Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

The California Raisins: The Grape Escape (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'darbian'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

The California Raisins: The Grape Escape (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/californiaraisins/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Nov. 2, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
Sonikkustar: 2014-10-20 09:37:28 am
The Great Farming Empire
A/V Quality - Good
No cheating here.

I don't know how SDA handles unreleased games, but the run looked really good. I didn't see anything that looked like a jarring mistake. Maybe the mashing could be faster in bossfights? I dunno.

Accept
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
A/V quality is just fine and I see no signs of cheating.  No real time losses beyond maybe a second or two at some spots.

Accept
A/V good, no cheating detected

This seems to be a very solid run.  It's just over half a minute slower than the TAS, but that seems to have a fair amount of manipulation in it that I wouldn't expect from a live runner.  Accept
Decision posted.
Exoray
We only host runs for games that have been officially released in one way or another.
Could we get some more information about the status of this game?
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from moooh:
We only host runs for games that have been officially released in one way or another.
Could we get some more information about the status of this game?

Well a quick Google search tells me this game was cancelled, so if anything it could be like the Mother 1 NES cartridges that exist here and there.
From the game's Wikipedia entry:
"The California Raisins: The Grape Escape is a California Raisins video game produced by Capcom in 1990 for the Nintendo Entertainment System that was not released for commercial distribution, and thus remains something of a collector's item."

I didn't see anything regarding a true official release, but apparently carts made it to the market anyway.  Apparently there was press for the game before it was cancelled, as well.  The main thing would probably be whether or not the carts were intentionally released/auctioned/whatever and whether that's enough for SDA.  FWIW I have no strong opinion on the matter, myself, but would probably err on the side of allowing such games.
Haters gonna hate
I'm 99% sure a repro cart or Powerpak was used.

Not sure if it matters if it was played on an NES.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
A picture of the runner holding the cartridge with a paper showing their written forum name and the date would prove whether or not the cartridge is legit or not. Because if its a repro cart or powerpak, its going to be hard to tell just from the video. Only photographic evidence, considering this game was not commercially released, will solve this.
To clear up the confusion: I originally learned/practiced playing this game using a powerpak.  I then had a reproduction cart made from a donor cart through http://www.nesreproductions.com/ .  This reproduction cart was used for the run that I submitted.

I was under the assumption that a reproduction cart would be functionally equivalent to an actual cart (as opposed to my powerpak where I have witnessed subtle differences)  and thus allowed on SDA.  I understand now that this may not be the case (or that runs on reproduction carts are simply banned in call cases).  I have no problem with the decision being revered based on this information - I'll know for the future.