eLmaGus-: 2015-02-17 07:44:35 am
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-13 04:39:18 pm
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-13 04:35:27 pm
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-13 04:30:39 pm
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-04 10:47:16 am
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-03 07:17:34 am
eLmaGus-: 2015-02-03 06:17:50 am
I must simply laugh.
Since the relay is coming around in about a month, it is worth noting that possible Bonus Game submissions have been rather scarce. The following possibilities have been submitted:

FF Mystic Quest:
FFGamer86, eLmaGus, Jenja, VultuZ (FeralPigMan, BichPhuongBallZ)
Lufia 2:
FeralPigMan,  eLmaGus, HappySquid89, VultuZ ; Commentary: Dragondarch
Dragon Warrior (some sort of 1-4 combination thing):
Everhate
Soul Blazer:
Jenja
Earthbound:
Falexxx1, lltemple, Aurilliux, AndyPerfect, RedBalloonman
(Secret of Mana:
StingerPA, Yagamoth, The_Roth,?????)

It would be really nice to have more options here (the goal would be 4 games with either 3/4 runners). Ideally the Bonus Game would take place on March 8th, one day after the actual relay, but if a runner for the voted Bonus Game is not available it might be postponed to a later date.

Anyways what I am trying to say here is: If you run an SNES RPG and think it would be a good bonus game choice, feel free to suggest it, even if you are alone at first ;).

PS:
Chrono Trigger is not an option since it was the bonus game last time.

Bonus Game List should be finalized about a week or two before the actual relay, so get on the submissions. (I will update the list uptop to save space in the thread)
Pudding%
I guess I should note that I haven't had any time to work on Lufia 2 (surprised? show of hands?). Too many other projects + work. I'd be more than happy to commentate though.
Edit history:
the_roth: 2015-02-03 01:47:55 am
DO THE MEATEO
I'll submit Secret of Mana 1p2c% as a bonus game then. My PB (3:27:29) does suck though and I only have one completed run. Since I'll be focusing on FFIV for the time being I could probably get SoM to below 2:30 by the race date if it was the bonus game, but I don't have a Game Saver yet (nor a 2nd usb controller) to grind practice and be competitive.
Had a weird idea for bonus, so figured I'd post something here for maximum ridicule. Rather than doing a race, we could conceivably do a concurrent dragon warrior 1-4 nes 'run' (start at same time, finish at vastly different times).

This, of course, assumes there is runner availability, as a couple of the games only have ~2 runners, and that this much simultaneous and varied grinding would not destroy all the things.

Anyway, it's something that almost resembles a thought since we're light on bonus offerings. I blame everhate in any event.
So, I haven't been able to put in the time that I had hoped into learning FF6 (moving was way more involved than anticipated), and because of this I will be stepping out of the relay. Sad
Professional Second Banana
Sorry to hear that Neerrm; but real life should definitely come first - down for commentating FF6 instead?

Was planning to rebalance the teams in early February anyway, so I'll swap eLmaGus back in when I do that.
I can put some time into learning MQ, but I obviously wouldn't be able to get up to the level of FFGamer and elmagus.
bichGOAL
to make 4, i will also offer to learn MQ. but like with feral, it wouldn't exactly be competitive against elmagus and ffgamer
to make 5, i will also offer to run MQ. but like with feral and bich, it wouldn't (probably) exactly be competitive against elmagus and ffgamer

PS: would do soul blazer as well, if there is interest for that
Due to practice time constraints Essentia is going to switch to FF6 commentary.  Anyone interested in taking her place for running FF6 (or know of someone who would be), or should we scale back to 3 teams?
If all else fails. I was eventually planning on learning ff6. I might see what i can do in the next week to see if its feasible. God knows if i can pull it off there are enough ff4 runners we can get one to step up and be a boss.
I must simply laugh.
i heard my good friend BichPhuongBallZ already knows how to run Sketch% and it would only be a formality to learn NoSketch
bichGOAL
I'm hesitant/fearful, much like the others, because I'd want to put on a decent performance and I'm super uncertain. However, my desire to see everyone participate trumps that feeling and I have decided to put in time to learn the no sketch route as I am in the best position to do so. I will update as best as I can about progress. In terms of balancing teams, I would work under the assumption that I will have the worst pb time. All I can promise is that I will do my best.
I must simply laugh.
Quote from bichphuongballz:
I'm hesitant/fearful, much like the others, because I'd want to put on a decent performance and I'm super uncertain. However, my desire to see everyone participate trumps that feeling and I have decided to put in time to learn the no sketch route as I am in the best position to do so. I will update as best as I can about progress. In terms of balancing teams, I would work under the assumption that I will have the worst pb time. All I can promise is that I will do my best.

Feel free to hit me up, I will help you. We can Skype or something. Im sure LCC will help you out aswell, we will get you competetive within 3 days
Awesome, thanks Bich!  Also, that sounds eerily similar to a cErtAin- other speedrunner that was nervous about a previous race and then ended up PBing by 15 minutes...

Here's what I'm thinking for updated teams - what do other people think?

Team 1: Khobahi, DragonLX, Fathlo23
Team 2: nocashnocash, Deln, LCC
Team 3: catastrophic4, Jenja, eLmaGus
Team 4: the_roth, HappySquid, bichphuongballz

FF4 Commentary: crumps2, obdajr, FeralPigMan, Fyreball13
FF5 Commentary: Dragondarch, Cereth, Incalex
FF6 Commentary: Essentia, Brossentia, puwexil

Also, here are my ideas for incentives - let me know if you have any of your own:

FF4: Tellah hits on Edward, Take Out The Trash (kill MilonZ with the TrashCan glitch), most EGGs encountered
FF5: Avoid Ramuh using step counter manipulation, MLG airship landing on Crescent Island, avoid Big Bridge battles without stopping
FF6: Fewest Balloon battles in the burning house, The Spooniest Bard III (instead of anything involving the Opera this time, maybe try a funny story telling contest during the Thamasa cutscenes, which would be easier to do if the runners are close together, while still being in the same spirit of how FF6 runners like to have fun during the longer cutscenes), Fishing RTA
Minor correction, TrashCan would be used to kill Milon, not MilonZ. MilonZ requires the Carrot (and a subsequent longer ATB setup). Maybe bonus points for doing both?

If we wanted something more skill based instead of RNG based for FF4 (outside of trash can), instead of Tellah hits, we could do grind fight RTA. It's the longest fight of the run, and being able to pull off two lifes per dragon consistently is what separates the good runners from the great ones Wink

Could also do largest Big Bang damage to Edge in Zeromus fight. If someone gets blasted for 2400+, they might as well be rewarded for it.
I must simply laugh.
Quote from Neerrm:
Minor correction, TrashCan would be used to kill Milon, not MilonZ. MilonZ requires the Carrot (and a subsequent longer ATB setup). Maybe bonus points for doing both?

If we wanted something more skill based instead of RNG based for FF4 (outside of trash can), instead of Tellah hits, we could do grind fight RTA. It's the longest fight of the run, and being able to pull off two lifes per dragon consistently is what separates the good runners from the great ones Wink

Could also do largest Big Bang damage to Edge in Zeromus fight. If someone gets blasted for 2400+, they might as well be rewarded for it.

I agree with Neerrm, additionally Trash Can is not solely skill based, it is actually highly RNG dependant. I have seen Charm miss for Roth 6 times in a row, and if things go wrong it puts behind the respective team by a minute or two since it will not only slow down the Milon fight but more than likely also the MilonZ fight.

Grind Fight RTA seems like the most skillbased thing you could possibly do.
Pudding%
For FF4, how about fighting Calcobrena? I'm sure Rane would love to see if there's any other "Men" out there that aren't afraid of a doll... Wink
Edit history:
Neerrm: 2015-02-06 01:39:54 pm
Quote from eLmaGus-:
I agree with Neerrm, additionally Trash Can is not solely skill based, it is actually highly RNG dependent. I have seen Charm miss for Roth 6 times in a row, and if things go wrong it puts behind the respective team by a minute or two since it will not only slow down the Milon fight but more than likely also the MilonZ fight.

This is very true, there are a lot of minor things that can go wrong that disrupt the glitch. The most common RNG one is charm missing, others include Cecil (and consequently Palom) missing Porom to break charm, Porom trolling and casting Hold or Slow on an ally which ruins the specific ATB, Milon just not playing nice by Lit1 spamming Palom...It's a pretty tough strat to pull off, even outside of the execution needed to do it. The backup strat would be to Twin as normal with change rod Palom in mid slot, but like Magus said that's about a minute worth of time loss. Still, it's undoubtedly something that I feel should be at least attempted to be shown off in the FF Relay.
I must simply laugh.
Quote from Dragondarch:
For FF4, how about fighting Calcobrena? I'm sure Rane would love to see if there's any other "Men" out there that aren't afraid of a doll... Wink

Was always a big fan of this, for reference: if you go into the fight willing to transform, you only lose 40 seconds to an ideal dolls fight.
I'll leave it up to the runners to decide (both on Calcabrina and the TrashCan).
As the only person brave enough to face the mighty doll last time, I second that incentive.
I'm all about bichDoll hype. I did some practicing on this today and you can really do this fight quickly and relatively safely. Obviously it's not as fast as fighting the dolls normally, but it depends on how good the incentive is.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I would love to submit Secret of Mana as a bonus game, but unfortunately I'll be at work during the relay now. I know StingerPA and Yaga would most likely do it if available and rumor has it LeonPow is learning it as well.......
Honestly, my only worry with Secret of Mana as a bonus game is that it's me and Yaga, and then everyone else is 20 minutes behind or more.  I'm not sure that makes for a great race.  I'm sure we'd both participate if it were in, though.