My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MaxPayne.html

Nigel 'ridd3r' Martin's single-segment Dead on Arrival run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: jewyama: watched the Max Payne run
Verifier: looks like authentic SS, hardest difficulty
Verifier: there's a single death in act 2
Verifier: he dies at the start of the level and uses the autosave to restart the level
Verifier: I reckon he lost 15, 20 seconds due to that
Verifier: and it's a shame because the death was such a retarded mistake
Verifier: the run overall is pretty impressive, especially considering the highest difficulty
Verifier: he used most of the known shortcuts, and his fighting looks insanely cool at times
Verifier: he tries to minimise the bullet time usage
Verifier: although he kills too many enemies in the first and second act
Verifier: at least in my opinion
Verifier: considering the fact rolling makes you effectively invincible and is marginably slower than normal running, he could skip killing some enemies and end up saving some time
Verifier: that, and he uses bullet time unnecessarily on occassion (in the first two acts, too)
Verifier: in the third act killing almost all enemies is actually mandatory if you want to survive, so I can't blame him for that
Verifier: the fact act 3 is no-death is pretty impressive on its own
Verifier: it's a good SS of a PC game, not exactly a common sight
Verifier: so I'm willing to let some small flaws slide, it's a good run and I accept it

Quote:
The Max Payne speed run is really good. Audio and video are clear and there is no cheating.

Quote:
There was nothing wrong with the audio or video and no syncing problems.

There was no cheating.

This is a very good run. Without the death, its nearly flawless. Even with the death, there are only a few seconds lost. Planning was obviously very well done. Shooting was accurate and a variety of guns were all used effectively. One of the best strategies was shooting to tougher enemies to get them to stop moving and then go for head shots after they became stationary. One thing I thought was funny was that there were little mistakes on the stairs the first two times the runner was in Max's house. Other than those two and the obvious death, the run is extremely clean and well-executed.

Recommendation: Approve

Quote:
Let's see - video/audio quality is very good, no problems with it. There are no signs of cheating.

As for the gameplay, it was top-notch. The route is both well planned and masterfully executed. The runner killed only those enemies he had to, and fluently avoided those who didn't have to die (apart from VERY FEW exceptions, wich were probably done in order to collect more ammo anyway). His aiming was mostly excellent. The usage of bullet-time is for the most part as smart as possible. There is one death at the very beginning of one level, and so it costs not even 10 seconds. Some minor flaw here and there, but nothing serious, and some of these would be acceptable even in multi-segment run.

There's not much more to say, really. This run is simply a showcase of great skill and also big portion of luck (at certain parts). I haven't seen an SS run this good and impressive in a long time. Pretty much excellent, highly enjoyable and very entertaining.

Speedrunning at it's best. Definitely accept.

Quote:
This run has no signs of cheating and is of good quality.  Everything was well planned out and executed fairly well.  Except for one thing, the only real problem with this run, the one death.  Given that it happened late in the game and very little time was lost this one death is very acceptable.  Even with this death this run is faster than the previous run the runner wanted to submit.  I don't see much to improve on in this run, except using less bullet time/taking more risks and of course less deaths.

ACCEPT

Decision: Accept

Reason: The death seems to be the only significant mistake with the run, and it only costs about 10 seconds.
Thread title:  
Hope rides alone.
Congrats! Cheesy
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-03-24 02:13:12 pm
we have lift off
Grin This should be up to view sometime today somewhere on the internet. Thanks to all the verifiers, I agree with the vast majority of the comments. Didn't realise there were so many verifiers, only had to wait a few days for mike to tell me he had got enough as well.

Quote:
and it's a shame because the death was such a retarded mistake

lol, yeah the death was annoying.

Quote:
although he kills too many enemies in the first and second act

I'm not convinced of this , it may look like I can skip enemies in some places but it would seriously increase the risk of getting shot and killed. Definitely there is one place which springs to mind where I kill enemies for guns which allows me to deal with a boss properly, whereas this place could have been skipped.

Quote:
considering the fact rolling makes you effectively invincible and is marginably slower than normal running, he could skip killing some enemies and end up saving some time

It doesn't make you as invincible as you might think, especially on dead on arrival. If you don't roll in the right places you can still get hit and I found instances of the enemy waiting until you had finished rolling to then one shot you with a shotgun. In NYM you can definitely get away with a lot more.

Quote:
that, and he uses bullet time unnecessarily on occassion

Probably in a couple of places, its just so damn hard to kill without using bullet time.

Quote:
the fact act 3 is no-death is pretty impressive on its own

Yet I die in one of the easiest places, like you said retarded. Like I said in the discussion thread, I was just so pleased with how the rest of the run went.

Quote:
One thing I thought was funny was that there were little mistakes on the stairs the first two times the runner was in Max's house

Yep, only on a run that would go on to the end would this happen. I found a way to consistently make the jump.....which then didn't work on this run.
fucking .gif....
:O

I can't wait for this to get up!
Run, you pigeons. It's Robert Frost!
That's what she said.
Balls jerky
Zing!
we have lift off
Alas you make a mockery of my verification page, lol! Tongue
Run, you pigeons. It's Robert Frost!
If it makes you feel better, I will be watching this run.  Smiley
Invisible avatar
Quote from ridd3r.:
Quote:
although he kills too many enemies in the first and second act

I'm not convinced of this , it may look like I can skip enemies in some places but it would seriously increase the risk of getting shot and killed. Definitely there is one place which springs to mind where I kill enemies for guns which allows me to deal with a boss properly, whereas this place could have been skipped.

Quote:
considering the fact rolling makes you effectively invincible and is marginably slower than normal running, he could skip killing some enemies and end up saving some time

It doesn't make you as invincible as you might think, especially on dead on arrival. If you don't roll in the right places you can still get hit and I found instances of the enemy waiting until you had finished rolling to then one shot you with a shotgun. In NYM you can definitely get away with a lot more.

I was mostly rambling about the first act - I played the game a lot back in the day and it seemed to me some kills were unnecessary considering the magnitude of protection rolling gives. I agree killing more enemies in act 2 and most enemies in act 3 is practically mandatory, because indeed, rolling stops being the 'no damage' power.

Don't fret though, I'm the 'mr every flaw needs to be picked' around, I really enjoyed the (damn impressive) run, and the flaws I noticed were pretty small. That death, though... Wink
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-03-25 05:39:40 pm
we have lift off
Quote:
I was mostly rambling about the first act - I played the game a lot back in the day and it seemed to me some kills were unnecessary considering the magnitude of protection rolling gives.

If you followed the thread I made you can see I did two previous no death runs and it wasn't until I had done and looked at them that I realised all the room for improvement, obviously at the time I was getting better and better allowing me to take more risks. So I'm sure there are a few areas where I could maybe take more risks. I knew this run was pretty damn optimised though when I had some peace in my mind, not constantly thinking up new strategies after viewing the run.

Quote:
Don't fret though, I'm the 'mr every flaw needs to be picked' around, I really enjoyed the (damn impressive) run, and the flaws I noticed were pretty small. That death, though... Wink

I know right? Its like that death just doesn't belong in the run along with everything else that went so well but thats what happens when you start thinking too far ahead. My mind was full thinking of a place I had died on that level in a previous attempt. Anyway I can live with an 8 second death much easier than hours of attempts to do this run again and probably end up with a slower time. Especially now, I haven't played the game in a few weeks!

Quote:
I agree killing more enemies in act 2 and most enemies in act 3 is practically mandatory, because indeed, rolling stops being the 'no damage' power

Yeah apart from p2c1 I barely skip any enemies, like in p2c3 you have to kill everyone in that first room as I need to do that jump, thank god for no scope shooting with the sniper rifle 8)