Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/GhostsnGoblins.html

Sir Kareshi the Strongth's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V
===
Seriously, the video of this run reminds me of a Van Gogh painting. Yeah, it's no treat for the eyes (not that I have anything against Van Gogh, but it's just that his painting style is nothing for a video to take after). The story behind the bad video quality is kind of sad. A certain score tracking video game site is holding on to the original tape like there was no tomorrow instead of recognizing the runner's effort and returning at least a copy of it. That's why the world won't be able to enjoy this run to 100%. Anyways, enough about that...

Cheating
========
None spotted. However, I have to admit that the video quality is too bad to determine whether this has the appearance of a console run or not.

Gameplay
========
The improvements come from small things like better overall execution, no major mistakes (although the first part of level 1, round 2 was not super speedy) and small tweaks here and there. So there is actually not so much to say about that. I'd still be curious to hear what the runner has to say about some neat time savers in the tas though :
- Damage boosting off the first "bigman" in level 5, saving climbing up one ladder and a bigman fight.
- Damage boosting off the cyclops' shot in level 6.

These boosts both look cool and seemed quite manageable when I tried them out. They would save around 15 seconds in total if applied in both round 1 and 2.

Level 3 is a bitch and I won't complain about playing it safely. Still, for the record I'd like to mention the detours.
- Taking the lower route in the yellow part of level 3 saves going up and down a long ladder. (it's even possible to damage boost off of one of those goo-spitting towers, but that would be quite risky imo)
- Taking the lower route in the blue part of level 3 would save going up a ladder (but not much more as far as I can tell).

Recommendation
==============
I would have recommended to reject almost any other run with a video quality like this. However, runners capable of taking on Ghost 'n Goblins head on don't grow on trees, so I'm prepared to oversee with the shortcoming of the video quality and instead join in the accolades for the triumphant return of the undisputed red devil slayer out there. My recommendation is therefore to accept this run.

Quote:
Verifier: i watched it, and it's an improvement
Verifier: so it should be an obvious accept considering that the run on the site is already damn good
Verifier: it's sort of scary how well he executes the run considering all the bullshit the game throws at you
Verifier: he takes a few hits on 2nd playthrough but they were due to random enemy spawns really rather than sloppy play

Quote:
i could probably count runner errors on my ten little fingers
and i could probably count instances of bad luck on my ten little toes.

christ almighty accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: Sir Kareshi has proven his strongth!
Thread title:  
yeah that really is a shame about tg refusing to return the tape

strongthstrongthstrongth
Is PJ
Return to start point, challenge again!
Quote:
A/V
===
Seriously, the video of this run reminds me of a Van Gogh painting. Yeah, it's no treat for the eyes (not that I have anything against Van Gogh, but it's just that his painting style is nothing for a video to take after). The story behind the bad video quality is kind of sad. A certain score tracking video game site is holding on to the original tape like there was no tomorrow instead of recognizing the runner's effort and returning at least a copy of it. That's why the world won't be able to enjoy this run to 100%. Anyways, enough about that...

Cheating
========
None spotted. However, I have to admit that the video quality is too bad to determine whether this has the appearance of a console run or not.

Gameplay
========
The improvements come from small things like better overall execution, no major mistakes (although the first part of level 1, round 2 was not super speedy) and small tweaks here and there. So there is actually not so much to say about that. I'd still be curious to hear what the runner has to say about some neat time savers in the tas though :
- Damage boosting off the first "bigman" in level 5, saving climbing up one ladder and a bigman fight.
- Damage boosting off the cyclops' shot in level 6.

These boosts both look cool and seemed quite manageable when I tried them out. They would save around 15 seconds in total if applied in both round 1 and 2.

Level 3 is a bitch and I won't complain about playing it safely. Still, for the record I'd like to mention the detours.
- Taking the lower route in the yellow part of level 3 saves going up and down a long ladder. (it's even possible to damage boost off of one of those goo-spitting towers, but that would be quite risky imo)
- Taking the lower route in the blue part of level 3 would save going up a ladder (but not much more as far as I can tell).

Recommendation
==============
I would have recommended to reject almost any other run with a video quality like this. However, runners capable of taking on Ghost 'n Goblins head on don't grow on trees, so I'm prepared to oversee with the shortcoming of the video quality and instead join in the accolades for the triumphant return of the undisputed red devil slayer out there. My recommendation is therefore to accept this run.

Damage boosting off a Big Man in Level 5 would be reasonable if they were always in the same spot, but since there are 2 of them above me when I get hit there's a good chance of one of them being right above me and preventing me from getting up the ladder. And I wouldn't be able to go back down the ladder, so I would just die.
I do try to damage boost of the shoot of the cyclops, but for the same purpose (going up the ladder.) I think the TAS, or maybe the old TAS, boosts up to the right side of the area and jumps up to avoid the ladder. But the cyclops doesn't always shoot when you want him to. The time saved isn't really worth it since running into him and going up the ladder works 100%.
But, I'll probably do some more testing on those if I ever improve/redo this.
The lower part of the yellow cave may be faster but it would require a damage boost from a tower to save time. I don't like going in to the blue cave with no armor because the second Red Devil is a jerk.
The lower part of the blue cave is 100% not reasonable. There are two Red Devils to fight through, as well as a burrito and two white ghosts that have to be dealt with. The Red Devil fights aren't set up well, I can't kill them without interrupting my forward movement too much. The upper path has almost no stopping moving forward.
The video quality is not as bad as you're making it sound. I'm sorry it's not an HQ capture. But, it still looks better than the current SDA run, just watch them next to each other. I've learned my lesson and it'll never happen again.
A little late to reply, but the run was just posted so... The video that just got posted on the site (I watched the hq) had a much better quality than what was sent to the verifiers. It's great that the video quality isn't ruining the viewer experience. Again, congraturations to a very nice speedrun.

Also, thanks for your reply, I agree with your comments (although I still think it would be cool to see some damage boosting shortcuts à la Castlevania).
Master-88
Quote from Verifier 1:
A little late to reply, but the run was just posted so... The video that just got posted on the site (I watched the hq) had a much better quality than what was sent to the verifiers. It's great that the video quality isn't ruining the viewer experience. Again, congraturations to a very nice speedrun.

Also, thanks for your reply, I agree with your comments (although I still think it would be cool to see some damage boosting shortcuts à la Castlevania).

Many times quality got improvement when run got up into site. Quality just suck with verification copy. Someone verifer told audio was horrible my Snake revenge run, but im not haved any audio trouble my VOB files before i send it.

Like Kareshi did i always used med quality because high quality take really much computer space.

BTW Kraeshi you are did so good job. I´ll watch your run soon as i can. This might be superb good looking. I am watching your previous one three times. Its might be awesome see this new one. thumbsup
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-09-05 12:54:08 am
Master-88
I just watched this. Its very great run.

Annoying im not see any serious close calls like previous run. Kareshi skiils are too good a today. I loved see close calls in speedruns.
Its just really great run and make look hard game easy enought. Thats look Kareshi can beat game over and over and he never die.