Hard difficulty run by mememememe

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: i am really impressed by level 2 and 4 the most
Verifier: i think those are the strongest
Verifier: and the last level
Verifier: so good job

Quote:
Thanks for letting me be a verifier on this Contra 3 run.  After watching the video several times, my opinion is that you should Accept this submission.  My reasoning is as follows:

-Audio/Video quality consistent throughout (no lag, skipping, or overpeaked audio)

-I couldn't detect any signs of cheating

-Hardest difficulty

-No deaths

-Runner demonstrates a high level of technique and skill

-Individual level notes:

Stage 1:  Player keeps moving, stopping only to destroy both shield walls, obliterates midboss with laser/crush combo, and introduces the end boss to the dual-crush combo.

Stage 2: First top-down level, and this is probably my favorite part of this submission due to how quickly the player blows all five hatches, and how many times he comes within mere pixels of dying (I counted at least 8 close calls).  With a little rotation, the stage boss kindly lands with his weak point facing the player and dies shortly thereafter.

Stage 3: First part of the stage goes well, save for a little slip-up on the first rotating lift that probably didn't even cost a tenth of a second.  Slight mistake on the first miniboss fight, where the player's first volley of shots lands a little high on the right side of the boss, but again, a negligible amount of time lost.  The climbing miniboss proves to be a little uncooperative, but he dies quickly.  Player goes a nice job of avoiding the sniper fire, and goes on to kill the mosquito-miniboss and the stage boss without a hitch.

Stage 4: After escaping the tunnel, the runner takes care of the tank-enemy before it really gets a chance to do anything.  Making his way underneath the spaceship without incident, the player denies the grapple-ninja any hope of a helicopter ride and has a fairly epic fight against the spaceship itself.

Stage 5: Second top-down level, player does some tricky ledge side-stepping to save time, and moves nicely across some fairly narrow pathways.  Stage boss arbitrarily decides to send out a snake from the player's side (instead of across from the player, which it usually does), blocking some of the initial shots, but the rest of the fight goes well.

Stage 6: First part of the stage goes smoothly.  Player kills Red Falcon's heart without any problems, and manages to kill the mole-boss before it re-submerges.  Gargoyle boss could be done maybe 1-2 seconds quicker, but it's  very  difficult.  Player kills Red Falcon's first form quickly, manipulating the right arm to snake into the upper left part of the screen so it never hits him.  The fight against the Brain goes well except for the player accidentally shooting the 'wrong' power twice, but it doesn't cost more than a few seconds overall and I think it helps add a little variety to what is oftentimes a fairly monotonous boss fight.  To top it all off, the kill on the Metal Brain is among the quickest I've seen.

Again, I feel that this run is of very high quality overall and ought to be accepted for publication.

Quote:
Okay Mike, here are my comments.  Let me know if there's anything wrong with the format or if you need me to redo anything as I obviously haven't done this before.

---------------
Do you even need to look at my comments to know that this run will be accepted?  Most of the things that I’m going to point out are little nitpicks.    What makes this run so great is that it maintains a consistent level of execution throughout.  Sure, you might be able to do little bits and pieces of this run a tiny little bit faster, but to do everything so well and so consistently is nigh impossible.  The suggestions are there if anyone wants to try.  Good luck taking this run down.  You’re going to need a lot of it.  I also want to call attention in my comments to some of the improvements that people who haven’t competitively run this game might not notice.

Stage 1
Does the runner think that a person can shoot spread faster than Frezy with rapid fire and two guns?  Hands down, double spread is the fastest way to do things for the first part of this stage.  The runner did the ducking trick in front of the base wall perfectly.  I love how small the character’s hit box is while you duck.  Not using the tank is a regrettable but necessary sacrifice in the name of speed.  The runner could have done something more boastful or constructive while waiting for the shower of napalm.  One thing to point out is that the runner makes it past the “volcano” without using a bomb to avoid lag.

I don’t know if people will appreciate how much work goes into killing that boss point blank.  Most of the time, the boss will get a shot off and just kill you before it dies.  You have to be almost point blank, but not exactly overlapping as the feet can kill you, and press the X button maniacally.  It saves a lot of time, but this risky trick means only about 30% of runs will make it out of the first stage.  This makes the finished product even more impressive.

Stage 2
This stage shows really shows off the time saved by strafing (diagonal walking for you non Goldeneye players).  I was particularly impressed by the way that the runner destroyed the bunkers.  This was a thorn in the side of previous attempts.  The difficulty in doing this is that you’re not facing enemies that come appear directly in front of you and you can see some very skilful dodges in the video to make up for this.  The stage was perfect.  It is possible to do the boss a little bit faster, but anyone who has actually tried knows what a pain this is.

Stage 3
The trip across the railing with the mosquitoes went pretty well.  The first part of the red core robot fight went very well. The runner saves several seconds here by destroying it before having to jump off the pole.  For the second part of that fight, the runner ended up taking an extra moment to get the mid boss lined up but it probably doesn’t cost more than a second.  The runner more than makes up for that by climbing up the wall past the snipers very quickly.  Again, not using a bomb avoids lag and saves time.  The searchlight robot was destroyed quickly.  Take note of the way the runner collects the barrier and runs across the screen.  This is a much faster strategy.  Also by destroying the door in the next section while being at the right of the screen manipulates the camera scrolling and makes the jump onto the spinning pole easy.  This run corrects the mistakes that the last runner made in the following jumps.

If I could find a single notable mistake in this run, it will be the first part of the boss fight with the robots.  Maybe it was to give those foolhardy enough to challenge it a faint glimmer of hope.  Best practice is to always go for the red robot (Is it really red?  I don’t know what other color to say) first.  You can see that the runner has to adjust positioning a few times to prevent from getting squashed on the ceiling by the jumping red robot.  The runner was in position to destroy the blue robot’s torso quickly, but the red torso’s chaotic movements lost a little time.  I’m sure people will be surprised at the boss.  You don’t need to be TAS to destroy it in a matter of seconds.  The crush gun is very powerful up close.  This saves about ten seconds.

Stage 4
This stage has some notable improvements.  One to call to attention is the way the runner takes out the hanging soldiers.  Out of luck or skill the hanging soldier from the monkey bars stays on the left and gets blown off by a nice salvo of crush missiles.  He can go all over the place and it can cost precious seconds.

The boss fight was done very well.  There’s a certain rhythm to the way the boss moves left and right throughout the battle and if you can fire crush while it moves left, you do heavy damage.  I think people will be impressed when they see how fast these turrets can be taken out.  Use your bomb when you’re closer to the boss to do more damage.  The second part of the boss fight went pretty well.

Stage 5
The last run didn’t show the corner trick.  This one uses it right at the beginning.  So far, this is the first non TAS run to do it that I’m aware of.  It’s a devil to pull off and to do it so quickly is epic.  There was some amazing strafing in this stage.  Again, the runner destroys the bunkers quickly  The only little nitpick I have is the way the runner attacks the bunker in the spinning  circles area of the stage.  By turning to the left a bit more before you step on the circles, you’ll be perfectly centered on the bunker by the time you double tap.  Other than that the stage went perfect.

The boss was extremely fast.  The runner even got up close for additional damage, which is a very daring move.  You’ll see in TAS runs that runners stay focused on the eye core of the boss even when the ground starts spinning.  It’s much faster than turning all the way around.  To duplicate this feat, the runner turns to the left after firing a salvo of crush to give enough of a window to double tap and still end up centered on the eye core.  If you had a difficult time understanding that sentence, it should give you an idea of how difficult that was to perform.  A little flaw in this strategy I hadn’t taken in to account was the tentacle claw getting in the way of the eye.  I’ll have to find a workaround.

Stage 6
The run on this stage was nothing short of amazing.  The runner manipulates the way the screen scrolls after destroying the mouth enemy to be able to run through the dangerous part of the stage and survive what would otherwise be a suicide mission.  Also to the runner’s credit, only one bomb is used during this section of the stage, which is quite impressive.  We’ve seen the heart get destroyed with a bomb and crush guns before.  The way the runner handles the crawly boss from Super C is incredible.  Laughing in the face of danger, speed and manliness combine as the runner manages to evade the weird crap that falls from the ceiling and point blank this resurrected mutant abomination right in the face. This easily cuts off ten seconds from the previous run.

The gargoyle fight went pretty well.  Watching your positioning, I wonder if you could destroy it on the retreat, just like in the TAS videos.  The teleporting stage can be done in one cycle, but it’s once in a blue moon.  You came heartbreakingly close.

The first part of the final boss went well with the alien queen.  You did a little bit of overkill on the left tentacle, but it’s okay.  For those of you who don’t know, whether or not the tentacles reach all the way to the opposite side of the screen to grab you is random.  The runner did pretty well given the situation.  The brain fight is a major improvement over the last run.  Notice how the runner handles the red brain orb, coming in point blank and mirroring its movements in a deadly crushing explosion of dance.  Yes, touching the brain itself doesn’t hurt you.  The last run didn’t take advantage of this.  The stone orb with the magic spot is ideal, but the runner adapted well to the other two.  As far as I know, four is the smallest number of cycles that a player can get through the brain in and this is a big improvement over the last run.  You’re not going to see much better than this.
The final armored carrier is dispatched without incident.  I notice that there are three bombs left when the run ends.  I’ll have to do some runs and see if I can find a use for them.

Overall, this run implements several new techniques and it sets a new standard in the quality of Contra III runs that is closing the gap between regular runs and TAS runs.  It’s so great to see all of these TAS strategies that were dismissed as impossible to do in real time actually being practiced and implemented.  This run strengthens my faith in humanity.  Congratulations, all of the time and practice has certainly paid off.  Good show.

Quote:
me: you can write up a report tomorrow
me: when you're not so tired
me: though I can guess it's something along the lines of
me: MY DICKPENIS EXPLODED
Verifier: no I'll try to write something good
me: MY DICKPENIS EXPLODED WITH THE INTENSITY OF 10 SUNS
Verifier: I can't think of anything witty right now
Verifier: so yeah
Verifier: me: MY DICKPENIS EXPLODED WITH THE INTENSITY OF 10 SUNS
Verifier: at least it's not a lie
me: hah, I knew it Tongue
Verifier: HEY
Verifier: DONT UNDERSTIDEMTN ME
Verifier: whoa
Verifier: underestimate*
Verifier: I CAN WRITE WELL WHEN I WANT TO
me: I won't understidemtn you

Quote:
I think I see a bad pixel on frame 18342. Rejected right there.

Ok, in all seriousness, what do you want me to say? It's a full minute faster on a run that's only 16 minutes long to begin with. Everything is done faster except for a couple minor hitches on some of the minibosses, some of which you arguably can't do anything about. Better bomb usage, better weapon choice, better precision and more risk taking. The fact that you killed the Terminator boss before he even started spewing flame is something I wasn't even aware you could do. I need to start using more Crush and less Homing the next time I play this, clearly.

Accepted with a gold star.

I did not make up any of the following.

Quote:
Verifier: Looked legit to me
Verifier: good run, used fastest strats pretty much, no major mistakes
Verifier: I didn't check the score to see if it matched up though
me: I have no idea how you would even check the score, it's onlydisplayed in between stages
Verifier: ya, you could add up all the kills
me: okay, you can have fun doing that, but I don't think it's necessary since there's no way to segment a contra III run
me: and it's easy to tell if a run was done on emulator because the sound is a lot tinnier on emulator (explosions sound really awful)
Verifier: maybe game genie level skip

Quote:
Contra III verification report -

I am not Frezy_Man

This run is almost like TAS.

I am also not Master-88

First off, this run kicks alien ass.  Audio/visual is good and no cheating.

Level 1 - The runner never stops moving and then destroys the boss.  The turtle took longer to walk out than to fight.

Level 2 - Wait, I blinked and missed it, the boss fight too.  The Spider took longer to fly down than to fight.

Is this really on hard?

Level 3 - Small bump up on the first rotating platform, made up for by a graceful prancing through the flying bugs.  The runner makes quick work up to the base and to the boss room.  One of the halves runs for a second or two before the big guy comes in.  Still destroyed very quickly, just a bigger health capacity.  And still one of the best death scenes on the SNES.

Level 4 - Mostly an auto-scrolling level, so just comments on the parts that matter.  The tank gets demolished.  The first mid-boss barely puts up a fight and the second shouldn't have even bothered.  The boss was done well, aggressive game-play, constantly shooting back while jumping left onto the new missles, excellent.

Level 5 - Just as fast as level 2.  A little bad luck on the boss as a worm comes in between the player and the eye, but very minimal time lost.

Level 6 - Masterfully done.  The bosses throughout were reduced to ash, plain and simple.  A couple slips on the brain by shooting the wrong "ball", but a constant barrage of missles is still kept on it.  Murdered quick.

Armor Brain - Seriously, did they even need to include that part?

Overall, the new run is faster than the old in every way.  Even each level individually is faster than the old.  I timed the run at 14:57.

So, basically, the new run doesn't even buy the old run dinner first.  Just grabs it by the hair, bends it over and does it dry.

Oh, that means I accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Because I can. Wink  It feels good to be back. Also, my favorite response is from the last verifier.
Thread title:  
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Stage 2: When I was playing, I didn't even think any of the calls were all that close. I think I've played through that stage way too much :-/

Stage 3: I usually never get a twin robot fight that unlucky. My fights are on average 2-3 seconds faster.

Stage 5 Boss: The arm blocking my shots costs maybe a second, I don't consider it time lost since it's tough just to synchronize turning at the same time the quicksand starts to turn.

Stage 6 Boss: It's a common misconception that the only good pattern is the gray stones, but the red brains are equally favorable. They don't last as long as the stones and can you get a lot of point-blank shots in if you use a bomb. Yes, the white circles were a mistake. Sad

Okay, some specific verifier comments:

Quote:
It saves a lot of time, but this risky trick means only about 30% of runs will make it out of the first stage.

Try more like 10-15% when you account for all of the other randomness in the stage.

Quote:
Out of luck or skill the hanging soldier from the monkey bars stays on the left and gets blown off by a nice salvo of crush missiles.

Luck. Overall, my luck throughout the run was quite good, of course, with the exception of the twin robots.

Quote:
The gargoyle fight went pretty well.  Watching your positioning, I wonder if you could destroy it on the retreat, just like in the TAS videos.  The teleporting stage can be done in one cycle, but it’s once in a blue moon.  You came heartbreakingly close.

Only if you attack it from the top, which I've actually started getting used to. And you're right, I came so close to saving another 2-3 seconds. Cry
Oh mike, you card.

Talk about successfully avoiding influencing the verifier.
You spoony bard!
I thought there was a runner named memememe, and then I read mike's comments at 6:15 am.  Confusion ensued.  Sad
Master-88
Quote:

I am also not Master-88

Hahhhah Grin

Congrats Mike. full minutes faster run. Shocked I can,t wait see it.  Smiley

Mike play for console like TAS runners using unhuman skills.  Grin
Mike are Contra III speedrun machine Grin

Cigar Man
What's the time of this run, and what was the time of the black-and-white run?
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

Hard difficulty run by mememememe

That's an odd choice of user name. Usually that kind is used by spammers.
Master-88
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
What's the time of this run, and what was the time of the black-and-white run?

Someone verifer said this was sligtly under 15 minutes. Wink
bläää
Great. Was this run even greater then the black and white run?

Quote:
am not Frezy_Man

I am also not Master-88

Who is this guy? Tongue  Grin
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yes, 10 seconds faster.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote from Frezy_man:
Quote:
am not Frezy_Man

I am also not Master-88

Since for some strange reason we are guessing who wrote which verification comments for different games on IRC right now, I'll say that my first thought was vgmr.
Cigar Man
Quote from Enhasa:
Quote from Frezy_man:
Quote:
am not Frezy_Man

I am also not Master-88

Since for some strange reason we are guessing who wrote which verification comments for different games on IRC right now, I'll say that my first thought was vgmr.

That wasn't me, but I wish I were awesome enough to write this: "So, basically, the new run doesn't even buy the old run dinner first.  Just grabs it by the hair, bends it over and does it dry."
You spoony bard!
Perhaps Uyama verified his OWN run. *quickly grabs chin hair and goes Pai-Mei on everyone's ass*
Mike could just as easily get away with bypassing the verification process, but where's the fun in that?

Also, vgmr - Blood is a real man's lube. Just thought I'd run that by you. <3
Cigar Man
Quote from Carcinogen:

Also, vgmr - Blood is a real man's lube. Just thought I'd run that by you. <3

That's really gross, and I had a bunch of responses run through my head, and then my own "red wings" experiences ran through my head, and then I was like, "Naaassssty."  And I don't feel like typing anything now.  So congrats on that.
And that is why I'm awesome.

not red wings btw
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
Quote from Enhasa:
Quote from Frezy_man:
Quote:
am not Frezy_Man

I am also not Master-88

That wasn't me, but I wish I were awesome enough to write this: "So, basically, the new run doesn't even buy the old run dinner first.  Just grabs it by the hair, bends it over and does it dry."

Sorry, my laptop got the virtumondo virus.  So my computer time has been limited  Angry 

But that was me.  Grin
you rock

WE SAL-UTE YOU!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Just trying to give back to the community.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
MortyreR45: 2013-05-27 10:11:27 pm
MortyreR45: 2013-05-27 09:29:37 am
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
I had watch out the new run on this game and the run is very impressive and unbelievable.
This is 'Contra' hardcore action non stop.
congratulation !

which run was harder for you 'Contra III' or 'Contra Shattered Soldier' ?

I think you have the best feelings for a run on 'Neo Contra'.  Wink
Contra: Legacy of War

olololol
destroy them with lazers
Grin RUN WAS AWESOME Grin
Master-88
Im not going to lie, let me say but this run looks TAS.  Shocked

Yeah it was really crazy run and im not pick up any mistakes. This run is close enought perfect human limit. I can say some old TAS runs are slower than this. This run was awesome, nothing else can,t say with this. Wink

Definitely one top 10 best speedruns all around. Cheesy
Quote:
Oh my contra

LOL
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from I.S.T.:
Quote:
Oh my contra

LOL

OHHHHH MY CONTRAAAA