List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DonkeyKongCountry.html

Timothy 'tjp7154' Peters's run with the warp glitch

Verifier Responses

Quote:
No apparent problems or hiccups in the audio/visual quality. I've seen better from a visual quality standpoint, but it's not bad, per se.

The run itself is remarkably smooth and shows exceptional tenacity with Diddy's roll and roll-enemy-roll chaining; what mistakes that exist, are quite negligible in the wake of the seriously exemplary running on display here.

Really, that'd just be copy/pasted a bunch of times if I were to do notes on all the individual levels, but here are a few that stand out for me:

Jungle Hijinks: could this actually be any more optimized? Other than the DK hit switch-out, it's pretty much constant forward motion, and I don't think you could ask for much more than that.

Snow Barrel Blast: Props for the chain Necky bouncing going on here. It's optimized, yeah, but it's also friggin' awesome to watch.

Torchlight Trouble: just...Torchlight Trouble. I'm hard pressed to call it the highlight of the run, though, because there are quite literally none in the level, but...

Oil Drum Alley: Diddy soldiers on through fire itself without so much as flinching, because he is a grade A pimp chimp devoted to getting that banana hoard back. Of particular note are the roll-chain jumps from below to higher ground; even if it's not that hard with practice, it looks impressive no matter what.

Poison Pond: Losing Enguarde briefly doesn't exactly look good, but like I said, it's negligible in the wake of so many close shaves in the level that do work for him.

Mine Cart Madness: This is actually the first time I've seen that...thing...in MCM. And it's awesome; looks pretty well optimized from here.

Loopy Lights: And just as my wandering mind was contemplating the fringe logic of DK's banana hoard (wouldn't most of it go bad?), his rolling into a Klaptrap head-on and killing it snaps me right out of it.

Platform Perils: He could have had a costly death in this stage and it would still be a great run, but instead he pulls out a real showstopper.

No evidence of cheating. Just pure, unleaded game juice.

To reject such a stylish, optimized run would be to inflict a K.Rool fate on us all; I say accept.

Quote:
Verifier: I guess I can give you my comments for the DKC verifying
Verifier: One word: Excellent
me: okay you will go on record saying excellent
me: without criticism
me: you'll be destroying your image!
Verifier: HMm, true
Verifier: I should complain about lost frames
Verifier: I still think he could get 00:22 in the ingame timer by using some riskier tricks (Some that aren't really too hard to do with some practice) but the run is still very good
me: okay that is an acceptable Tompa answer
Verifier: Thanks Smiley

Quote:
This run uses major hacks. Right after the first level the runner uses a map glitch that warps him to the third quarter of the third world, so this has to be a different category than the one already up there. Maybe it’ll stay in an “All worlds” category while this one gets a newly created “Major skips” one?

- Every water level is boring as hell and contains little to no cool stuff, so I won’t waste time reviewing them individually.
- For some reason in Ice Age Alley, the runner can run through (not “over” as he does later) a vulture when he’s on Expresso. The hit boxes are weird.
- He runs through Torchlight Trouble without the torch. This guy must be crazy, and cheating, because he jumps through the flames of countless oil barrels without getting hit. I hope someone witnessed this guy’s speedrun and can prove his innocence, but it’s not like he did this in front of like, ten people, right?
- The guy is cartwheeling right into the flames in Oil Drum Alley in more ways than he did in Torchlight Trouble, and still not getting hit. I’m beginning to grow more suspicious since his name given is M. U. Layter.
- Oh wow, a legit skip in Tick Track Trek, that’s a nice change.
- Mine Cart MADNESS contains lots of madness and no mayhem, unlike what the runner’s comments want us to believe. Diddy is truly a magic monkey.
- Of course he does Loopy Lights with the lights off again like some sort of gaming god. He also cartwheels into the first Claptrap, which for some reason doesn’t get rid of Diddy.
- I guarantee that tagging DK after the final stomp to King K. Rool caused the timer to tick from 0:22 over to 0:23. I hope you’re happy with yourself, speedblunderer.

Decision: Rejected for being too suspiciously good for SDA.

Seriously though, I didn’t know it was possible to be this good at the game. The mistakes are so tiny and noticeable only to Donkey Kong Country experts that this run appears flawless. The tactics and skips that get used also make it really entertaining to watch.
This speedrun is truly perfect. If you do not accept this amazing new generation of Donkey Kong madness, you are stupid.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Well it's tjp and DKC, what do you expect?
Thread title:  
#Casual
Hehehehe.  They didn't notice I used SuperSpecialAwesomeSNESEmulator, hehehe....

Sheesh.  It sure didn't take long for this to go through.  Wow.  I am glad that all those single-segment shenanigans bore some fruit...

Thank you verifiers.

Also, I am remiss in not thanking Tompa for his help -- he helped a lot (again) on this one.

What was the official final time, by the way... (unless I missed it)

I suppose if I do any more DKC, I'll be doing the 100% -- but only after I do some other games for a break...
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from tjp7154:
What was the official final time, by the way... (unless I missed it)

The third verifier notes that it's 0:23.
Good job on the run at least, Tim! But I do expect the 00:22 one day (And a segmented 00:21 that kicks the elbow out of Tanked Up Trouble)

Take a rest first, as mentioned. That could hopefully give me some time to get the equipment I need to record myself :).
that Metroidvania guy
it was really awesome to download and rewatch this (was better seeing it live on your stream of course)!

i hope there is an improvement later on with even more tompa tricks Grin
#Casual
To be honest, yeah, there might be.  I just need to get a few tricks under wraps.  I'll probably knock out the 100% SS first, though.  Who needs segmented? Wink Tongue
Edit history:
Tompa: 2010-10-10 12:45:05 pm
You know there are more stuff to include, Tjp, you know ;).
http://tasvideos.org/2876S.html

Also, can just as well write a congrats here as well!
What the shi-

This run was an unbelievably Kongarific watch.
#Casual
Nice nice nice, Tompa!  I gotta use that trick to end my marathon speedrun!!!
welcome to the machine
At about 10:46, is it possible to wait half a second for the first kremling to finish a jump, then roll through it and the others in quick succession?  it looks like you could get a 4-chain, which would make up the time spent waiting and then some.

Regardless, nice run. Smiley  Platform Perils was my favorite.
#Casual
I'm glad you like that, becauses my next run will have a WHOLE DIFFERENT ENDING to Platform Perils Wink
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-10-12 05:38:51 pm
Master-88
New TAS was incredible fast. New big time saver warp glitch was truly cool one. Its look quite hard but i think this could be used next console speedrun.

That pretty sad tjp did this run way too early. Now you can drop your time a lot especially used new 1-1 warp glitch. 
Sounds like Ocarina of Time. New time is obsoleted within 5 minutes because new tricks are found like every day..
Is PJ
That TAS is amazing.  I especially <3 level 1-1. 
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2010-10-12 06:46:28 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
What new TAS?? I dont see anything at TASvideos

Edit: Found it... That was slick but... what did he do exactly?
Is PJ
Quote from Heidman:
What new TAS?? I dont see anything at TASvideos

Edit: Found it... That was slick but... what did he do exactly?

Everything he wasn't supposed to.  ^_^
#Casual
I know EXACTLY what he did Wink  I'm a'hidin' secrets!!!

Just kidding, I'll post it in the DKC thread since I was waiting for Tompa's TAS to finally come out.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Awesome tjp7154.  DK done right.  And you even let him take the credit for K. Rool.  Nice!

Snow Barrel Blast and Loopy Lights = Shocked

Are sure En Guarde wouldn't be faster in croctopus chase though?  Although in a run this smokin', I suppose a few seconds isn't a big deal.
#Casual
I made that Enguarde mistake my last run.  It's faster just to swim to the end.