--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Heads up Mike, pun intended.  Bonk results.

First off, son of a bitch that was difficult.  Just finding the video in those links was an adventure.
Anyway....

Audio/visual = Fine
Cheating = Definitely not

Level 1 and some general notes about the run as a whole - The runner uses an interesting boost off of the plants.  While nice at first glance, it is quickly apparent that there is a learning curve and the runner may need more practice with it.  I also noticed the runner not jumping from the highest platform available to skip more of the different levels' terrains. By that I mean that the runner will turbo spin through the air until landing on the ground.  Instead, it's more beneficial to jump again as you pass other ledges to spend more time in the air.  There is a lot of time on the ground and the runner pays for it throughout the run.  However, the level Boss, Huey, is pwned like a special ed kid.

Level 2 - Gets stuck in the cave a little bit.  Gets beat up in the swamp, resulting in a lot of food eating to recover.  If this must be done, it would have been quicker to collect the food in the treetops than the plants on the ground.  The tree climb was good.  Cloud area was bad.  Runner double jumps back to the meat in the beginning.  And then waits for the purple bird who gives meat to recharge the invincibility, but he was just beginning the invincibility from the big meat he went back for at the start of the cloud area.  And the big meat between the two clouds was not really worthwhile, the exit is right there.  Gladdis boss fight was decent.

Level 3 - Botched flower boost from a bug hitting him.  The ice area, gets eaten by a dog, immediately after getting meat and going through the animation, then waits for purple bird meat anyway. He did kick the Gorilla's ass.

Level 4 - Decent, even though the runner still gets a little beat up, I'm questioning the blue hearts from level three and four.  Time is wasted to collect them, but he only obtains full health a few times.  I guess it's kind of a wash from not dying at future points.  Runner does not vote for Pedro as he tears him up. Is this where Sentinel got the rocket punch?

Level 5 - There is no flower boost at the water's edge in 5-2.  And missing the opening at the end of 5-2 is atrocious, he even had to backtrack a bit from missing it and falling into the water.  The next water area skip was really nice.  In the next area he gets burned....a lot.  He should be bouncing off the dino bubbles. 5-4 climb results in a death.  Whole thing is kind of bad.  Takes a few seconds to dodge the alligator at the base of the waterfall and still gets eaten.  Rest of the climb is okay.  The big meat is a waste before boss re-fights, I can see getting the big heart for health.  The boss re-fights are okay, but I was screaming "abuse invincibility" at my laptop during the Kongo Zilla brawl.  Even if it results in death, get hit then get "in" him and hit his head from below with little jumps, easy three-four hits.  Collecting the big heart before T Ractorhead was useless, already had full power.  T Ractorhead fight was hot though.

King Drool - starts slow, gets better, goes bad, dies, needs to use the tridents better, but gets a  good combo and wins.  Although, I don't think a death on Drool is a big deal.  Anybody who plays this game should know what a bastard he can be.

The good - Boss fights are clearly the highlight of the run.

The bad - Not enough flying through levels.  Lots of damage taken.  A lot of head landing from air spinning, I know how hard it is to land using turbo, I know, but it's still a manual maneuver and the head landings were the cause of a lot of damage and time wasted, practice.  Plant boosts should only be in more open areas, or with better planning, the same enemies are in each part.  There was also several times the runner gets knocked out of the boost, which wastes time, including the set-up.

The ugly - Unfortunately, I have to reject.

I was very excited about the prospect of a Bonk run.  The runner clearly knows the game, but tighter execution is needed.  I hope they don't give up and give it another try.  I timed the run in the mid-high 34 minute range.

Quote:
Sound/AVI- good
Cheating- No

Wow I can't believe you have a working turbografix-16! Anyway, down to business. This is a decent run of a game that I haven't played since i was a kid with my own turbografix-16.  I remember the control being a little sketchy and like you said the hit-detection is suboptimal so this would allow me to excuse some level of mistakes in a run of this game. You did a good job with your self-criticism but there's a few more I'd like to point out.

2-4  It seems to me that you could have done at least 2 more flower boosts in this level saving a few seconds for each.

2-7  Not sure why you get the 1up next to the meat but it only loses a second or so. Getting the final big meat in the clouds shouldn't be necessary if you don't get hit by the bird b4 it. I won't really complain about the blue heart pick-up but these seem unnecessary in the long run if the game is mastered.

3-5  You pickup a small meat at the very beginning and then right after the screen scrolls there's an enemy with a big meat. Getting the small meat seems highly redundant here and costs some time.

5-2  You already commented on this one. Very sloppy ending.

5-3  Death only takes a few seconds like you said but its unfortunate it happened anyway.

5-4  Seems like there was a small bit of trouble with the muscleman guy but otherwise nice boss fights.

Since there isn't a run of this game on sda I am inclined to accept this just to set the bar for improvement, but I think that this game could be done much faster (minutes), and would like to see an improvement if you're up to it.

Decision- Accept
Reason- There's nothing to compare it to except my own memories and the TAS, both of which seem unfair to judge a RT speedrun with.

Decision: Reject

Reason: There's a lot of room for improvement. Even the verifier who accepted the run admits there is room for improvement.

As always, this run is available to download for a month. Just PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Mickey_Mage: 2010-04-15 11:12:39 pm
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Oh yea, this is the Turbografx version :p. At first I was like, "I haven't submitted a new Bonk run recently", haha. Anyway, pity it was rejected. Hopefully the runner can make an improvement at some point.