List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
reinstalling fixed the issue

got 54:10 today http://www.twitch.tv/lurkchan/c/4422663
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2014-06-08 10:58:41 am
The Dork Knight himself.
I need to pick this game up again. Wonder how many glitches running on a ramdrive will introduce Smiley

I see you're getting better at bunnyhopping. Just a note though: try to separate your turning and jumping, don't link them and you'll get more speed. From what you're doing now, you'll turn and at a certain point you'll stop until you jump, then continue turning the other way. If you can keep up the left/right turning to build up speed and not time it with the jumps you'll gain more speed since you won't be stopping. It's probably the hardest thing to get used to with bunnyhopping but once you do your speed will go through the roof.
i'm going to be remaking the tutorial soon. i want to make more individual videos showing strats rather than a large walkthrough, something more like the dkc2 wiki.

if you do pick vtmb back up jay i'd love to get your help on it.
The Dork Knight himself.
Well you could always just ask me for help with a section an I can do it, not like I have to pick the game up full time to help with a tutorial Smiley
found an interesting way to climb up walls once you somehow get stuck in them. i was trying (again, without success, go figure) to find a cemetery skip and ended up finding this instead. i guess in other games when you get stuck in a wall and you quicksave/load you get moved forward. apparently in vtmb you get moved upward (which sucks for cemetery since we want to move downward)

i've tried getting stuck in several places: ocean hotel, gate before ocean hotel, lacroix's building. so far it doesn't seem useful anywhere

here's the clip of it working http://www.twitch.tv/lurkchan/c/4438946
The Dork Knight himself.
Well the easiest application of this would be to get stuck in a door, but I can't think of any doors where this could be used. For the graveyard we don't necessarily have to go down, just get to a position where we can open the tunnel doorway from the wrong side. Btw, how did you get wedged in that wall?
Edit history:
lurk: 2014-06-11 02:20:03 pm
I got wedged into that wall by going oob. You can grab a barrel from the entrance of the cemetery and use that to get up on the top right end of the fence. From there you can get underneath the level but not enough to clip into Garys or to open the door from the other side. You can crawl under that ledge and jump up into it to get stuck.

I tried getting to the 2nd tape early by getting stuck on stacked up office chairs and the office door,  but nothing yet.
The Dork Knight himself.
Why get stuck on stacked up office chairs when you can simply get stuck in a door? Smiley
I tried the door but it wouldn't boost me up. Have to try it out some more.
The Dork Knight himself.
Well I just tested it in the netcafe, and I can't get stuck in the doors no matter how hard I try. I also used noclip to get into the walls and apparently all of the walls in that area push you down when noclip is turned off. I'm not sure if that's a glitch with noclip, but it could be that certain walls just don't push you in the right direction. In fact the only thing that worked slightly was getting wedged into the cubicle divider poles. Using noclip to get into them, I could get a boost, but it wouldn't push me all the way through the ceiling, only to the very top of the pole itself. From there I was perma-wedged between the floors.
it's pretty difficult to get stuck somewhere useful to try and pull this off.

if we could clip into the nosferatu section of lacroix's building we could skip talking to chunk forever, but there is nowhere useful to get stuck near that door/elevator button. i also checked grouts mansion, which has a peculiar level design, heading to lacroix without the elevator, and ocean hotel. in each level, the objective is suspended between a space of nothingness that just makes you fall infinitely, so even if you managed to get stuck somewhere and start glitching up you still wouldn't be able to reach it. same applies for the oob sections of the cemetery - and although i haven't tested it, so mostly likely - and during the chinatown skip oob. 

what could be interesting is if some wall in the warehouse allowed us to glitch to the bomb setup without dealing with the guards, but it would have to be a sick setup to beat just resetting for good guard luck.
so i figured out how to consistently not get the softlock with chunk after the museum. if you take the 2nd dialogue option returning from grout's mansion, he will talk about space burgers as you go up the elevator, and this seems to prevent the game from skipping over his next dialogue options. if you take the 1st option he just doesn't say anything, which i believe is locking the game for whatever reason
:-)
thank you i will resume running this game now that chunk is dunked
Edit history:
Ames: 2014-07-27 10:29:05 am
Hey I've starting learning vtmb, not sure how to best learn this, I'm just focusing on getting santa monica down. The only thing I can't get consistently is the jump over the fence at the beachhouse at the start. Also the ladders in the sewer to the hotel are breaking for me. Like I can't go up them for whatever reason.

Is twitch the best way to record btw? I don't normally stream, so I'm not sure how to set it up. What splitter do you guys use for vtmb, livesplit isn't overlaying properly.
(sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, this is my first time attempting to speedrun a game properly)
i made this tutorial, it should help you with some of the route. it's a bit outdated but its about 90% right:

elementalguard made this pastebin, it lists out most of the dialogue options correctly: http://pastebin.com/Bb4aMSMG

if anything is breaking that would indicate that you may not have the edited dlls to properly run the game for v1.2. download it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jhu9ppy1tfcafq7/vtmbdlls.zip

replace these after patching to 1.2 - do not use the community dll unless the other file does not work. that is from wesps community patches.  the other dll is the authentic official release minus the glitch that makes the game think you only have 15mb of ram or something dumb. it might fix the ladder problem you're experiencing? i've never heard of someone not being able to go up ladders, but vtmb is the sort of game that has difficulties depending on what machine it's on

you can just locally record with OBS unless you want viewers, and then you have either twitch or hitbox basically.

you may have to alt tab in order for global hotkeys to work. i had to when i was running it on win8, but i don't have to now that i'm on win7
Edit history:
Ames: 2014-07-27 08:46:31 pm
I've been using those dlls but I also have the widescreen patch, is that what might be breaking it?

edit: seems to have fixed itself, but I still cant get livesplit to overlay, but global hotkeys work fine.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2014-07-28 05:46:55 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Ames: If you're using OBS, try doing a Window Capture for Livesplit, and make sure it's at the top of the order on your source list. I make that mistake all the time, I'll add in a few sources and find the order is all out of whack, putting 1 window behind others. If it still doesn't show up, then it's probably an issue with the way Livesplit renders itself and the only way to get around that is a cropped Monitor Capture.

As for recording, you can use OBS, but you can only get the game footage if you wish to submit to SDA. Anything else and you can record what you want. It's best for a local record to crank the encoding bitrate through the roof since technically speaking what you get would be considered source material. 10000 is a good starting point, but I prefer using 30000 (it's also the same thing that nVidia's Shadowplay uses).
I might just figure out my twitch account and stream using that, since I've steamed things before. I'm not really too concerned with submitting to SDA. =D I doubt I'll be up at the speed lurk and the others are at ^_^
Edit history:
Ames: 2014-08-02 04:24:52 pm
Ames: 2014-08-02 04:23:45 pm
So if you jump on the box in the warehouse the other direction and land just right on the wall you can go out of bounds in the warehouse map. Kinda neat, but totally useless I think xD

yea warehouse has a lot of oob areas. you can get on top of the warehouse and below it, but none of it matters since you have to get to the beckett cutscene to move on
What actually triggers the beckett cutscene, is it planting the explosives?
yea, planting the bomb starts the timer for you to get to the beckett cutscene
The Dork Knight himself.
Even though this will probably turn into nothing, I'll document it anyway.

One of the things with the Warehouse level that has annoyed me for a while is the escape after the bomb is planted: the path isn't direct enough. If you follow the route outside of the map in noclip, you'll notice that after we drop out of the upper vent (before planting the bomb), that room has an exit gate that leads directly to the end of the level. Therefore the quickest way out would be to enter the room, plant the bomb, then backtrack out to that gate to exit.

I decided to test and see how to do so, but so far all I've come up with that would work is Obfuscate at max level. The problem is that as soon as you exit the upper vent, one of the goons in the office where the bomb is planted will see you and alert all the guards in the lower room, which then leads to the exit gate closing (funny how you're blocked but they can run through it and all entities like boxes also go right through). I found that if I exit the upper vent, and instead of dropping I run and jump over the ventilation ducts (thereby going past the window where the office guard sees you) the gate does not shut immediately, however once the office guards see you the gate closes. Going through that area with notarget on confirms this because the guards don't actually see you and the gate does not close.

Bottom line: if we can figure out how to get into the office quickly without alerting any of the guards in the office then we can exit the level almost 30 seconds quicker.

Before you suggest it, yes I tried getting over to the locked door which leads directly into that office, and there are inviso walls that block you from just jumping around the corner. It's possible there is a way to do so, but I'm pretty sure every guard in the building would get alerted and drop the gate.
i'm going just by feeling here, but i don't think it would save any time.

i'm guessing this route would depend a lot of whether or not we have enough sneak to not alert the guards. any other route that doesn't go directly to the bomb is going to lose time. if you have to sneak around or take an alternate route to the bomb, then i feel like it would be slower than the current route. having that gate open would mean jumping downward after planting the bomb, then going to the right (past the train) and then onto beckett. that would skip the second guard room RNG, the descent down the stairs, and the damage boost over the fence.

all but the latter would be awesome to skip, but the momentum you get from a solid damage boost that can help you bhop on top of the railcars is going to be faster than going through the gate. it would eventually be a more direct route since you can get straight to beckett without going between the railcars. the only part that sucks is its hard to get the right boost for it, i've yet to hit it properly in a PB.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2014-08-06 10:53:16 pm
honorableJay: 2014-08-06 10:52:40 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
That's basically what I was thinking, BUT I wanted to get the idea out in the open just in case it could actually lead to something.

***Edit***
Since I didn't get to see every part of your stream last weekend, I started going through the areas I missed. The route in the temple2 area (before the final physics puzzle) where you skip the guards is definitely gonna be a lot faster to just bhop through rather than using Trance on the 2 guards that pop out. Aside from the time savings from not having to wait (figuring out the bhop pattern shouldn't be too hard), the other benefit is having 2 more blood points to use for spells. That can possible lead to less guard draining in the next map. Funny how I've played this game to death and I still never knew there was a way to get through that area without spawning the guards.