so strong with Tails dropping the ball.  Sonic then follows it up with missing the lightning shield in passing.  He then has to waste time back tracking as that shield is a must.  Mecha Sonic then gets shut down with only one mistake.  Not something to hold against the duo as his positions are random which either allows for free hits or damage.

Death Egg:

Would have been nice if Tails also entered the large gravity chamber. Act 1 Boss was handled pretty well for what could be done.

Act 2 without too much hassle.  If I'm not mistaken, skipping the first light trail would have been faster.  Nothing too horrible though.  Made it to the boss fairly fast.  First boss was handled with care.  Second boss just the same, except Tails got a little too excited.  Third was choreographed pretty damn well.  Fourth boss went down with a little hesitation, but do not choke when the finish is so near.

And that concludes the run.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to accept this on the grounds that...who the hell else is going to step up to this?  Co-op runs as a whole are difficult to pull together in-game and in reality due to many factors.  This will be a stepping stone to those that wish to partake in trumping this run.  There are still a lot of time savers to be performed and many yet to be discovered.  It took me a while to come to this conclusion due to some misguidings.  For the most part of what was skipped, they made up for in execution and fluid movement (except LR1).  For what could be done was performed as well as allowed (LR2).  That was just the game however, real life did rear its ugly head as the participants were going against an invisible clock and had to practice more than ever to get this just right.  A month to pull something similar off?  Good fucking luck for a much cleaner and even more zip ridden run.  Could Tails have hung around Sonic much better than perceived?  Yes, but you also run the risk of mistimed strats and shortcuts.  The pressure must have been on always for them both.  It's not like Tails had it any easier as Sonic relied on Tails for most of those shortcuts.  I'm not going to excuse the mistakes done in this run, but for what it's worth, this was nicely performed.  Congrats to mike89/FlyingFox for what little time they had together and still knocked this out.

Quote:
Sorry this run took so long to verify, I had to recreate some of these glitches just to be sure. Easy yes for me. Nothing would indicate this run is cheated.

Whoever said this run should be rejected is crazy. Many of the tricks used I've only seen done in TAS runs, and in fact several I thought were TAS only. As for the lava reef zone, yes there are some mistakes that look bad, but in both act 1 and in act 2 the skips are faster even with the mistakes, than if the level were played out in full. By far. I mean, the boss was skipped in act 2… one that you can't damage directly and have to wait a long time to beat. Tails was used well during quite a few bosses, so I am not sure what the hangups are.

I was pretty impressed by the run. Special shield use was excellent, many impressive tricks were used, and the mistakes I can chalk up to it being single segment. I think this run demonstrates skilled play, and a lot of knowledge of the game.

Accept!

Quote:
I wanted to write some detailed verifier comments for this, but it just resulted in me procrastinating on this for way too long. :\

Audio/video quality is fine, no signs of cheating.

There were a decent amount of mistakes throughout the run; Lava Reef was easily the worst part, the beginning of LB2 had several mistakes, and there were lots of smaller mistakes throughout the run. However, I can't overlook the fact that a lot of things went right; it's a pretty good run overall, and ultimately the mistakes don't overshadow the good parts.

Normally, because of the mistakes, I would want them to redo the run; but because of the limited time they had to work on it, I give it an accept. I do hope that they get a chance to improve it in the future, though.

Decision: Accept

Reason It's 2-player Sonic, ffs.

BTW, first verifier is yours truly. It was tempting to just reject him from verifying, but I'm a nice dictator. Wink
Thread title:  
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-11-19 02:05:19 pm
mike89: 2010-11-19 02:03:44 pm
mike89: 2010-11-19 02:03:17 pm
SEGA Junkie
Thanks everyone!

Time for some long-winded explanations. Even more long winded than usual because I'm defending two players here, and I think the comments directed at Emma's play in particular are in some cases quite unfair.

Quote from Verifier 1:
Others [tricks] he just seems to plain ignore, like the Ice Cap Act 2 skip, or Mushroom Hill Act 2 early start.

This reeks of someone who has absolutely no experience with running this game. Mushroom Hill 2 early start requires you to kill the boss at a very specific point while it's moving, which means either getting five hits before it even moves (which is only possible the TAS way, which is ridiculous) or waiting an entire cycle which basically blows your entire advantage. Then even if you could do that you would have to run the first ten seconds of MH2 blind, with all the springs and loops broken. I'm not even going to go into Ice Cap 2, skipping Ice Cap 1 is random enough (you can either be caught by the crushing pillars, which costs about 20 seconds and kills the glitch, or you can get to the left edge and fail to zip which is automatic run over).

Quote from Verifier 1:
Things start to take a turn for the finicky at Sandopolis. I'm not entirely convinced the route chosen in Act 2 was the fastest (there's vertical screenwrap glitches here).

The only mistake I made in Sandopolis was missing that jump in act 1. Act 2 went perfectly to plan, 2:45 was comfortably my best time here. You could do screenwrap glitches here but unless you caught an entire cycle of moving platforms you don't save any time at all.

Quote from Verifier 1:
There's also a trick to skip the boss, which ends up taking way, way too long to be done for my tastes.

And you would rather see two minutes of boss autoscroller instead? Honestly, if you could hit those two tricks inside 30 seconds of each other I'd be amazed. The jump into the stairs requires you to hold the jump for exactly the right amount of frames from a quite specific distance away, and spindashing through the solid platform requires you to execute two spindashes within about 9-10 frames (not sure on exactly what it is). Everything else in Lava Reef is a valid complaint because that zone was generally really bad, I can't defend that.

Quote from Verifier 2:
Coming off of the two consecutive loops, could have jumped off the ramp at the end and land on the cliff to the right without needing the spring.

Maybe if you were able to time that jump frame-perfectly. In order to get the height you need to jump off an upward ramp, and if you undershoot it you lose time (and potentially miss the platform you were trying to skip, which is run over).

Quote from Verifier 2:
There's a glitch in here with Tails to basically traverse the upper borders of this act to reach the end faster.  I'm not sure if it'll work if Tails is carrying Sonic and I'm not going to pretend I do know.

It does work (see the published TAS) but to pull it off you would have to send both characters onto the loop, both spindash off and have Tails make a clean catch completely blind. Like hell am I trying for that.

Quote from Verifier 2:
Boss was very much sloppy.  Seemed like it was some flailing around trying to get hits in when the strategy fell apart.

Not really, the strategy basically is take hits and use the invincibility time to your advantage. That's why, with Tails and Knuckles who don't get a shield in the level, I pick one up off the boss map, just for the extra hit (and zero time loss!).

Quote from Verifier 2:
The start of Act 1 has a pretty bizarre setup for a zip to reach the end, but Sonic avoids this and moves on with the alternate route of time attacking.  I can understand the ommission of this zip as it's somewhat unreliable (I've tried this myself and I couldn't perform it for the life of me).

This is a really weird zip, there's a method that with Tails works 100% of the time, but if you try it with Sonic instead of running around the platform he just falls off. Really strange.

Quote from Verifier 2:
  First one being about 1/4 into the Act with the use of a bubble shield and a drum, one would simply wedge themselves in-between the drum and wall to zip to about 3/4 into the stage.

This was in my initial practice runs, but I dropped it when I realised that the game would only let me zip out of the wall about 10% of the time. Not to mention hardly any runs even got to Carnival Night because of the randomness of the early game (and the higher standards I was demanding).

Quote from Verifier 2:
I see they denied the use of a huge shortcut [in IC1].  That certainly would have been a spectacular highlight of the run.

See my response to Verifier 1... I was surprised at how hard it was to hit this one, I thought I had something consistent going but when it came to playing on console I couldn't hit it that way at all. Incidentally, this and my Knuckles run have taught me that SDA should never, ever accept unofficially emulated runs. Even in really innocuous situations there are so many inconsistencies in how things work...

Quote from Verifier 2:
In all honesty, I think Tails could have kept up with Sonic as to not warrant a loss of 5-6 sec. for the upcoming setup.

That's actually impossible unless Sonic and Tails hit the very first zipline on the same frame, because otherwise you get what you see here where Tails doesn't go up the slope and has to fly back, or Tails hits the zipline first and Sonic is stuck waiting, which is much worse.

Quote from Verifier 2:
At about 14-15 (Act time), missed the opportunity to go through the floor into the area below saving about 9-10 sec.

This glitch is completely random and I haven't hit it in... actually, a number of years. eredani once told me that you can't do it off a full speed spindash so I never do a full spindash here, just in case it decides to work.

Quote from Verifier 4:
I do hope that they get a chance to improve it in the future, though.

It's low on my list of priorities, but when Emma and I get more time together I'm fairly sure we'll take some time to crank out a better run, maybe with more of the more difficult tricks. There's also a fairly routine zip in Death Egg 2 that nobody mentioned, which saves about 15 seconds but missing it is death. I got cold feet on attempting that one. Tongue

More generally:

Quote from Verifier 1:
One of the things that bugged me the most was Tails not being as active as he could've been.

Every single use of Tails in the run is planned. If I don't need Tails then I would rather Emma stayed out of my way rather than try and keep up with me, and if I do need her later on I make her stop at a specific point so she comes back at the right time (eg. AI2, MG2).

Also, I timed it at the time and I worked out there were probably about 81 seconds of execution mistakes throughout the run. I didn't work out a proper split for who caused what errors but I'm guessing more of it was my fault than not. Comparing with about 35 seconds in the Knuckles run, it does indeed look pretty bad, but considering that I practically put a month non-stop into that run, whereas for this run we had to practice remotely (couldn't even play together due to the ridiculous latency online), had a month to get it done, in between me working and travelling for a total of 14 hours a day (which I didn't expect when Emma booked the tickets) and actually taking her places in Australia, not to mention the actual co-ordination involved in the run (well beyond, I believe, any 2p run on the site to date), I don't think it's any wonder that our best run had that much in mistakes. To pin any mistakes outside of Lava Reef 1 (which was definitely Emma's fault) on her is even more ridiculous because you all know that Emma doesn't have the experience running this game (or any game, for that matter) that I do.

BTW Mike, I'm sending you a revised version of my comments which fixes a couple of things. And I'm reversing my earlier decision (you know what I mean Wink ).
Bwahahaha... there WILL be domination!
Yeah, this run is absolutely amazing, for 2P or 1P, and, while ugly at times (the best sonic runs tend to be ugly. See: S2TAS Met3, Boss), is a wonderful piece of work.  I count maybe 60 seconds of execution 'mistakes' (that is, places where they got dicked, or were a split second off), and considering both the length of the run, the fact it's SS (it could've been an IL table to maximize times), and it's 2p.

Could've been better, yes, but I'd still rate this in the top 2% or so of possibilities for this run.  So much can go wrong at any time.  I'm happy he left out a handful of 80%+ gameenders, or else we'd never see a run of this.

I can't wait to see the full encode + Comments.
SEGA Junkie
Oh, I forgot something. I've already mentioned it before but I wanted to formalise it here, this run should obsolete my Sonic run from 2006, which is well and truly out of date.

(I think it's funny that while people had their complaints about this run, not one person even attempted to beat my runs when there was this much improvement on the table...)
fucking .gif....
I would've beaten it if you had placed a bounty for it Wink
My feelings on The Demon Rush
But this game doesn't have Blast Possuming. Tongue
Is PJ
Quote from mikwuyma:
But this game doesn't have Blast Possuming. Tongue

QFT.  And if not for truth, then for "Blast Possuming".
Edit history:
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 03:37:39 pm
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 03:32:49 pm
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 03:30:46 pm
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 03:26:04 pm
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 03:24:53 pm
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 05:21:50 am
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 05:20:57 am
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 05:18:00 am
Flying Fox: 2010-11-20 05:16:07 am
Thought I should post in here since I was one of the speed runners Tongue

I don't know how much you guys know about me but I actually live in England and was only spending a month there with mike89. So we really did have only a month - well actually three weeks since I had really bad flu to do this run. I admit that this run can be better and reading the verifiers comments has made me want to do it again. Hopefully a better run will be coming sometime in the future Smiley

I actually agree with everything mike89 said except for one thing which is this:

Quote from mike89:
To pin any mistakes outside of Lava Reef 1 (which was definitely Emma's fault) on her is even more ridiculous because you all know that Emma doesn't have the experience running this game (or any game, for that matter) that I do.

Sorry mike89 but a few people from TSC have disagreed with you there. I do actually have experience of speed running -a- game which is Sonic and the Black Knight. All you have to do is look at my times on TSC and you'll see that not only are rank 2 but most of them are extremely close to the champion's times. Sorry for going off topic there, but I didn't want you guys to think that I couldn't speed run any game what so ever when I can.
Edit history:
Quartz: 2010-11-20 03:27:02 pm
a.k.a. Taillow
I know I said this to you both but congrats again.  The concept of a co-op run is still cool and... I didn't even realize you two had a good enough run sent in while Flying Fox was down under.  Shows what I know!
SEGA Junkie
Quote from Flying Fox:
I do actually have experience of speed running -a- game which is Sonic and the Black Knight.

Quite correct. However, this stretches the definition of a "game" a bit too much for my liking. Tongue
The world would be better without S&tBK, so thus, it cannot be a game, because generally a game is for entertainment. (The game itself, not learning to play it in an entertaining way).

I ignore the "game" as a game, and will just sarcastically call it a "game".
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Much love mike89 and Flying Fox. I'm sooo behind on the going-ons here at SDA that I completely missed the planning thread for this run? Can't wait to check out this amazing run!

(Try to include some bad-ass audio commentary. Stanski set the bar high with the Sonic 2 commentary! :))
i finally got the chance to watch this run just now.

i totally lost it at the end of launch base 1. hilarious.

shame about lava reef.

nice death egg bosses, both of them.

great work from everyone involved. really enjoyable watch overall.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
I have not watched the Sonic & Tails run yet, but I had a question about the category.  Shouldn't we leave up the Sonic run from 2006, because technically having a competent Tails at your side gives a pretty nice advantage to the runner.  People running as just Sonic or Tails, or even as the two of them but without human assistance, probably could not achieve this time in a non-TAS setting, right? 

Yeah, the old Sonic run was sooo out of date that it probably wouldn't hurt to remove it now that we have a substantially better run in a different category (like how the old Luigi's Mansion run was replaced by the 'new mansion' run), but I think it might be useful to have some kind of note on the page explaining that 1-player Sonic/Tails runs are treated as a different category from this run.  Otherwise people might be discouraged from practicing 1-player runs, since they would have little chance of competing with a 2-player one. 

Just curious. Anyway, can't WAIT to watch this run!
Edit history:
romscout: 2011-03-24 05:10:54 am
that Metroidvania guy
I think the Sonic run was removed just because mike89 requested it (even though he did use the term "obsolete" in that request). Also Mike's Tails run that he submitted recently is 33:31, so that second statement is off. I don't know if a Sonic run can be faster than this co-op one though, because I don't run the game myself.

edit: I imagine it'd be pretty hard for Sonic 1p to beat this run just because it seems like it's a Sonic run that uses Tails glitches to speed it up.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Wait, he did a Tails solo run too?  Well shucks then nevermind!  (And damn, Mike89, could you be a little more productive?)
SEGA Junkie
Yeah, Sonic solo runs would definitely be different to S+T (even in Sonic 2 they're separate categories, actually) but I requested my old run be taken down because it was incredibly old. Sonic solo would be slower by some way, and as romscout mentioned Tails solo is quite some margin quicker.