Smiley
Sad
<- 1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I tweeted @blechy already but just to say some more words here, I think it wouldn't hurt to have [nosrl] be like, the absolute "do not show up on front page" stream word thing. With auto-detect obviously it's still there, but with current set-up (I have "always on" selected) I wouldn't have to worry about title, unless I wanted to stream a casual playthrough or whatever crap, then having to go into profile and changing settings blablabla. It's not a total inconvenience but just something I thought of in my brain while I was having lunch. Quesadillas, if you're wondering.
Quote from jape:
I tweeted @blechy already but just to say some more words here, I think it wouldn't hurt to have [nosrl] be like, the absolute "do not show up on front page" stream word thing. With auto-detect obviously it's still there, but with current set-up (I have "always on" selected) I wouldn't have to worry about title, unless I wanted to stream a casual playthrough or whatever crap, then having to go into profile and changing settings blablabla. It's not a total inconvenience but just something I thought of in my brain while I was having lunch. Quesadillas, if you're wondering.

I've heard a couple of people echo that request - that may change in the near future.
I'm very disappointed by the decision not to use [yesrl] as the intentional opt-in tag.
Arkham speedrunner
Quote from Vulajin:
I'm very disappointed by the decision not to use [yesrl] as the intentional opt-in tag.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought of this :P.

Seriously though, I like the changes in general, looks very good.
Edit history:
kirkq: 2014-11-13 10:49:46 pm
kirkq: 2014-11-13 10:44:02 pm
kirkq: 2014-11-13 10:43:46 pm
Die Hard 2013.
Please direct additional leaderboards related questions to speedrun.com forums: http://www.speedrun.com/The_Site/forum

In response to Blubbler's earlier post:

speedrun.com currently has the ability for moderators of a game to insert times for other people.  In that sense the goal over time looks to be featuring the best times for numerous games in some capacity.  Exact logistics will be worked out as the site expands and more people get involved.
Quote from jape:

I just got two more asking for this today. How many feel that this should be a thing? (When using "always display me", [nosrl] will still make you not featured)
Talk to the Hand
That could be useful.

Also, I want to make sure I'm understanding auto-detect correctly: If you're using auto-detect, but your title doesn't have any keywords from either list in it, you won't be displayed, correct? It's only if you have words in the "display me" list (Or you're racing) that you even have a chance of being detected.
Quote from Emptyeye:
Also, I want to make sure I'm understanding auto-detect correctly: If you're using auto-detect, but your title doesn't have any keywords from either list in it, you won't be displayed, correct? It's only if you have words in the "display me" list (Or you're racing) that you even have a chance of being detected.

That is correct.
Quote from Sluip:
I just got two more asking for this today. How many feel that this should be a thing? (When using "always display me", [nosrl] will still make you not featured)

To clarify, this was updated to be the case last night.
Quote from Vulajin:

I am too.  My primary stream focus is Game Development, but I also do speedruns as a secondary thing.  Instead of an 'opt-out' tag that 90% of my stuff would need to be tagged with, I would think a 'opt-in' tag that 10% of my stuff has to have added would be easier.  Of course, I'm also an awkward use case (I'd guess most SRL users primarily speedrun, and aren't quite as casual as I am), so the [nosrl] tag may be better serving the majority of the users.  I don't know.
To clarify: With auto-detect, you shouldn't be picked up during that 90% of the time. There *is* an opt-in tag using the auto-detect setting, but it is [srl], not [yesrl].

I too am disappointed we didn't go with [yesrl].
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2014-11-14 11:39:36 am
Quote from Asvarduil:
I am too.  My primary stream focus is Game Development, but I also do speedruns as a secondary thing.  Instead of an 'opt-out' tag that 90% of my stuff would need to be tagged with, I would think a 'opt-in' tag that 10% of my stuff has to have added would be easier.  Of course, I'm also an awkward use case (I'd guess most SRL users primarily speedrun, and aren't quite as casual as I am), so the [nosrl] tag may be better serving the majority of the users.  I don't know.

I was being facetious, and there are opt-in tags that exist if you look at the profile page. Most terms referring to speedruns/attempts are opt-ins, plus there is [srl]. (However, these are overridden if you use any of the opt-outs.)
Is there any way to have a toggle on the SRL homepage to display a streamer's twitch info? This would eliminate the oft used excuse "I can't read the rules/FAQ cause I'm on SRL."
Quote from Caracarn:
Is there any way to have a toggle on the SRL homepage to display a streamer's twitch info? This would eliminate the oft used excuse "I can't read the rules/FAQ cause I'm on SRL."

We can check it out in the future, but my understanding is this would be a very involved feature to add for what's gained.
Hats off for transparency.  I had been listed before, and then sometime later I was no longer listed... no idea why and I like many other found the guesswork frustrating.  I'm really looking forward to testing it out the next time I stream.

While I personally would love to see there be a single centralized place to learn about world records, I don't personally care if this comes from SRL or another site.
Talk to the Hand
Okay, another question: If you change your title midstream, will SRL pick up on that? I did some non-speedrun-related testing of something today, and remembered at the last second before I actually started to throw [nosrl] onto the title. Just want to make sure stuff like going from speedrunning to not-speedrunning (Or vice versa) gets picked up providing you remember to change your title.
Yes, there will be a small delay but the front page will automatically pick up on any twitch title changes.
Talk to the Hand
Sweet. I don't anticipate stuff like that happening very often, but I don't want to get "dinged" because some overzealous page patroler happened to catch my stream during the two minutes or whatever it is delay between changing the title and SRL updating.
Edit history:
S.: 2014-12-03 08:04:28 am
S.: 2014-12-03 07:59:21 am
S.: 2014-12-03 07:59:05 am
S.: 2014-12-03 07:58:57 am
S.: 2014-12-03 07:57:31 am
Quote from Auto-detect infobox:
Your stream will always be shown while racing, regardless of your Twitch title.

Fine with me, but then please don't send me this e-mail while doing a race:
Quote:
Hello S,

It seems you had an option toggled which displayed you on the SRL front page, while streaming non-speedrunning content. We've temporarily set your option to "Don't display me", which you can change back at your convenience by editing your personal settings on IRC; or by logging in to speedrunslive.com and changing this in the profile settings.

Can't really do anything about it if you force me on your front page now, can I?
Quote from S.:
Can't really do anything about it if you force me on your front page now, can I?

Your stream title was logged at purge time as being set to "Tomb Raider III Casul [sic] Playthrough via SRL involving JustShoez and OGEid || I Am Still Bad And Have Not Improved Edition".  Setting your stream title like this does make it more difficult to determine whether or not a specific stream meets the frontpage criteria.  In the future, you may want to make it more obvious you're doing a speedrun. Thankfully the first warning is just that - a warning.

That said, we are working on ways to indicate to frontpage mods that users are in a race before a purge goes through to prevent these kinds of things from happening in the future.
Well it was a blind race I did on SRL. According to the Auto-detect option, using a title like that would not put me on the front page, since it has none of the whitelisted words in it. Therefore there would have not been any problem at all.

However, this rule was overridden because it was a race on SRL, so there was literally nothing I could've done. But I got a warning anyway.

Judging from the title of the e-mail "Something something Warning 1", it seems there's some kind of three-strikes (or something similar) system in place. I now have a warning/strike on me despite it being of no fault of my own. So the next time I do make a genuine mistake, I will get banned permanently despite it only being the first time I made the mistake.

Glad to hear you are working on this though.
As the FAQ points out, there are 3 warning levels - 1st = no penalty beyond set stream pref, 2nd/3rd = 1 day off page, 4th and above = 1 week off page.  We aren't going to permanently ban anyone from the front page unless we have a good reason to, and even then, these will be discussed on a case-by-case basis and is completely separate from the purge system (the old front page ban system has actually been in place for years now).  In your case, it looks like it was an honest mistake so it's unlikely it'll lead to anything besides just having the warning on there for a bit.  Races definitely should not be purged as they are appropriate content for the front page in addition to being forced on the front page unless stream preference is "don't show."

If this does end up being an issue, we'll try to come up with a solution.  I'm aware of the problem with races showing up and will actively work on a solution for this problem, but there shouldn't be any other major issues with the way the system is set up as far as I'm aware.  For now, I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's unlikely to happen again as long as you be cautious to make clear what you're streaming from your title.  In addition, the warnings will be reset after 3 months of not receiving any warnings.

To make clear - just because you receive X number of warnings does not mean you will be banned from the front page permanently.  The command to do that is entirely separate from the purge system (and is actually more privileged than the purge command).
That sounds good. Thanks for the insight!
Dapper as fuck.
Question:  When I fill out my profile on SRL my username always disappears from the Twitch area after I save.  All other usernames stay put when I save.  Is this what's supposed to happen?  Thanks.
Minor feature request:
Sometimes I like to open two streams in different tabs, just to browse another channel for a bit to see if I want to switch over. Before the update I could middle-click on a different streamer and open up a new tab and stay on SRL with both streams. With the update, I can open a stream in a new tab with the twitch/hitbox icon, but I go off of SRL on that tab that way. It'd be nice to be able to have two SRL tabs with one click.