David Heidman Jr.'s run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Mr. Uyama,
  DD for ya.

Audio/Visual = good
Cheating = None

Double your Dragon, double your fun:

Mission 1, that's mission, not level - The sucker punch to your broad in the beginning is as classic as always.  And the run here is close to perfect.

Mission 2 - Dy-No-Mite, literally.  But that Linda totally handled you man.  Fugly.

Mission 3 - It sounds so refreshing when they fall in the water.  Double Abobo looks much better this way.  Stalactite to the dome!  (Can I be the first verifier on record as using the term "Stalactite"?)  Not once, but twice.  The rest is clean.

Mission 4 - Almost dies to the pop-out stones.  Just passing them is a victory on it's own merit.  See ya Abobo.  Finally gets a kill from mounting a bad guy, nice.  The Final Room is a thing of beauty.

Needless to say I accept.  The trilogy is finally complete.  From no NES Double Dragon runs before February '09, to all three now, Epic.

And now we can take this game off the "Speed Run Request Thread" Heidman.  Wink  Congrats!

Quote:
Okay, it's a lot easier to point out the mistakes than what went smoothly or perfectly

-Some Lindas in level 2 knocked him down.
-A stalactite knocked him down (I think he would have been hit even if he didn't headbutt by accident, stupid double-tap motion)
-Had a bit of trouble with the Chins in stage 3
-The blocks were jerks in stage 4 (completely random).

Considering two out of the four mistakes weren't even the runner's fault, I'd say it's going to be very very very very difficult to improve this run, if it ever does get improved. BTW, nice job of killing the stage 2 boss with the TAS strat.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Heidman completes the Double Dragon NES trilogy.
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
these verifier comments definitely do not effectively convey how much heidman raged to crank out this run

it was great
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I missed the raging. Sad
Willing to teach you the impossible
Thanks, but I have to say there is room for improvement. I am sure I could point out at least a dozen mistakes. But this run is solid. Thanks for the support all. And thanks for the verification.

(note to mike, fix second quote)

Just before I could hit the post button, rom came in. I <3 Rom

(them mike fixes the quote) posting now
Don't MAKE me come down these stairs
Congrats on the run, Heid. You're really cranking them out!
Thanks. Some games just come natural to me. Such as this and Super Double Dragon. I am still working on other runs. Like my Low% Super C. That has been going on for way too long IMO. But I will do what needs to be done to get that run finished.
Everybody's favorite monster
Heidman strikes again!
Is PJ
That run is amazing, Heidman!  Congrats.  Wink
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Incredible run Heidman!  Another well deserved accept.  Smiley
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Nicely done Heidman! Would you ever take on Double Dragon II or III?
I did look into DD II, I think there is time to come off. I have never even seen any game play from DD III, so i have no idea. I only know you can change chars in game and a run was done not too long ago. Perhaps if I saw it, I could make judgment. But again, it all comes down to me having a cart to work with, being that I refuse to use emulators.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
DD II can go under 11:10 if you are a supreme master, which clearly you are. My best time was 11:09 when I was not recording (marathon practice last year). We should try some two player DD II at the marathon Smiley
I have never played DD II though, will take me some time to learn the game.
berserker status
Congrats Heidman, I watched the other run you did so this one must be stupid good.  The DD III run that was submitted was done by me and I think it will be about 14:14.  It's possible to get it under 14' for sure though something I'm sure you can accomplish if you try hard enough.  DD II requires ridiculous consistent timing with the knee...
Do you have a copy of your run I could see? PM me if you do, I could look into it a bit and perhaps study up on the game
Cigar Man
Sweet.  I'm glad that SDA will finally be getting a Double Dragon run.
berserker status
Unfortunately, I don't.  I uploaded a crappy streamed version of the run on the game's thread in the older consoles somewhere but the quality is so bad that it defeats the purpose of putting it up in the first place really.  If you really want to look into it, I would strongly suggest looking at the TAS over at tasvideos since pretty much every technique used in there is applicable in a real-time run with the exception of the precision with which Chin destroys his foes...but I could be wrong on that account (except against certain enemies and bosses such as the Mummies...they annihilate anything within reach).  Or you could just wait till it's posted which shouldn't be too long I wager.
Sinister, I really think your run can be improved by a bunch really. Not sure how much till I can do some tests, but I think I can shave a bunch off of it. Or you can.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
A bunch, really?? IMHO just under 11:00 would be the absolute low and that is with almost zero mistakes and probably the mission 6 glitch. I am still working on mtpo but maybe I will try for sub 11 someday, or if you beat my run I will probably be motivated to play again. Please let me know if you find any new strats that you think are more optimal because I felt like I had really optimal strats (a few of which were not seen in that run).
PM me the strats, I might be thinking about the same things. I will send you my ideas as well