Sad
<- 1234567 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Time to Kick Ass and Chew Bumble Gum
well i did a speed run. Omly record the last part of the run on camera and was able to finish it in 7 hrs and 45 mins. So improvements could be made.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/230868.html
Edit history:
JDHyatt: 2008-07-03 01:12:05 pm
I'm the guy who complains yet never submits XD
Wahoo nicely done hitman I'll watch about a couple of hours for now
and the rest later.

Edit: Woops i should have read the comment properly :p

Edit 2: Unfortunatly i'm going to be trading in gta4 with the orange box for UT3 tomorrow (sorry)
I love SDA!
Hitman, did you plan everything out or did you just go with the flow and try to see how fast you could get it? Also, I agree there is room for improvement, and on that note I would like to ask you a question. Did you happen to test which was faster: Revenge or (Working with Dimitri, couldn't remember what they actually called it).?
working with guy is faster since you dont have to go around on the boat opening switches to face him on the boat. I mostly work with planing and some not. Since you have to receve phone calls but they appear random when you will get many contacts later in the game.
I love SDA!
its making me sad to see this forum topic slowly going to the bottom of the list. I am still planning on doing it, I just gotta get into the right mood. I'm still looking for any pointers/tips anyones got. So don't let this topic die on me Tongue
Quote from Atroz:
its making me sad to see this forum topic slowly going to the bottom of the list. I am still planning on doing it, I just gotta get into the right mood. I'm still looking for any pointers/tips anyones got. So don't let this topic die on me Tongue

As soon as this game comes out for PC, this forum topic is gonna be hopin!
Soon as this game comes out for PC, I'm not gonna leave my house for a week.
Sounds like a plan!
I'm the guy who complains yet never submits XD
GTA 4 on PC in November
DS Dictator
M.Bison "YES.... YES"
Between now and Mid-Nov
Just make a route & strats for all of the main missions,
Find the best moments to use the safe house for either a proper save or an auto save warp.
Ur-Quan. You're for dinner.
I haven't heard mention of this, but in terms of missions that require driving, any wanted level disappears on mission start, but not always finish. Whenever I have a driving mission that doesn't automatically give a decent car, I'll rack up a wanted level quick smart before I run into the marker to start the mission. Police in the area who have left their vehicles will disappear but the cars will stay.

With all the use of taxis it might not be worth the time taken gaining a wanted level pre-mission for a cop car in mission, but it's worth remembering.
Anyone have an idea if runs on the co-op missions would be allowed?
although the pc may have some new glitches. HEHEehehe. I know some tricks. The major one. Use taxi and have them take you
What?
Upon playing through again i noticed a few things, not sure if they were allready mentioned but here goes:

I think it's quicker to jump up staircases than to run up (if you run and jump as you hit the first step you usually float to the top). It's also quicker to jump down staircases in buildings, as you travel faster down and when you roll you can turn tighter at the bottom.

Walking over a weapon which you need to "swap" to pick up just as you answer the phone for a mission it skips the conversation quicker before the hang up option shows up (i think). It might also work when the phone is just ringing.
You can use the public transport to escape wanted levels easily.
You can use the computer at the counter in the internet cafes.

If you pull a wheelie on a bike and tap forward, you accelerate normally, however when you lean forward again you get a big speed boost (works in vc and sa too). In other words, rads works in gta IV.
Calling a cab from roman in most missions ending in a "loose your wanted level" and making him skip to the next mission start should work.

On the toll road you can skip the barriers completely by going to the far side of the booths where there is a small gap (big enough for a bike) which gives you no wanted level increase. There are also several fall canceling techniques on youtube - this can save some time.

On the mission "smackdown" there is a backdoor to the house, if you drive round there and work your way through the cops don't get to you as quick most enemies aren't immediately in cover.
On the mission "photo shoot" i found it quick to just snipe the bugger through the fence.
On "deconstruction for begginers" you can snipe the guys from the roof who you would normally have to use grenades on, though it's probably quicker to snipe the crane people from the floor.
On the mission where you have to disarm that knife loan shark guy (near the very beggining) you can just send him through the window for a quick kill.

There is a catapult trick with the bike, which i haven't been able to recreate yet (haven't tried) but i'll share anyway. When i was driving along to play darts with packie on the NRG i crashed into a wall sideways (the front wheel hit a container thing) we both flew off the bike for ages (sideways), packie ended up on some roof (just) and i was on the floor (a little short on height) If this is re-creatable you might be able to boost onto buildings with it.

Hope some of that is helpful. I'm nearing the end of the game now on my second playthrough (going for 100% this time), so i'll keep an eye out for any time savers on missions, wasn't really looking at the beginning but i think the stairs trick will help on that ivan mission.
Small tips that may or may not help the overall gameplay:

Hit the sirens when you smash thru the toll booth if you're driving an emergency vehicle - this way you won't get a wanted star.

Call for police backup before entering a heavy shooting mission - the cops might not kill an awful lot, but everything counts... the problem is, you get a wanted level from it.

You can of course skip dialogues on the phone by pressing down on the d-pad.

In a mission I think is called "Holland Nights" you can snipe the main bad guy (Clarence?) directly from the sidewalk without even entering the building, as he's just standing there on the 2nd floor talking with one of his henchmen, doing nothing - this makes it one of the easiest and fastest missions in the game.

As with all GTA games, reloading is faster when changing weapons from one and back to the original.

Also remember that calling an ambulance will heal you but it's pretty expensive... still, it might be faster than searching for a place to eat.

This should come as no shocker: MEMORIZE THE ENTIRE MAP... do NOT follow the suggested gps routes, as it only follows "legal" routes (examples: one-way streets and round-abouts are faster to use when driving in the wrong direction, evens parks can make for a nice shortcut).

I did this routine over and over when hanging out with friends, so it should be pretty useful in the actual game as well:
Say you called a taxi and skipped the ride to the location of the mission. After you step outside the vehicle, whistle at the taxi again before starting the mission - I find that at least 95 % of the times, the taxi is still waiting for you when the cutscene has ended and you're back in control of Niko.

Most of these are basic knowledge, but we all know that even the most basic of things can sometimes be hard to see
I love SDA!
Okay I kind of got extremely lazy on my Speed Run for this game but I'm going to try to start it up again. I have a few questions though, which I have kind of issued in this thread already, but I will ask again to see how much help I can get. The question is where should I save to make the segments, because my segments are currently 30-60 mins long and in my opinion and probably everyone elses opinion 30-60 mins per segment is just ridiculously long. The reason why I ask where I should segment is because I just seem to be extremely bad at making segments. I've tried to look at it before but I would lose a lot of time by constantly going to my hideout and saving. So any help could be much appreciated. Sorry for typing so much it's just I would really love to do this speed run but a single segment doesn't sound so appealing to me considering it would be 6-7 hours. Alright I'm just going to stop typing, thanks for any future help!
What?
If your going to be using a taxi + skip it shouldn't really make too much difference. I'd suggest after the vlad missions (if you mix in some other req missions too) for a first one - which means you can really optimize the start and those missions. I don't know, i have never tried running a gta game - you'd really need to find the missions you find to be a real pain in the balls - and cater to getting them towards the beginning of the segment - lets say each segment is between 25-45 mins? Before planning where you are going to segment, i really suggest trying out all the tricks people have mentioned in the missions and finding which ones are easy and which ones are hard - and which orders you can group stuff in.
As i said though, i know several tricks but i haven't actually tried speeding through the game so i can't really think of how to segment it, or what lengths to go for (as that depends on when you think your playing starts to "tail" off).

Btw - i'd advise buying and wearing a suit pretty quickly when you get into the second island and keeping it on - as i don't think there is a mission (apart from ones where you get given a costume) which require casual dress.
I love SDA!
Appreciate everything you said Apjjm, but as it stands I've got about half the run planned out and tested 2-3 times. The only problem I have is segmenting. I was doing the save before the hard missions incase I died I didn't have to redo an entire segment. But it came out where I wasn't having troubles with any mission or if I was it wasn't dire threat where I was going to die so it was necessary to save before hand. Ehhh, I guess I'll just havta sit through and figure out how I'm going segment.
oh ye ai aint the cell phones cause sometimes it would take a long time to get  a call from, plus it seems like you have to do all the missions from everybody.
Edit history:
Bubu: 2008-11-02 11:00:45 pm
Who am I? And if yes how many?
Did ya do any andvances with ur speedrun? I'd really like to see it.
destroy them with lazers
Could this game have to seperate speedruns? An Ending A and Ending B speedrun. Anyone know which is quicker?
I've beaten the main story in 18:32. Im gonna try to get it done faster next time..SS...
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
When there is a pause before a call (ie. first vlad call), you can drive to pay'n'spray to speed things up a bit.

If I understood correctly, in gta3 you could change the camera to make cars not spawn before you, has anyone figured out is there something similar with this?

Has anyone figured out the logic behind how to find the right van in "Crime and punishment"?
Quote from morbusg:
When there is a pause before a call (ie. first vlad call), you can drive to pay'n'spray to speed things up a bit.

If I understood correctly, in gta3 you could change the camera to make cars not spawn before you, has anyone figured out is there something similar with this?

Has anyone figured out the logic behind how to find the right van in "Crime and punishment"?

there are 2 guys in the van. Look for them two and you got the right van.
Download speed gear v6.0 and gta 4 will run fast in your pc