List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Samuel 'Arkarian' Groves's Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Ah yes the original fps (first person slideshow)
Audio, Visual seems fine, no cheating
I noticed the wait at the start and upon entering the book, I've never played the dvd edition, probably doesn't waste any time as the screen transitions are indeed faster.
There are four possible endings and this is the good ending. Not getting the page would be faster but it's only an ending in the same way getting hit by a goomba three times ends the game.
With faster mousing a second or two could be saved on the turning screens but I don't think it's a big deal.
Accept
My only qualm is whether adventure games are appropriate for speedruning to begin with. The line has to be drawn somewhere and if not drawn here I may need to submit a Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy (the Infocom game) speedrun to force one

Quote:
The run is just about as fast as one could ever expect a run of Myst to be without TAS-like control over the mouse.  The only complaint I have is that throughout the entire video, there is a high-pitched sound that is not supposed to be there.  I'd suggest that something be done to remove said sound before putting the run on SDA.

That said, this run should be accepted, as, while I knew Myst could be completed extremely quickly, I never imagined it could be done quite this fast.

This verifier had a slight concern with the run

Quote:
Oh by the way, did any verifier from the Myst run mention anything about some bit weird cursor thing at 0:46? The cursor is on the right side of the screen, then the next frame on the left side of the screen. The video is also only 15 FPS and it looks a bit laggy, so maybe that caused it, I'm not sure.

The runner's response:

Quote:
i don't have a verifier copy, so my timecodes are different, but i assume he's talking about when i enter the library and quickly turn right, then left. that's lag in the game, not with camtasia as far as i can tell. it actually happens often in that spot and a few others when i do quick movements.

The result:

Quote:
me: did you get the runner's response?
Verifier: Yeah, I guess it's ok.
Verifier: Everything else in the run seemed good. Some fast good clicking. I actually have one thing to point out. He could've enabled Zip Mode and then from the higher place at the docks zip to the place in front of the last switch to get the white page. Would've saved 3 clicks Smiley
Verifier: Not really reject worthy I think. Accepted.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Uh, it's Myst?
Thread title:  
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
SLIPPERY SLOPE from Clue

Molotov, what have you done!
gamelogs.org
not sure what's causing that high-pitched sound, and i didn't realize it was there— must have thought it was supposed to be birds or something. weird that it stops at certain points though, like when i'm watching the gear animation and entering the fireplace code. hopefully it can be removed.

regarding zip mode: does the last verifier have the dvd edition? that particular zip may only be present in the original version. i checked everywhere to find a place to use zip mode, but it's certainly possible i missed something. at least the time difference would be less than a second.

and yeah, the wait at the start sucks. eventually i'd like to play around with the original version, but all things considered, i don't think it'd be faster than the dvd edition.
LOL just read the first verifier comment.

That poor soul clearly doesn't know about Clue if he thinks h2g2 is going to force a line drawn for trivial runs.
lol, Riven would become the shortest run on the site very quickly.

Nice, Ark.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
I was the first one, I am not talking about trivial games but about games where speedrunning is pointless. Seriously at least clue has graphics and sound
gamelogs.org
it's a short run and didn't take as long as most other runs to do, but i'm not sure why you say speed running it is pointless. there was a good deal of planning involved, and it's actually a lot more difficult than it looks to do a clean run quickly.
i also think it's pretty fun to watch, but that may just be me. :P
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Arkarian:
i also think it's pretty fun to watch, but that may just be me. :P

I really wasn't into Myst myself, but my sister's familiar with it.  Told her you did a run of it and she's like "I wanna see!"  WTG.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
no no I was just saying that text based adventure games would be pointless to speedrun not myst. I just think adventure games as a whole are inappropriate.
gamelogs.org
ah yeah i agree that runs of some (most?) adventure games of that sort wouldn't be very fun to watch. i don't really feel a line needs to be drawn anywhere though as long as they're commercial games that can get verifiers. surely there will be someone out there who would enjoy such runs, and i view genre diversity on sda as a good thing.
Myst is an important title. Don't knock it =p
Waiting hurts my soul...
I guess text based games could be run.  It'd be a speed run for typing speed... hehe... there would definitely be some luck involved in 100% for Zork, that dang thief's movements are pretty random.  Plus there's some HP based combat in some of those games.  A lot of the fun of those games is taken from discovery, so a speed run may not be as enjoyable.  Also, the text would be going by so fast you couldn't tell what was happening... hehe
This reminds me that after arguing with Enhasa in a thread a while back because I said text adventures would be innappropriate to speedrun, I deviously posted a thread about 'what constitutes a TAS' purely in the hope that either Mike or Enhasa, imaging pens and spoons, would naively say that any purely mechanical tool used to help pressing buttons doesn't count as TAS. Then my plan was to construct a huge and elaborate mechanical machine above my keyboard controlled by a heavy weight which, when dropped, operates the mechanism and causes exactly the sequence of keystrokes required to complete some text adventure to be pressed in rapid succession. Then I would balance the weight precariously and have my friends' pet cat, Dave, push it off the table, causing a completion of the game in under a second and thus simultaneously granting Dave the glory of having the fastest run on SDA and creating the world's first video game speedrun performed by an animal.

Alas, those who commented in the thread about the rules on what is or isn't TAS went and said horrible things about the need to use 'common sense' and such, spoiling my plans. A pity.
You spoony bard!
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
This reminds me that after arguing with Enhasa in a thread a while back because I said text adventures would be innappropriate to speedrun, I deviously posted a thread about 'what constitutes a TAS' purely in the hope that either Mike or Enhasa, imaging pens and spoons, would naively say that any purely mechanical tool used to help pressing buttons doesn't count as TAS. Then my plan was to construct a huge and elaborate mechanical machine above my keyboard controlled by a heavy weight which, when dropped, operates the mechanism and causes exactly the sequence of keystrokes required to complete some text adventure to be pressed in rapid succession. Then I would balance the weight precariously and have my friends' pet cat, Dave, push it off the table, causing a completion of the game in under a second and thus simultaneously granting Dave the glory of having the fastest run on SDA and creating the world's first video game speedrun performed by an animal.

Alas, those who commented in the thread about the rules on what is or isn't TAS went and said horrible things about the need to use 'common sense' and such, spoiling my plans. A pity.

You, sir, have far too much free time on your hands.
welcome to the machine
Quote from stickyman05:
i am an evil genius

You, sir, do not have enough free time on your hands.
This reminds me that after arguing with Enhasa in a thread a while back because I said text adventures would be innappropriate to speedrun

LOL I don't remember this. Huh? Awesome, I foil master plans by accident. Your downfall was in assuming we like to define rules, hohoho.
The webplayer video looks surprisingly good. Is it with 640x480 instead of 320x240?
Edit history:
TheQuietMan: 2009-05-28 01:00:27 pm
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote:
Many have offered this game as providing maybe the shortest possible run for SDA, but I guess those people need to get a clue.

Damn it Enhasa.

Many thanks for the huge update though. Smiley
Quote from djcj:
The webplayer video looks surprisingly good. Is it with 640x480 instead of 320x240?

yes. flash player uses mq. i rarely encode mq at d1 but this time i made an exception since there was no way in hell d1 would cause mq's crap profile to hit 512 kbit at quantizer 17.