Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: https://speeddemosarchive.com/StarWarsShadowsOfTheEmpire.html

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Any %) (Single Segment) (Easy)

Verifier Responses

Quote from AlecK47:
A/V good, no cheating detected

This run has the audio commentary statID, but no commentary (watched on Normal).

Apparently this game developed more of a community than I knew about or would have expected (18 runners on the learderboard's players page - whoa).  Along with that pleasant surprise are the resulting improvements to the route and glitches abused therein.  The run currently on site is more than four minutes slower than this one in large part because of these new(er) developments, as well as the fact that this run gets the Dianoga skip in the Sewers (apparently it just needed a better setup to not be random?).  That said about the route, the gameplay in this run is also excellent.

Easy accept

PS: I think "Sewers of Imperial City" is actually grammatically correct, because the city is actually called "Imperial City" in canon - even though it's also a planet called (at that point in the timeline) Imperial Center. (yeah... I used to be a HUGE SW nerd)

Edit: After the fact there was a bit of discussion about the use of three different controllers during the run.  Basically they have different feel on the control stick but the same range.  There's precedent for different feel but same limits being OK, and it would have been OK with me anyway so long as the range didn't increase.  Long story short, it's OK.

Quote from Alaris:
I saw this run when it was streamed live on twitch so I was mainly looking for audio/visual issues. There were none that I noticed (watched the HQ file).

There was no cheating. Since I also run this game I can clarify why we switch controllers. We had known about the L+R+Start neutral reset to increase forward speed for a while. You can also do a similar trick for jetpack clipping (the swaying motion mainly), the extra range allows you to get horizontal quicker and zip up faster. Hori minipads and some third party sticks already have this extra range without neutral reset.

The gameplay is excellent throughout, as far as I can tell there are no obvious mistakes that aren't due to random elements of the game. The jetpack clips in this game are finicky, we call it "sway and pray", there is no setup that guarantees that you will clip the ceiling 100%.

Accept

Quote from KennyMan666:
Nothing really specific to say, nice run, good improvement. Nice with the skips, especially the Dianoga one.

Accept!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Nathaniel 'EverAlert' Coughran!
Thread title:  
Thanks guys! When I picked up this game it never crossed my mind that one of my runs would end up on SDA, so this is pretty incredible to me. I should have been less vague about the controllers from the start, but I honestly never imagined it would be an issue. Oh well, I'll know better for next time.

About the Dianoga skip: It's not RNG and never was (it's actually one of the easier big skips imo), by saying "RNG" in quotes I was just taking a little jab at Alec for saying it was RNG in his run's comments. Tongue I'm sure he knows it's all in good fun.

PS AlecK47: Interesting note about the Imperial City! In the past I was a Star Wars nerd myself (tbh I think that's probably true of everyone who's ever wanted to run this game), but I didn't know that. I just thought it sounded weird haha.
Precursor
I posit that I'm the biggest Star Wars nerd of all the verifiers.

Shadows of the Empire was my very first N64 game. So it's special to me even if, in retrospect, it's not all that fantastic of a game.