Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-06-05 07:24:41 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Wesley 'Molotov' Corron's run

Verifier Responses

Note: Ignore any comments about the sound. Nate will mix in directly recorded audio for the final copy.

Quote:
Video: Passable. The camera angles could be better, but alas, still no good way to record DS games. Will Ninty ever give us some hardware support for such? Probably not, at this rate.

Audio: Also passable, all things considered. Again, DS recording sucks.

Gameplay: It's very no-nonsense, almost TAS'd. Quick movements, minimal time spent in menus when necessary, every boss dies to a crit, one unit pretty much runs the show, etc. Most battles consist of two turns: one to teleport the hero next to the boss, and one to capture the objective.

Segments 25 onward are somewhat out of focus (ironically after the runner makes a comment about hoping that it's not), but it doesn't matter much. It's still fairly obvious as to what's going on: Marth's teleporting around, selectively stabbing a scant few people while the rest just stand there and watch. Segment 31 displays the game's recorded times for each stage.

Also, the JP "normal" mode apparently might be easier then the US/EU "normal", though I haven't been able to 100% verify this.

Verdict: Accept. Mike's Abode scores another victorious run.

Quote:
I initially wrote out comments for each chapter. Then my computer crashed, and this was one of the only times

I've ever not pressed crtl+s before tabbing every single time v.v

So instead, here's a summary of my thoughts:

Manipulate stats in the early chapters. Up to about chapter 4, you should be getting STR, SPD and sometimes DEF,

every level. This isn't even that unlikely - it's 5% including defence, 25% without, and it'll help save time:

No using vulneraries any more, no using that Speedwing in chapter 10(?).

Execution is sometimes not as solid as it could be. When moving to warp, you could often navigate around walls

and things that stop the cursor. This would save a few seconds.

A segment is missing. IIRC it's between segments 11 and 12, when you use a map save unnecessarily and then the next chapter starts.

Chapter 17 has nothing but static for sound.

Gameplay wise, I'm going to have to reject. The planning is solid, but the execution as stated above, can be improved throughout, and in a game where every segment is about 30 seconds to 1 minute long, you should be getting closer to perfection.

Verdict: Reject. With a few gameplay improvements and sound recorded directly, it could be accepted.

Note: The game is Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. FE11 is a fan name.

Quote:
Finished watching the fire emblem run, and its fast.  the whole run just appears to use Marth to slash though all and only the bosses.  some items where used, some magicians where involved. things got a little hairy.  I can only beggin to imagine the amount of luck manipulation that was used often marth just runs through about 10 guys, solo, and comes out unscathed, thats pretty manly for such a femanine guy.

imppressive run, accept.

Quote:
A short run, so didn't take too long to judge.

General:
I know recording on the DS is tricky... but I would think making it vertically above the system wouldn't be a problem...
Kind of the most basic part after "the whole screens are in the frame". This is distinctly like a 70 degree angle, rather than 90.
What's more the distance could be closer, the color could be better balanced, and the audio, by SDA standards, cannot be taken over-the-air like this. The button taps are clearly audible. And... like, people are talking.
Also the system isn't secured well, it shakes quite a bit when buttons are pushed. I usually preffer to use the stylus in those situations, even if you have it secured, it shakes less when you're using the stylus.
So... I'll leave that up to SDA's jugement. I'm a perfectionist with recording over the DS. Haven't finished a run yet but I spent forever making it look nothing like this, so I know it's possible.
Especially for a 15 minute run, you would think you'd try to get the record quality a bit higher seeing as it doesn't need to be setup for months and months.
If SDA considers this quality good enough, I'm fine with it, too. But I'm iffy about it being too LQ to be accepted.

I can read Japanese and could tell if there's anything wrong here, can't see anything that suggests it. But like I said, can't see the screen too well, can't read complex kanjis.

All battle animations, HP-bars going down, and entire battle phase, showing who lives, dies, and is killed and similar things are skipped. So it makes it pretty hard to tell what's going on, but the settings are all setup to do everything as fast as possible as per the speedrunning guidlines, so nothing wrong with that.

Analysis of the Run:
Basically the battle stratagy seems to be "have Marth run in and get to the end boss as fast as possible".
It's kinda hard to tell what's going on so I'm not entirely sure why Marth doesn't die... The level is ended almost every turn, minimizing attacks on him, though we don't see those because they're skipped for speed purposes.
The Paladin is used a lot in earlier levels to beat some upfront opponents. Unnecessary things like unlockable characters and things are skipped.
Marth switches weapons and healing items a bit and I think buys better items from shops.
There's clearly a stratagy here but it's hard to tell what it is. Marth uses vulnarys and stays alive the whole time. If any allies die, which they probably do, they're skipped.

In segment 7 Lena, the cleric, is saved. Then the teleport (warp) rod is used to basically skip a few levels. This is done a lot, though that items has limited uses (5 per-staff) so it doesn't happen every level.
I don't really get how enough experienced is gained, except assumably Marth has very good luck so he doesn't easily die, so his being shoved in the middle of enemies with no one helping him probably gains him a lot of experience.
Since nobody else is reall being used at all, this makes sense and saves time without any long-term problems.

In segment 9 everyone else just isn't even used anymore.
The player takes advantage of the fact that there's a limit to how much an opponant can attack one player character. It's limited by how many sides they can attack from.

In later segments, the non-Marth characters are just left in their original spot. Marth just ignores everything and is warped straight to the boss or what are around them almost every time.
Other characters that are picked up are used for warp later. Auto-join ones, like Boah. Who has a larger default magic and therefore can warp farther in the larger levels.

A few turns are taken with Wolf and Jagen to get a warp from a thief in segment 21.
In a few pre-battle segments better items are given to Marth and more warps are given to Boah. So same stratagy...
Bunch of other items whose names I can't read because of the blurriness of the screen get traded, seems to be to warp Marth...
He... probably used Hammern to resore a Warp somewhere.

It pretty much goes like that till the end. Marth fights somebody every round, but is kept in a place where he won't get too many attacks.
He uses the unlocked Nagi. Warped Marth with one warp used by Boah and Nagi with a warp used by Lena.
Nagi defeats the opponent in front of Medeus, then Marth gets a critical on Madeus himself, the final boss.
That I assume used luck manipulation. The final battle in Fire Emblem can never be skipped, the animation I mean. Dunno why, but it's like that in other FE speedruns, regardless of options.

Assesment:
Accept

That's on the condition there's another audio stream which is NOT done over the air and SDA doesn't mind how bad the recording is. The description suggested this is a "second audio stream". So maybe the audio of the game we're hearing is done by the camera and there's a second one recorded on the computer, which was simultaneously playing it to help the player focus. I do something like that.
The gameplay does everything I could imagine to speed things up, though it's pretty hard to tell what's happening all the time (due to skipping everything), nothing observable was wrong and in this game a "death" would be Marth dying, which certainly doesn't happen.
So, if it's just gameplay I'm judging, than accept. If it's the quality of the video and there's nothing to be done I'd have to reject. The screen's passable, but could be MUCH better. Though I dunno how strict SDA is on that.

And the latter is the case, I'd encourage the runner to redo this with a better setup and less dying zombies in the background. Because it's a short run, though kind of shame to be recorded like this.

As for gameplay very little is visible, assumably the runner knows what's happening where so knows when stuff is "working". I didn't see anyone who was necessary to kill that wasn't, so perhaps luck manipulation was used enough to get that. You can only see criticals if the battle animation is displayed.
But it SEEMS like the fastest possible rout. No going through menus is done badly. I dunno exactly where the runner lost the seconds where he says made him not reach the "possible" fastest time, but it seemed done perfectly to me.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Fast menus and luck manipulation are two things that make a good Fire Emblem run.
Thread title:  
Oh hey, cool. Glad to see this got accepted. If Nate leaves the over-the-air audio in, we'll all get to hear Mike's adventure through Dead Rising! (FANTASTIC!) Tongue

Going to continue the usual tradition of verifier responses:

Quote:
Also, the JP "normal" mode apparently might be easier then the US/EU "normal", though I haven't been able to 100% verify this.

Vincent made no mention of this, so I find this a bit unlikely. He's usually right on top of things, you know? If you want to compare stats sometime though, we could figure that out for sure. (Would be tedious though.)

Verifier 2, I remember manipulating most level ups early on. And while it's not really relevant, don't the odds of a super level actually go down the more you do it (thanks to dynamic growths)? The Speedwing you're thinking of was in Chapter 11, which is where I believe I always use it in any run. Also, while I understand the Vulneraries can be seen as not being optimal, trust me when I say that it's asking for a bit much to say that they shouldn't be used at all.

For the walls comment, I'm curious to know which ones you meant. I utterly hate the fact that they made the cursor lock up on walls like that, but I did things the best way I knew how. :/

The missing segment is an error on Nate's part, I think. I remember checking for every single segment before sending things off to him (using the same DVDs Mike sent me, so it's all there), so I'm sure he just overlooked that one. Will definitely tell Mike about this soon.

Quote:
Chapter 17 has nothing but static for sound.

Guess Mike wasn't killing enough zombies! Tongue

Quote:
Gameplay wise, I'm going to have to reject. The planning is solid, but the execution as stated above, can be improved throughout, and in a game where every segment is about 30 seconds to 1 minute long, you should be getting closer to perfection.

My personal best is only 25 seconds faster than this, so I'm kind of curious to know what you were expecting.

Quote:
I can only beggin to imagine the amount of luck manipulation that was used often marth just runs through about 10 guys, solo, and comes out unscathed, thats pretty manly for such a femanine guy.

It's the pants, dude. They give him awesome new powers.

Quote:
I know recording on the DS is tricky... but I would think making it vertically above the system wouldn't be a problem...

Heh, I tried my best. Mike kind of showed me the basics of the camera/tripod and then just let me go to work, so definitely blame me for that. I should've asked Mike to stop playing for a bit so that we could check the focus using the A/V out to the TV, but oh well. (Dang, why couldn't I have paid Nate to come provide tech support for that day?)

Quote:
And... like, people are talking.

Live (undead) audio commentary! YEAH! Tongue

Quote:
Also the system isn't secured well, it shakes quite a bit when buttons are pushed. I usually preffer to use the stylus in those situations, even if you have it secured, it shakes less when you're using the stylus.
So... I'll leave that up to SDA's jugement. I'm a perfectionist with recording over the DS. Haven't finished a run yet but I spent forever making it look nothing like this, so I know it's possible.

Really? I thought I nailed that thing down. It seemed pretty rock-solid when I was doing it, at least. As for the stylus though, there's no way someone is going to get a good real-time run for this game while using the stylus instead. The game plays horribly with it.

Quote:
Especially for a 15 minute run, you would think you'd try to get the record quality a bit higher seeing as it doesn't need to be setup for months and months.

I just used the setting Mike put it on, because he said something like "Fine should be ok." This was a good call too, because I was really close to running out of time by the end of the run. But if you meant the shake though, disregard this. Smiley

Quote:
The Paladin is used a lot in earlier levels to beat some upfront opponents.

Yeah, Jeigan's actually pretty useful considering he's not named Marth. Saves Rena's life with some ease (assuming Navarre doesn't roast him) and is very useful for Chapter 17.

Quote:
Marth switches weapons and healing items a bit and I think buys better items from shops.

No shopping is done, actually. This was one of the more drastic changes I made in one of the previous runs, because it turns out that you can just steal new gear from your allies and penny-pinch the Rapier to no end. As for the switching though, that's where I messed up...

Quote:
Auto-join ones, like Boah. Who has a larger default magic and therefore can warp farther in the larger levels.

Heh, you're thinking of Gameboy Advance style Warp staves. The one in this game is infinite range, so Boa's advantage is simply less experience gain per use. Tongue

Quote:
He... probably used Hammern to resore a Warp somewhere.

This is done at the very end of Chapter 20, because Rena was too busy glitch-warping on turn 1.

Quote:
The final battle in Fire Emblem can never be skipped, the animation I mean. Dunno why, but it's like that in other FE speedruns, regardless of options.

As a related fun fact, it's worth noting that only two other bosses in this game are not killed in self-defense. Chapter 13 because the guy is a ballista user and Chapter 15 because the Sage has a Swarm tome. Smiley

Anyway, thanks everybody for verifying and all that. I'm quite surprised that people had beef with the video quality even for the focused segments, because they looked fine to me. I also don't mind watching low quality MP4s though, so maybe that's part of it...
Fire Emblem?
I'm verifier 2. I'm slightly surprised this got accepted. It was a decent run, but could be improved.

Quote from Molotov:
Verifier 2, I remember manipulating most level ups early on. And while it's not really relevant, don't the odds of a super level actually go down the more you do it (thanks to dynamic growths)? The Speedwing you're thinking of was in Chapter 11, which is where I believe I always use it in any run. Also, while I understand the Vulneraries can be seen as not being optimal, trust me when I say that it's asking for a bit much to say that they shouldn't be used at all.

Dynamic growths never lower the chance below what it starts at. Therefore, the chances of getting moderate levels +DEF isn't too bad. As I said, if you got +2 SPD from levels earlier on, that Speedwing could simply be avoided. And if you got those +DEF and some +HP, I'd expect... most of the Vulneraries could be avoided. Ehh.

Quote from Molotov:
For the walls comment, I'm curious to know which ones you meant. I utterly hate the fact that they made the cursor lock up on walls like that, but I did things the best way I knew how. :/

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think one around chapter 10 (with Minerva) would have been quicker going left then up, though. IIRC going left/up and right/up would be the same speed as going straight up, so with a bit of practice that could be used to strafe around walls. Probably a little OTT in most cases though.

Quote from Molotov:
My personal best is only 25 seconds faster than this, so I'm kind of curious to know what you were expecting.

If your personal best is 25 seconds faster, in a run about 15 minutes long, that's a significant improvement just from that. I understand you were limited by having one day/afternoon, in which case I have to ask, why not do it in a few stages over a few months? Say, 5 segments at a time, spending a lot longer on each one. If you've gotten 25 seconds better than this before, then that might get you something like 30 seconds better than this.
Quote from I_eat_tables:
Dynamic growths never lower the chance below what it starts at. Therefore, the chances of getting moderate levels +DEF isn't too bad. As I said, if you got +2 SPD from levels earlier on, that Speedwing could simply be avoided. And if you got those +DEF and some +HP, I'd expect... most of the Vulneraries could be avoided. Ehh.

Keep in mind that since Marth always gets the Speedwings anyway, using them can kill two birds with one stone. Slight inventory reduction + yay stats. And using an item is like super short, so it just kind of feels nitpicky. Sorry. Sad

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure. I think one around chapter 10 (with Minerva) would have been quicker going left then up, though. IIRC going left/up and right/up would be the same speed as going straight up, so with a bit of practice that could be used to strafe around walls. Probably a little OTT in most cases though.

Left then up? That would ram right into the fort wall. Right-up -> left-up is not a bad idea though, but I honestly can't imagine any other chapters where it applies. Chapter 7 is probably the closest to the concept, but going down-left -> down-right would probably be totally absurd compared to just down.

Quote:
If your personal best is 25 seconds faster, in a run about 15 minutes long, that's a significant improvement just from that. I understand you were limited by having one day/afternoon, in which case I have to ask, why not do it in a few stages over a few months? Say, 5 segments at a time, spending a lot longer on each one. If you've gotten 25 seconds better than this before, then that might get you something like 30 seconds better than this.

I do wonder if things would be different if I had just never mentioned that record. Lesson learned there, definitely.

But anyway, Mike understandably wasn't eager to let me borrow the camera (which was what I first asked about), which would've let me take more time. He said I could come back to his house to spend more time on it, but that was probably more based on the fact that I was beyond tired throughout most of the run. Also probably just a courtesy thing, since I doubt he would've been pleased if I had accepted that offer.

If I manage to get a magical super camera, I may consider an improvement (don't count on it). DS recording is pure hell though, so I hope you understand where I'm coming from here.
So how did you record this run Molotov?  I really want to do an H5 Shadow Dragon run someday.
Quote from FionordeQuester:
So how did you record this run Molotov?  I really want to do an H5 Shadow Dragon run someday.

Mike's camera is a JVC Everio S GZ-MS130. It's surprisingly cheap on Amazon too, believe it or not. (I smell a potential birthday present...)

Doing a Hard 5 run is something I've been curious about as well, so it should be interesting to see what ideas you come up with. I'm sure it's just mostly double Warp action, but there's bound to be something deeper in there somewhere. Smiley