List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonYellow.html

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
SEG.1 --- Nothing to say beside he block on the wall of oak lab but beside that it was pretty nice and luck manipulation for critical hit(I think).
SEG.2 --- Block on oak lab wall and on oak himself
SEG.3 --- Nothing much, moving seg. Very well done.
SEG.4 --- Catch a level 6 nidoran from the first try, wonder how many retry this took?
SEG.5 --- A leveling segment, good overall.
SEG.6 --- Very good segment, catch a level 6 pigey on first try(show that he manipulate luck even if this one was already a bit damage).
SEG.7 --- Good but I have two hic there, the first one is he should have manipulate the caterpil encounter(not doing it) instead of running away. After this, is it legal to use the nidoking level 100 glitch with the escape rope, if yes, why didn’t he do it.
SEG.8 --- Very good fight, good segment.
SEG.9 --- Good overall, like usual a movement mistake, hit a wall and sad that he just realized that saving by going up is faster than down.
SEG.10 --- Since this segment is short he could have been faster in my opinion and not doing mistakes.
SEG.11 --- Use segmentation to avoid encounter, that’s nice.
SEG.12 --- Same
SEG.13 --- Good segment, we finally  have our Nidoking.
SEG.14 --- Same as seg.11
SEG.15 --- Same
SEG.16 --- Very good segment with two fight including 3 critical hit on 4 attacks against the team rocket.
SEG.17 --- Nothing to say about this one.
SEG.18 --- Very good segment, longest so far and nice battle preparation.
SEG.19 --- Another very good and long segment
SEG.20 --- Nothing to say.
SEG.21 --- good segment there.
SEG.22 --- Good tactic, good luck manipulation and good segment overall.
SEG.23 --- Good segment.
SEG.24 --- Very good cave travelling.
SEG.25 --- very good segment but isn’t faster to take the bike instead of walking toward the tower.
SEG.26 --- A good segment do the whole tower in the same segment. Good battles strats.
SEG.27 --- Good but he stop a couple of time for unknown reasons.
SEG.28 --- Great segment, finally, horn drill
SEG.29 --- Good battle with Giovanni.
SEG.30 --- Be careful on planning(you don’t have to move before dig and fly isn’t in the item Tongue )
SEG.31 --- Good fights overall, didn’t succumb to a disable Tongue  .
SEG.32 --- Pretty good but I think it’s faster to use dig after Koga.
SEG.33 --- Nothing much to say.
SEG.34 --- Good tactic in the vermilions gym and good use of x-accuracy/Horn drill.
SEG.35 --- Nice segment and I laugh at the not very effective One-Hit KO.
SEG.36 --- Best segment so far, you show a great control of strength while being on a bike and your menu moving in the beginning of the segment was good.
SEG.37 --- Probably manipulate Dewgong to not kill you at the first attack.
SEG.38 --- One-hit ko everyone with non One-Hit KO attack. So again nice battle planning.
SEG.39 --- X-accuracy/X-speed/Horn drill
SEG.40 --- Same+ why do you put the animation back for this segment only, there must be a reason since you did it in your last Speedrun too(or maybe it’s automatic against the last leader, I don’t remember).

Overall comment:
-Hit a lot of walls and persons but that’s better than in his last one.
-Do a couple of movements mistakes but also better than in his last one.
-Very good planning but the overall execution in some part look uncertain and in other place look totally sick.
-Should have name Nidoking a letter since he use it a lot of times.(more precisely in the whole game after he catch him).
-A good luck manipulation.

No cheating detected
A/V is good
Decision: Accepted: that’s a pretty good run, a lot of improvement could be done for a couples of minutes but it will be by someone who want to make it TAS like and also catch the lvl 1 nodoking that upgrade to lvl. 100 in one battle. Still congrat for the big improvement over the last one.
Congratulation to Phillip Donald!!!

Quote:
The large number of segments was a good choice, fewer opportunities for fatigue. No de-sync for A/V. No cheating. Overall accept.

And yes, the animation is turned on for the final rival battle, so that can't be helped.

Quote:
No issues with the movie quality - both sound and video are nice and clear. Planning-wise, the run is generally good to optimal, although there are a few spots where time is needlessly lost (and these could largely have been avoided just by cross-referencing the current Red/Blue runs). Beyond the usual minor walking/menu missteps, the execution could have afforded some improvement in places as well, but again is acceptable overall. I'll mention some of the bigger issues I noticed here, so that they can be taken note of for future improvements maybe:

Seg 4: Catching the Lv6 Nidoran M from full health in one go is impressive, but its Attack is middling and its Speed is low-end. Better Attack in particular could have helped with variable K.O.'s throughout the entire run. Even more notable is the fact that he does not rename it, costing something in the order of at least a minute in total due to extra text scrolling.
Seg 5 - Spends several turns spamming Leer to beat the other Nidoran M with two hits, but then fails to do so due to a crit (which ignore all stat modifiers in gen 1). Could maybe have used a more efficient Leer:Tackle ratio in the first place?
Seg 6 - Wastes a turn needlessly by choosing Tackle instead of Horn Attack.
Seg 13 - Fights a non-mandatory battle before evolving Nidorino (I would assume as part of the run plan but I guess it's a spot for potential improvement).
Seg 21 - Sells off 6 Potions he never used, including 2 he spent time picking up in Viridian Forest, and then overstocks on Super Potions and only uses one in the very last segment. Free inventory space for future runners!
Seg 23 - It is possible to avoid the trainer here without having to Cut through the trees, by simply hugging the far wall and riding past her.
Seg 25 - Takes the lift multiple times while shopping, when it is always faster to use the stairs. Also, getting a few extra X-Items might have been beneficial, as they could have allowed the runner to use regular moves to win some battles and save on a lengthy Pokemon Centre visit or two.
Seg 27 - Takes an unnecessary long path to the teleport after getting the Card Key, using the lift and incurring an extra trainer battle. May have planned for extra exp?

While these do drag the final time out by some minutes, this is still an 18-minute improvement over the current run, and the mid-to-late-game sections where Nidoking becomes underlevelled are handled very well. Accept.

Quote:
Hello little whippersnappers.  Yes, I'm here again.  Why do I sound less bothered this time around?  Because you're FINALLY going old school, ya young punks.  The good old Game Boy - 4 bit handheld fun.  You didn't have fancy graphics, stereo sound, or this wireless garbage.  Nope.  Just good old fashioned fun, THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE.

Ah the hero, Ash GottaKechEmAll.  Oh wait, are you telling me that's WRONG?  What do you think I am?  Forgetful?  Bah.  Stupid kids.

First off, I must say that the runner is far from manly, much like myself.  SEGMENTING A RUN.  Bah.  I understand that a handheld game like this needs to have a save feature, but don't need to save every 5 steps, stupid kid.  It should only be used when your mommy says "OUT OF THE CAR!" or when the 16 D batteries were running out.  What, you say it didn't use D batteries or even that many in general?  What do YOU know about old handhelds.  Why you with your fancy "DSes" and "3DSes" and "PSPs" and that fancy schmancy garbage.  FOUR BITS kids.  FOUR.  And this is better then most of the garbage put out today.

So this is the story of a boy and his 151 Pokemon.  Not 251.  Not 386.  Not 491.  Not 659.  151.  That's all we needed and we ENJOYED IT.  No fangled IVs, EVs, or Shinies.  No Dark or Steel Types.  Yeah, I know.  Bugs.  WHO CARES.  That was half the challenge and 90% of the fun.  Also it's about beating the snot out of your rival.  Yeah, the kid needed a good whipping with a switch anyways.

Having watched your video thingies, I must say - beating any opponent when you're 9 levels down and down to 20 HP, that's mighty damn impressive.  I might just classify you as a hero.  I mean, takes some guts, kid.  GUTS.  Good to see SOMEBODY around here besides your lovable old geezer here is capable of showing it.  Of course, you still have some work to do kid.  Try pulling that stunt off without saves.  Yeah, can't do it, can ya?

HA HA HA HA HA.

Y'er getting pretty good kid.  Make us old geezers proud.

I accept this run, since it starts to show skill close to this old man.  Close, but no cigar.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN.

Quote:
FINISHED.

Im being very nitpicky so dont take any error seriously unless I point out is a serious one Tongue

Over all segments: The menu/overworld is not perfect but I doubt it amounts to a significant improvement, and doing it perfect is, well, hard plus the manipulation.

seg 1. No nickname for pikachu, whether it should get one or not depends on planning. I'd have to count how many times its name is displayed to tell for sure. Even if an error it shouldn't be too big.
seg 2: walks extra 10 tiles and 4 ledge jumps to prevent random encounters, which could be okay, but also jumps a third ledge that wasn't necessary as it had open road next to it. Also by only adding 3 grass tiles he could have saved 8 tiles and 1 ledge jump more. Being segmented and walking being all the manipulation he did he could have gone for the gold however. Exits mart wrong. Errors shouldn't be worth more than 3 seconds.
seg 4. Serious error, no nickname for nidoran, its 0.1s per time its name is displayed, and this will add up very quickly. Walked two extra tiles. And I read the stats weren't optimal. At this time the runner was still learning to use the advice from his previous run. Still should have tried again.
seg 5. Whether the strategies used are good or not we can leave that to planning. The idea of fainting pikachu is good however. And I would have suggested to use more critical hits even if more segments were required. At least th erunner shows he's gonna start the battles himself rather than wait for the alert animation.
seg 6. Screwed by using tackle vs metapod, extending the battle one round. Should have caught pidgey first try as well since the segment wasnt too hot to keep (no chs and metapod mistake).
seg 7. Didnt start battle.
seg 9. More movement errors.
seg 10-16. Maybe try to walk a bit further? but its okay, the critical hits poured on the last segment.
seg 17. Jumped an unnecessary ledge again.
seg 18. I think he walked one too many tiles before fighting Blue. But the battles went great. It shows that Nidoking could have used a bit more attack power (maybe).
seg 19. I cant help but believe Horn Attack could have been used on some places instead of Thrash, the second is a slower move when used for just one round, you have to use it on long rounds, or to force shorter fights.
seg 24. Hah with the extra speed and blind I guess its too much to ask to talk to the trainers. But there's lots of blind movement mistakes here. Should try cheating with the TV brightness.
seg 25. Havent tested but I'll guess jumping off the ledges in this case is correct as it is the approach that uses the less tiles. The first skip would be good but would have to jump the second ledge. The elevator sucked, the stairs should be faster.
seg 26. The potion used earlier on was useless as the healing pad was reached without dropping below 20 points. I understand the runner can't see the future, just saying more planning beforehand could have helped some. Could have used a critical versus weezing or arbok.
seg 27. A ch versus machoke could have helped save some. Again elevator may be slower than stairs depending on how many floors to move.
seg 29. Apparently wasted an EQ PP versus Persian, as DK would have had the same result. But well it isnt really needed until next pokemon center.
sqg 32. Had 2 extra repels that should have been super repels from the start. Not to count the extra potions and stuff that has been mentioned by the other verifiers.
rest of run. From here on it is just about sweeping. Versus Bruno he spent the final Horn Drill instead of using Fissure, which could have been saved for the agatha fight versus Golbat. He could have restarted the battle until Horn Drill connected then continue like normal on that fight. Horn Drill has more chances than a critical hit Ice Beam.

The runner improved many things, especially using more segments. I accepted the other one, so I accept this one regardless of whatever mistakes may still be present.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Phillip 'Plasia' Donald!
Thread title:  
Failsia
Thanks for taking the time to verify this.

The biggest mistakes I noticed while looking back were:
- Mediocre start, especially leering... well especially everything really...
- NOT NAMING NIDO! WHY DID I NAME MYSELF BUT FORGET NIDO AHHH
- Bad item planning
- Didn't know ledgehopping was slower until halfway through

A few things:
- The animations are turned on by the game for the final fight, nothing I can do
- I'm pretty sure you can't dig at Koga's gym. I'll give it a go if I try again for a 2:00
- Pretty sure that lvl1-100 nido trick is a glitch thing, which would put the run in another segment?
- If people don't know about the "previous run" it's on a playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/user/plasia#grid/user/BAB4FB1267EC6F8A. It's not very good, it's only 6 minutes faster than the other run.

Again, thanks, don't be afraid to say hi on irc!
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
From reading the Verifiers comments, this looks like it doesn't use some of the HUGE glitches, such as Trainer Fly, Experience Glitch (don't know Official name, but what can you do?) that levels up straight from Lv 1 to 100 after catching Ivysaur/Mew and, most importantly Walk Through Walls.

However, an otherwise glitchless run (from what I've gathered) will be fun to watch upon being uploaded to the site. Even though I haven't seen it yet, congratulations to Plasia, and good job on a very good run!
Catchin' them all
So, what's the final time lol?
Failsia
Final Time is 2:10
Catchin' them all
Ah, ok. Thanks. Smiley