List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

PAL version run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio and video are good. I didn't see any cheating either. As for the run I would say it was near perfection at some points and almost disaster on others. The death on the second level looked really awkward however the rest of the run makes up for it. I would say it goes flawless up until the final boss where he seems to be out of rhythm or something, he incurs his second death. Again it looks awkward. The end part he said you wont count so it doesn't matter how it looks.

Accept, despite the flaws this game is damn hard and the run looks really good.

Quote:
Audio/video/cheating etc
========================
The audio is desynched at the beginning, like the runner mentioned. Other than that, all good.

Gameplay
========
Level 1 - All the enemies appear at the same place every time, they can pretty much all be taken out in one hit or one combo, so this level should be pretty damn perfect. The runner gets tossed around once or twice, but it's in the right places so the time loss is acceptable. I wonder why he doesn't manipulate the enemies waiting for him at the end of the bridges to run into the pit though ? The tas does that, it looks a bit faster and is easy to do.

Level 2 - A death ? I have to say that it's a REALLY ugly one too and costs a ton of time. I must also question the runner's comment regarding that area. He says that it's not possible to kill those bots consistently in the pal-version. However, if he can manage good fights against the two last sets of bots, I don't think it's too much to ask to at least not die against the first one...

Level 3 - Autoscroller that is ended by picking up 8 black pins. The 8 first ones are picked up, so all good.

Level 4 - Autoscroller.

Level 5 - Pretty much an autoscroller. Reached the checkpoints as early as can be expected in a speedrun and used the 'early exit'/'warp'/'glitch' or whatever to call it.

Level 6 - Autoscroller.

Level 7 - Like level 3. Could have ended it a tiny bit earlier, but hardly any time lost.

Level 8 - Very nice movements down to all the rat races. First rat race looks good. Second one starts with a mistake and some minor hick-ups are added after that. Third one like the second, but without the big mistake at the beginning. I'd say a passable level, but I'm still amazed that even speedrunners seem to have a hard time memorizing these rat races (I'm speaking both about this game and the nes-version).

Level 9 - If I counted correctly, 5 missed hits, which account for a decent bunch of time lost. Plus another death. It didn't cost any time, but still...

Level 10 (credits) - So taking out Silas Volkmire doesn't count, huh ? I must say that I'm strongly against this ruling, but whatever... Not a great fight and the runner explains why in the comments.

Recommendation
==============
As much as I would like to see a Battletoads in Battlemaniacs run on sda, I still recommend a rejection of this run. The few levels that don't run on a fixed timer contain several small hick-ups and a couple of major time losses (including one ugly death). The runner blaims the pal-version of the game for some of the mistakes. However, I wonder if enough practice of adapting to the different timing really went into this project before the run got recorded ?

Quote:
Hi Sexy, PsychoBattlemaniacs here:

Audio is out of wack in the beginning, but the music still rocks out with it's cock out.

Visual is acceptable.

No cheating evident, Sir!

Begin - Props for using Pimple over Rash

Mount-N's - Excellent, knock down yielded no time lost.

Tree Down - This level is nasty as kicking a puppy in the face.  The runner has a laundry list as to why, but a lot seems correctable.  The dragon heads can be punched from behind for more control.  The pair of gyromites are easily killed if you stay in between them and let them shoot each other twice.  But the first one simply handed the runner their ass.  There is no way that was unavoidable.  Positioning better punches alone would have fixed that.  Kicking out the hover board is crap all the time anyway, don't do it.  Don't know if I can get over all that...

Bonus Stage 1 - Yup

Speed Bikes from Hell - MmHmm

Snake Pit of Madness - Not much you can do to be faster.  But the glitch exit is mandatory.

Race of Death - Not much to make this faster either.

Bonus Stage 2 - Fo Sho.

Rat Race - Couple of fumbles, but still acceptable.

Dark Queen - Is still hot.  Anyway, she puts Pimple in the dirt before feeling her own defeat.  The second death doesn't look good.  Kind of hurts actually.

In summary, I was initially on the fence.  However, looking level by level, the decision became clear.  Level 1 and 2 you need to put in work.  The next three levels and bonus stages you just need to get through, there really isn't anything you can do to be substantially faster than somebody else who knows how to play the game.  The rat race is easy once memorized, no randomness.  That just leaves the Dark Queen, one of only two bosses in this game.  I can tolerate one death on the Hot Queen as she can be a real Be-Yotch.  But that combined with the whole level 2 debacle is too much.  I know the runner explains, but I feel all that can be overcome, as evidenced by how they ran the rest of the level.  The runner shows a lot of skill, so I feel with some more attempts, they could get a better run with no level 2 fiasco.  The Queen death would hopefully not happen again either.

I hate to do it but,
REJECT.

Quote:
Run of SNES Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (PAL)

Cheating - None

Video / Audio - Audio desync as mentioned by the runner in the beginning, it ultimately resolves itself quickly. Video quality isn't amazing, but final encode will probably clean it up a bit.

Run notes:

Level 1 - A few slips (2) but good recoveries. Good execution of the level, and the boss is well done outside of a whiff or two.

Level 2 - That rough patch with the bot is really hard to watch, especially considering how easily the next one goes down. Rest of the level is executed well, but that's a pretty nasty blemish. I'm surprised you didn't reset.

Level 3 - a nice example of having some fun without losing time.

Level 4 - done as well as can be done.

Level 5 - great execution, catches the warp to shave a good 5+ seconds off the end.

Level 6 - Fine, with a few turns looking less than optimal. The response for this is a little stiffer than its NES counterpart. Losses probably amount to no more than 1-2 seconds.

Level 7 - Nicely done. Missing the last domino was not a big deal.

Level 8 - Outside of one turn too early, a very fine run of this level. Floaty jump/fall mechanics make this tricky.

Queen - Really not a great fight.

Timing: Assuming the missile sequence at the end is not factored, First character control at 0:30, last punch on queen at 22:35, leaving a run time of 22:05. Factoring in the missile sequence it is exactly two more minutes(which, as mentioned in the comments is not so hot because the runner can't see the crosshairs, but for the purposes of finish time it shouldn't matter. Unfortunately it does look bad, particularly for something so easy.

Deliberation - OK, so this appears to be the first entry for BiB, and it's a very fine one outside of two major nasty sections. The bit with the bot in level 2 is bad luck, and the final battle is victim to combat mechanics being a little less precise than the original Battletoads. I'm fully aware of how the control makes the game a little more frustrating, but the runner here knows everything backwards and is able to execute almost everything very well. Ironically this is why I'm on the fence. There is actually so little combat in this game that I think it would be worth the runner to go for a better time. S/he manages to virtually optimize all of the levels "on rails" such as the speeder bike, karnath pit and the tractor race with fuzz. Rat race is also extremely good. So why not go for the golden goose and attempt to recreate those great level times (you obviously know these levels like the back of your hand) and also manage a better level 2 and dark queen fight? I know this game is tough, and you own 98% of it. I think you may have settled a bit.

Verdict - This was a tough call, but I vote for Accept, but with the reservation that I sure hope we see this runner improve his/her time. With a similar run minus the bad luck, I bet 30 seconds could be shaved off, which at a 22 minute total is worthy of consideration.

I talked with the runner about the run after all of the comments came in, and he agreed with rejecting the run and improving it later.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Too many time-consuming deaths.
Thread title:  
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from mikwuyma:
I talked with the runner about the run after all of the comments came in, and he agreed with rejecting the run and improving it later.

This right here makes me happy. Who ever the runner is, I applaud you have have much respect for you. I could just look at the forum page to find out who you are. But I would rather not know and just tell you this. I will prolly look after posting though... if I don't feel like being lazy.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from Heidman:
[This right here makes me happy. Who ever the runner is, I applaud you have have much respect for you. I could just look at the forum page to find out who you are. But I would rather not know and just tell you this. I will prolly look after posting though... if I don't feel like being lazy.

lol if you cant figure out who the runner is, you havent been paying attention to stream nation or irc lately
Willing to teach you the impossible
npoe, i have not been at all as of late
Edit history:
PJ: 2010-11-18 11:53:16 pm
Is PJ
Yea I don't care for anonymity, so the runner was me.  I have a lot to say about this, but I have to run at the moment.  I reserve this post for my responses.

Edit:

Well, I was going to write a huge write-up explaining everything, but I decided not to because it doesn't matter.  I submitted a pair of runs for this game, NTSC and PAL.  My NTSC run was old and not high enough quality to make it to SDA so it was rejected.  I feel like that was a missing piece of the puzzle for some verifiers, so I'll post a link here:

Now, I'm sure the verifiers watched these runs for some sort of comparison, since this is the fastest run on youtube and whatnot.  This is my NTSC speed run of poor video quality.  This run beats the console run of the person who made the TAS by 30+ seconds.  Therefore, for TAS tricks that I didn't use in my run, still note that of the 3 non-autoscrollers in the game, I cut 40 seconds from the TAS runner because of more reliable strategies.  The only "mistakes" I had in this run were in the final level and a few second mistakes in level 1 and 2 which were remedied in my submitted PAL run.  My Rat Race PAL run was basically flawless except for the one missed turn.  I mentioned all this in my comments.  Anyways, the verifiers wouldn't have known that I was the same person as the youtube video, but I used improved strategies for level 1 in my PAL run, and tried the same strats in level 2.

Level 2 in the PAL run was the reason it was rejected.  In the NTSC version, the best way to kill each electrobot is with 4 punches, switching sides (see my linked NTSC run).  However, in the PAL version this usually doesn't work for some reason.  Could be scrolling rate, could be resolution difference, I'm not sure.  But that fourth hit just does not register sometimes.  There is no way around that.  My death was avoidable yes, but it only cost a few seconds at most because, as you saw, the electrobot could not be hit at the very bottom of the screen.  I never use the hoverpads because they suck for attacking, but I had to try anyways since I couldn't punch him.  Even with the death and "mistakes" in level 1, the first two levels were still 4-5 seconds faster than my next best run of those two levels.

Again, addressing my tactics in level 1, this is about as fast as possible.  The pigs will not run off the edge on console.  They won't do anything stupid.  This AI is really annoying and the collision detection is shoddy enough that this run is around 1/20 chance of occurring.  Even in the canyon battle, sometimes when the pigs jump down to attack, they linger in the air for 5-6 seconds instead of just falling as fast as he did here.  Completely random event.  The boss battle too is basically random whether or not it will accept your first hit.  Sometimes he will just change planes, sometimes you will get hit, sometimes he'll get hit into the background and not come back.  It's a really poorly programmed battle.  My level 1 tactic is about as good as possibly could be asked for, for a console run.  As I said in my comments, I neglected to kill the boss offscreen and lost some time from lag management, but that wasn't a complaint anyways so it doesn't matter.

Rat Race.  One of the verifiers mentioned lack of memorization, which is an absolute joke.  The only "mistakes" in the level are when I turn too soon during a long stretch, or when the very edge of the platform didn't let me through.  Saying lack of memorization is an insult to me and it's just ignorant in my mind, since any person who has run the game knows how shitty the collision detection in this game is.  Granted, nobody said it was a big deal, but that needs to be said anyways.  It just bothers me that I likely lost more time from not hitting 8 pins in the second bonus round than I did through all of Rat Race, yet the former was not a big deal for anybody.

Dark Queen battle is bad.  Yup.  I mentioned that.  Did I also mention how it is random what kind of jump attack you get, or what kind of collision detection you get for the crouching attacks?  I've been fighting this battle for years, and I've never once had an ideal battle.  Considering she takes the same teleportation pattern every time, that is saying something.  Late into the battle, some jump attacks don't hit, some hit with the normal animation and Pimple just floats there for 2-3 seconds, taking damage and preventing a double hit on Dark Queen, and sometimes she fires early.  This battle is absurdly bad.  I got hit crouching the safe spot, too, which nobody seems to have noticed.  In my mind, that's acceptable.  I mean, the battle looks like shit but it's like 2-3 seconds slower than my best battle just because of really unlucky events.

Anyways, as I told Mike, I agree with the rejection.  If I gave it a hundred more attempts, I could likely have had a better level 1 & 2, and then I'd just have to fight through the shit collision detection in Snake Pit to get a great run.  I am definitely fine with that.  The run looked ugly, even though the time was very good.  However, some of these comments just did not sit well with me and I had to address them.  The PAL version is significantly different than the NTSC version, too.

After I look into level 2 some more I might try this again, but I really, really hate this game.  It isn't fun at all and is just way too slow to be enjoyable.  SDA needs a run of it though so I might revisit it in the future.
Edit history:
andrewg: 2010-11-19 12:39:55 am
andrewg: 2010-11-19 12:36:57 am
Hi! I'm andrewg!
<PJ> the run looks really sloppy
<PJ> but its fast as shit

ugliness isn't a factor in speedrunning...

I like how PJ is such a perfectionist. haha