List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarbleMadness.html

Andrew 'andrewg' Gardikis's run

Quote:
Video/Sound Quality:

There's a slight screen wrap at the top of the screen at the beginning of the first stage, but not sure if that's the video or the NES.

In the silence between stages you can hear music from other stages faintly.  Knowing this was recorded on VHS this is probably left over from previous recorded attempts.  Not sure if nate can fix this or not.

Cheating:

No cheating, perfectly legit play.

Play Quality:

Overall, very, very good.  No deaths is plenty impressive in itself, and all the moreso considering he's going at breakneck speed.  There are a few tiny errors here and there, but nothing too costly.  The wand is unfortunate, but purely luck based, so forgivable.  There is one shortcut in level 5 he didn't take, but it's quite hard to pull off and only saves a couple seconds.  There's also one place in level 5 where i'm not sure if he took the fastest route (right before the birds I think it's faster to go left than right, but I may be wrong here), and again, it's a matter of a second or two.

Really, I think the most important thing to consider here is the fact that this blows the incumbent run out of the water.  I've heard people call the current run "deliberate", which I think is very fitting.  This run is not at all deliberate.  There's no waiting for the first wave to pass in level 3, he braves the pistons in level 4, and he doesn't wait for a new cycle on the disappearing platforms in level 6.  Those were my 3 biggest gripes with the old run and because of those I was tempted to try and improve it personally.  I'm not tempted to go after this run, it's really solid from start to finish.

Provided the residual sound stuff can be taken care of, I see no reason not to accept it.

Quote:
Cheating: No cheating at all

Video Quality: Good

Audio Quality: Good

Gameplay: Very good

There isn’t really that much to say about this run except… that it’s awesome.
Well there is some room for improvement, but not much at all.

In conclusion:
Very straightforward speedrunning at its best

Final verdict: Accepted

Quote:
Excellent! Near perfection.

No noticable sound/video issues

Its too bad about the wand, but really there is maybe 4-5 secs improvement on the whole game. Awsome.  Grin

Quote:
Consider this thing verified.  Obscene skill, combined with only 1 wand makes this tough to beat.  Sheer awesomeness.

Another verifier contacted me on AIM, he basically echoed what everyone else said, the run is an awesome improvement and very optimized, but the wand sucked.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run crushes the current run, and the only significant mistake is an event that is dependent on luck (the wand).
Thread title:  
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Awesome! Thanks guys! The comments were greatly appreciated.  8)

Quote from mikwuyma:
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarbleMadness.html

Andrew 'andrewg' Gardikis's run

Quote:
There is one shortcut in level 5 he didn't take, but it's quite hard to pull off and only saves a couple seconds.  There's also one place in level 5 where i'm not sure if he took the fastest route (right before the birds I think it's faster to go left than right, but I may be wrong here), and again, it's a matter of a second or two.

I agree that I probably would have done better had I actually not taken the upper path at that point actually. I'm gald you pointed that out. I always just went that way, but I always have had trouble keeping the speed from there or not dying at that point. I think if I actually try the bottom route there it will work out better in my future attempts and most likely I'll have less deaths there than I've had in the past. While I'm on the mindset of improving level 5, I should probably try and take the shortcut in my next attempts as well.

I think my next target for this game will be sub 2:50.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
For the first verifier (I know who it is, but I won't say to keep this anonymous): AFAIK right before the birds is very slightly faster than left. Years ago, I decided that right was faster, so it's always the way I've done it at least.

Actually, I just watched the TAS and FWIW it goes right.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
whoa,
I've never seen tas of this, but I though ellioit's run was as good as it can get.

when is it going up the page?
Edit history:
andrewg: 2008-11-22 07:40:13 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Enhasa:
For the first verifier (I know who it is, but I won't say to keep this anonymous): AFAIK right before the birds is very slightly faster than left. Years ago, I decided that right was faster, so it's always the way I've done it at least.

Actually, I just watched the TAS and FWIW it goes right.

I'm a bit confused. Oh wait, I get it. Yeah, it seems like a shorter distance, but it feels like I can't always navigate through the narrow passage when going right and have to slow down a bit to get in the correct positioning. I think going left would have made more sense for me... at least until I have completely perfected that part. I mean, it probably doesn't really make any real difference, it's just that sometimes I'm slow at that point.