List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Pikmin2.html

Charles Griffin's all treasures run

Quote:
Hi,

Verification comments. Sorry it's a little late, I had some unexpected real world stuff crop up Tongue

Firstly, let me just say congratulations to Jigpuff for making such a massive improvement to such a great game.

Cheating: I'm not going to count every pikmin at the start of ever cave floor, but I couldn't see any kind of cheating - nothing strange (except the game saying only 1 red pikmin was born in the day 6 credits)

Audio/Visual: Nothing wrong at all. Exellent quality for both.

Overall impression: The run is incredible. Everything looks either perfect or close to it except one or two small hiccups (Segment 37 for example).

Accept/Reject: It improves the current run by about 1 hour, 40 minutes. The answer is obvious.

Detailed thoughts on segments:

Seg 1 (day 1 VoR)
Very good segment, optimisation such as pushing pikmin around the battery

Seg 2 (day 2 VoR 1)
First things first, major kudos to mikwuyma for uploading this segment at 13:37.
Good strategy, well executed and timed. Eg. Moving Louie to the gate and grabbing the pikmin to crush the bag.

Seg 3 (day 2 EC 1 run 1)
Looks Perfect

Seg 4 (day 2 EC 2 run 1)
Very efficient, basically perfect again.

Seg 5 (day 2 VoR 2)
Lolwut?

Seg 6 (day 2 EC 1 run 2)

Seg 7 (day 2 EC 2 run 2)
Pretty awesomely done. I seem to remember there being a reason for only getting 19 Purple Pikmin (cave on day 3?).

Seg 8 (day 2 VoR 3)
Wastes lots of time here. Reject!

Seg 9 (day 3 AW 1)
Pushed the pikmin on the gate, like on day 1. Very good elsewhere, such as avoiding enemies near the bag.

Seg 10 (day 3 WFG 1)
Nothing much to say here, well executed. I presume the treasure can't spawn any closer to the ship?

Seg 11 (day 3 WFG 2)
It looks like a little time could've been saved by moving towards the hole more quickly, but it'd be 1/2 a second or less so no biggie.

Seg 12 (day 3 WFG 3)
No problems here.

Seg 13 (day 3 WFG 4)
And again.

Seg 14 (day 3 WFG 5)
First boss fight goes down easily.

Seg 15 (day 3 AW 2)
Sequence breaking in Pikmin? What is this madness? (note: The answer is not 'Sparta'). Excellent timing again with the poison emmitters. Close call with the frog near the bridge but, he missed :P. Good planning again at the end with the poison gate.

Seg 16 (day 3 HoB 1)
No comments here.

Seg 17 (day 3 HoB 2)
Ah, this is the reason for 19 Purple's on day 1, right? Those flowers only appear if you have < 20 Purples

Seg 18 (day 3 HoB 3)
Fire Burns!

Seg 19 (day 3 HoB 4)
Nicely executed.

Seg 20 (day 3 HoB 5)
I remember there being a boss on this floor... my mistake.

Seg 21 (day 3 AW 3)
Exciting stuff here. Remember to hold R for a close up of the action!

Seg 22 (day 4 PP 1)
Wieghts switch was done quickly, route was very good, like always. The items on ledges took a few attemps but I'm guessing little (if any) time was lost because of it. After that, the route seemed pretty excellent.

Seg 23 (day 4 GK 1)
Indeed

Seg 24 (day 4 GK 2)
Luck manipulation to get the treasures close to the ship (which happens on basically every cave floor, I know), and asides from that there's nothing really to say.

Seg 25 (day 4 GK 3)
[Witty comment here]

Seg 26 (day 4 GK 4)
Very nicely done - uses a glitch to get 2 sprays rather than 1 (infact, gets 4 rather than 2), which is repeated many, many times in the run, and doesn't even lose time doing it.

Seg 27 (day 4 GK 5)
I guess the purple flower can't get any closer to the treasures? Wastes a second or two having to backtrack all that way, after all.

Seg 28 (day 4 GK 6)
...This makes me ashamed that I found this sublevel difficult. Electric shield get!

Seg 29 (day 4 PP 2)
Skips the 30% debt cleared message by getting straight to 40% underground, which saves around 5 seconds. Every little helps.

Seg 30 (day 5 AW 1)
Horray, over half way through day wise and we finally get blue pikmin! Awesome sequence break with the purples near the water switches, and also saving time throwing the yellows up and stuff. And then saving time again by walking the purples straight through the poison switch. And then again with the Snagret Hole entry. Basically, generally awesome route planning, like always.

Seg 31 (day 5 SH 1)
I forgot how weird the music here was...

Seg 32 (day 5 SH 2)
Oh, yeah, daylight underground, that always makes sense. Nobody mention the ending of Majora's Mask!

Seg 33 (day 5 SH 3)
Random boss fights, whoo!

Seg 34 (day 5 SH 4)
This cave has a bizzare combination of floor types... Everything has been generally good so far in this cave

Seg 35 (day 5 SH 5)
Those spiders are so cute and irritating. Maybe a second could have been saved here from a better placed hole?

Seg 36 (day 5 SH 6)
Another dead Snagret. Seems to be a lot of treasure here. It looks like this could've been a tad faster if stuff was basically done quicker, but only very slightly.

Seg 37 (day 5 SH 7)
Looks a little sloppy as your pikmin get thrown off. Oh well. gets more Blue Pikmin as well, always nice.

Seg 38 (day 5 AW 2)
Yay 50%. Not sure whether to call the Bulblax entry a sequence break but whatever it is, it was good.

Seg 39 (day 5 BK 1)
I looked away for a second and missed it...

Seg 40 (day 5 BK 2)
Well, this worked.

Seg 41 (day 5 BK 3)
Easy floor is easy.

Seg 42 (day 5 BK 4)
1: Grab treasure
2: Make purple pikmin
3: Huh?
4: Profit!!!

Seg 43 (day 5 BK 5)
Dark cave... still easy apparently.

Seg 44 (day 5 BK 6)
A little slow to start, but fast after that.

Seg 45 (day 5 BK 7)
Bosses are fun, very quick kill on the Emperor Bulblax. Nice run with Louie up the flame corridor, I could never do that (and this is why I'm only a verifyer...)

Seg 46 (day 5 AW 3)
60% OF DEBT RECOVERED LOL. Nothing particularly important here, just some pikmin getting flowered.

Seg 47 (day 6 VoR 1)
No particular comments here, generally very well done like always

Seg 48 (day 6 FC 1)
Got a lot of bitter sprays, which are always useful. Not much else to say really. Seems like another second could have been saved by better positioning of treasure/hole but, oh well.

Seg 49 (day 6 FC 2)
No problems here

Seg 50 (day 6 FC 3)
Walked straight around an electric fence :D.

Seg 51 (day 6 FC 4)
I'm really running out of things to say, and we're not even half way through segment wise. Well executed sublevel, especially since it's a big one.

Seg 52 (day 6 FC 5)
Woo, superpunchiness!

Seg 53 (day 6 FC 6)
I love the names of the treasures on this floor.

Seg 54 (day 6 FC 7)
He remembered to press R for a close up of the action!

Seg 55 (day 6 FC 8)
Those Bulblax bosses really don't get to see much action, do they? 6 more sprays as well (or 5, since one was used)

Seg 56 (day 6 VoR 2)
Gets the crown then goes to the Subterranean Complex. Unsurprising really.

Seg 57 (day 6 SC 1)
Yeah.

Seg 58 (day 6 SC 2)
Gets the further treasure first to save a second or two.

Seg 59 (day 6 SC 3)
Quite a busy sublevel, lots of treasure and some pikmin making.

Seg 60 (day 6 SC 4)
There are some interesting strategies on this sublevel. I particularly like what he did with the yellow pikmin

Seg 61 (day 6 SC 5)
Getting both treasures on that side is important. Well executed after that.

Seg 62 (day 6 SC 6)
Nicely executed.

Seg 63 (day 6 SC 7)
Good

Seg 64 (day 6 SC 8)
More Purple Pikmin is always good.

Seg 65 (day 6 SC 9 + VoR 3)
Another boss dead in a matter of seconds. Then sprays are collected, like normal. Yay, debt repaid!
I'm a little confused by the game saying only 1 red Pikmin was born, any clarification?

Seg 66 (day 7 PP 1)
I can't say I understand why the OoB glitch works, but it does. Love the way he does the platform puzzle. Couldn't Olimar have been moved while the electric gate got destroyed? At least partway.

Seg 67 (day 7 SR 1)
Pretty straightforward.

Seg 68 (day 7 SR 2)
Did those pikmin make that bar of soap levitate?

Seg 69 (day 7 SR 3)
This was generally good, nicely done all around.

Seg 70 (day 7 SR 4)
lol

Seg 71 (day 7 SR 5)
This looks quite sloppy. I wonder if a few seconds could be shaved off here?

Seg 72 (day 7 SR 6)
No particular comments.

Seg 73 (day 7 SR 7)
Being able to use one bitter spray to kill bosses is hilarious.

Seg 74 (day 7 PP 2)
Straight to the Citadel of Spiders

Seg 75 (day 7 CoS 1)
Doing this cave this late is pretty funny actually.

Seg 76 (day 7 CoS 2)
Ooh, 12345 funds... also, the run was nice

Seg 77 (day 7 CoS 3)
Generally good.

Seg 78 (day 7 CoS 4)
Nice trick on the, er, lobster. I like the way the match rolls around, too.

Seg 79 (day 7 Cos 5)
Awesome trick on the boss is relatively cool.

Seg 80 (day 7 PP 3)
Collecting the last few treasures then heading to the Submerged Castle.

Seg 81 (day 7 SC 1)
Good firey Bulblax kill and treasure collection.

Seg 82 (day 7 SC 2)
How is this hole not completely underwater, anyway? Strategy looks generally good to me.

Seg 83 (day 7 SC 3)
Another cave with a very good strategy. A second could have been saved by moving the President to the hole quicker.

Seg 84 (day 7 SC 4)
Good

Seg 85 (day 7 SC 5)
Wow, a boss that survived more than 5 seconds. A bit crazy to follow, but, it worked.

Seg 86 (day 7 PP 4)
Savequit

Seg 87 (day 8 WW 1)
Goes straight to the Cavern of Chaos with a team of Purple and White pikmin (+5 reds)

Seg 88 (day 8 CoC 1)
Seems good

Seg 89 (day 8 CoC 2)
Lol, a bit harsh on the purples. Very good anyway.

Seg 90 (day 8 CoC 3)
This looks like it could have been a second or two faster if he'd run the right way from the start - I know it's random but it still looks a bit sloppy.

Seg 91 (day 8 CoC 4)
Well executed boss fight. Why was an Emperor Bulblax holding a lobster claw...?

Seg 92 (day 8 CoC 5)
There go the reds.

Seg 93 (day 8 CoC 6)
Good

Seg 94 (day 8 CoC 7)
Looks okay.

Seg 95 (day 8 CoC 8)
Woah, that's a lotta bulblaxes... running straight past them is pretty awesome

Seg 96 (day 8 CoC 9)
Pretty awesome.

Seg 97 (day 8 CoC 10)
I found that boss fairly tricky myself...

Seg 98 (day 8 WW 2)
The runs longest segment, how fun. Good use of Gatling Groink to destroy poison emmitters. After that, clever sequence break to get Olimar up the ledge. Like every overworld segment, excellent route planning and pikmin management. I love the use of the napsack as well, very clever.

Seg 99 (day 8 HoH 1)
Right, the penultimate hole, yay.

Seg 100 (day 8 HoH 2)
Quite clean execution, particularly with getting the whites on the treasure. Had a bit of a slow start though.

Seg 101 (day 8 HoH 3)
Well, that was quick.

Seg 102 (day 8 HoH 4)
Much quicker than the segment 37 Snagret, about 6 seconds. I'm presuming it's mainly because of the better strategy rather than the increased number of purples (if indeed there are more purples).

Seg 103 (day 8 HoH 5)
Yawn

Seg 104 (day 8 HoH 6)
Fairly basic. Grab treasure, dive deeper.

Seg 105 (day 8 HoH 7)
Aah, scary blob! It's easily destroyed though.

Seg 106 (day 8 HoH 8)
Bulbmin yay

Seg 107 (day 8 HoH 9)
Another Purple pikmin risking Fiery Bublax kill.

Seg 108 (day 8 HoH 10)
This floors are all so basic and fast.

Seg 109 (day 8 HoH 11)
Another boss, another kill.

Seg 110 (day 8 HoH 12)
What are all these blocks anyway? Gyromite blocks?

Seg 111 (day 8 HoH 13)
We love you blue pikmin! Tongue

Seg 112 (day 8 HoH 14)
And you leave a white pikmin drowning?

Seg 113 (day 8 HoH 15)
Finally! Nice kill on the boss, not much else to say about it, really.

Seg 114 (day 8 WW 3)
Swaps some Pikmin around and then heads for the Dream Den.

Seg 115 (day 8 DD 1)
Not bad, could have saved half a second if the pikmin attacked the hole cover more Tongue

Seg 116 (day 8 DD 2)
Nothing I couldn't have predicted here.

Seg 117 (day 8 DD 3)
That was a strange enemy to randomly fall from the sky.

Seg 118 (day 8 DD 4)
Close call with the cannon beetles and that white attacking the electric beetle.

Seg 119 (day 8 DD 5)
This run never ceases to amaze me with its cunning ways of killing Fiery Bulblaxes.

Seg 120 (day 8 DD 6)
Good

Seg 121 (day 8 DD 7)
Again, good.

Seg 122 (day 8 DD 8)
Possibly the funniest strategy to collect treasures ever. 10/10 for hilarity

Seg 123 (day 8 DD 9)
This is one of the sublevels I always struggled with, well done.

Seg 124 (day 8 DD 10)
I really am running out of comments now that aren't just repeats of things I've already said.

Seg 125 (day 8 DD 11)
I know that Jigpuff struggled on this floor for a while, the fact that you can't see why is a testament to the effort he's put into this run. I'm not going to insult him by point out the fractions of seconds he could have saved Tongue

Seg 126 (day 8 DD 12)
Good

Seg 127 (day 8 DD 13)
He makes it look so easy Sad

Seg 128 (day 8 DD 14 Titan Dweevil + WW 4)
The final fight (obviously). It's executed superbly, with treasure being collected during the fight and stuff. And every single spray also gets used, which is good.

Quote:
I'm about 40% of the way through watching it. I haven't been in the best of moods lately, but I'll finish off watching it in the next couple of days. So far there really isn't a lot to say given that it's one of those standard substancial overdue improvement runs.

Yes, that's all of the responses because the verifiers for this run, except for the first one, officially suck.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a long overdue improvement (sorry Radix!).
Thread title:  
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Such a massive effort and major improvement and only one verifier makes it all the way through? Hahaha.
Quote:
Seg 7 (day 2 EC 2 run 2)
Pretty awesomely done. I seem to remember there being a reason for only getting 19 Purple Pikmin (cave on day 3?).

Yeah, it was because of the candypops on HoB2, though you answered your own question later anyway. Tongue

Quote:
Seg 11 (day 3 WFG 2)
It looks like a little time could've been saved by moving towards the hole more quickly, but it'd be 1/2 a second or less so no biggie.

There's a second-or-so delay after cutscenes before you can do anything; I wouldn't have been able to go down the hole immediately anyway, so no time was lost.

Quote:
Seg 22 (day 4 PP 1)
Wieghts switch was done quickly, route was very good, like always. The items on ledges took a few attemps but I'm guessing little (if any) time was lost because of it. After that, the route seemed pretty excellent.

I actually usually reset if it took that many attempts, but I was faster than usual up to that point, so I kept going. Good thing I did.

Quote:
Seg 27 (day 4 GK 5)
I guess the purple flower can't get any closer to the treasures? Wastes a second or two having to backtrack all that way, after all.

Right, the candypop is always on the side you start on, while the treasures are always on the other half of the stage. I wasn't really happy with how slow the candypop was, but I couldn't get anything better. :\

Quote:
Seg 35 (day 5 SH 5)
Those spiders are so cute and irritating. Maybe a second could have been saved here from a better placed hole?

This does look pretty bad. :\  I've had a slightly faster attempt where I made it to the hole in time, but the Pikmin got a carcass to the ship... After I selected to go down to the next sublevel. >_<

Quote:
Seg 37 (day 5 SH 7)
Looks a little sloppy as your pikmin get thrown off. Oh well. gets more Blue Pikmin as well, always nice.

I didn't know about the strat I used in HoH until long after this, unfortunately. It would've been nice to use here, as it'd also save two sprays.

Quote:
Seg 65 (day 6 SC 9 + VoR 3)
Another boss dead in a matter of seconds. Then sprays are collected, like normal. Yay, debt repaid!
I'm a little confused by the game saying only 1 red Pikmin was born, any clarification?

1. If you turn a color into another color with a candypop, it won't count towards the initial color. (example: If you throw 5 reds into a purple candypop, they won't count towards the "red Pikmin born" total anymore)
2. The 5 Pikmin of each color you start with don't count towards the total. Since I finished with 6 reds, and 5 don't count, it says only 1 was born.

Quote:
Seg 66 (day 7 PP 1)
I can't say I understand why the OoB glitch works, but it does. Love the way he does the platform puzzle. Couldn't Olimar have been moved while the electric gate got destroyed? At least partway.

I didn't know when the electric gate would fall, and I wanted to immediately grab the treasure when it did. Plus moving Olimar would probably save very little time, if any.

Quote:
Seg 71 (day 7 SR 5)
This looks quite sloppy. I wonder if a few seconds could be shaved off here?

Yeah, this doesn't look too great, but it was really, really hard to get a decent layout here. :\

Quote:
Seg 76 (day 7 CoS 2)
Ooh, 12345 funds... also, the run was nice

...I never noticed that. >_>

Quote:
Seg 90 (day 8 CoC 3)
This looks like it could have been a second or two faster if he'd run the right way from the start - I know it's random but it still looks a bit sloppy.

Yup. Aren't random layouts fun?

Quote:
Seg 115 (day 8 DD 1)
Not bad, could have saved half a second if the pikmin attacked the hole cover more

Again, because of the second delay, I don't think this cost any time.

Also congratulations on being the only verifier to finish watching the run. Tongue  The rest of them, though...
Congratulations! You did a really great job! I've watched the whole run from the start and it's really great. Almost a 2 hour improvement is really amazing. I'm definitely going to watch this run again once it's put up on sda.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Lol.  Yeah, what rock did you hide this run under to prevent more than two people trying to verify it?  It's Pikmin firggin 2!

Btw, I haven't been around much in the last couple weeks... are we supposed to assume that second verifier was Radix?  If so, he gave himself away by blathering about not having enough time and not being in a good mood.  Wink
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
I was watching the progress in the thread, so I am definitely looking forward to this run. Congrats on the accept and kudos for your patience.
Fire Emblem?
*Proudly claims to be one and only verifier*

It was a long and impressive run. Thanks for clarifying those points, too. I never had any doubt about the run really, especially since it has psuedoverification from Youtube Tongue