List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan7.html

SS 100% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Nailed the trick on Spring Man?  Instant accept.

As this was played on the Anniversary Collection, watching it makes me wonder if it should be a separate category, since various things load faster (there is some lag at a few points, but not many).  So if a SFC/SNES version run is done that is on this caliber and let's say it is 10-30 seconds slower, that should go alongside this version.

That being said, this blows the current run out of the water, so the old run should be removed.

Also, he should be paid the full $30 from TheQuietMan for the bounty, because Obdajr totally deserves every penny of it.  He needs it to take some lessons on how to properly shoot to the music.  LEARN FROM THE PROS, KID.

Accepting.

Quote from PJ:
This is PJ speaking.  I am really excited to see this run; this is one of the runs I have been anticipating the most.  I love this game, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves.  I'm glad to see it finally has some dedicated runners.  ^_^ Obdajr The runner always puts on quite a show with this game and category, so the finished product must be even better!  The runner was gracious enough to write pretty detailed comments so I don't have to say nearly as much.  I'm going to be pretty brief with most of this.

Intro:  This cutscene is way too long. Reject.  Very good health management though.  A fine start to the run.

Freeze:  In the ice cave portion with the icicle droppers on the ceiling, the runner could have foregone the use of rush coil over one of the gaps and just jumped it like a man.  That jump is stupidly difficult and he needs rush coil to get the rush plate at the end of the screen anyways so I don't fault him too much for that.  It could definitely cut some time off though.  Overall though, this is a solid level.  Aside from a few minor slip-ups (no pun intended), it went smoothly.

Burst:  I frequently commented on his crab kill in his stream.  With faster mashing he can die a few seconds sooner.  He mentioned that you have to wait for the bubble cycle anyways, but I seem to remember getting to the top while the bubbles were high once.  Obviously I trust him more than my memory (I was probably really really slow the one time I noticed a good bubble cycle), but I just felt like mentioning it anyways.  This level is a huge pain to run, but the runner makes it look easy.  This is a really slick run.

Cloud:  His comments cover everything.  This is a neat level, but every single room is a threat.  I didn't even know about the Cloud Jump when I was playing this game.  I just assumed that was impossible.  Needless to say, I am always impressed when I see that.  The Cloud Man fight is really easy to mess up badly, but he nailed it.

Junk:  Pretty straightforward stage.  Not much to say here.  Timing can probably be ended once he gets junk shield because it's just that game.  The rest of the game is inconsequential.

Museum:  Yea.

Turbo:  There were a few minor blips in this stage (getting bounced by a tire once, etc) but the biggest mistake was not shooting to the music during the rush search.  This would normally be immediate grounds for rejection, but I'll wait out the run before I make that call.  The boss fight was pretty ugly in some parts, but it's not a huge deal.

Shade:  Wow, what a great Proto pattern.  The pumpkin fights were ridiculous!  Very good stage!  MVP of this stage is the Junk Shield, though.  (nice snipe with the shield on the shield dude at the end, btw)

Slash:  I'm glad the runner remembered the power of shooting to the music.  Junk shield once again secures its position as MVP by getting a convincing 3HKO on the miniboss.  This weapon is so broken.  Scorch wheel, on the other hand, claims what I think is its first ever kill in the forest section.  Well done, scorch wheel.  Anyways, after the runner frees Beat (and apparently doesn't take him with him...poor Beat) he makes some really good dodges of the eggs in the last section.  They are way harder to avoid than they should be.  Slash Man was a bit of troll, but that is expected.

Spring:  BLAMMO!  Excellent job with the OHKO!  There was a slight mishap with the S.Adapter in the big spring room, but the rest of the stage was really clean.  In honor of noise crush's OHKO of Spring Man, it deserves MVP of this stage.  However, I'm giving MVP to junk shield anyways because it killed like every single enemy in this level without slowing down.  What the hell?  Who made this weapon?

Wily 1:  JUNK SHIELD!  Man.  It just steamrolls these levels.  More importantly, scorch wheel got another 3 kills and they were actually on useful enemies!  I think that triples scorch wheel's "most ever kills" record.  For that, I award scorch wheel the MVP of the stage.  The runner's comments are very accurate here: "Aside from messing up the Bass fight a little bit, this stage went really really well."  I approve.

Wily 2:  Nothing about junk shield is fair.  The runner's comments cover most of this stage.  It had some slop, but a lot of really good parts.  The Bass/Treble fight wasn't the best, but it was fair.  The runner lost a bit of time from missing the jump to the corner of the fire pillar right before the boss room.  He got bad boss luck, but it was a good fight with what he was given.  He could've killed him sooner if he had hit with a danger wrapped turtle I think (I don't recall how much damage that does).  Regardless, it was still a good stage overall.

Wily 3:  The invisible room generates SO MUCH LAG.  The runner mentions that the buster was the best way to get through it, but I had Yggdrizzle test slash claw in that room during one of his runs and it caused significantly less lag (and still killed stuff dead).  Might be worth considering if the runner chooses to do an any% run.  Everything else looked good.

Wily 4:  Refights are good.  Slash Man eggs were in fine form for the refight.  I can't help but think that the damage the runner took on Burst Man was punishment for not using scorch wheel.  Tongue  The final boss is such a prick.  I am glad he got crushed so bad.  Mega man has so much anger in these credits!  Man.  I guess he didn't like this game, either.

So yea.  This is a very obvious accept.  This beats the current run by like 10 minutes, was was super clean throughout.  As with all runs, there were a few minor errors here and there but this is a ridiculously good run.  Huge props to Obdajr the runner for a job well done!

Quote:
Let's see here...

Video/audio is good

Probably not gonna get into really minor stuff but here goes.

Intro Stage: Jeez, I forgot how long that intro was.

Freeze Man: Some impressive stuff there.

Burst Man: Wow, that stage execution.

Cloud Man: Man, I'm usually better at stating analyses.  More impressive stuff!

Junk Man: See above.

Museum: Man, that cutscene before this was a horrible speedrun, seeing as the stage itself was a good few seconds faster.  Cutscene, you are a disappointment.  (Also the fight wasn't too bad)

Turbo Man: A few minor mistakes here and there (And the finale of Turbo Man was... eh, but that's covered in runner's comments) but nothing too killing.

Shade Man: Okay, this run clearly gets an auto-accept from me for using the original stage music.  Clearly.  But seriously.  Stage played out well.

Slash Man: The boss was kinda meh but it's Slash Man.  And still not TOO bad.

Spring Man: Hi, Spring Man!  Bye, Spring Man!  As for the stage, aside from the one choke point at the beginning of the large room, nice stuff.

Wily 1: What?  No.  There can't actually be a practical use for Scorch Wheel.  I won't believe it!  Stage went well in general aside from a minor slipup on Bass.

Wily 2: Bass+Treble fight could have been better but not bad.  Stage was fairly good, and the turtle?  Well, pretty good actually.  Pulled off one danger wrap turtle (Probably my favorite thing in the game aside from the noise crush instakill), although the second miniturtle pattern was lame, unfortunately.

Wily 3: Stage was pretty good, although there were a few minor chokes on the noise crush trick.  Probably not much more than a few seconds lost.

Wily 4: Refights were fairly good aside from what was stated by the runner, and the final set was great.  Nice to see the most annoying Wily Capsule get such a come-uppance

With all that said, this was an amazing run and it deserves an accept easy.

Quote:
Video is good. Audio is a bit loud, but that could just be due to Anniversary Collection's crappy audio mix.

While the version difference does account for some of the time difference between this run and the current run, 90% of the improvement comes from better gameplay overall. There are tons of new strategies used, the highlight of which is definitely the Spring Man quick kill, and there's much less Super Adapter use when traveling on the ground. Very few big mistakes too. Biggest one is that one double jump the wrong way before getting the big bolt in Spring Man's stage, and that's maybe 5 seconds lost. I could go more in depth, but the runner's comments and the previous verifiers cover it pretty well.

I accept this run. Nice job Obdajr!

Quote:
Because of how things went in the mmx verification, I am gunna show DK28 that I can give a very detailed verification when I want to. Also know that this is going to be a very very very very very very SERIOUS verification from me.

Video: Med quality video is 320x240 at 59.940059 FPS. This is rather bull shit because I can see all the sub-pixel things I would like to. Even blowing the video up to 1080p does not help as the pixels are just blown up from the original resolution. So this means I will not be able to point out any sub-pixel things that could be improved... damn it

Audio: 44100 Hz is ok I guess... The sounds of jumping get annoying after a bit but nothing to reject over.

Start up and title screen: This is SLOW AS BALLS. The first 5 seconds were all text information and could have been cut out. So we are at a 5 second loss already. Then the Capcom logo and jingle played the entirety and is another 2 seconds waited time. WTF!?!? The title screen came up too? Damn it, follow X-Men clone wars for Sega and the game should start on the power up. Fuck this is looking bad already... Not to mention Capcom has its logo under another logo.

Intro stage: Intro talking is too long. It is 1:59 worth of time that could be taken out of the run as well. So right now we are 2:10 in the hole due to poor planning and the incapability of skipping "necessary" stuff... Wait, this is a 100% run... Fuck... Ok, I guess it is all needed then... Run a lower percent so we dont have to live threw that nonsense again... Really? The runner gets hit 2 seconds after game play starts, and no reset... And again 2 seconds later!!!! Then one second after that!!!! I think I already see a pattern here. I am not gunna fill this up with every time you get hit... Your not supost to give Bass a hug... Overall this stage can be improved by not getting hit BY EVERY enemy. But for some reason... I can see that being harder than it sounds. It is not like Mega Man can shoot lemons are anything like that...

Ok, I cant keep that up. I will drive myself crazy...

Freeze Man: (I look at this name and see Frezy_Man) I am sure that the jump into the screen transition can lead to landing on the ladder, I could be mistaken though. Ladder dancing style points... But it does cost time. WOW that lag on the last polar bear. The shots that are being wasted while Rush is digging counters the ladder dancing from before. Now back at 0 style points. This boss fight is frantic for both skilled and novice players. I personally like to use uncharged shots to eliminate and mistimed charge shots. This would only cost me about 2-3 seconds overall I believe where as if a not full charge shot goes off, then I would have wasted 2/3 seconds for each mess up. This fight had 1 uncharged shot go off so that time is lost. This might need to be looked into more for sure to see if my strat is as fast as I think it is, but I do know that full charge shots are faster. Overall this was a solid stage mostly due to ladder dancing, metallic balls, and 6 second boss improvement. old run more or less uses my strat so more time is lost that I thought.

Again, gunna not make my brain work as hard

Burst Man: Overall this was a very solid lvl. I feel that the runner was a bit hesitant in a few spost, but nothing major. And with what PJ said about the crab kill, I can kill him every time and make it to the top before the water lvl drops to have to wait. This should not be help against the runner though as not everyone can mash like it is a profession. So yes the time is lost, but it should be be held against the runner. They did the best they could and that is all that matters at that spot imo. I am not sure of the runners age, but as Master-88 once said:
Quote from MASTER-88:
Also i cannot make Omega quick kill. I trying it 2 & half hours but im not managed make it. Thats look i am going old and i cannot firing very fast a today. Years ago i did managed Omega quick kill around 25-50% of the time now my succesrate are 0%.
But yeah i am nearly 23 year old and my fingers are got slow. Sad
If you are older (age 23 and up) then this is excused for everyone (except for me, PJ, mikwuyma, frezy, AniMeowzerz, Flip, Jiano, Cosmo, runnerguy, and everyone else I have mashed with in the past). So I will say it again, this can be excused. Boss fight used is the one I came up with myself as well (last thing I will be able to note in this context, and in both cases I am not saying that I am the originator as I was not entirely too active in planning this run...) and is done perfectly. Good stuff overall.

Again, gunna go get a sandwich for this because I am hungry (looking up that damn quote took a lot of energy out of me, I am 25 years old after all). Also for that 1 person that wants to know: turkey, ham, mayo, cheese, bread and a 30oz plastic cup of water from the filter thing sitting in the fridge. If you want to know more, just ask you creeper. I do like my creepers though, makes me know I am not alone and am wanted

Cloud Man: Really cant say much about this. I think I saw 1 spot with hesitation and 1 unintentional hit. Boss was smooth I guess...

Ahh, there it is. Laziness at its finest. Took long enough.

Junk Man: Damn energy pellet. The first lava freeze could have went sooner I think like the second one (not waiting). Lag while on Rush. Boss was brutal. You know he is a pile of junk, so give him some slack. He is not up to par with the other robot masters. The only other thing I can bitch about is while in the elevator, you were doing pacifist strats then messed it up. I not be happy. Loss in style points.

Turbo Man: Lag as he was leaving the screen. Was it me or where you holding that bolt a bit longer that you should have. Kinda seemed like you were ready to put it some where but you went sure if it was gunna hurt or not. You did look excited though, just saying Wink . Wow, miss the ladder much right after. That bolt must have made you move a bit funny from feeling a bit weird. Crap luck on the truck and the boss could have been better.

*Yawn* Nap time for this old fart. Ill be back in a bit to finish up.

*4 hours later* Armed with more water and chicken penne alfredo, I am ready to get back at this.

Shade Man: Overall good stuff. At the start you take the hit just before you go down the ladder. I see that you want to get on the ground so you can slide asap, but would jumping over and not taking the hit be a bit faster? Close call and would not really matter in the long run. I do have a question about Protoman though. Does he have a health bar not shown or does he go by number of hits?

Slash Man: Neon Tiger wanna be...

Spring Man: Prolly only the real mistake in the run so far. Also style points are back to 0 again for the boss fight. Then immediately brought back to -1 for not being in the center of the screen for obtaining the power up.

Wily 1: I understand the "want" to kill the guy that fucked up your rhythm, but standing there and waiting for your junk to get off the screen, but you have the invincibility frames to just go on by. The first pit did not have anything popping out so it would have been safe. Timing on the boss could have been a bit tighter as well.

Wily 2: 3 really ugly shots on Bass... and a rather ugly room just before the boss... we are getting into the late game and it can be seen the tension in the game play...

Wily 3: And this stage is also fallowing suit. But this time it was only during the boss and the start of the stage. The rest went smooth.

Refights: Slash went ok, not bad nor good. Solid Freeze fight. Junk was just as good as before. Cloud went good. Turbo was fast. I dont think spring could have been faster. Shade kinda reminds me of Sting Chameleon by staying in the mid like that. It can been seen that the runner is getting nervous and is kinda jumping the gun against Burst. Wily 1 went good. Also, is it me or does the boss music sound like the music from Gradius. Wily 2 I feel can be a bit faster. I think 2 spring shots can be made in each cycle. But this is a good strat as is.

Overall: Reject. Sorry but all the lag, taking hits and the clearly visible nervousness near the end is just too much to allow this to be published.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All joking aside, this run is solid. Yes, some of the things I mentioned before are just for fun and some are legit, you figure it out. But honestly the nervousness of the runner was very visible in the game play when getting into Spring Man and almost every stage after. Cant blame the runner though, I get them dumb jitters as well, along with a bunch of other runners. This has been a LONG time in the making and it clearly has paid off. This is a clear improvement that topples over the current run. I think you know my answer here: I approve this run for SDA.

Side note: This took me 3 1/2 days to type up due to life in general. I have watched the run at least 6 times now...

Second side note: Better DK28?

Quote:
I haven't prepared a long analysis yet, but definitely accept - I watched him do this live.  He's streamed hundreds of attempts at this game, and it was awesome to finally see such a great run of it.

Quote:
I apologize for being the one to hold up this verification. I was going to try to write a big essay like all the other awesome people in this thread, but I just never got around to it. I did watch the run though, and it was quite a treat considering I didn't catch it live. Obda is such a slash beastleo. This is an obvious accept, seeing as it beats the SDA run by some stupidly large margin (~10 minutes or so). I timed it at 46:43, so the video title seems to be correct. Audio/video were fine. Congrats to Obda! Sorry my verification wasn't a good one, but the decision is fairly obvious at least. I don't know exactly how much time the AC version of this game saves, but the gameplay is so much better in this run that the old one should undoubtedly be removed, regardless of consideration for separate categories.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Shawn 'Obdajr.' Nakashima!
Thread title:  
Congrats Obdajr! I was just looking on SDA at the current run for a reference to help my own run attempts of this game, but I felt that one before wasn't the best I could get (no offense at all intended to the previous submitter). I'm looking forward to seeing this run posted.
dabes
Obda too gooooooood
=D thanks everyone~!
How come there's no mention of this being done on the Anniversary Collection on the game page nor in the run comments? AC has way faster text and a few other differences too. It should be noted on which version this run was done with (like MM3).
Quote from coolkid:
How come there's no mention of this being done on the Anniversary Collection on the game page nor in the run comments? AC has way faster text and a few other differences too. It should be noted on which version this run was done with (like MM3).

As far as I know, there are also some differences that make AC version slower than original (like more lag in some parts), but I agree that this should be noted on the game page.