List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Kari 'Essentia' Johnson's new game + run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Well, yes. Everything is just peachy except for the things the runner mentions, plus a small concern of mine:

Segment 21: Would it not make sense to swap some slower characters out front so you don't have to use Defend/Attack so often before Tidus Flees? Auron/Lulu perhaps.
(might be useful in other places but I noticed it mostly here)

Runner's suggested improvements might knock off 4 minutes in total perhaps? Is 10:21 so different from 10:25? Not enough for me.

Quote:
Hey, sorry if I'm late, but here are my comments about the FFX run.

No cheating, audio quality is fine even though the sound was weird at some places. Video quality is fine too, except before the very last battle where the screen freezes a little.

Now my comments for each segments :

Segment 1:
Not much to say, this segment is straightforward with some battles thrown at you. Ammes goes well (it can’t really go wrong anyway). Some luck involved with the reactor, Auron gets a critical to speed things up and Tidus dodges everything to avoid death. The fight against the Sahagins goes well too.

Segment 2:
Another straightforward segment. Gets the flint and the bouquet without problems. The battle against Klikk goes well. The runner didn’t need to heal and leave the battle with two more grenades. Gets only one encounter on the way to the ruins, which is rare.

Segment 3:
Finally something interesting is coming, the fight against Tros. Rikku gets the rare steal by stealing 3 grenades and with that the runner is able to end the fight without using the pincer attack. A very good fight, I don’t think you can do better than that.

Segment 4:
The Cloister of Trials goes well. Lose some time by missing the door when exiting the temple. Another good segment.

Segment 5:
Gets Valefor second overdrive “early”. If you wonder why the runner goes to the shop and leaves immediately it’s because the dog won’t give you the overdrive if you do not go there first. All the fights here go well, escaping the last tutorial battle to save some time.

Segment 6:
Nice fight against Sin. Echuilles didn’t stand a chance either with Tidus getting two critical and one Spiral Cut. Lose some time though by selecting Dark Attack with no MP, but nothing major.

Segment 7:
Tidus learns the always-helpful-in-a-speedrun Flee. The boss fight against Geneaux goes really well. Valefor gets its overdrive just in time for Lulu to finish off the boss with fire. Another good segment.

Segment 8:
Another great Cloister of Trials. A little bad luck on the way back from the temple when the runner gets ambushed. Except that it’s really just a long segment with a lot of scenes.

Segment 9:
Sells some useless equipment to O’aka and gets enough money to buy a weapon for Tidus, the Stunning Steel with Slowtouch, a really helpful weapon. You can’t really be faster than that against the machina and Oblitzerator. The runner must have redone this segment a lot of time to get the Thunder Ball which is really needed really soon.

Segment 10:
Not much to say, it’s only the blitzball game. The runner wins 1-0, the end.

Segment 11:
Thanks to the previous strength upgrade Tidus can now kill the Sahagin Chiefs with one attack. Wakka with the Thunder Ball can also kill them with one attack, but fails to do so twice so the runner loses some time there. Wakka dies against the Garuda. It could have been avoided by using Dark Attack. It’s still a good segment though besides… the… laughing scene…

Segment 12:
Mi’ihen Highroad, things should be interesting. Kimahri learns Self-Destruct which will probably help a lot against bosses. Tidus uses Spiral Cut against a Mi’ihen Fang, I don’t know why. I know the runner is going for Slice and Dice, but this Spiral Cut could have been more useful against a boss. Also a little mistake in a random encounter where Yuna attacks a monster for no reason. Gets all 26 Al-Bhed Primer in the shop, which will come in handy later. Good segment, the only way to improve this is to get less random encounter.

Segment 13:
Ah, the Chocobo Eater! Tidus, Wakka and Auron set things up by inflicting Slow, Darkness and Power Break respectively, although Power Break didn’t seem to work. Luckily Ifrit dodges an attack when the effect of Darkness was over and goes for the kill with his third and final Hellfire. A really great fight.

Segment 14:
The only way to improve this is to get fewer encounters.

Segment 15:
The fight against the infamous Gui. A pretty good fight overall with a little luck involved at the end with Valefor dodging Gui’s attack to avoid death and a possible restart. The only way to improve this fight is having Gui attack Auron instead of Tidus so you don’t have to revive Tidus. Using Power Break sooner might have helped him survive too. Nothing to say about the second battle against Gui, Seymour kills it without problem.

Segment 16:
Kimahri learns Stone Breath which will probably come in handy at the Al-Bhed Home. The Cloister of Trials goes well.

Segment 17:
The only way to improve this is to get fewer encounters.

Segment 18:
Extractor goes well. You just have to attack him non-stop. The runner is lucky too when Spiral Cut goes critical, which saves one or two more attacks.

Segment 19:
A long segment with nothing really interesting. Again the only way to improve this it to get fewer encounters on the way to Guadosalam.

Segment 20:
A quick segment. The runner is trying to get some Petrify Grenades, but only manage to get one in three attempts. It’s not the best way to get Petrify Grenades, but in a speedrun you don’t really have a choice.

Segment 21:
At first it seems getting the Yellow Shield is not worth it, but it will probably come in handy against Seymour. A little mistake after the scene where Rikku attacks a monster (you know Rikku always goes first ^^) but do not lose that much time because Rikku’s attack is quick enough. Oh I understand. In fact the runner doesn’t lose time. It seems it’s quicker to have Rikku attacks when she is in critical HP than to have her guard. Nice move. I wonder if it’s the same thing with Yuna earlier in the run. The runner gets struck by the lightning right after a battle, but no big deal. Getting fewer encounters won’t be faster because the runner needs Rikku’s overdrive for the next boss anyway.

Segment 22:
There is some problem in some random encounters where Tidus gets killed so the runner can’t use Flee. Fortunately Yuna always escapes safely. Again no real way to improve this except getting fewer encounters.

Segment 23:
The runner gets another really useful weapon for Tidus: the Sonic Steel. With that Tidus always gets the first turn (except in a few cases) so he can switch to any slower character that needs the first turn. Really needed to beat later bosses. The fight against Spherimorph goes really well, Rikku barely kills it with her overdrive. I’m not sure why Kimahri gets switched in, maybe he needed the AP to boost his HP.

Segment 24:
An excellent fight against Crawler. Killing the Negator is not really needed, but Rikku is then sure to survive the next round. Killing it or surviving Gatling Gun takes about the same amount of time.

Segment 25:
The only thing I can say is… wow! I didn’t see that coming. A lot of luck involved because if Seymour attacks the wrong character it pretty much means a restart. Shiva surviving the second Pain was really lucky too. I don’t think there is a faster way to do this battle (in a speedrun at least)

Segment 26:
Ah, Macalania’s Cloister of Trials. Nothing to improve here. The rest of the segment goes well too, the runner gets just enough encounters to give an overdrive to Rikku, Yuna, and Auron.

Segment 27:
Nice fight against the Wendigo. The only hard part is having Wendigo attacks Rikku to fill her overdrive.

Segment 28:
Only way to improve this is to get fewer encounters.

Segment 29:
Same as segment 28, but here the runner runs into a rock and loses some time. The only reason why these two segments are not together is because the runner tries to steal a Chocobo Wing in this segment which is a rare steal.

Segment 30:
Again, same as segment 28. The fight against the Sandragora is self-explanatory.

Segment 31:
Nice way to get Kimahri’s overdrive in the second fight. The runner forgets to bring back Tidus on the front row for the third fight so there is some time lost here.

Segment 32:
An awesome fight against Evrae, it can’t be faster than that. With three characters able to throw items the following battles are quite easy.

Segment 33:
The runner loses some time right from the start by missing the entrance. I don’t know why the runner didn’t restart here. Anyway an excellent Cloister of Trials again. And wow, no encounter in the Via Purifico!

Segment 34:
Shiva owns everything again. Getting only one battle against the Maze Larvae is nice too.

Segment 35:
Using a Phoenix down against Evrae doesn’t kill him so using two Elixirs is the way to go.

Segment 36:
Just the run on the Highbridge. No real way to improve this, the encounters are used to fill the overdrives.

Segment 37:
Another usually hard boss owned by Trio of 9999 and by luck. Because there are two targets in this battle and each hit by the gem hits a random enemy, 4 out of 5 attacks must hit Seymour. There is really nothing to improve here.

Segment 38:
Some bad luck when trying to steal Fire Gems where Kimahri failed to escape and Rikku failed to steal.

Segment 39:
Another quick boss battle. This time the boss has too much HP so one gem is not enough, but it’s no big deal because the boss can only attack one character at a time. The runner didn’t even get a single random encounter on the way to the save point. I would have saved before activating the scene though to save a little backtracking.

Segment 40:
Get probably the most useful piece of equipment in a speedrun; an armor with No Encounter. Too bad we can’t get it sooner.

Segment 41:
Nice fight against Biran and Yenke, nothing to improve here.

Segment 42:
Nothing much to say here. The runner fights some battles to get some useful items. After that it’s just a run to the save point with the No Encounters armor.

Segment 43:
Seymour looks like a wimp in this run. It’s like the last battle against Seymour. Out of the 13 attacks we see, 8 must hit Seymour. I can see no improvement here.

Segment 44:
Another quick boss fight against Sanctuary Keeper.

Segment 45:
The runner shows that she has a great memory by completing Zanarkand’s Cloister of Trials without any problem, even though sometimes the runner misses some square.

Segment 46:
Trio of 9999 + Fire gem with a twist.

Segment 47:
What else can I say? Another great fight with the help of Trio of 9999 and some gems. It’s funny how Yunalesca actually helps you survive Mega Death with her own attack.

Segment 48:
Nothing interesting here. The runner bribes a Flan to get some Fire Gems and that’s about it.

Segment 49:
Trio of 9999 galore! The runner has some problem though when selecting the right target for a Hi-Potion in the fight against the right fin. Except that each battle is fought as fast as possible.

Segment 50:
The runner goes back to Mount Gagazet to steal some Water Gems and fills Rikku’s overdrive. There is some time lost here because those gems could have been stolen from the first trip through Gagazet and Rikku’s overdrive could have been filled somewhere else.

Segment 51:
Slice and Dice at last! Rikku must be tired now of dieing all the time..

Segment 52:
For the third time Seymour doesn’t have the time to attack and jiggle to his death. Something really funny happens after the battle. When filling Rikku and Lulu’s overdrives, the runner actually loses time because Lulu evaded an attack. Funny, but sad for the runner.

Segment 53:
Behold the worst camera angle ever. The runner does a nice job when avoiding the pillars and collecting the crystals. At first I didn’t know why Slice and Dice was needed, but now I understand; Tidus can’t hit the Pagodas so every hit hits BFA. The second part is great too. Rikku gets killed yet again and because the Pagodas are stopped everything hits BFA and does just enough damage to kill him. The Aeons die in one hit and Yu Yevon is doomed (hohoho)

There are also a couple of places where the runner would run in the wrong direction (due to bad camera angle or just because Tidus runs like he's on the moon) but they don't really affect the time.

Overall this is a really great run. Almost every fight is optimized, everything was well planned and the only way to improve this run is like I already said many times; to get fewer encounters on some segments (if possible) and not going back to Gagazet on segment 50. A big accept from me.

Quote:
Absolutely amazing.  The planning that went into this, and sheer luck involved, make this an auto-accept.  A couple of ugly spots (Calm Lands come to mind), but you can't get much better without going to TASing.  No video/audio issues.

Accept this.  Yesterday.

Quote:
Skip to the end if you want a short look at what I think overall.

All estimates made before reading comments and are mostly guestimates!

Segment 1
This first segment is amazing. I had high expectations for this run but it exceeded them so far.  Not healing at all has very low chances of success, I noticed no mistakes and would have expected a heal at some point so the run is a few seconds ahead of where I expected it to be.
My estimated savable time 0-3 seconds

Save- 0:26
Load- 0:26

Segment 2
This segment was also solid; Kilik could probably been a little faster with manipulating criticals, but only by a few seconds nothing to worry over. Also the encounter with the piranha is avoidable though again a rare thing and only a few seconds.

My estimated savable time 10-20 seconds

Save- 0:35
Load- 0:35

Segment 3
The fight with the Piranahs on the ship could have been slightly better if an extra grenade had been stolen from Kilik and used, not a big deal though. Tros looked really good, rare steals are never fun. A second or so could have been saved by using the save before the last cut scene assuming the clock works like I think it does; a very small time saver though. This run is reminding me how much I wish cut scenes were skipable.

My estimated savable time 5-7 seconds

Save- 0:52
Load- 0:52

Segment 4
There are a couple of minor running mistakes that are to be expected with the wonky controls. Also adding a segment here rather than later probably costs a second or so.

My estimated savable time 2-4 seconds

Save- 1:17
Load- 1:17

Segment 5
Good easy segment, not much to say here.

Save- 1:27
Load- 1:27

Segment 6
Very solid segment, I didn’t realize you could win before the second blender having never raised stats that early, good find. A couple very minor walking errors but those are very hard to avoid given the way the controls work for this game.

Save- 1:51
Load- 1:51

Segment 7

Good boss fight, I’ve looked for a faster strat and haven’t come up with one so I’ll say it was about perfect. Good running overall too especially for a  windy section.

Save- 2:03
Load- 2:03

Segment 8

This wait is timed, I do the same thing when bored XP. Temples are a pain so good execution here, ignoring the treasure is the right choice.
Getting ambushed isn’t great but since the attack hit Tidus it’s ok
The rest of the segment is pretty easy and done well for the most part.

My estimated savable time 4-6 seconds

Save- 2:35
Load- 2:35

Segment 9

Early on in this segment we get to see what a pain it is to fill Tidus’s OD in the early stages of the game. I let the extra attacks go because of the extremely rare drop from Oblitzorator. (50% chance it’s a weapon, 10% that it is for Wakka so 1/50ish odds assuming it only drops lightning strike which I think it does)
The boss great

My estimated savable time 9-11 seconds

Save- 2:47
Load- 2:47

Segment 10

I hate blitzball, good job here for the most part though.

Save- 3:01
Load- 3:01

Segment 11

Battles after were superb save a couple chiefs that didn’t get killed in one hit. Made up for with the crit on the garuda+Tidus filled his OD.
After the fights it’s pretty easy

My estimated savable time 3-5 seconds

Save- 3:22
Load- 3:22

Segment 12

Not perfect but pretty good

Save- 3:38
Load- 3:38

Segment 13

Good boss fight, everything else was good too.

Save- 3:49
Load- 3:49

Segment 14

Not much to say here traveling was good. Could have saved a little time by saving before the cut scene. Not a big deal though,

Save- 3:58
Load- 3:58

Segment 15

I would have liked to see a critical self-destruct here, oh well.

My estimated savable time 55-70 seconds

Save- 4:15
Load- 4:15

Segment 16

I still think temples are a pain, good execution again. Also no time wasted on this one either, it’s another timed event. Not to much that can go wrong here, nice easy segment.

Save- 4:30
Load- 4:30

Segment 17

Another easy one.

Save- 4:39
Load- 4:39

Segment 18

Great fight here. Might be possible to make it faster, but not too much.

Save- 4:46
Load- 4:46

Segment 19

Guadosalam is probably the most boring part of the game, very cinematic heavy. Well executed though, and boy am I glad that chest is there!
Fairly easy for such a long segment.

Save- 5:13
Load- 5:13

Segment 20

Stealing from those lizards is a pain!

Save- 5:19
Load- 5:19

Segment 21

Not the best segment but not bad either

Save- 5:29
Load- 5:29

Segment 22

Petrify grenade #2  must have been fun to get. Decent segment though.

Save- 5:34
Load- 5:34

Segment 23

I love this boss strat.

Save- 5:41
Load- 5:41

Segment 24

Yay for boss fights; this one is solid too.

My estimated savable time 1-3 seconds

Save- 5:52
Load- 5:52

Segment 25

I hadn’t used summons against anima in so long that I didn’t realize he would cast 2 different spells against an aeon and had to make sure that was right (it is). Amazing fight.

Save- 6:01
Load- 6:01

Segment 26

Cloisters are still no fun especially long ones like this.

Save- 6:07
Load- 6:07

Segment 27

Well executed fight, about all there is to this one.

Save- 6:17
Load- 6:17

Segment 28

First fight was perfect, 6 smoke bombs is the max and the rest was just right too.

Save- 6:21
Load- 6:21

Segment 29

Cactaur are extremely rare in this section an the wing is a rare steal so I am very impressed with this section

Save- 6:24
Load- 6:24

Segment 30

Rest of the steals made, another good segment, getting that wing earlier makes this one much simpler.

Save- 6:28
Load- 6:28

Segment 31

Battles were all good; petrifaction is extremely helpful. Nice job filling Rikku’s OD as well. This part of the game is so sad, competes with the ending.

Save- 6:49
Load- 6:49

Segment 32

Enter the 9999 phase of the game. Evrae fight was good though stealing extra water gems might have helped down the line (4 would be perfect, though rare)
The other fights were good too

My estimated savable time 1-3 seconds (or 10-30 seconds)

Save- 7:06
Load- 7:06

Segment 33

I hate this cloister more than anything else in this game; I spent hour’s here the first time I played. Close to perfect execution here.

Save- 7:20
Load- 7:20

Segment 34

I’m not a fan of this method for charging Yuna’s OD but I can’t say it is slower than alternatives for sure.
Ifrit was perfect
Valefor This was pretty good, not sure if there is a faster way or not. I’m thinking Bahamut with Magic might be faster, but maybe not since Shiva’s OD animation is pretty fast.
Bahamut was perfect

My estimated savable time 2-25 seconds

Save- 7:28
Load- 7:28

Segment 35

Atlanta was perfect, there is supposed to be no sound here, so that’s fine too.
Good text skipping makes this scene amusing

Save- 7:36
Load- 7:36

Segment 36

Short but with reason

Save- 7:38
Load- 7:38

Segment 37

Perfect boss fight and boring cinematic, great execution

Save- 7:53
Load- 7:53

Segment 38

Not perfect but stealing segments rarely are, good segment overall.

Save- 7:59
Load- 7:59

Segment 39

Great boss, the running back to the save point costs about 6 seconds butt the odds of getting the needed equipment are dismally low (IIRC ~10% encounter rate, 20% drop rate, 25% chance dropped equipment is a no encounters armor 60% chance it is for Rikku/Tidus/Wakka.)

Save- 8:03
Load- 8:03

Segment 40

Could have been slightly faster with both the fight and getting the encounter but again odds are dismal.

Save- 8:04
Load- 8:04 

Segment 41

Saving here costs some time though some encounter manipulation is coming up so its acceptable.

Save- 8:13
Load- 8:13 

Segment 42

Small mistake here (missing a steal) will cost a bunch of time later, other than that it was good.

Save- 8:18
Load- 8:18 

Segment 43

Boss was perfect, good segment.

Save- 8:30
Load- 8:30 

Segment 44

No encounters makes things a lot easier. Steals & boss were solid, good segment.

Save- 8:51
Load- 8:51 

Segment 45

Perfect OD charging and impressive memorization here.

Save- 8:59
Load- 8:59 

Segment 46

Simple luck manipulation here, perfect fight again.

Save- 9:01
Load- 9:01

Segment 47

Pretty simple fight which was well done, some running around after too.

Save- 9:23
Load- 9:23

Segment 48

Bribing fight could have been slightly better (assuming mech would fill rikku’s OD in one hit) but not much.

Save- 9:32
Load- 9:32

Segment 49

Bit if manipulation here in the boss fights, went well though.

Save- 9:48
Load- 9:48

Segment 50

Here is where that mistake costs time. I couldn’t fairly judge the amount of time it costs but it isn’t much more than a minute tops. The boss was good (obviously easy).

My estimated savable time 30-70 seconds

Save- 9:55
Load- 9:55

Segment 51

Tough running section went pretty well, so did OD charging

Save- 9:57
Load- 9:57

Segment 52

The reason water gems are needed as opposed to fire. Charging OD’s could have been slightly faster.

Save- 10:01
Load- 10:01

Segment 53

And cue the final boss! Collecting gems here is the hard part and it was done very well here. Very good job with both BFA the Aeons and Yu Yevon as well. Using Shiva instead of Valefor was a very good idea.

Final time (just a personal estimate, not necessarily an accurate time!)- 10:24

Total estimated saveable time: 206-421 seconds (about 3½-7 minutes)

On a run this long having a 3½ minutes worth of saveable time is incredible, especially when you consider my standards were pretty high and that this beats the previous run by 1½ hours . This run overall demonstrated amazing performance and quality. This run was good enough to convince me to give up my hopes of running this as a simple new game file (the main difference would be 2 boss fights and a chocobo race, an overall difference of around a ½ hour) and instead look for other ways I could run it. (100% you’ve been warned!)

Needless to say I give this run a pass.

Quote:
Speedrun comments:

First off I'm extremely happy that someone is attempting this run in the first place.  This is a massive undertaking and even finishing the run deserves praise.

There were a few minor movement mistakes and a couple parts where planning wasn't that polished, but all in all I feel that this run deserves to be published due to some great boss strategies and luck manipulation.

Total time: 10:24(at the point of boss death but not counting the death animation)
                10:25(if you do count it)

Decision: Accept

Reason: Essentia managed to take an 11 run down to less than 10 and a half hours.

Also, to the verifier who thinks the run should be rejected based on four minutes worth of mistakes, I would agree for a 1 hour run, but this run is over 10 hours long.
Thread title:  
contraddicted
Quote from mikwuyma:
Also, to the verifier who thinks the run should be rejected based on four minutes worth of mistakes, I would agree for a 1 hour run, but this run is over 10 hours long.

WTF?
Because of four minutes?
The run is more than 600 minutes long, so that's about 0,6%. By that standard, a 15 minute run might be off about 5.4 seconds. Let's say 8 for a SS run. And I can't think of much runs that would have made it onto the site if set the limbo pole of time THAT low  Roll Eyes
Everything's better with Magitek
Edit: Was the first verifier actually rejecting the run?  That's not the way I read it.

Yay!  Thanks to all the verifiers for sitting through this entire run.  I'm going to respond to some of the comments:

Quote:
Segment 21: Would it not make sense to swap some slower characters out front so you don't have to use Defend/Attack so often before Tidus Flees? Auron/Lulu perhaps.
(might be useful in other places but I noticed it mostly here)

I kept Yuna and Rikku in the party so that their overdrives could get charged.

Quote:
Wakka dies against the Garuda. It could have been avoided by using Dark Attack.

I wanted Garuda to charge Tidus's overdrive, and Dark Attack would have prevented this.  Besides, Wakka doesn't need any AP.

Quote:
Tidus uses Spiral Cut against a Mi’ihen Fang, I don’t know why. I know the runner is going for Slice and Dice, but this Spiral Cut could have been more useful against a boss. Also a little mistake in a random encounter where Yuna attacks a monster for no reason.

The Spiral Cut on the Mi'ihen Fang gives Yuna just enough AP to increase her magic for Gui.  I had Yuna attack because it's faster to attack than defend when a character has critical HP (more noticeable with Rikku); it looks like you realized that later on. Smiley

Quote:
The only way to improve this fight is having Gui attack Auron instead of Tidus so you don’t have to revive Tidus. Using Power Break sooner might have helped him survive too.

I wanted Tidus to die so that his overdrive would get charged, so I purposely waited to use Power Break until that happened.

Quote:
Killing the Negator is not really needed, but Rikku is then sure to survive the next round.

Crawler doesn't do its Assault counterattack unless Negator is gone, which is what I used to fill Rikku's OD.

Quote:
The runner forgets to bring back Tidus on the front row for the third fight so there is some time lost here.

I purposely left Tidus out.  I needed the enemies to fill Rikku's OD, and it was faster to leave Tidus out so the enemies would get the first turn.

Quote:
When filling Rikku and Lulu’s overdrives, the runner actually loses time because Lulu evaded an attack.

I know, but a better battle wouldn't have changed my final time, since the last time in the menu is rounded up to the next minute, and it was something like 10:01:57. Wink

Quote:
Kilik could probably been a little faster with manipulating criticals, but only by a few seconds nothing to worry over.

I was more worried about Klikk charging Tidus's OD as much as possible, or he wouldn't get an OD for Euchilles.

Quote:
I’m not a fan of this method for charging Yuna’s OD but I can’t say it is slower than alternatives for sure.

Is there another way to charge her OD here?

Quote:
Valefor This was pretty good, not sure if there is a faster way or not. I’m thinking Bahamut with Magic might be faster, but maybe not since Shiva’s OD animation is pretty fast.

I'll admit that I mever tried using Bahamut instead of Shiva, but Shiva's magic and agility are a lot higher than Bahamut's.

Quote:
Bribing fight could have been slightly better (assuming mech would fill rikku’s OD in one hit) but not much.

Unfortunately, the machina wouldn't fill her OD in one hit.  Only the flan's Firaga would have completely filled it in one hit, and it got bribed away.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I guess I read the first verifier's response incorrectly, whoops.
Balls jerky
For a run this long, this certainly flew through the whole process with a speed I would have never imagined. Hopefully it flies through the rest of it as well... Cheesy

Can't wait to see it.
Quote from Essentia:
I was more worried about Klikk charging Tidus's OD as much as possible, or he wouldn't get an OD for Euchilles.

That makes sense, I'll retract that criticism

Quote:

I was thinking something involving not raising her HP

Quote:
I'll admit that I mever tried using Bahamut instead of Shiva, but Shiva's magic and agility are a lot higher than Bahamut's.

Bahamut has aga spells though  Wink

Quote:
Unfortunately, the machina wouldn't fill her OD in one hit.  Only the flan's Firaga would have completely filled it in one hit, and it got bribed away.

This speaks for itself

Many praises on this run and thanks for the nod in the credits  Grin
Quote from Gaverion:
Quote:

I was thinking something involving not raising her HP

She needed enough HP to survive the Larvae's watera attack.  I guess I could have left out one of the HP+200 nodes, which might have gotten her OD one turn sooner, but I would still have had to give it to her after the Larvae because all those HP nodes raise Shiva's strength as well, which helps with Isaaru's Bahamut.
sda loyalist
Uh, yeah, that first verifier was me, and I was accepting. :p What I meant was 'seeing as 10:21 is not that much different from 10:25 (and this run is very unlikely to get improved solely for that) I say yes'.

You'll know when something is borderline because I write a book about it.
You spoony bard!
And she does it again, folks!  How many more can she utterly dominate?  Could she be the Gardikis/Stanski of Final Fantasy?!  Tune in next run to find out!

Congrats, Essentia, on another kickass performance! Cheesy
contraddicted
Quote from mikwuyma:
I guess I read the first verifier's response incorrectly, whoops.

This obsoletes my comment then Grin

Essentia:
I completely forgot to congratulate you Shocked
Congratulations on getting this one up Smiley
Quote from Essentia:
Quote:
Wakka dies against the Garuda. It could have been avoided by using Dark Attack.

I wanted Garuda to charge Tidus's overdrive, and Dark Attack would have prevented this.  Besides, Wakka doesn't need any AP.

Quote:
Tidus uses Spiral Cut against a Mi’ihen Fang, I don’t know why. I know the runner is going for Slice and Dice, but this Spiral Cut could have been more useful against a boss. Also a little mistake in a random encounter where Yuna attacks a monster for no reason.

The Spiral Cut on the Mi'ihen Fang gives Yuna just enough AP to increase her magic for Gui.  I had Yuna attack because it's faster to attack than defend when a character has critical HP (more noticeable with Rikku); it looks like you realized that later on. Smiley

Quote:
The only way to improve this fight is having Gui attack Auron instead of Tidus so you don’t have to revive Tidus. Using Power Break sooner might have helped him survive too.

I wanted Tidus to die so that his overdrive would get charged, so I purposely waited to use Power Break until that happened.

Quote:
Killing the Negator is not really needed, but Rikku is then sure to survive the next round.

Crawler doesn't do its Assault counterattack unless Negator is gone, which is what I used to fill Rikku's OD.

Quote:
The runner forgets to bring back Tidus on the front row for the third fight so there is some time lost here.

I purposely left Tidus out.  I needed the enemies to fill Rikku's OD, and it was faster to leave Tidus out so the enemies would get the first turn.

I know, you explained all this in your comments. I read them after watching the run and didn't feel like changing every comments ^^

Anyway I'll say it again, congrats for your awesome run. Is FFXII next ? Shocked
Quote from Kharg:
Is FFXII next ? Shocked

LOL!  At this very moment, I'm actually in the middle of a practice FFXII run.  I just got to the beginning of the Pharos with a time of 6:39:04.  I'm not saying that I'll complete a run of it for SDA, but I suppose it's a possibility. Smiley
Haha, already in another practice run even after a 10 hour speedrun. Even if it's not my favorite game, I'll look forward for a run of FFXII, it should be entertaining and not boring compared to a normal game.
sda loyalist
Yeah, I followed the FFXII discussion thread pretty tightly a while ago, and I'm sure it'll be cool.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
<.< You know I never submitted my comments on the run for verification >.> Eh guess everyone else who submitted theirs would override mine anyway if I didn't accept, though I do. Cursed school and life taking time out to watch it. x_x

Congrats Essentia on your run! And making wanna do a single segment run.(Yeah I'm masochistic now).
No pain, no gain
Good job, Essentia!  You rock!

Now all you have to do is give me back my Super Nintendo, along with FFVI and Donkey Kong Country, and you'll almost be perfect.  Almost.  Tongue

And, no, I'm never gonna stop making fun of you for using my stuff for speed-running without my permission.  Wink