Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 11:19:51 pm
Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 10:52:34 pm
Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 10:50:51 pm
Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 10:50:08 pm
Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 10:41:06 pm
Potato Handle: 2015-10-08 10:39:02 pm
Plays games quickly. Eventually.

Spudcon Schedule!

Greets there boys and girls! I've been talking about having an event at my house for a while, but never really done it because of my location. But asking around seems to have generated some interest, so we're gunna do this!

(Just in case it isn't obvious, If you have to choose between ASM and this, go to ASM, this will be tiny and chill as fudge.)

What?
A streamed speedrun/gaming event at my house.

When?
March 29th - 31st.
We'll get people arriving on the 29th, and we'll start streaming on the 30th.

Where?
My house in Ararat, VIC.

Sounds good, I'm thinking about coming, what do I need to know?
Engage gratuitous attendee details below.
How? (The fuck do I get there?)
Fly to Melbourne, Train from Melbourne to Ararat direct (Check times!) or train to Ballarat and I'll pick you up the day before.

Accommodation
About 8-10 people can stay at my house. If we go over that, I'll get some details on other accommodation.

Cost?
If you're staying at mine, $20. If you're staying elsewhere, or wanna cook (Or buy) everyone a meal; free.

Not sure if you can make it?
I'm fine with people deciding last-minute, but accommodation and runs will go to the people who can 'book in' early.

Charity
None, this is just for funsies. If people sub during the marathon, I'll buy you all some candy or something.

Caveat
The expression of interest form I handed out a while ago had a decent amount of submissions, but things may have changed, or may change before the date.
Basically, just be aware that we might end up having a tiny event with like, 3 people. I'll keep you all updated on submissions though.

What to expect
  • Glorious 480p @ 800kbps streaming to my channel.
  • HDMI and composite streaming setup.
  • PAL consoles supplied: PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Gamecube, Wii U.
  • Non-PAL consoles: Super Famicom (J) and Sega Genesis (US) with flash carts and 3rd party controllers.
  • A old game PC with a GTX 760. (Runs most modern games in the 30-60fps region.)
  • Big TV and couch for spectators.

What to not expect
  • A CRT. (I have a 144hz 1ms LCD though.)
  • Getting shitfaced.
  • Other stuff to do in Ararat.
  • Air conditioning.
  • Internet. (Wifi use will choke the stream, so it'll be BYO 3G/4G.)

• Content
    We'll of course be doing speedruns, but I'm also interested in 'exhibition' runs. So glitchfests, challenges; maybe you're a tetris grand master or something, anything cool you wanna show off that people might not have seen before, basically.

Short speedruns with good commentary preferred, everything concidered though.

Signs-ups are closed. We have more than enough content for 2 days. I'll work out a rough schedule soon. If you're still interested in coming, but missed the sign-up form, let me know. All are welcome, I just can't guarantee runs/accommodation for everyone past this point.

Hope to see a bunch of you there. \o/

Induction videos for attendees
    #1 - House Tour and stream basics.
    Thread title:  
    Edit history:
    Potato Handle: 2015-10-13 12:06:53 am
    Update #1 - 8 submissions so far, only a couple of 'maybe's, enough for the first day for sure. Others have expressed interest but are waiting a bit to sign up.

Most people are accessing the form externally, so don't be too discouraged by the lack of activity in this thread!
    DO THE MEATEO
    Oh this event will be glorious. I will bring lots of Ye Olde Stoney Ginger Beer as an offering!
    I dug out an old picture of the streaming setup for people who are interested:
    http://i.imgur.com/HmkqtEJ.jpg

The runner will be on the desk at the left, reading chat off the laptop, playing off the screen at the top left. (Which has been upgraded since the photo) And people will be able to spectate on the TV from the couch. Hoping to have a big chat window open on another screen (In portrait) which will be readable from everywhere in the room.

I'll have a moveable microphone on a stand for couch commentary and the like.
    Edit history:
    Potato Handle: 2015-11-09 11:22:15 pm
    Potato Handle: 2015-11-09 11:20:37 pm
    So we're pretty much set. We have lots of content for 2 days, depending on maybes, we might be even looking at 3.

Travel Info for Attendees
    - You can show up a day or two early or leave late within reason, I'm flexible to your travel plans. We might do either a group thing or more streaming on the 1st April (No, not a fool. >_>). Depends on a million things, consider it a gamble. Up to you if you want to stick around.

- It'd be good if PC runners could get here with enough time to install what they need, change settings, do a test run or do whatever they need to. The PC will be more-or-less inaccessible while the stream is going.

- Most people have selected that they will catch a train to Ararat. Keep in mind that the direct Melbourne to Ararat train doesn't run every day.

- If that's a problem, I can catch you from Ballarat instead though.

(PS: If you're not in the group chat and want more info on the other people attending, I have a ghetto-as-fudge schedule you can check out, so send me a message. I'll make a public schedule when we know a few more maybes.)
    Hi there! Nathan here. I've introduced myself to some of you already, but if you don't know me, I'm a new DKC runner from Melbourne. Assuming there's still room for me, I would like to run Donkey Kong Country (Any%, All Stages), and maybe the other two DKC SNES games depending on if you have time for me and if I can learn them in time for the marathon. I'm currently running on emulator but I am trying to find a SNES to buy very soon. So would I bring my own console or do you have a SNES there? If not I could always just run off emulator during the race.

I am aware that accommodation is currently full, and I have discussed with Potato Handle already that I would be more than happy to sleep in a tent outside (I enjoy camping). As for getting there, I would probably just take the train to Ararat and walk to your house. I'll have to look into the train timetables and stuff some time. Also, I've only just turned 18, so I would like to get to know some of you better before the event - just so its not weird (I don't do this sort of thing often). I'd appreciate being added to the group chat. I hope that's okay.

Cheers,
    nathantah Smiley
    Edit history:
    JRP2234: 2015-12-07 02:25:09 am
    I was gonna submit but forgot :/ I will pop up regardless to meet a few people because its only a 2 hour drive.

If its still possible I want to run Metroid Fusion 100% at the event, I have the current World Record.
    Yeah, people are still welcome to swing by, but we're totally out of room for people to stay, so if you wanna come you'll need somewhere else to stay. (Or a tent, haha.) My guess is that we should find some extra time to stream other late-submitted runs, but I'm not going to confirm that for sure, and prolly won't know until the event happens.

I have a Super Famicom (And a genesis) with a flashcart and 3rd party controllers, but if there's any chance that your console will be in some way better/more familiar/preferred, bring it along just in case.

Early next year, I'll be making videos explaining details like how to set up your runs, where everything is, and a bunch of other stuff. I don't want to go information overload, but I'm not very good at bossing people around, so I want people to be pretty well prepared before they get here, and pretty self-sufficient while they're here.

Fling me your skype name Nathan and I'll get you in the skype group. (nathantah on skype is a french dude, hehe.)

(Sorry for the late replies, I'm on holidays, haha.)
    Edit history:
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 09:49:01 pm
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 06:01:40 pm
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 06:01:31 pm
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 06:00:54 pm
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 06:00:40 pm
    Potato Handle: 2016-01-06 05:39:39 pm
    Public schedule has been made and is available here!
    spudcon.com
    \o/

The official event hashtag will be #Spudcon2016, so get it out there; a) because I want people to know about the event, and b) my twitter code in the spreadsheet will be broken until we have at least 9 tweets. Kappa
    I'll be starting to promote the event as much as I can after AGDQ, and would appreciate any help! \o/

Next up will be attendee induction videos, which should start trickling in over the next week or two.
    DO THE MEATEO
    ohhh baby! Looking forward to this!
    Spudcon induction video #1:

Basically just a house tour with the stream setup, more specific things later on. If you're going to spudcon, it's gunna be your homework to watch all these videos as they come out, haha. If there's any questions, let me know.
    Cheese It
    Man, how am I only finding this thread now? Undecided I might try to go anyway and just hang out with people. (I live nearby so accommodation/travel would be no problem.)
    Small update for attendees: I've sent a message to you all (I think) with a form to fill out so I can get some basic info on when people are coming/going and what they're bringing. If you're coming (Even if you're not running anything), and haven't filled out that form, let me know and I'll PM you a link.

Two more induction videos should appear soon, but closer to the event. One will focus on where all the food and facilities are, the other will be a tutorial on how to set up your runs.
    Finally time for Spudcon attendance video #2.

I forgot to mention the thing I most wanted to cover in the video, which was how you get to my house once you make it to Ararat; basically I'll just go and grab pick up up when you arrive, I'll give out my number late this week so you can call.
    Edit history:
    Potato Handle: 2016-03-25 05:12:17 am
    And here's the last one. I'll see you all soon! \o/

(FYI: There's a step-by-step version of these instructions in the video description.)
    Thanks to everyone for making this such a great event, if you didn't see it, I wrote up some final thoughts here: https://twitter.com/BoggyB/status/716207195554066432
    Thanks again, we might see you again next year. \o/