1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MaxPayne.html

A single-segment Dead on Arrival run done by that guy who always plays the same game. (I love you too :-*)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: btw, Max Payne
Verifier: there's no inconsistency, as I've already written
Verifier: it's a good run, improvement, accept
Verifier: not much else to say about it
Verifier: it's pretty impressive
Verifier: and a good single segment

Quote:
I had to test some things out throughout the gameplay, but it's a definate go for me.

Here's my comments for the speedrun.

----------------------------------------------------
From my own experience, the difficulty-level of the game on Dead on Arrival is terribly hard, so this is definately going to be interesting.

Also for the unknowning, there's a triggered bullet-time you can use to kill people easier and whenever you use it, time goes alot slower. You gain

more of this from killing people.

The engine can also be used to speed Max up by rolling, so that is why you'll see alot of rolling in this game.

Audio and video doesn't seem to have any problems at all.

Chapter 1.1

no comments. This being a single-segment it leaves very very little for improvement. A second or two could be saved by sparing the painkillers, but

they're easily some of the easiest to get during the game and they're probably needed later on. Seems like he uses rolling to avoid gunfire, when

rolling you can steer around corners so you can actually skip alot of places this way.

Chapter 1.2

Skips a tough scene in the end by rolling. Very clever made. Don't think there's any room for improvement.

Chapter 1.3

Holy crap, that was a very impressive segment. Abuses rolling and bullet-time to it's fullest. These crooks had no clue what was hitting them. Very

impressive segment. Don't think there's room for improvement here neither.

Chapter 1.4

Misses a superjump a few times in the end, but this is also mentioned in his notes. But all in all, a very impressive chapter that is quite

luck-based. Alot of enemies but rolling keeps him on top.

Chapter 1.5

A clarifying comment that others might miss. at the last 0.1 secs of chapter 1.4 he actually uses painkillers, so that is why he starts the next

segment with more health. (apparently it generates through chapter even though the healing is actually over time..) I tested this and it is confirmed.

If you use painkillers the exact moment before you go to the cutscene between the chapters, you start the next level with the amount of health the

painkiller gave you.

A very impressive chapter as well. He misses 0.5 secs by missing the gasbarrel during the segment. You shoot it and it launches through the room

breaking down a wall, but this is nothing to really write home about.

Chapter 1.6

Misses a superjump in the beginning a few times. Also noted by himself. Some very impressive rolling through the apartment close to the end. Passes 3

guys without getting hit and still being aware of where the window is.

Chapter 1.7

Alot of luck involved with bypassing all the enemies in the beginning, even though some of they are at a pretty long range, they still snipe with a

beretta with ease. Spends an extra second getting some Ingram-ammo but it's well spend. Bossfight in the end, dead within a split second.

Chapter 1.8

Uses 3 attempts on a superjump during the chapter again. But these can be really tricky, so no big deal at all. Skips the curtain-scene in a very

impressive and new way I hadn't thought of before. Basically avoiding all the enemies below. Rolls above the curtain, rolls to the button, clicks it

and jumps back up again. Perfect super jump a few seconds later. This is turning out to be one kickass chapter. I must say, I am very impressed by the

overall skill.

CHapter 1.9

Almost perfect superjump near the start of the level. Makes the whole damn level alot easier, otherwise you'd had 100 people shooting you from 8

different angles. Jack Lupino is dealt with within a mere 3 seconds, lol - I actually laughed.

Dream-labyrinth

No enemies here, you just need to pass it as fast as possible basically. Skips it very nicely with rolling and jumping through the dark areas.
Otherwise, I don't think there's anything improvable in this segment unless a huge time-saver is found somewhere.

Chapter 2.1

A pretty tough segment as you start out without any weapons besides melee. This is being made a mockery with the first kill where he gets ingram which

is arguably the best weapon in the game due to its speed and rate of fire.

Bar-scene is dealt with easily, even though this one can be a little tough as well.

Chapter 2.2

Same thing going on here with the health as mentioned in an earlier chapter. It might seem like an inconsistency to some, but read the explanation

above.

Perfect superjump again used here. Lets you get out of bounds and skip a part of the level. Another superjump used to get back in. I am very

impressived with his ability to use these, as I think they're super hard.

Chapter 2.3

Superjump used early in the beginning to skip a staircase. And again 30 seconds later to pass a part of the game where you drive around in a crane or

whatever it's called. Also, when he's out of bounds he can "run in the water". I wouldn't consider it entirely out of bounds but he definately skips

what I consider a slow part of the scene by doing it this way. Saves alot of time.

Chapter 2.4

No comments. Saves time a few seconds in the fire by using different objects to jump on and from.

Chapter 2.5

Uses a superjump to bypass some stairs in the level again.

Dream-labyrinth

Again uses rolling to keep the pace up. During the black part of the labyrinth he skips quite some time by rolling down in stead of following the

route which he's supposed to.

Chapter 3.1

Between segment 2.5 and segment 3.1, he gains full life (had almost full in the end of 2.5) and loses his 4 painkillers. Again, I had to play up to

this point and I've had it confirmed that everything is in order here.

Besides my first point, this was an awesome chapter really. I don't think there's anything improvable here, really. Very very nicely done. In the next

chapters it is likely he will spend more time killing people as the armaments they will use _can_ be single-bullet kills, so avoidance and more

killing is becoming prioritised over speed a little, I suppose.

CHapter 3.2

Very nicely done segment as well. Takes no hits during the segment even though it is a pretty tough one with alot of marines wearing colt commandos.

Very very impressive segment. This is by far turning out to be one heck of a single-segmented run.

Chapter 3.3

A pretty straightforward chapter, nothing to say about this one. No time is obviously wasted on anything. But either way, at times he shows

pixel-precise aiming on buttons and kills, makes it very interesting to see. It goes show the amount of effort and tries that went into making this.

Chapter 3.4

The garage, my favourite part of the game! - An interesting part of the game meant as there's LOADS of enemies in this one, alot of them using weapons

that can kill you in a splitsecond. Nevertheless he runs past a couple of them with bullets flying around his ears. You'll notice near the end he

spends time on killing a guy with a Jack-Hammer. Basically the jackhammer is an automized shotgun that literally can tear you apart within a

splitsecond. Besides this, he throws a couple of grenades who has a pretty big area of effect damage, so his choice of passing this was really well

planned with the grenades. To give an idea, it took me almost 20 tries just passing this guy and this speedrun is a single segment, so that's pretty

cool.

Chapter 3.5

uses a few tries for a superjump, but it's one heck of a time saver. So basically, this chapter is done in 45 seconds, which is just silly. The only

thing improvable here would be the superjump which is still hard to do and the shooting of the laser tripwires, but hey - it's literally 1 second

wasted or so.

Chapter 3.6

Superjump exactly at the beginning skips some good time as well. Very well done. Uses a nice trick to skip some time later as well, jumps from one

story to another by hanging on to the edge, saves some time. Very well done, I hadn't seen that before. Again, a chapter being made a mockery of.

Chapter 3.7

Starts the segment off with 13/123 Commando bullets, this might seem odd but you actually gain an extra 100 bullets when passing the previous chapter,

so that's the reason why It might seem like inconsistency, but really isn't.

-

Wastes a few seconds in the beginning superjumping, but those are major timesavers. I just thought, dying in the elevator would suck so bad. lol

Pretty sweet rolling during a hard part of the segment with bullets flying around his ears.
Not too much to say more about this segment.

Chapter 3.8

Not too much to say about this segment really. Pretty straightforward one.

It is a definate go for me, I have to say I was impressed with this single-segment speedrun. It really shows the amount of effort, skill and

dedication that went into making this. A fine addition to the website.

Thumbs up for me.

Quote:
Well, what can I say? Max Payne bent over and raped everything in his path like fresh meat in a prison shower. He took more risks than Evil Knievel and didn't break a single bone (of his own anyway).

Audio/Video: Perfectly fine, no sync issues
Cheating: Luck hax were definitely used

The amount of obstacles the runner needed to overcome were insane (bullshit insta-kills, getting killed by the game when it gets confused as to where you're standing, etc) but to make things even better he used incredibly hard tricks and skips. Just the fact that he only got 3 completed runs in a 5 month span shows how hard of a feat this is.

If this run isn't accepted, I'll personally kill a puppy dog everyday for a year. You don't want to be responsible for a puppy dog's death, do you?

Decision: Accept

Reason: Don't worry, the puppies will be safe. On the other hand, the kitties...
Thread title:  
we have lift off
Thanks for verifying guys (dex, Ferneu and honorablyJay?)

Quote:
A single-segment Dead on Arrival run done by that guy who always plays the same game. (I love you too )

World of Goo, Grappling Hook and Half-life2: Episode 2 bitch! ( :-*)

There's not much for me to comment on really, I just look forward to it going on SDA and hope people enjoy it.

Quote:
If this run isn't accepted, I'll personally kill a puppy dog everyday for a year. You don't want to be responsible for a puppy dog's death, do you?

I had nothing to do with this.
Dragon Power Supreme
Congrats ridd3r! Can't wait to see the run up Cheesy
Verified verifier and hangaround :)
Quote from ridd3r.:
Thanks for verifying guys (dex, Ferneu and honorablyJay?)

Quote:
A single-segment Dead on Arrival run done by that guy who always plays the same game. (I love you too )

World of Goo, Grappling Hook and Half-life2: Episode 2 bitch! ( :-*)

There's not much for me to comment on really, I just look forward to it going on SDA and hope people enjoy it.

Quote:

I had nothing to do with this.

Np, dude Smiley even though I am neither of those, I was the one with the insane long comments Smiley
Amazing run and informative commentary.  Might have to run through Max Payne again now.
Willing to teach you the impossible
I really like the commentary. Overall it was fun to watch. Grats.

Oh, and I do the same thing. I can easily let the ending of a game go my because of celebration  Wink
we have lift off
Quote from krael:
Np, dude Smiley even though I am neither of those, I was the one with the insane long comments Smiley

Oh my bad, thanks for verifying anyway Smiley

Quote from Otter:
Amazing run and informative commentary.  Might have to run through Max Payne again now.

Thanks, yeah it's definitely a fun game to pick up again. I actually tried beating the Remedy par time very recently for fun using no super jumping and more importantly no rolling (not even in fights)! I'm really not sure if they intended no rolling to be honest but I did part 1 in one go and beat their time by about 30s. Certainly compared with other games their par time is actually pretty fast (assuming no skips). I'd like to play through it with the storyline again at some point though.