Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Antti 'Baron Dante' Tuomisto's IL runs

Verifier Responses

Hmmm frames lost, is this verifier Tompa? Wink

Quote:
Video Quality:
The easy levels video has a slight hiccup at around 1:08 (stage 09). It might just be on my end though.
That's the only (very) minor problem with the video quality I found. Other than that, it's fine.

Audio Quality:
Fine.

No cheating in the runs.

It didn't happen with Natsuki, but I missed that someone would actually comment on every single level.
I'm not going to let the opportunity to do it myself slip through my fingers, so here we go:

1 - it's as fast as it can be
2 - perfect too
3 - yes, yet again perfect
4 - I actually will have different things to say about the levels later on, but this time can not be beaten too
5 - ...yeah you guessed it, it's perfected
6 - lol, this one was actually simple to perfect and I never quite got there. The trick lies in the first jump before the final items, like what is done in the video.
7 - damn, really tight jumping here. every single jump is done in the first frame possible, both to start off the level and to jump to the upper part. well done
8 - the last jump might look a bit slow and ugly, but it's actually the fastest way
9 - here we start seeing the "corner-bubble" technique (I don't think it was ever baptized as such but whatever, it's when you put a bubble against nothing but thin air, as long as there's a corner right underneath) that will be used throughout the run and I can tell you is very hard to pull off consistently since it's so precise. But you can see the awesome result (when it goes well) right here
10 - more corner-bubbling, all the way to victory. It's the fastest route through the level, and I'd like to point out that right at the end, the runner jumps against the brick ceiling to be able to then jump faster to the uppermost platform. Sick attention to detail
11 - yeah
12 - you might think that the runner fired the bubbles 5 frames slower than he should, but it's actually fastest like this because of the timing of the bubbles in the "other circuit", let's call it that. Therefore I can't see more than like 2 frames at most (and that seems like a stretch) coming off this
13 - ugh, this level. Never really knew how to tackle it, the required corner-bubbles were killing me. It's cool to see it done like this, and apparently taking the upper route is not fastest...
14 - such a cool route, optimal indeed. Nice little detail (which will be used later a lot) is to fire bubbles apparently for nothing but actually so that other ones get out of your way
15 - quick and easy
16 - timing is such a headache in this stage. Still, it's pretty optimal, with the that turnaround for the last 2 bubbles being a very very nice touch
17 - fastest route used, well executed
18 - yep
19 - damn, some pretty insane button-timing-mashing here. Optimal
20 - heh, here you get to see the solution to doing this in one cycle. One well-placed corner-bubble = win
21 - oof, the insane corner-bubbling / mashing is starting, and here's one pretty good instance of it. Very nicely played, I never thought this level could be sub-5'd
22 - lol, to the casual viewer it might look like the runner slips, but oh no, that's the fastest route. Next!
23 - indeed
24 - clever route. Execution rocks as usual
25 - sweet
26 - the 26th optimal level in a row, I'd say
27 - ahhh, level 27. Those two corner-bubbles right at the beginning are a pain to pull off. Still, there might be a faster route through this? I'll never know (and I can elaborate why...). Anyways, with this route, it's very good.
28 - okay
29 - here I actually wonder if one could have jumped one more time in the center platform to put more bubbles on the left side. Would that be any faster? I'm not sure since you have to align your jumps with the blue items anyway. If this is the best route, then it's marvelously executed
30 - it might seem that the runner is losing a little bit of time while dropping down to the second set of red items or the last set of blue items, but you have to wait a little before proceeding otherwise you'll miss the first item of the row. Therefore, great stage
31 - the best route here is so non-obvious. But I firmly believe this is it. Very well thought out
32 - pretty slick
33 - fine
34 - can't really say anything else other than this must be a very good route since it's the fastest time I've seen for this level, by a lot
35 - corner-bubbling glory. 'nuff said
36 - YES OK
37 - timed elements here mean no time was lost in the waiting and in the not-frame-perfect execution initially. Actually, that's the slickest finish to a stage you'll probably find in this IL table
38 - WOW, I had thought of this route but gave up trying to make it a reality because I had never thought it could actually be possible. And the truth is, it can actually be a few frames faster!
39 - fast climbing, the time loss with the jump in the upper middle section is a necessary evil, and then jumps to drop as fast as possible for the last 4 items. I'm pleased
40 - good
41 - that one jump to get to the next section is very precise indeed. From this video, I actually can't see if it was executed by mashing or by timing, but it worked anyway and the result is a very fast stage. Also, no time lost with the last fired bubble!
42 - this was actually my favorite level of the game, for some reason. No further comments since it's pretty optimal
43 - OH NO HE DIDN'T! The little hiccup in the middle section after the initial climb costs the runner 2-3 frames but I really shouldn't even have mentioned it
44 - both me and Antti know that this level can be done exactly 3 frames faster, and then it will be maxed. Wink
45 - *head explodes*. It's the most insane stage execution-wise, period.
46 - well done
47 - very creative route, the runner managed to finish this level with a time that I didn't think was possible
48 - *head explodes, AGAIN*. It's the most insane stage execution-wise, period. YES, AGAIN.
49 - I really like this approach. Optimal afaik
50 - awesome finish

So, if you couldn't have guessed already, in my opinion this IL table deserves a very obvious ACCEPT.

Quote:
Shit, sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. Have been away twice and still struggling to catch up with everything I'm supposed to be doing or have done for people.

Anyway, here's a brief response: this run is awesome. 50 little packets of perfection, in terms of both planning and execution. I really can't find fault anywhere; I've thought about the routes for every level and can't even think of any possible improvements to test, and the execution is, like with Ganbare, staggeringly good. The fact that the runner did this solo when Ganbare Natsuki San took a huge collaboration makes it all the more impressive. All the simple levels look to me to be perfect down to the frame, and even the most awkward and difficult-to-optimise levels are surely only a few frames off such perfection. There are so many instants in this run where perfect timing is necessary and every frame of delay translates into lost time, and yet, if you could TAS this game, you'd be lucky if you could shave off 5 seconds total. The runner makes use at several points of a trick/glitch where if you fire a bubble on what I believe has to be the exact correct frame (this in a 60FPS game) while moving past a corner, you can get it to appear one block above or below the wall it hits, and he always does this completely smoothly and without delaying anything else, despite the difficulty of the trick. He even uses it three times in a row on level 48 to make a climbable tower in thin air, and makes it look so easy it makes me sick. This is the most obvious accept of any verification I've ever done. Congrats to the runner.

P.S. This run makes the game creator's 'target times' shown at the post-level stats screen look like a bad joke, with levels with targets well over a minute being beaten in 5 seconds.

The third verifier just said that this was a great run and didn't have much to say other than that.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Another round of hyper-optimized ILs of a Japanese freeware game. Smiley
Thread title:  
welcome to the machine
Alpha Secret Base games are getting some love.
It's a BIG HEAD!
Finally!

Actually, I have to comment on the first verifiers comment: In four levels, my time has been improved, and in lvl 2 and 22, I have improved it myself.

I improved level 2 by 2 frames, and was beaten in levels 4, 6 and 11.
Level 4 improves by 4 frames(!), thanks to timed jumps, not button mashing.
6 improves by one frame.
11 by 3 frames.

I suppose I could have level 2 and level 22 (Definately) submitted.

On second verifier: This game is so much about optimizing, that not even TAS could drop 5 seconds. There are not glitches that could be executed with only TAS, so I'd say a max of 2 or 3 seconds would drop and even that is insane stretch.

Also, on the "Target Times", I believe the creator had those times that bad to have people beat them, since the games awards a trophy for beating those. The fun thing I noticed on most was that they were few frames better or worse than my frames in the level. Maybe those were his ending frames in the level, and leave the seconds off? IDK.

Just so you know, I'm now doing both Search Light and Kaiten Patissier (Both are from Alpha Secret Base games). My plan is to get a lower total time than what the wiki has for Kaiten Patissier. (Enhasa and Mike started on that, but Mikes replays are with Enhasa who has disappeared. and for Search Light, I'm now sub 11 minutes, but I'm trying to shave few ten seconds off of that.

Thanks for the verifiers.
Hey Antti, congrats on the accept =) and that's great news as far as the improvements go! Do you care to share the replays with us common mortals? Wink

Also, I'm just wondering, are you tommis117 on youtube? If so, you'll be happy to know that DK (the guy who developed the Action Love engine AND all the games, from Natsuki to Searchlight) favorited your Green Island speedrun videos on youtube! Check out his youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DKALPHA01
Edit history:
Baron Dante: 2010-09-16 03:02:05 am
Baron Dante: 2010-09-16 01:59:18 am
It's a BIG HEAD!
Thanks. I can put the replays to youtube, but the quality will be crap. I'll have to see if I would integrate the improvements to my Kaiten Patissier run (To submit them there, and have them verified separately. Or  something)

Yes, I in fact am, but I've been thinking of moving the videos and such to some account with correct age and name more fitting for me. That's originally my friends account or something, can't remember. It's awesome that he keeps checking if there comes more of their game videos Smiley

I have 2 levels left to improve in Kaiten Patisser. Sad

EDIT: Got a 5:07 in Ganbare Natsuki-san in 2-20, which is was your record, Tiago xD And that came from the blue.

EDIT2: 3-22 on the game, crappy and laggy.
Edit history:
spacoina: 2010-09-17 10:42:51 am
spacoina: 2010-09-17 10:38:34 am
spacoina: 2010-09-17 10:38:22 am
spacoina: 2010-09-17 10:38:06 am
spacoina: 2010-09-17 10:32:25 am
Quote from Baron Dante:
EDIT: Got a 5:07 in Ganbare Natsuki-san in 2-20, which is was your record, Tiago xD And that came from the blue.

hahaha awesome. This genuinely amuses me, since I thought no improvement could be any shittier than my 1 frame improvement over LLCD's 5:09 on this level Grin
Does it replay as 5:07 though?

Quote from Baron Dante:
EDIT2: 3-22 on the game, crappy and laggy.

Great strat right here. Here's hoping you keep going at it and submit an awesome set of improved ILs!

EDIT: BTW if you get back to improving Natsuki, I'll join for sure =P

EDIT 2: @EDIT, or not since I suck at the game now =(
It's a BIG HEAD!
I found a semi-new way to do it. Smiley And yes, it replay's as 5:07.

As for GI, I won't most likely get back to it, unless someone else starts to beat my records.

Nope, won't improve GNP unless someone happens to hammer my times. Especially as I suck again.

That said, I'm doing Kaiten Patissier though, which is nearly finished. 2 fucking levels just don't give in. 1 of them I'll get a strat in day or 2, and the other I have no idea at all.