12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's very easy run as Cody (alpha version)

Verifier Responses

Note: Some of the responses refer to a previous run DK28 submitted that didn't have any backwards jumping (the fastest movement method).

Quote:
A couple of things I want to say before I verify this run.

-The GBA butchers the music, horribly. Sad

-Playing on very easy is weak. All of the enemies die too quickly, and you can spam specials with almost no penalty.

-The in-game autofire makes it easier to infinite, so it seems.

-I'm glad DK28 redid the run, because backwards jumping makes the run look so much better.

Those things being said, this run was very good. Every boss was infinited, the movement looked good, the runner got hit maybe 4 or 5 times (though that's a lot easier to do when there are 2-3 enemies, tops), and the special was utilized quite well. I saw maybe 10 seconds of mistakes tops.

The only thing that really stuck out was the second bonus stage - the runner didn't backwards jump, nor did he do the down+attack, attack combo in the air, which probably would have destroyed the stronger glass before landing.

After watching this run, I want to see a run done on the arcade version (via CCC), badly. AND NO VERY EASY.

Quote:
Faster moving method, lots more use of the spin kick, lots of enemy manipulation improvements.  Nothing bad can be said about this in relation to the earlier version.  There are still a few situations where the runner just punches in place and waits for enemies to walk in to it, but that's pretty much all you can do sometimes.

This verifier didn't pay too much attention when I said the run was played on very easy difficulty. Roll Eyes

Quote:
first off reiterating that i have never played the gba version of final fight, but you know that
to be honest the shitty gba sound is appalling, isn't this on ccc? i think the gba version is easier
i was lucky in that i took so long originally, there was an improvement heh
speaking of improvement, this run does have room for it, but it's more than good enough to accept
beat em ups are very tough to have everything go perfectly too
roughest part was probably the club and industrial area but it gets better from then on
his jabs were lightning fast, that and spinning kick were most of the attacking in the run
hopping backwards movement and killing guys offscreen was amusing and efficient
he clearly knows the entire game like the back of his hand
ps i miss macaw even though he thinks final fight is better than sor2

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a very good run, even though the arcade version is much better.

P.S. When does control end in this game? When the status bars start to disappear?
Thread title:  
Just call me the cynicism machine
Just consider the end when the last hit is landed on the last boss.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Nice, thank you verifiers.  Happy to see the new submission was approved.  Cheesy

Quote:
After watching this run, I want to see a run done on the arcade version (via CCC), badly. AND NO VERY EASY.

I agree, I think I even mentioned in my notes that the PS2 Collections version needs to be done.  It is on my "To-do" list.  Just got a couple things to take care of first.

Quote from Zurreco:
Just consider the end when the last hit is landed on the last boss.

I agree with this.  You can't move after the last hit on Belger.
Generic Text
If you do future Final Fight runs, you should totally use a real man's character: MIKE HAGGAR. Never played the series myself, but a description of him someone gave was enough to make me like the character instantly.
Master-88
Congrats DK28. Seems very good run. Wink

Huh this are taking long. Run is accepted almost 5 month ago. Until now its coming into site.  Tongue This are taking maybe longer than any other run  ever.
Clam
Hopefully this is taking forever because DK28 got his bloody act together and played the right version of the game this time.  Like seriously, why would you play Final Fight One as Cody when you can play...

REJECT.  Do it right next time, DK.
@ System Error: I know, I know.  I love the mayor.  He's in my main stable with DK and Zangief, he fits right in.

@ MASTER-88: Thank you.  It's worth the wait.  Smiley

@ Vice: That's funnier than Monkeyvania IV.  LOL.  Awesome, where do you put thos pics together?
Clam
I don't put anything together.  The games actually exist! Do your research next time!

Seriously though, I generally just grab some images I find from google searches and toy around with them in Photoshop.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Nice run as usual DK, good to see you beating down baddies again.

I wonder how many of our younger viewers got the Bloodsport reference.

Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!
Thanks Sinister1, I appreciate that.

And many bonus points for catching the reference.  I guess maybe we are a little old.  Wink
Talk to the Hand
I'll have to check out this run soon.

Although I agree with System Error that MIKE HAGGAR is the only correct character choice (And I've played quite a bit of Final Fight). How does he crack down on crime? Not by forming any wussy task force, no, he freaking suplexes and piledrives criminals into the pavement. One of my great sadnesses was finding out I couldn't create a Mike Haggar character in Dungeon Fighter Online (The "Grappler" specialty is female). Sad

Cody reminds me of that guy in high school. You know, the guy who wasn't just a jock, but was also valedictorian of the class and played an instrument in addition to being in the drama club. That guy. That guy is kind of a jerk (And I have no idea why I've formed this version of Cody in my head, but there it is).
I hear ya Emptyeye.  Love to hear your feedback after you watch it.  And like I said to System Error, I love the Mayor as well.  Directly related to why Zangief is my SF main.  But all this talk about Haggar has me this close to pausing my current project and picking this back up to do a run of Final Fight with him.

And about Cody, yeah, he's too goody good.  There must be something wrong with him....
Talk to the Hand
Well, I watched it with the commentary late last night. Good stuff overall, you clearly know the game very well. Somehow, it never occurred to me to attack enemies before they entered the screen throughout all the times I played Final Fight. And it's amazing how, given that specific difficulty configuration, spamming Extra Joy is the best move. I also loved how we independently came to the same conclusion about MIKE HAGGAR and his crime fighting methods. Hey, you can't say they didn't get results!

As for inbreeding within the Mad Gear gang, the issue isn't so much inbreeding as it is the Mad Gears' access to cloning technology. I mean, how many Hollywoods did you fight throughout the course of the run? It was a lot! That's why the Mad Gear are so dangerous.

Anyway, between when you did this run and it going on the site, Final Fight Double Impact (The title is a bit misleading in that the second game is Magic Sword) has since come out on XBLA and PSN. I'm willing to grab this if there are some other people from SDA that have it on 360 also, even just for casual Final Fight action.
Sad to say, but having played Final Fight on more difficult levels, I have to agree with Verifier #1 and I probably would have rejected this run on the difficulty level of it if I had verified it.  Very Easy just does not compare with the difficulty that most people play this game on and some of the grouping strategies among other things are not present on Very Easy.  There's an element of skill that goes with beating a game on at least default difficulty if not the hardest, and I think this run clearly goes against that.

Just my two cents.

-James
@ Emptyeye: LOL.  Yes they did get results, didn't they.  If only we had that form of government now.  And I never thought about cloning.  Maybe it's a combination of clones doing the inbreeding? 
And if I had a 360, I'd be all over double impact for the online.

@ Nightmare: Rejection based soley on difficulty setting isn't appropriate.  That's why there are different categories.  Anybody is welcome to do a "hardest" speedrun if they feel so inclined.  Smiley  But given that the game was not present at all, I just wanted to get Final Fight up on SDA. 
Quote from DK28:
@ Emptyeye: LOL.  Yes they did get results, didn't they.  If only we had that form of government now.  And I never thought about cloning.  Maybe it's a combination of clones doing the inbreeding? 
And if I had a 360, I'd be all over double impact for the online.

@ Nightmare: Rejection based soley on difficulty setting isn't appropriate.  That's why there are different categories.  Anybody is welcome to do a "hardest" speedrun if they feel so inclined.  Smiley  But given that the game was not present at all, I just wanted to get Final Fight up on SDA. 

I think the more applicable thing is "Could someone pick up a version of Final Fight and do something REASONABLE with your demo?"  (not exactly break it, but a fair speed run).  The answer is no for 2 reasons:

1.  The console and arcade versions take off WAY more damage for doing the spin kick so you can't abuse that nearly as much.
2.  The enemies don't die nearly as easy, even on Difficulty 1/1 on SNES Final Fight if you use the options code

While your run DOES look good, anybody who's played the game knows your run isn't exactly the most realistic run and doesn't represent the game very well.  That's why I would've rejected it personally.  Part of SDA's motto is "Playing the games skillfully and legitimately" according to their motto, and I don't think your run shows the best skill in relation to Final Fight.

I'm still trying to plan a speed run for the SNES version, but can't get it to look very pretty at all.  So it's on hold for now.  For anyone's general information, I'm down to 42:00 on my WR points run for TG if anyone's interested for a number estimate.  (know it's not good for sure)

-James
Exoray
"The way the game is supposed to be played" is a personal opinion to each viewer and certainly not something that is part of the SDA motto.

This has been thorughly discussed before so no reason bringing it up again.
Waiting hurts my soul...
How easy a game is hasn't ever restricted the possibility of a speedrun of it, and I don't think it should. It might not be representative of the skill level present in other runs, but it might still be interesting for viewers.
Quote from ZenicReverie:
How easy a game is hasn't ever restricted the possibility of a speedrun of it, and I don't think it should. It might not be representative of the skill level present in other runs, but it might still be interesting for viewers.

Agreed, it'd look good to the casual gamer.  But IDK how serious players would look at it.  I personally think it's skillless, but that could be just me from playing on 8/4 SNES Difficulty for most of my life.

-James
Don't MAKE me come down these stairs
Reminds me of "You Have to Burn the Rope..."
Quote from thri11ki11:
Reminds me of "You Have to Burn the Rope..."

The argument that's being made about difficulty, a little.
Actually running the game, no.  Wink

I don't think anybody would say that Final Fight isn't a game that deserves a speed run.  The difficulty argument is personal opinion, which is why I haven't said anything beyond my initial comment.

Just enjoy the run, or not.  That's personal opnion as well, which everyone is entitled to.
Clam
I'm much more of a casual gamer, and by that, yes, I suck at most video games.  One of the biggest appeals to this site is that I can see people destroy games that destroyed me.  There are a lot of games that I've played and died horribly, but have never bothered looking up just how far away I was from the end-- or just to see what the end was like.  Final Fight was one of those games.  So watching the run, I found out that I got much further than I thought, even though it was quite a ways from the end. And then end was pretty neat.

I have a bunch of friends that check out this site fairly often to see the runners here avenge their cruel defeats, and those friends have friends that come here for that very same reason. From reading posts around this board, especially stuff in verification-land, it seems like a lot of people don't think about us casual folks in regards to people who bring in a ton of traffic to the site.  Sure it is great to make sure that standards here are high, but I think sometimes they can be too high.  Same with expectations.  Sure, beating it on the hardest difficulty might drop everyone's jaws a bit more, but my kind just want to see the game played extremely well, even if it's on easy.
Balls jerky
Where can I "Like" that post?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I understand where Nightmare is coming from.

The version of Final Fight that kicked most kids' asses back in the day was normal difficulty, or 4 (out of 8) on the arcade version. To see a run done on easy might not be very impressive to these people who have memories of Final Fight being a lot harder. We have easy difficulty runs of Metal Slug on the site, and to be honest, I feel about the same way I Nightmare does with Final Fight. Yeah, the game is ripped through quickly, but I remember the game fighting back a lot more on higher difficulties and I'm not too impressed as a result.

I know there are people who just want to see the game run through as fast as possible, no matter what the difficulty is, and there are also people who just want to see a run of the game. It would be jerk-headed of me to deny anyone the opportunity to see a run just because it's on a difficulty lower than what I'm used to (or want), so I just silently disapprove with a touch of discontent. Wink

And no, I'm not badmouthing the run, it is well-done.

P.S. I'm the first verifier.
Quote from mikwuyma:
I understand where Nightmare is coming from.

The version of Final Fight that kicked most kids' asses back in the day was normal difficulty, or 4 (out of 8) on the arcade version. To see a run done on easy might not be very impressive to these people who have memories of Final Fight being a lot harder. We have easy difficulty runs of Metal Slug on the site, and to be honest, I feel about the same way I Nightmare does with Final Fight. Yeah, the game is ripped through quickly, but I remember the game fighting back a lot more on higher difficulties and I'm not too impressed as a result.

I know there are people who just want to see the game run through as fast as possible, no matter what the difficulty is, and there are also people who just want to see a run of the game. It would be jerk-headed of me to deny anyone the opportunity to see a run just because it's on a difficulty lower than what I'm used to (or want), so I just silently disapprove with a touch of discontent. Wink

And no, I'm not badmouthing the run, it is well-done.

P.S. I'm the first verifier.

:: cough :: Maybe I need to go back to SNES 8/4 planning :: cough ::

-James