Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yeah I've got a few of them, but the majority of them are a pain in the arse due to positioning and either relying on teammates to cooperate or hoping the enemy will just get the hell out of my way in time. I've had to put off any running attempts of any games due to work related reasons but I should have enough time now to get some practise in and finish this run. I'll only work on this EF run before anything else mainly because I should've finished it ages ago.

I'll post the first first level up once I'm done with that so I can get some feedback on any possible improvements I can make.

Once I'm done I'll work on EF2 again. Anyone attempted running this game? I reckon it can be done around the 2 hour mark if I can stop my game from glitching at the Enterprise Hull section.
Semi-retired FPS expert
That's good news. I haven't played EF2 in ages, but might pull it out if you really decide to run it. Looking forward to that first level (why not use the one you recorded last time?).
Quote from JediTry:
Looking forward to that first level (why not use the one you recorded last time?).

I wasn't trying Tongue
Ok. Finally pulled my thumb out my arse and got to work on this. Been far too long. Got no excuses for it other than laziness.

Here's the first level done in 4 segments.

Yes 4. I know it doesn't require more than 2 with the jumps at the end but continuous game crashes at the start after 17 seconds into the run were getting too me. Turns out the game autosaves just before the location of the crash so I used that as the first segment. I still cant figure out after several hundred attempts what causes the crash other than going too fast at that particular point in the game, hence the 2 second pause before I drop down to get the Imod.

That should've meant 3 but I was having trouble jumping between a tight gap and a borg and the latter half of segment 2 so I added another, then the final segment is the jumps. I used the autosave points in the game for the segments. Shame about the crash at the start otherwise I could've saved 2-3 more seconds.

I was tempted to redo the last segment as my computer suddenly decided to nearly double the level loading times from what they usually are. Would it be acceptable to edit loading times out altogether? They aren't from the loading of the save points for the segments, but are loading times as you cross over to the next section of the level. I wasn't sure if I should leave them in or edit them out.

Overall I think I'm ahead of psonar up until the drop to get the imod. I had to stop moving briefly to prevent the game crashing. By this point he's caught up but I'm sure I overtake him again and I definately gain a huge amount of time in the end jumps. 

I'll be working on the Etherian ship this weekend. I really dont want to segment each level so much. I think I'll just make the exception for this first mission.
Hey guys,

so this thread is super old but I really wanted to try speedrunning in my off-time from university. The only game i played and that came to my mind when thinking of speedrunning was Elite Force 1. For now i want to try single segment runs as i prefer the idea of finishing everything at once, rather than piece by piece.

I watched Psonars run and learned a lot from it. I'm a bit confused about the timing of the run though, at the top it says "1:13:57" on the other hand Psonar gives "1:12:27" (or "1:12:28" in the spreadsheet) as the run time. Still both do not include the loading times, do they?

Also Reavers run of the first level caused me to start using strafe jumps which i didn't think about until i saw the video, although i should've thought of it, knowing that the game is powered by the Quake 3 engine. I got some movement from playing CoD4, still i can improve in this part. Also i use the two jumps in the first level that Reaver discovered, and the two jumps in the scavenger base, which he described. Overall the idea of strafe jumping shows that there's still a lot of time to save.

My current PB is 1:16:07, but I aim to beat 1:13:57 in a single segment.

Some new things i found out:
  • in the Voyager level in which the Scavengers are attacking, it should be faster to directly use the elevator, kill some of the scavengers from the top and sending the elevator down again, so that Foster can follow faster
  • in the room with the "spiral way" with the "explosives", you can walk on the very right of the way to skip everything without having to deal with the explosives
  • just after using the teleporter that was destroyed and then repaired by the fireflies you can destroy the "spawners" of the etherians on the floor to stop them from spawning. Same goes for the very last hallway just after you met foster for the "camera-like-spawner"
  • Voyager segment after scavenger base: Psonar had trouble that sometimes Tuvok would call instantly and sometimes he wouldn't. The problem is that you trigger the conversation with Biessman and Chell at nearly the same time. Therefore Munro answers them at the same time too, which causes one of Biessman and Chell to bug out. You can notice that as one of them well be staring at you for the rest of the time. Tuvok will then only call after some kind of maximum time that's implemented. To avoid that, you have to make sure that you will be far enough away from Chell and Biessmann, so that Munro won't answer them. Effectively this means you have to wait a bit for Telsia to move around the lockers to be able to talk to her and then leave the room before Munro would answer Chell and Biessmann
  • In Borg Cube, when Seven takes forever to open the force field, Psonar already figured out that you have to let the borg push your teammates back and then only have to kill a few specific borg which beam into the room directly. I did a little overview of the exact spawns of those borg
  • when going into the shaft to destroy the distribution node, you can use your Tetryon Pulse disruptor and some setup to destroy it around the corner. Same goes for the distribution node in the shaft that you cross wenn going down the elevator
  • at the first jump area on Forge make sure to not start jumping until your team followed, else Biessman can get stuck. If Biessman starts saying "Hey Chell, hope you're not afraid of heights" you should be good to go. Though, this feels really messy to me and prevents some fast jumping strats
  • In Forge there are some elevators with enemies on them. If you want to jump down these eleavtors make sure to land on the heads of the enemies. This makes sure that the elevators go down when you land and is really useful to not wait for the elevator to move up at first

Would be great to see if someone would still be interested in this game!

greetz Sphere

Hi. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I did a WIP of the 2nd level as well where the scavengers invade the ship:

Unfortunately my life revolves around work so finding time to do anything is difficult for me. I had to put speedrunning on hold. If I remember any tips or tricks I'll post them for you.
Double post...

Started watching your current PB single segment. You're quite good at strafe jumping. Unfortunately I'm quite poor at it which is why I stuck to segments when I started.  In the vid of my 2nd level I posted above, the platforming at 0:53 can be done quicker. You can jump straight across to the platform with the control panel from the platform you exited the jefferies tube onto. It requires a slight run up and a very well timed precise jump. You would probably have more success than I had with it. My fight with the scavengers could've been done quicker.

For the Etherian ship, I think there is a trick for the first group you encounter when you board the ship (If I recall it correctly. I maybe wrong and might need a bit of testing as it has been a long time since I played this game). The battle is time based iirc. You can use a hand phaser to destroy the enemy spawn platforms. The firefly type creatures will regenerate the damage, but you can destroy the consoles on the opposite side of the room to keep them busy. Keep destroying the projectors if they rebuild them. You may need to switch to a more powerful weapon to keep destroying them but if you do it right you can get through that section without fighting anyone or fighting only a few. This is if i remember correctly. Might need a bit of testing to confirm.
Wow, wouldn't have expected such a quick answer (if any at all)! Awesome, thx a lot Smiley

I love your backwalking in the jeffreys tubes, feels so fluid.

When i did some routing i tried jumping over that collapsed platform as well and did declare it as impossible relatively quickly. Glad you brought it up. I  just messed with it for almost an hour straight and yep, it's damn hard Undecided Also I'm not sure about my setup yet. Jumping from the middle of the grid to the middle of the grid on the other side is kinda not doable, is it? What I had the most success with is going to the very left of the platform with some run up. Then i do a left-strafe onto the very right end of the platform (onto the bent rail). i then follow with another left strafe and while mid air do a right turn to land on the very left bent rail of the opposite platform. Not sure whether that's the best approach. Despite the difficulty i will probably just try it in runs, it doesn't cost that much time if i fail it anyways. Also I'm not convinced by my strafe jumping yet, i feel like i'm to hesitant with my mouse movement which costs me speed and jump length.

I also went back to testing the intruders part yet again. Turns out that if you stay on the lower level and use the elevator together with Foster it takes ~28 seconds from Tuvoks call until the door is opened. If you directly go to the upper level and don't send the elevator back down, it takes ~34 seconds until the door is opened. If you go to the upper level and send the elevator back it takes ~28 seconds. So going onto the upper level and sending the elevator down seems just as fast as staying on the lower level from Tuvoks call on. So the only difference is how fast each way is at triggering Tuvoks call by killing the enemys.

I did a comparison of my best scavenger fight with your video: (how do i embed yt-videos?). I missed two shots and one could've been faster, but like you said, your fight could also be faster. Not sure which strat to go with, though I kinda like the overview I have from the upper level.

Yep, the first room of the etherians should be timed. There are 5 waves with 6 seconds delay in between them, and 30 seconds after the first wave all of them disappear. No matter whether you fight them, kill the spawners or run around like a headless chicken it was like that everytime for me. Therefore i decided to take the relaxing way of just shooting them with two primary shots of the compression rifle just like Psonar - you get the ammo back anyways.

Thanks for all the feedback and tips! Highly appreciated Smiley
Edit history:
Reaver: 2014-08-09 05:32:07 pm
Reaver: 2014-08-09 05:29:11 pm
Reaver: 2014-08-09 08:44:33 am
Thought I'd add your comparison vid in Smiley

(To embed the video paste the 'youtube.com/...' URL of your video, instead of the 'youtu.be/...' one)

Your scavenger fight strat in the cargo bay looks pretty good. Can see everyone with the overview from the upper level. I think I tried that a few times but wasn't as successful. Plus Foster kept getting stuck on the elevator and I couldn't proceed further. I decided to stick to the ground level and work out the enemy spawns and best places to stand. I lost a few seconds mainly due to poor aim on some enemies. My strategy was designed to use the scavenger rifle to combat the remaining scavengers up until the very last wave in cargo bay 1 where I would use the compression rifle from the corner of the room.

EDIT: Watched the rest of your PB run. Was quite good. Unlucky with those deaths on the forge. You were quite close to getting the record. Seems like you figured out the majority of tricks 23:00 - Jump straight onto the crane and walk on the ledge to get to the other side. No need to wait. 35:16 - Jump past the rubbish instead of going around.

21:30 - IIRC you can also strafe jump across from the middle platform then climb a ladder to the upper platform. Might be slightly easier than jumping across from the top platform.
25:35 - Completely pointless trick but you can send the lift down and once it is below the level load trigger drop down. You'll hit the load trigger before hitting the lift. I think there was either a health or weapon recharge terminal on the other side of the lift controls so you could pick that up whilst the lift is going down. Doesn't save time, maybe even costs a second.
38:08 - You can strafe jump across from that platform directly to the other on the opposite side, cutting out a section of the level. However your crew mates are insistent on fighting every member of species 8472 that they encounter and seem virtually incapable of killing one. I was working on seeing if pushing the elevator button would make them run over to you quicker but the jump is difficult and I had a low success rate.  Might be worth a go to see if it works.
48:20 - I recall being able to push both buttons on the laser controls at the same time if you stand in between them and look at them at the right angle. Should save a few seconds.

I can't recall any other time savers or tricks at the moment. I think the biggest one was the crane on the 23rd century federation ship section but you already figured that out.

Looking forward to seeing more attempts Smiley
Edit history:
Sphere: 2014-08-10 10:51:43 am
Sphere: 2014-08-10 10:51:34 am
Wouldn't have thought to get it that quickly, but i just got 1:13:01 Smiley

http://www.twitch.tv/spheremj/c/4873876

Great run overall, only huge mistake was Tuvok getting stuck in Dreadnought and therefore having to redo the level. Also died once in Borg Cube and fell down in the Etherian ship and I feel like there were lots of small mistakes and that there's still quite some time to save.

Quote from Reaver:
21:30 - IIRC you can also strafe jump across from the middle platform then climb a ladder to the upper platform. Might be slightly easier than jumping across from the top platform.

That would be slower, wouldn't it? I also changed my setup, i don't do two jumps anymore. Basically i just go now and jump (wouldn't have thought it would be that easy) and it feels pretty smooth.

Quote from Reaver:
38:08 - You can strafe jump across from that platform directly to the other on the opposite side, cutting out a section of the level. However your crew mates are insistent on fighting every member of species 8472 that they encounter and seem virtually incapable of killing one. I was working on seeing if pushing the elevator button would make them run over to you quicker but the jump is difficult and I had a low success rate.  Might be worth a go to see if it works.

You can jump over that gap? Woaah, second time i thought "that's impossible" while it isn't ;-; There's an even easier way though. The whole room has a ledge on the walls. You can just jump onto that and walk onto the other side. I doubt it's gonna be faster tho as you have to go get your teammates anyways, like you said.
I figured out that you can kill your teammates and right after that save and load the game. You can then continue playing and won't be sent to brig. Unfortunately every elevator i tested yet, seems to be coded as "this guy and this guy and this guy have to be on the elevator before it moves" instead of "all remaining teammates have to be on the elevator". This would really make the run a lot faster and more enjoyable :/ You can even kill only some specific teammates. For example at the first jump section in Forge, you can kill Telsia and Biessman, save and load the game, watch out that Chell doesn't kill you and then let him run down and open the forcefield. I tried this because when jumping the fastest way possible, Biessman would get stuck. Waiting for your team to follow (so that Biessman won't get stuck) is faster than killing Telsia and Biessman though.

Quote from Reaver:
48:20 - I recall being able to push both buttons on the laser controls at the same time if you stand in between them and look at them at the right angle. Should save a few seconds.

When i tested this, the laser would only go left, even if i pushed the button for "left" and "up" at the same time, so i forgot about that quickly. After reading your comment i tried it again and noticed that the laser would go twice as fast to the left! For me, if i push two consoles at the same time, the left one of those consoles will decide the direction, but it will always do to steps instead of one. With that i think that the optimized way would be to first push "up" and "down" together 4 times (which results in 8 times "up") and then push "left" and "up" together until the laser is one step besides the chair. Then push only "left" once and you're good to go.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I just wondered whether i should rather split when the first loading time is over instead of when hitting "engange"?
Edit history:
Sphere: 2014-08-24 09:56:12 am
Sphere: 2014-08-22 11:07:22 am
sry for double embarassed

1:12:02 Smiley (without load times 1:10:07). Borg and Species 8472 were bad. Had 1hp on harvester invasion and 5hp in forge Cheesy Also first run with the autosplitter for LiveSplit that i'm writing (don't have to bother with splitting anymore, yay!).
I'm getting pretty consistent at your jump in the first Voyager section Reaver, also got it in the new PB.

Unfortunately I came across a lot of bugs in the later levels that can easily kill a good run :/
  • Telsia completely disappearing in first Dreadnought map
  • Chang getting stuck in a borg alcoven (right after you jump past the rubbish with the yellow fog)
  • Chell isn't able to find the way in first Dreadnought map
  • Tuvok staying in the lift in second Dreadnought map (old PB)
  • Tuvok not moving and giving Chell the command to open the door in second Dreadnought map
  • Seven bugging around and not opening the force field just before Species 8472 (twitch and local recoding derped unfortunately)
  • In borg cube after a cutscene the game may throw you back to the main menu. Console says "ERROR: CL_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out" (same recording as above)

These are all pretty annoying and i'm not sure how to avoid them. I guess i have to be more careful while moving to let my teammates more room, it seems to get problematic with more teammates in the later levels.
Edit history:
Sphere: 2014-09-27 11:47:59 am
Sphere: 2014-09-15 04:23:22 pm
Sphere: 2014-09-15 04:20:43 pm
Sphere: 2014-09-15 04:19:06 pm
1:10:54 (after retiming by frames) Smiley

Found some new skips (some are used in the 1:10:54, some aren't):
  • Skip in Scavenger Base
  • Skip in Forge
  • Skip in Dreadnought
  • A whole skip-"family": You can skip all conversations that show in the box at the top iff the guy who's talking is not loaded as model in the current map + your own dialog parts by jumping exactly when the dialog begins. Can save quite a lot of time especially on the longer dialogs. Did a list of the usable skips in my last streams

Sub 1:10 shouldn't be to hard and is my next goal, but i don't have as much freetime anymore.
Nice skips. How does the Dreadnought one work exactly?

I'll watch your run a bit later Smiley
Thanks Smiley

For the Dreadnought skip you make sure that the robot jumps down the elevator with you. Then you go close to the rods and wait for the robot to follow you. When jumping below the rods you start taking damage - as intended. The robot still follows you and starts taking damage as well. But apparently the rods only ever deal damage to one gameentity, therefore you stop taking damage as soon as the robot hits the rods. I'm not sure what happens internally though, i noticed it by chance when trying to just use 100 health as buffer and go through there quickly enough (which doesnt work).
Good luck with all this! I played the first game and liked it a lot. Will verify when it's time for that.
Edit history:
Sphere: 2014-09-27 11:54:38 am
Thx LotBlind Smiley

I would like to know whether the changes i made to my config fulfill the SDA rules. I would say the changes i made are only visual, then again "visual" can mean a lot. The most critical changes are probably "com_maxfps 125" and the bobbing stuff. Anyone got an idea how the 125 FPS stuff is handled in quake speedruns?

Anyways, have a look at it by yourself, I commented the settings i changed that are exclusively changeable through the config:
Code:
// generated by STVOY, do not modify
unbindall
bind TAB "+info"
bind SPACE "+moveup"
bind - "weapon 10"
bind 0 "weapon 0"
bind 1 "weapon 1"
bind 2 "weapon 2"
bind 3 "weapon 3"
bind 4 "weapon 4"
bind 5 "weapon 5"
bind 6 "weapon 6"
bind 7 "weapon 7"
bind 8 "weapon 8"
bind 9 "weapon 9"
bind = "weapon 11"
bind ` "toggleconsole"
bind a "+moveleft"
bind c "+movedown"
bind d "+moveright"
bind e "weapon 6"
bind f "+use"
bind h "weapon 12"
bind q "weapon 5"
bind r "weapon 7"
bind s "+back"
bind t "messagemode2"
bind v "+button2"
bind w "+forward"
bind x "weapon 9"
bind y "weapon 8"
bind ~ "toggleconsole"
bind SHIFT "+speed"
bind F1 "vote yes"
bind F2 "vote no"
bind F11 "screenshot"
bind MOUSE1 "+attack"
bind MOUSE2 "+altattack"
bind MOUSE3 "+zoom"
bind MOUSE4 "weapnext"
bind MOUSE5 "weapprev"
seta com_hunkMegs "256" // increase memory to prevent crash in stasis2 because of r_subdivisions 1
seta com_maxfps "125" // 125 fps because of quake engine
seta com_FirstTime "1"
seta in_midi "0"
seta in_midiport "1"
seta in_midichannel "1"
seta in_mididevice "0"
seta in_mouse "-1"
seta in_joystick "0"
seta in_joyBallScale "0.02"
seta joy_threshold "0.150000"
seta js_ffmult "3.0"
seta joy_xbutton "1"
seta joy_ybutton "0"
seta k_language "DEUTSCH"
seta use_ff "0"
seta ff_defaultTension "1"
seta conAlpha "1.6"
seta panoNumShots "10"
seta cl_yawspeed "140"
seta cl_pitchspeed "140"
seta cl_anglespeedkey "1.500000"
seta cl_maxpackets "30"
seta cl_packetdup "1"
seta cl_run "1"
seta sensitivity "2.700000"
seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
seta cl_freelook "1"
seta cl_VideoQuality "0"
seta cl_VideoUsingLoRes "0"
seta g_language ""
seta cg_autoswitch "0"
seta m_pitch "0.022000"
seta m_yaw "0.022"
seta m_forward "0.25"
seta m_side "0.25"
seta m_filter "0"
seta name "Munro"
seta snaps "20"
seta sex "male"
seta handicap "100"
seta cg_viewsize "100"
seta r_lowendvideo "0"
seta r_picmip "0"
seta r_lodbias "0"
seta r_detailtextures "0" // makes some textures really blurry but increases performance
seta r_dynamiclight "0"
seta r_flares "0"
seta r_subdivisions "1" // makes round objects more round (visually), looks better
seta cg_shadows "0" // removes ugly shadows
seta r_glDriver "opengl32"
seta r_allowExtensions "1"
seta r_ext_compress_textures "1"
seta r_ext_compress_lightmaps "0"
seta r_ext_preferred_tc_method "0"
seta r_ext_gamma_control "1"
seta r_ext_multitexture "1"
seta r_ext_compiled_vertex_array "1"
seta r_ext_texture_env_add "1"
seta r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "1"
seta r_picmipmin "8"
seta r_roundImagesDown "1"
seta r_texturebits "32"
seta r_texturebitslm "0"
seta r_colorbits "0"
seta r_stereo "0"
seta r_stencilbits "0"
seta r_depthbits "0"
seta r_overBrightBits "0"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"
seta r_mode "5"
seta r_fullscreen "0"
seta r_customwidth "1600"
seta r_customheight "1024"
seta r_customaspect "1"
seta r_simpleMipMaps "1"
seta r_vertexLight "0"
seta r_smp "0"
seta r_ignoreFastPath "1"
seta r_intensity "1.0"
seta r_lodCurveError "1000" // keeps round objects round at higher distances (visually), looks better
seta r_ignoreGLErrors "1"
seta r_fastsky "0"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_dlightBacks "1"
seta r_finish "0"
seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_facePlaneCull "1"
seta r_railWidth "16"
seta r_railCoreWidth "6"
seta r_railSegmentLength "32"
seta r_primitives "0"
seta r_lastValidRenderer "GeForce GT 740M/PCIe/SSE2"
seta vid_xpos "399"
seta vid_ypos "0"
seta s_volume "0.744828"
seta s_volumeVoice "0.868966"
seta s_musicvolume "0.248276"
seta s_separation "0.5"
seta s_khz "22"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta s_mixPreStep "0.05"
seta s_language ""
seta s_mp3overhead "31740"
seta s_rolloff "1.0"
seta s_doppler "1.0"
seta s_distance "100.0"
seta s_min_distance "3.0"
seta s_max_distance "1000.0"
seta s_leafnum "0"
seta s_refgain "0.45"
seta s_refdelay "2.0"
seta s_polykeep "1000000000"
seta s_polysize "10000000"
seta s_polyreflectsize "10000000"
seta s_numpolys "400"
seta s_bloat "2.0"
seta s_occfactor "0.5"
seta s_occ_eq "0.75"
seta cg_drawCrosshair "1"
seta cg_drawCrosshairNames "0"
seta cg_marks "0"
seta ui_initialsetup "1"
seta cm_playerCurveClip "1"
seta cg_drawGun "1"
seta cg_fov "90" // widens fov, less claustrophobic
seta cg_stereoSeparation "0.4"
seta cg_draw2D "1"
seta cg_drawStatus "1"
seta cg_drawTimer "0"
seta cg_drawFPS "0"
seta cg_drawSnapshot "0"
seta cg_drawAmmoWarning "1"
seta cg_crosshairSize "18" // make the crosshair a bit smaller
seta cg_crosshairHealth "0"
seta cg_crosshairX "0"
seta cg_crosshairY "0"
seta cg_simpleItems "0"
seta cg_runpitch "0" // removes all the annoying screen shake effects
seta cg_runroll "0"  // ^
seta cg_bobup "0"    // ^
seta cg_bobpitch "0" // ^
seta cg_bobroll "0"  // ^
seta cg_missionInfoFlashTime "0" // remove annoyin "mission info updated" text
seta g_spskill "0"
seta g_subtitles "0" // remove subtitles
seta com_zoneMegs "10"

The last few days I was messing with the "dialog skips" as i like to call them and noticed, that the finding was bigger than i thought, as I can skip dialogs of my teammates by shooting them at the right time. Here is what i currently know and a presumption of how it works:

Every character in the game has his own "sound channel", in which everything he says is played. It can't play two sounds at the same time though, a second sound in the same channel will abort the first one. To stop the player from aborting a character in a scripted (story relevant) dialog, it is ensured that the typical reactions "Sorry Munro, I'm busy" or "Hey, why are you shooting me?" are not triggered when talking to (with the "use"-key) or shooting him. However there is a narrow time window between the start of such dialog and this ensurance, in which you can shoot the character, which replaces the dialog entirely with the standard "Don't shoot me" response.

Additionally there's a sound channel for Munro (the player) himself, that's used for all his respones, the jump-noises and so on. Interestingly this channel seems to be used for dialogs of characters who are not loaded in the map as well (for example when Foster gives instructions in Scavenger base). So by jumping at the right moment you can skip your own responses and anything a character says who is not present in the current map, as those sounds get replaced by the jump-sound.

This is limited by the fact that if responses are chained directly after another, the narrow time window doesn't seem to exist. There aren't a whole lot situations where that is the case though. Also in most Voyager levels your teammates will immediately start firing at you when tickling them slightly with your phaser. I completed my list of all dialog skips that are useful for the run as well as i could, hope i didn't miss too many.

TL;DR: Shoot characters that are in the map right as they start saying something. Jump right as you or a person that is not in the map is about to say something.
I know you've probably read this but I'm quoting it here now...

"Editing config files and console commands for PC games beyond the scope of the ingame settings are only allowed for purely cosmetic changes that grant no gameplay advantages"

And if I had to interpret this, in lieu of an admin doing so, I'd say you can't change the fov to higher than game allows, and you can't remove any screen shake effects. When you say seta cg_shadows "0" removes "ugly shadows" that doesn't affect lighting does it? Dunno about FPS.
Edit history:
Sphere: 2014-09-27 03:25:35 pm
Sphere: 2014-09-27 02:46:45 pm
That's what i read, yes. I would've thought the fov and the screen shaking count as cosmetic changes, as it doesn't influence aiming afaik (i.e. the gun and crosshair aren't shaking), it only makes me feel like i'm on a ship during a storm Cheesy But if it's not allowed i will deal with that. cg_shadows "0" literally only removes black areas on the ground that are supposed to be shadows, everything else looks the same (= same lightning).

Thanks for your thoughts, i guess the rules are stricter than i interpreted. Would indeed be good to have an admin on this. Can i ask somewhere explicitly?
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2014-09-28 09:22:26 am
LotBlind: 2014-09-28 09:20:55 am
I singled out those ones because it sounds it might give you an edge at spotting enemies and at seeing what you're doing (maybe it doesn't?).

You can just PM one of the them. I think any one of them can answer you. (the guys in green in the online users list)
1:09:38, the dialog skips are real Grin Still lots and lots of time to save, i only got a fraction of the possible dialog skips and overall it was pretty sloppy at times, as this was pretty much the first run after all that testing of the dialog skips.

Btw, the only config settings i used in that run were 'cg_fov "90"' and 'cg_shadows "0"'. Moooh told me that fov changes should be ok as they have been okayed for other games aswell. I would still like to disable the "misson info updated" text though, will ask him or another admin whether that's okay.
Long live SF64!
Thought I'd come crash my old thread!  Haven't been on SDA in years.  Awesome to see activity on Elite Force! I'm very fuzzy on details, so I'm sure my run notes and forum history are more informative than I would be.  If I had to guess I'd say the timing differences were simply that we timed the segments differently in terms of when control was gained or lost.  Anyways good luck on the run!  Can't believe you whippersnappers these days with twitch and non-sucky YouTube. I had a totally ghetto setup for recording PC to VHS!  Have fun!
Hey Psonar, cool to see you! Your notes and this thread made me wanna speedrun EF myself and were very helpful Smiley And hey, at least I'm still familiar with VHS Cheesy I'm currently very busy with university stuff, so I don't have time for running at the moment. I will definitely continue in my vacation (~February/March next year) though Smiley 
Edit history:
Sphere: 2015-01-30 04:31:16 pm
Sphere: 2015-01-29 01:59:21 pm
Sphere: 2015-01-29 01:59:03 pm
Sphere: 2015-01-29 01:58:55 pm
Sphere: 2015-01-29 01:57:57 pm
Finally have time to do some speedrunning again Smiley I'm not finished with EF1, but i recently felt like trying out EF2 and bought it.

Quote from Reaver:
EDIT: Hit a snag on mission 5 where you have to defend the Enterprise. When walking on the ship and disabling sabotage devices I can't actually walk on the ships hull. It just floats off immediately. As soon as one of the Idrill hit me with their shockwave weapons I go flying off and wont fall back down. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Because I'm not attached to the hull it wont jump either. I tried the latest patch but that didn't help.

I'm still on my first playthrough, but already encountered the same bug. This seems to be caused by the framerate of ~90 FPS that you get at the default "com_maxfps 85" setting with a decent pc. It can be fixed by lowering the FPS i.e. with a program like dxtory, enabling vsync or using the console to set com_maxfps to something lower than 83.

Quote from Reaver:
On EF2 they seemed to have introduced some annoying air gliding in your jumps which causes you to stay in the air much longer by the looks of it. I could be wrong but it just looks a lot slower to me. I might run through EF1 and see the total amount of time I can cut from the current run.

It's quite different from EF1 indeed. To me it seems like you get slowed down when attempting to continue your strafe after landing on the ground. I will experiment with this and try to find the optimal way of jumping. One fun fact is that they have forgotten to add that slowdown on objects that are actors, so you can do the normal EF1 jumping for example on top of your teammates heads, on these "light bridges" and so on.

Edit: Watched the SDA run by Thomas Sturm and noticed that his bunny hoping looks like in EF1. As he played on patch 1.1 i installed it as well and that indeed gives me jumping physics like in EF1.
Edit history:
Reaver: 2015-01-31 11:40:55 am
Reaver: 2015-01-31 11:40:25 am
Reaver: 2015-01-31 11:39:39 am
Reaver: 2015-01-31 11:29:55 am
Reaver: 2015-01-31 11:28:03 am
Reaver: 2015-01-31 09:15:29 am
Quote from Sphere:
Finally have time to do some speedrunning again Smiley I'm not finished with EF1, but i recently felt like trying out EF2 and bought it.

Quote from Reaver:
EDIT: Hit a snag on mission 5 where you have to defend the Enterprise. When walking on the ship and disabling sabotage devices I can't actually walk on the ships hull. It just floats off immediately. As soon as one of the Idrill hit me with their shockwave weapons I go flying off and wont fall back down. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Because I'm not attached to the hull it wont jump either. I tried the latest patch but that didn't help.

I'm still on my first playthrough, but already encountered the same bug. This seems to be caused by the framerate of ~90 FPS that you get at the default "com_maxfps 85" setting with a decent pc. It can be fixed by lowering the FPS i.e. with a program like dxtory, enabling vsync or using the console to set com_maxfps to something lower than 83.

Quote from Reaver:
On EF2 they seemed to have introduced some annoying air gliding in your jumps which causes you to stay in the air much longer by the looks of it. I could be wrong but it just looks a lot slower to me. I might run through EF1 and see the total amount of time I can cut from the current run.

It's quite different from EF1 indeed. To me it seems like you get slowed down when attempting to continue your strafe after landing on the ground. I will experiment with this and try to find the optimal way of jumping. One fun fact is that they have forgotten to add that slowdown on objects that are actors, so you can do the normal EF1 jumping for example on top of your teammates heads, on these "light bridges" and so on.

Edit: Watched the SDA run by Thomas Sturm and noticed that his bunny hoping looks like in EF1. As he played on patch 1.1 i installed it as well and that indeed gives me jumping physics like in EF1.

Didn't realise it was the fps causing that. First time I played it was on a much older pc so I never had that problem, probably because I wasn't reaching the high framerates.

I recall finding a few additional skips/tricks. Can't remember if they are in the current run. I'll have to rewatch it. I'll see if I can remember what I found and upload it. Might give you a few places to save time.

EDIT: Okay, I've watched some of the current run. A lot of time could probably be shaved off with better accuracy. Game seems a bit buggy at times when I tried recording it. Occasionally stutters causing my guns to fire continuously even though I am not pressing any buttons.

EDIT 2: Two small timesavers: The new compression rifle you receive in the holodeck mission with Korban is quite effective when enemies are bunched close together. This rifle doesn't seem to consume much ammo compared to some others. One of the things with the current run is ammo conservation. Constantly having to switch weapons as one runs out costing a few seconds in places. 

The other small timesaver is in the initial Borg mission. A lot of the nodes that you have to destroy are tucked away around a corner or slightly obscured from view. You don't have to aim right at them. The secondary fire mode on the compression rifle provides sufficient damage to hit them if you aim close enough to them. 

WARNING: The volume seems excessively loud on the clip so might need to turn it down a bit before pressing play.

One I didn't show is on the Attrexian station the arc welders secondary fire is quite effective for the large numbers of enemies when defending the Attrexian, as long as they are a distance away. You can setup the cloud, shoot in to it when a decent number of enemies are close and it should weaken/destroy a good number. 
Edit history:
Sphere: 2015-01-31 02:23:27 pm
Sphere: 2015-01-31 12:58:23 pm
Thx for your input Reaver, nice idea with the distribution nodes. The secondary fire of the arc welder is indeed very interesting. Your video seems to be private though Cheesy

Edit: Works now, nice little time savers, will use those Smiley