Sad
12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, much to Enhasa's concern. Or it would be his concern if he actually checked the forums. Tongue

A bunch of people's IL efforts.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Great set of IL's. The precision and routes are great. Audio and visual both pass.

Good job guys you pretty much destroyed this game.

Quote:
Not much for me to say here. I was soundly thrashed. The gameplay is all legit, but there's clearly some Freddy-esque trigger fingers in amongst this bunch. Some of the grapple-climbing is just insanely quick.

The strat for 49 is quite ingenious, but I think my favourite was 43. That level was such a bitch the first time through and it got -destroyed-.

Easy accept.

Quote:
I wondered what had happened to this. Video quality is excellent, so it's an easy accept from me. Having played in the tourney and kept sort-of half-an-eye on the progress of the run as it improved, I can attest to the level of thought and effort put into it. The strategy for each level has been optimised, re-optimised and double-dog-optimised until the runners were down to scratching for frames wherever they could find them. It should impress anyone who's not familiar with the game, let alone anyone who's tried to play it Tongue

Decision: Accept

Reason: A good cooperative effort from SDA. Group hugs for all! Yes, group hugs because they're manly. Wink
Thread title:  
Edit history:
spacoina: 2010-04-15 06:04:30 pm
posted by mistake

anyway \o/ glad you liked it
It's a BIG HEAD!
Wait, wasn't 43 the bitchiest level ever made? Oh yeah, it was. I would've wanted to get it to sub-10 secs but it takes like 20 tries to do the first part -.-

Oh well, I suppose I should get to recording my Green Island (Similar game to this, yet so different. I'd say that one is even more optimized than this though.)
lvl 43 was a stinker :(.

I tried to run it but dieing was just too random for me...

ah well, atleast Baron Dante pulled it off Smiley
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Could someone write an intro for this game? I know one of you 10 or so people who played the game could write me one.
Edit history:
X: 2010-06-04 07:20:03 pm
destroy them with lazers
Ganbare Natsuki-san is the 2006 puzzle platformer by Alpha Secret Base. Borrowing a few elements from the obscure PSX game called Umihara Kawase Shun. The rope has been replaced with a metal gadget, able to extend and grab on to walls and ceilings.
If you go ahead with X's description (I'm OK with it btw), then please just correct the following (besides grammar, don't know about that):
Quote from X:
Ganbare Natsuki-san is the 2006 puzzle platformer by DK, whose group is Alpha Secret Base. (...)

Also, if you want to add some links:
Quote from X:
Ganbare Natsuki-san is the 2006 puzzle platformer by DK, whose group is Alpha Secret Base. Borrowing a few elements from the obscure PSX game called Umihara Kawase Shun. The rope has been replaced with a metal gadget, able to extend and grab on to walls and ceilings.
I don't know much about the background of the game or developer so I can't really add anything on that front. However, I will point out that:

* Saying that the game is the 2006 puzzle platformer by DK maybe sounds a bit odd because it almost seems to presuppose that the reader knows that there is exactly one 2006 puzzle platformer by DK.

* 'Borrowing a few elements from the obscure PSX game called Umihara Kawase Shun.' isn't a sentence on its own.

* I wouldn't mention how 'The rope has been replaced with a metal gadget' because that doesn't make sense to anyone who hasn't played Umihara Kawase Shun.

* The internet seems to mostly spell the game as 'Ganbare Natsuki San' rather than the 'Ganbare Natsuki-san' we've been using at SDA, although both spellings can be found. I suggest we go with the more common spelling unless somebody who understands Japanese thinks the other is better for some reason.

Also, I personally think that perhaps some more (brief) detail on how the gameplay works wouldn't be amiss in the game description.

May I therefore suggest this revision:

Puzzle platformer Ganbare Natsuki San, released in 2006, was created by solo developer DK from the Japanese indie games group Alpha Secret Base, and borrows a few gameplay elements from obscure PSX platformer Umihara Kawase Shun. The player's objective is to collect all of the items on each level while avoiding death from various hazards. The central gameplay mechanic is the player's ability to fire a metal gadget that grabs onto walls and other surfaces and lets the player pivot around them; initially, this feels clumsy, but with practice it allows players to traverse the levels with surprising agility.

Also, X, do you have a source for the fact that Ganbare Natsuki San borrowed gameplay elements from Umihara Kawase Shun besides freeware.remakes.org? I can't find a source for it myself, and the claim made by the writer at freeware.remakes.org sounds like it's just an assertion based upon a similarity he noticed between the two games rather than being backed up by anything said by the developer, so I'd rather not take him at his word.
destroy them with lazers
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Also, X, do you have a source for the fact that Ganbare Natsuki San borrowed gameplay elements from Umihara Kawase Shun besides freeware.remakes.org? I can't find a source for it myself, and the claim made by the writer at freeware.remakes.org sounds like it's just an assertion based upon a similarity he noticed between the two games rather than being backed up by anything said by the developer, so I'd rather not take him at his word.

no i just searched around for a quick description and that seemed like a half decent one.
Then I propose:

Puzzle platformer Ganbare Natsuki San, released in 2006, was created by solo developer DK from the Japanese indie games group Alpha Secret Base. The player's objective is to collect all of the items on each level while avoiding death from various hazards. The central gameplay mechanic is the player's ability to fire a metal gadget that grabs onto walls and other surfaces and lets the player pivot around them; initially, this feels clumsy, but with practice it allows players to traverse the levels with surprising agility.
When this run goes up, don't be fooled by EC's name being listed in only one level, he actually worked more on this than the rest of us.

All this to say thanks for everything man (and now for the cool intro too :)).
I think spac gives me far too much credit. True, I did the writey stuff and I put in quite a few hours of running early on (only for all my runs to be beaten by the greater creativity and perfectionism of the others :P), and I put in several hours to get my level 16 time, but I was AWOL during most of the running and didn't even put in a serious attempt on most of the levels in the second half of the game. Having experienced first-hand how much time and effort it takes to get any good runs done in this game, even on the shorter levels, I am quite certain that Dante, spac and Zaibir all put in much more work than me.

I'm not sure if I've posted this anywhere else on the forum before, but in the end, I literally couldn't compete with the times the others were getting because trying to match the insanely fast grappling they were using, combined with this game's ridiculously fiddly controls, was giving me repetitive strain pains in my wrist within half an hour of playing. I've never experienced that in any other game I've played before, which is probably a testament to both the ridiculous awkwardness of the controls and the insanely quick fingers of Dante, spac and Zaibir.
I've been reading along and since I'm really bad with writing stuff (like that). I didn't really say much.

Anyway, the last suggested version from EC sounds good, except that I personally think something like "initially, this feels clumsy, but with practice it allows players to traverse the levels with surprising agility." shouldn't be in it purely because it's subjective (even though almost everyone might agree with it :p).
Then again I don't really know how all the other intro's of games are written, but that's just my thought.

If changed you could maybe say something like:
"The player's objective is to collect all of the items on each level while avoiding death from various hazards. The central gameplay mechanic is the player's ability to fire a metal gadget that grabs onto walls and other surfaces and lets the player pivot around them; giving the player the ability to traverse the levels with surprising agility."

maybe add "when handled correctly" behind it or something.
anyway that's just my thoughts, if you all think it doesn't really matter I'm also fine with it.
I don't care that much, it's just those damn principles of mine Tongue
Many intros are highly subjective; I think that giving a good understanding of the nature of the game in terms that a gamer would understand is more important than objectivity (we're not Wikipedia :P). As long as things aren't actually disputed or controversial, I personally think they're fine in game intros. I'm happy for it to be changed if others agree with you, though (although I do think that 'with practice', 'when handled correctly' or some similar qualifier is needed).

Also, grammar tip:
With the exception of the highly unusual use of a semicolon to separate items in a list, the bits on each side of a semi-colon should always be complete sentences in their own right. 'Giving the player the ability to traverse the levels with surprising agility.' isn't a sentence on its own, so to make your change grammatically correct, you should either change the semicolon to a comma or change the wording so that what comes after a semi-colon is a full sentence, for instance something like
"The central gameplay mechanic is the player's ability to fire a metal gadget that grabs onto walls and other surfaces and lets the player pivot around them; this gives the player the ability to traverse the levels with surprising agility."

Now that I've corrected your grammar, karma dictates that I have almost certainly made an embarassing grammar error somewhere in my post.
By the way, does anyone who worked on this run want to upload it to YouTube? I think the guy who runs the SDA channel just uploads whatever he feels like, so I dunno what the chances of him deciding to upload this are, probably not very high? Probably best that whoever has the most subscribers uploads? I'd be happy for it to go up somewhere so I can post a bulletin on my channel directing my subscribers to it.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
By the way, does anyone who worked on this run want to upload it to YouTube? I think the guy who runs the SDA channel just uploads whatever he feels like, so I dunno what the chances of him deciding to upload this are, probably not very high? Probably best that whoever has the most subscribers uploads? I'd be happy for it to go up somewhere so I can post a bulletin on my channel directing my subscribers to it.

You can also ask him to upload your run and he'll do it.
That's probably best then.
Has any of the more active runners actually matched my one remaining time? I really don't care for the namedrop so somebody else can have it if he wants to, to make the list look less crowded. It's not like I actually did anything worthwhile for this project.
Quote from ZenicReverie:
You can also ask him to upload your run and he'll do it.

Seconded.

Quote from LLCoolDave:
Has any of the more active runners actually matched my one remaining time? I really don't care for the namedrop so somebody else can have it if he wants to, to make the list look less crowded. It's not like I actually did anything worthwhile for this project.

I do remember attempting it but I couldn't. That time is pretty good you know, you may not care about it but you've earned your namedrop Wink
It's a BIG HEAD!
Phh, I have the same time as you, but if I had one measly name there I would keep just for the sake of annoyment of the others. You may take it off with and put my (or anyone else fitting that place) name there if you really want though.
Ok, now I've gotta ask.
Is this game totally forgotten or do you just do not want to post a game with 50 IL levels? Smiley

Or did I miss it somehow?

But seriously the last 12 games or so that have been posted have been verified more then a month later then this one. So I was really thinking this somehow got in the 'did we still have to post that run?' bin.

Sooo?
what is it? Smiley
we have lift off
Quote from ZaibirQuild:
Ok, now I've gotta ask.
Is this game totally forgotten or do you just do not want to post a game with 50 IL levels? Smiley

Or did I miss it somehow?

But seriously the last 12 games or so that have been posted have been verified more then a month later then this one. So I was really thinking this somehow got in the 'did we still have to post that run?' bin.

Sooo?
what is it? Smiley

It's a PC game run so Dex will be the one to post it, Breakdown and Flip post console runs and since they take it in turns to post runs it can take a while to go full cycle.
Ah, I did not know that. Smiley
owke. Thanks for the info.

Was just afraid it was forgotten somehow ^^
It's a BIG HEAD!
Wait... They want to have some kind of theme in the updates, right? Hm, how about "Baron Dante" theme? xD Or Action Love one.
It's a BIG HEAD!
*gasp* It's here! Finally -.- Now to wait for the next one.