1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetalGearSolid3.html

川元 'Hikari' 英則 (Hidenori 'Hikari' Kawamoto)'s European Extreme new game, new game + Foxhound rank runs and Kerotan rank run

Verifier Responses

There are a ton of responses because the runner redid some segments to incorporate a new wall glitch in the second half of his run.

Quote:
Video: a little too low quality even for a verificatin copy. It made the final time in the end-game screen hard to decipher. (on the NG+ run at least) The rest of the run is clear enough to see the action though.
Audio: no prob.
Cheating: none, but the runner completely spanked the enemy AI's ass, it makes newbies to the series think the enemies are easy to slip past. Cheesy

New Game+ run
nice new tricks here, alot of Caution segments make the run very enjoyable to watch. Now i'm not sure if the final time is 1:25:xx or 1:21/23/20 but it doesn't really matter since there isn't a segmented NG+ run anyway. Nothing else to say really, this game's been broken a hundred times over and for some reason new tricks are still being found, it's amazing. Accept.

New Game run
alot of same tricks from the NG+ run, with a few differences in some parts and segments for the really tricky ones. Krasnogorje was AWESOME, the best run i've seen of the area to date. (especially the mountainside) If Kojima ever watched segment 8 he might rethink the way he handles the AI in his games. Tongue

The run ends at 1:24:42, a whole minute (and a few seconds) faster than the published, already near-perfect run. Obvious accept.

Quote:
I finally watched both these runs... over a week ago. Dead Space 2 and a few other things made me lose focus until now. The only thing I have to say for both runs is "Holy crap", because they really speak for themselves. I have nothing to suggest for improvements because I don't think there's anything left to add at this point (Four or five improved runs later). I never knew draining Volgen's health in the hangar didn't count as a kill, and this is perhaps the biggest single source of improvement. Instead of CQC'ing him and taking down his stamina slowly, the runner simply snipes the heck out of him. This also prevents a ten second wait for him to get back up after giving up the Cold War uniform. Oh, and that motorcycle ride after the Volgen fight is simply incredible. Usually you do it with the tranquilzer gun for the first half. Instead, the runner uses stuns grenades on moving targets from a moving vehicle and... you've got to see it to beleive it. The amount of shots he hits the Shagohod with is ridiculous too. All of it is incredible.

I actually found the New Game run more impressive than the New Game+ run because of what the limitations were. Despite them, it is a very fast and entertaining run. The NG+ obviously carries over a few things that make it faster (The Patriot for The Fear fight). The overall time for that one is something along the lines of 1:23/25/:06/08. I can't tell because the text on the final screen is so small and the quality around it is very gainy. I'm sure the original files sent to nate would be much more clear if you need to check. The New Game run's time can actually be seen, and it's 1:24:42, which makes it over a minute faster than the run up there right now. I accept both of them and anxiously await their new transfers.

Quote:
Everything's synched and there didn't seem to be any cheating. The time on the save and load screens wasn't clear and it was difficult to work out what was going on in those caves, but they seem consistent.

Not having to get the Foxhound rank means he can be a bit more liberal with his choice of weapons, something he uses to achieve quick results in certain sections of the game. The strategies used to avoid enemies are all well-planned, and there aren't many mistakes. I wasn't sure how he was planning to approach some of the bosses, but they're all done quickly and efficiently.

It's an accept.

Quote:
Just watched the Kerotan rank improvement.

I couldn't make out the game time between saves or at the end due to the grainy quality.  Audio was fine.

Segment 1
Only part worth mentioning is the forced treatment section, which is pretty optimized.

Segment 2
Seeing how this is segmented I am expecting the time taken to aim the nade throws to be minimal, and none of the throws took more than a second to aim.  The time spent in the menu is minimal.

Segment 3
The throw at the end of the bridge takes ~1 second of aiming to get, which is perfectly understandable.

Segment 4
Fastest Ocelot unit I've seen.

Segment 5
Good fight against Ocelot.  Caves were hard to follow.

Segment 6
The Pain was taken down fast.  The swimming portions were also hard to follow like the caves, but seeing how they are not that difficult I don't have a problem with them.

Segment 7
Thus demonstrates the box is mightier than the pen.  The shot at the Kerotan (5:17) takes a little too long, the nade throws I can understand needing a second or two, but in a segmented run that close range shot should be <<1 second.  So far its the only thing I don't like, and its only a second.

Segment 8
The Failure (har har) took no time at all.

Segment 9
The End can be "beaten" by setting the clock of the PS2 ahead by a week, which the runner utilizes.  I don't know if they're timing issues with doing that, but I have no problem with it.

Segment 10
Super speedy.

Segment 11
The Fury is a joke in back story and in difficulty.  I've only done two casual speed runs of this game, and both of them had comparable fights against this clown of a boss.  Good segment.

Segment 12
Ivan is got quickly, very quickly.

Segment 13
Vid is all black at the start, wtf mannnn...
In all seriousness, its a good segment, especially The Sorrow.

Segment 14
Menus were speedy, and the glory that is the box is utilized to save even more chunks of time.  The C4 section was great.

Segment 15
Excellent Volgin fight, I didn't even know he could be taken down this fast.  The stun grenades let the motorcycle section be as fast as it can be.  Highlight segment so far.

Segment 16
Snake's got some moves on that bike.  Wore down a 1/3 of the Shagohod's hp, very nice.

Segment 17
Nice headshots on Volgin.  Escape was good.

Segment 18
I always hated the section with Eva, runner doesn't seem to have a problem.  Masterful CQC on The Boss.  Couldn't make out the end time.

Overall

I didn't see any routing issues, and the segments are pretty optimized.  I'm not gonna reject because a few frames were lost while aiming.  Not being able to make out the times between saves is a signifcant problem though, and really my only problem. Should that get checked out, its an accept from me. 

Quote:
finished watching the Kerotan run and i'm once again amazed at how this game plays from a speedrunner's point of view. AI abuse everywhere makes the game look funny and enjoyable. I actually enjoy Kerotan runs more than the normal foxhound runs due to the extra routes and such.

audio and video are synched, although the video is obviously in its low quality version, making the final time a bit blurry. I'm pretty sure it's around 1:12/22/32:xx so it's an obvious (and massive) improvement from the current 1:41 kerotan run.

I don't have anything else to say really, and i think the only possible improvement to such a near-perfect run like this is faster shooting at certain hard to hit kerotans. Other than that, this is a prime run that every fan of MGS should watch. Definite accept. Smiley

Quote:
Note to self: Get off my ass and actually verify this.

They're all amazing, and like the person a few posts above me said, there are new tricks everywhere. This keeps up, this will be Metal Gear Solid: Ocarina of Time. /shotforbadcomparison

Quality I thought was pretty damn good, and while there are some parts where it is hard to see things, it was great overall. Cheating? I believe the AI might call that, but this is legit ass-kicking right here. All the times surpass previous times, so it's already a big fat obvious accept from me.

The only thing I'm kinda eh on is The End with the "one week old age" thing, since that requires you to actually either wait a week or change the date and time on the system, but that's neither here nor there, these runs are freaking awesome. Every single MGS fan or SDA fan needs to watch these things, they're unbelievable

Now, excuse me, I have to go attempt a run and attempt to be half as good as this guy. I will likely fail.

Quote:
New Game run (including the glitch):

The route is planned well and pulled off quickly and carefully. The glitch certainly saves time, and the enemy AI and patrol routes are both used well for the normal sections. The bike sections are done with few delays, and the boss fights seem to be optimised for the equipment that's available. Everything's synched and it looks like there wasn't any cheating.

Accept.

New Game + run:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an updated version of this which includes the glitch, but anyway, it takes advantage of some of the New Game + features and uses similar techniques to avoid enemies. A few of the boss fights are quicker with the New Game + weapons, and generally it's a great run. The video's synched and it doesn't seem as if there was any cheating.

Accept.

Quote:
This is for the New Game run with the glitch that lets you pass through the wall,

Just as superbly routed and executed as the Kerotan Rank run.  Going through the wall is certainly a time saver (the segment is 47 seconds faster than the previous) and no individual shot or grenade throw took too long to aim.  So this is a conditional accept just like the Kerotan Rank, should the times between saves get checked out, its an accept from me. 

Decision: Accept

Reason: They're great improvements over some already amazing runs.
Thread title:  
(Z_Z).z.z.Z
It's time for a new run...and here it is (^^)...
This glitch is a small break in style...who cares...fantastic run and absolutely up to date!!

<3
Was this run posted on youtube, nico video, daily motion... does anybody know?
Thank you Take-Chan!! (^^)/