List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan2.html

Seth 'I am Mega Man 2' Glass's run without zip glitches

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
I time it at 29:28, might be off by a second in either direction.  Previous was 30:33 as mentioned by the runner so this breaks it by a minute anyway.

Quick done Quake (ok, bad pun there) and burst your Bubble fights (both in-stage) were a bit slow but good enough to pass.  Interesting route selection which actually makes common sense (to take out Heat with Bubble since glitch-wise you don't have it).

Accept.  Why?  Nice shooting and it's a big improvement to a previously obsoleted category.

Quote:
29:29 seems to be the final time if I'm timing it correctly.

Vote to accept. For a non glitched run this was very well done, and quite the improvement over the previous run. There was no evidence of cheating. The flashman fight was outstanding, as was the usage of item 1 to cross the gaps on the airman stage. The placement of the crash bombs against the wily 4 boss was awesome.

The audio was slightly ahead of the video though.

Quote:
Hi. Seth's run is good. He even played the game with his dick in Bubble Man's stage, which I thought was pretty sexy. Unfortunately, he hasn't mastered doing that yet, so he made a few mistakes. If he just played that level with his hands, it would have been a perfect run. But I guess the game just bores him too much... he had to have fun somehow. It's what I'd do too if I were Seth Glass.

Quote:
At 22:59, at the beginning of Wily 3, the screen jumps up a bit. I'm willing to call foul play on this. I'll still review the run, though.

I also don't think the zipping glitches change the game enough to warrant a seperate category. I mean, this run is only about 30 seconds slower than the current record with zips. But enough about that.

Eyeballing it, this run is about a minute faster than Seth's 30:33. That's kinda surprising, as is the new route. It might not be all that perfect, though; the existing route is already really quick. Doing Flash Man first doesn't cost any time at all, and could save some time in the stages he does before Flash Man. Moreso Quick Man.

In addition to Time Stopper, Item 2 and Crash Bomb would've cut off a lot of time in Quick Man, as demonstrated in Seth's runs. That might outdo the perks this route has.

He missed twice on Quick Man and a couple times on Bubble Man. Air Man was a little icky too.

He got hung up on the ladder in the last room of Heat Man's stage. Perhaps he shouldn't fuck around so much.

He has a habit of using Item 2 as a platform to assist in climbing ladders and such. Technically, that is slower than using Item 1 (at least by frames) because Item 1 rises into the air while Item 2 only moves on the y axis.

He didn't OHKO Crash Man.

He doesn't handle the drill bits in Metal Man's stage properly. He should be using Leaf Shield to get rid of them without having to jump over them. Or at least shoot them with the Mega Buster.

In fact, based on the 30:33, it would be better to do Wood after Metal because Metal Blades make dealing with the monkeys much quicker. This would also give him more Item 2 for the Chocobo segment.

The Item 2 deal comes into play a lot in the Wily Stages. The first portion of Wily 1 felt slow. And it does leave him with less Item 2 to use in the other stages.

As with Metal Man's stage, he should have used Leaf Shield to deal with the drills in Wily 2. Time Stopper is better left for the spike crushers.

He should have used Item 2 for the room in Wily 4 at 25:30. In the room after that, he should have used Item 1 to cross the gap quicker. Even Item 2 would have sufficed. Just use something.

He used too many Crash Bombs on the Wily 4 boss. The two rightmost walls can be blown up with one Bomb, and the middle one doesn't need to be blown up at all.

My first impression of the run, believe it or not, was that it was sloppy and the strategies used were slower than runs past. Some of that is true, but most of my gut reactions were proven wrong after looking at both the zip run and the 30:33. This runner knows what he's doing, performs well, and even cleans up minor errors the other runs had. There's not enough to reject the run based on gameplay, so I accept, as I'm sure every other verifier did.

Rather, I would accept if it weren't for that shift in Wily 3 (Mike's note: it has something to do with the recording). Call me paranoid, but something's fishy about it. I want to make sure that that isn't a sign of cheating.

Quote:
No cheating, deaths, or major technical issues. The v copy had some extra VHS cruft on the beginning and end that could probably stand to be clipped off.

This run is like TAS.

I don't remember how to get at the old zipless run so I can't compare them side by side, but not even accounting for the time difference this run is incredibly solid and deserves to go up. I had to kick on my console and check to see how hard some of the tricks were, since some of them I didn't recall seeing before. Mistakes are few and minor. The only dubious action I saw was waiting for the final platform in wily 4 instead of using the last of item 2 to fly across, but maybe the extra weapon switch makes up for the waiting. If it were anything other than a minor quibble I'd go check it myself, but for now I'll either let it slide or trust the runner's judgment on that.

Accepted with a gold star.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's Seth Glass
Thread title:  
I don't even know what the fuck this is
I'm sorry, but the fourth verifier is a fucking idiot.
Visually Appealing
well fuck you too.

it looked suspicious; i just wanted to make sure.
You got a deletion wish?
Sat, I wouldn't have guessed that was you.  Not usually my yak.  If anyone hasn't guessed yet, #1 is me.
Visually Appealing
it was the proper capitalization that threw you off, wasn't it?
Edit history:
Tiki: 2009-08-03 11:27:55 pm
I just don't think that any of your suggestions are improvements. A lot of them involve extra weapon switches that would cost more time than they save. This isn't mm9. And ofc the new route is faster. Sad

Example:
Quote:
As with Metal Man's stage, he should have used Leaf Shield to deal with the drills in Wily 2. Time Stopper is better left for the spike crushers.

Think about it. He has to switch to Leaf Shield to take out the drills, then switch to Item 3 to get up the thing, then use Flash Stopper to pass the crushers. Instead, he cuts a weapon switch and gets up the thing a bit faster with item 1. The time lost on the crushers was pretty minimal. I could do some emulator testing to show this, and I'm pretty sure I could do it for almost every single one of your other suggestions.

Oh, and
Quote:
He used too many Crash Bombs on the Wily 4 boss. The two rightmost walls can be blown up with one Bomb, and the middle one doesn't need to be blown up at all.

He had no item 1, so he had to blow the middle wall. By doing this, he didn't need to blow up the two rightmost walls, he just needed to do one of them.
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Satoryu:
it was the proper capitalization that threw you off, wasn't it?

Nah.  Plus I usually don't try to guess who the other verifiers are.
as for the wily 4 boss

Do not forget that in the old runs an Item-1 was used to jump to the top and begin killing the Wily 4 boss. I chose not to do this, not because I wasn't going to have enough item-1, but because it is simply slower. Consider the amount of time it takes for an item-1 to 'run out', not to mention the extra menu change. Just staying on crash and killing the first wall is much faster. (If you're not going to jump up via an Item-1 or Item-2 then killing the first wall is necessary).

It is possible to jump up using the Item-2, or placing an Item-1 in such a way that it runs into a ceiling. But again, I'm not sure if this would be faster or not, considering an extra menu change, the time it takes for the Item-1 to crash, and also losing that Item-1 where it could have been used somewhere else. And the item-2 placement is pretty tricky, there isn't as much room in there as it looks.

Some other things...

-Item-2 used in Quickman's stage actually loses you time (as it does when used in Flashman's stage, like Ureta did). The 2 extra menu changes alone cost more than the time saved flying. This was tested with TAS programs (by Bablo and I) with perfect menu changes, so it would lose even more time considering real time changes are slower. In fact, it is not possible to speed up flash man's level at all. Only the boss fight could be sped up by using metal blades or crash bombs (crash bombs only being possible on normal mode).

-As far as I know Flash man/Item-3 can only save time in Heatman's stage or Crashman's stage, both of which are played after flash man is defeated.

-The problem with using metal blades in Woodman's stage, again, is you'd be adding another menu change, and also negating time saved by using the Item 2 to to jump up the ladder. It would be F>M M>I2 I2>H as opposed to F>I2> I2>H. Although metal blades would save time if you looked at that section alone, you would lose time in the end.

-The beauty of this boss order is using quick boomerang to kill bubble man. Quick boomerang is actually a secondary weapon to kill Bubble, twice as slow as metal blades but twice as fast as M-Buster. Item-2 actually saves very little time in bubble man's stage anyways (not even a second), and it is only a little slower to use M-Buster to kill the big fish than killing them with metal blades. This way, you have bubble to kill heat man, you are able to get the Item-1 rather early (early means before Air or Crash, the only 2 levels where it can save time), and the Item-2 is gotten before Crash/Metal/Wood, the only places where it can save significant time.

As far as I know, this is the fastest route. It is possible there is something that I haven't thought of, but it is without a doubt faster than F H A C Q M B W, any boss route that beats air man before heat man, or any route that beats metal man before flash man.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Saw run on youtube and it is just unreal.

@Verifier 4: Don't hate, appreciate.
Let the music play!
Any chance of a link to the youtube video? Thanks in advance.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Toothache:
Any chance of a link to the youtube video? Thanks in advance.

Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from andrewg:

Tiki656 (1 month ago)
(Comment removed by Author)

Ha ha, why am I not surprised?

With regards to this run, if it's on Youtube first, I wait until it goes up on SDA before I watch it, but I just couldn't resist in this case. All I can really say is that this was my face through out most of it: Shocked
Personally, I felt this run was a huge let-down considering the time that was achieved. The run uses ladder warping, too, which kinda goes against this category (it's more benefitting and glitch-like than death glitching, for one). I also have trouble stomaching the fact that after all that debating it was declared that this category is pointless, only to have the decision reversed for no apparent reason (the extent of zipping glitches was well known and didn't evolve much during this time). In fact the exact opposite was proven; the difference isn't that great.

An arbitrarily ruled run for an obsoleted category, albeit an extremely well made one, offers very little new. I really can't see why the decision to reinstate this category was made.
Actually, the 29:02 is pretty outdated. I don't really have an opinion on the rest of what you said, though.
I'd like to see a run that's not on easy mode.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from scaryice:
I'd like to see a run that's not on easy mode.

Nah, that just makes the game more annoying.
The Dork Knight himself.
I'm calling epic fail on this run for 2 reasons:

1) He grabbed health
2) No chickens

That is all.
Fucking Weeaboo
I know MD9.  But there's a better way to put it.

"Do YOU think you can do better?  I didn't think so, so shut up." Tongue
Quote from MegaDestructor9:
Quote from Lord_VG:

That's pathetic man. Don't just come in here to tell me to shut up.

Maybe I'm a bit overly sensitive since I've run the game myself and know what a great run it is and the luck involved in it. I guess I get to look forward to you guys expressing your contempt for my future run. Now I know why Trevor doesn't submit his run here.

I don't think that was aimed at you. I think he was saying you could've just said "Do YOU think you can do better?  I didn't think so, so shut up" rather than your longer post.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote:
(02:22:01) romscout: i dont see why people would generally be against separately categorizing glitches that significantly change the way a game's played
(02:22:18) JOE_THE_PLUMBER: I don't either

in this case it changes boss order and can make possibly 90-100 seconds difference (basing this on seeing MD9's glitch abuse run that was a little bit shoddy outside of mastering the glitches) so it seems like a "duh" for having it be a seperate category

it'd be like saying a magnet beam zip +  select pause glitch + going through walls run of MM1 that could possibly go sub-20 should be in the same category as trevor's runs, that'd be dumb

btw thanks for the youtube link, this run is godly for a ss
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from MTGjumper:
Quote from Lord_VG:

That's pathetic man. Don't just come in here to tell me to shut up.

Maybe I'm a bit overly sensitive since I've run the game myself and know what a great run it is and the luck involved in it. I guess I get to look forward to you guys expressing your contempt for my future run. Now I know why Trevor doesn't submit his run here.

I don't think that was aimed at you. I think he was saying you could've just said "Do YOU think you can do better?  I didn't think so, so shut up" rather than your longer post.

Oh, I understand (sorry Lord_VG, I've misunderstood people before). But still my point was the disrespect of the run and even saying that the category was pointless.

Which is the point exactly.  Why don't more people do like oh, this instead of WHINEBITCHMOAN.
I am ashamed at some of the comments about this run. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to make a run like this? He's submitting a run to this site and getting feedback talking about what a let-down and disappointment it is. I can see criticizing the run but these kind of comments do not support the runner. This category is not pointless, many people would enjoy this "no zip/death" run more than one with those glitches.

I can't help but think you got the wrong idea about my post. Let's read my post together; I'll reiterate all my points and try to explain it in more detail so that there's no room for misinterpretation. I hate explaining myself (especially since I consider my points valid and clear enough for the topic at hand), but I'll do it anyway because it's for you (and Seth in case he feels the same way).

Quote from 65:
Personally, I felt this run was a huge let-down considering the time that was achieved. [This run offers almost nothing new, and while the time was incredible (when you take into account the rules imposed to this run) and there is no doubt the runner is highly skilled, I can't help but to feel it was a watered down version of what a MM2 run is, much like I would feel if someone submitted a highly skilled and lucky buster-only run] The run uses ladder warping, too, which kinda goes against this category (it's more benefitting and glitch-like than death glitching, for one). [The runner uses similar glitches that are banned in this type of run, but to a lesser extent. Also, this glitch is considerably more benefitting as a whole than the death glitch that people seem mention often. Why this was accepted when the others are banned I don't know for sure.] I also have trouble stomaching the fact that after all that debating it was declared that this category is pointless, only to have the decision reversed for no apparent reason (the extent of zipping glitches was well known and didn't evolve much during this time). [Mikwyuma reversed his earlier decision to not to make this a separate category and gave a half a sentence reasoning as to why he did that, IIRC saying the extent of these glitches had been changed to more severe (while in fact only one or two new places had been found in the mean time at most)] In fact the exact opposite was proven; the difference isn't that great. [There's a two-minute difference at most and the current runs are even of about the same length. I know the route was changed somewhat and the Wily stages work a tad differently, but it's not set in stone that both of these routes are optimal; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the route was changed once more for either or both... categories. I wouldn't worry about the lack of categories, in any case; Mega Man 2 has 16 possible categories even without a glitch category (deaths/segments/difficulty/region), out of which at least four or six is more than likely to happen if people really want to start filling in different categories (deaths&normal, deaths&difficult, deathless&normal, deathless&difficult and PAL equivalents of those).]

An arbitrarily ruled run for an obsoleted category, albeit an extremely well made one, offers very little new. [It upsets me to see skill, hmm... "wasted" in this fashion. Having a run made for a category that could be abolished by a quirk of the administration. I suppose it specifically gets to me because THE RUN IS SO WELL MADE (in what it does) but could be obsoleted by whatever if mikwuyma feels like it.] I really can't see why the decision to reinstate this category was made. [In my opinion Mike Uyama fucked up thoroughly with this one. If you make a decision then stick with it unless there's a considerable need to revise that statement. Seth's first glitched run apparently wasn't since the verifiers were explicitly told it would not qualify as a separate category] [I won't be listing the reasons here why the decision should be made either way; check out the older consoles mega man thread for details if you wish.]

Well, that turned out to be rather lenghty. I suppose I'll have to check in later in case it needs revisions.
bläää
I think the differences of the categories make sense and also a lots of people want to see a run of both the categories. SDA holds the run simply because it will get a lots of downloads. Mega man 2 is also a very popular game with a lots of fans. Even the most sold in the series.

I think this run is a real gold-star run. Definitely on of the best performed runs in the genre/on the console/in the series... Even in my eyes; it might be the most impressive Mega man run on the site. And I was really surprised that Seth could get all those time savers together to get the final time this low.
I could find corners that could be cut a little bit faster but I have hard to find spots were it is possible to save a second except for a few boss fights that is very random.

A bunch of new very tiny details everywhere. The boss fights was great too. Quick Man, Bubble Man and Air man fights in total was well done even if those fights could have been faster.
The route for the long ladder part in crash mans level was new to me and also that new strategy on Wiley 2 was great even if I cant tell how much time it did save right now.

It looked like you tried to kill Crash man in one shot but I can not tell. Or did you plan to kill him in one shot? When I experimented with this I found an easy way to kill him consistently in one shot. The secret for me was to do like you but make sure to stop moving right before blow the whirlwind bullets. IIRC, my rate for successful Crash man fights was almost 100 %.

Edit: Small ladder zips like those used in this run should be allowed. They are very small and so easy to do so that beginners make them by mistake. and it would also be to hard to tell if it is a ladder-zip or not.